Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 131 of 131

Thread: To all the people who say Rex and Tanny suck at drafting

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Hill will be a stud.......
    Great pick by the Jets, a 2nd round WR who can't catch the football.

  2. #122
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    10,506
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Great pick by the Jets, a 2nd round WR who can't catch the football.
    He isn't the only one on the roster who can't catch. For as many mistakes as Sanchez made, there would have been less if the wideouts could actually catch routine passes

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    He isn't the only one on the roster who can't catch. For as many mistakes as Sanchez made, there would have been less if the wideouts could actually catch routine passes
    67, you should become a full blown Seahawks fan, they have a great future.

    Jets, not so much.

  4. #124
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    10,506
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    67, you should become a full blown Seahawks fan, they have a great future.

    Jets, not so much.
    Can't, being a fan is not something you can turn on or off. I root for the Jets with my heart, and I root for the Hawks for financial gain.

  5. #125
    Just a note.

    It's easy to draft starters when you have lots of holes. What's harder is to draft starters when you don't have a lot of holes. When your team is stacked from top to bottom, draft picks either produce or get cut.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by McElroy14 View Post
    if my memory serves correctly, I do believe the Jets tried to acquire Miles a few years back before he had that blow up year. Cowboys wanted a first round pick I think.
    I think you're right. My point is that you'd think the Jets, because of geography, would have scouted Miles and seen some potential there. It's not like the guy didn't flash in college.

    BTW, he may have been worth a low first round pick.
    Last edited by TheBlairThomasFumble; 12-15-2012 at 10:11 AM.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    I think you're right. My point is that you'd think the Jets, because of geography, would have scouted Miles and seen some potential there. It's not like the guy didn't flash in college.

    BTW, he may have been worth a low first round pick.
    Four years removed from Monmouth University, the Garfield, N.J., product has taken the NFL by storm after the receiver-needy Jets passed on him as a restricted free agent this past offseason. They had Austin in for a visit but never offered him a contract based on his three years with the Cowboys. It would have cost them a second-round pick and they'd previously been burned when they gave up a two to the Titans for the unproductive Justin McCareins............
    .......
    .......

    At Monmouth, Austin became the school's all-time leader in receiving yards, catches and receiving touchdowns and was a three-time All-NEC selection. But, like Mucha, Callahan told pro scouts Austin's best years were ahead of him.



    "He was invited to the combine and put up very good numbers for kind of an unheard-of guy. He was basically in the top group in every one of the measurable categories," Callahan says. "We thought he'd be drafted in maybe the fifth, sixth round. But I guess there are safer picks out there. It's a lot easier if you're in a war room to say 'take the second-best receiver from a school in the SEC or the Pac 10.'"

    All 32 teams passed and, although the Jets were interested in signing Austin as a free agent, no one showed more interest than the Cowboys, who were tipped off to Austin by scout Jim Garrett, who lived next door to the campus in Monmouth Beach. Garrett, the father of Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, worked with Austin at his Jersey shore house and had long been touting him at organizational meetings. The clincher came with a phone call from then-Cowboys coach Bill Parcells.

    "He was a Jersey guy. He had stories. I'm a Jersey guy through and through. It made the transition all that more comfortable," Austin says. "He told me he'd give me a fair shot. He told me I was a little raw but if I put in a lot of hard work and played special teams, I'd be able to grow as a wide receiver."

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009...s-austin-nfl/5

  8. #128
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    I think you're right. My point is that you'd think the Jets, because of geography, would have scouted Miles and seen some potential there. It's not like the guy didn't flash in college.

    BTW, he may have been worth a low first round pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Four years removed from Monmouth University, the Garfield, N.J., product has taken the NFL by storm after the receiver-needy Jets passed on him as a restricted free agent this past offseason. They had Austin in for a visit but never offered him a contract based on his three years with the Cowboys. It would have cost them a second-round pick and they'd previously been burned when they gave up a two to the Titans for the unproductive Justin McCareins............
    .......
    .......

    At Monmouth, Austin became the school's all-time leader in receiving yards, catches and receiving touchdowns and was a three-time All-NEC selection. But, like Mucha, Callahan told pro scouts Austin's best years were ahead of him.



    "He was invited to the combine and put up very good numbers for kind of an unheard-of guy. He was basically in the top group in every one of the measurable categories," Callahan says. "We thought he'd be drafted in maybe the fifth, sixth round. But I guess there are safer picks out there. It's a lot easier if you're in a war room to say 'take the second-best receiver from a school in the SEC or the Pac 10.'"

    All 32 teams passed and, although the Jets were interested in signing Austin as a free agent, no one showed more interest than the Cowboys, who were tipped off to Austin by scout Jim Garrett, who lived next door to the campus in Monmouth Beach. Garrett, the father of Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, worked with Austin at his Jersey shore house and had long been touting him at organizational meetings. The clincher came with a phone call from then-Cowboys coach Bill Parcells.

    "He was a Jersey guy. He had stories. I'm a Jersey guy through and through. It made the transition all that more comfortable," Austin says. "He told me he'd give me a fair shot. He told me I was a little raw but if I put in a lot of hard work and played special teams, I'd be able to grow as a wide receiver."

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009...s-austin-nfl/5

    ahh this explains this all.

  9. #129
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,695
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    I just have to ask: In what world are you living?

    2009

    Mark Sanchez - starting QB
    Shonn Greene - starting RB
    Matt Slauson - starting LG


    2010

    Kyle Wilson - starting CB
    Vlad Ducasse - backup LG (okay, he does suck)
    Joe McKnight - starting KR
    John Conner - gone
    Santonio Holmes - starting WR. Traded a 5th rounder this year for him


    2011

    Mo Wilkerson - starting DE
    Antonio Cromartie - starting CB. Traded a 2nd rounder this year for him
    Kenrick Ellis - backup DT
    Bilal Powell - starting RB
    Jeremy Kerley - starting WR
    Greg McElroy - Won a game for us. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't be making a run for the playoffs
    Scotty McKnight - gone

    2012

    Quinton Coples - starting/backup DE. Hard to tell really. He gets a lot of reps.
    Stephen Hill - starting WR
    Demario Davis - starting MLB
    Josh Bush - backup S
    Terrence Ganaway - gone
    Robert Griffin - gone
    Antonio Allen - backup S
    Jordan White - backup WR

    So... I just have to say: What the **** are you people thinking?

    Look it over. They have drafted studs every year. Even including this most recent draft, we have people starting on our team from every single draft in the past 4 years. What else could you ask for?

    Out of 23 draft picks, 19 of them are still on our team in contributing roles. 13 of them are starting or are getting lots of reps. 2009, 2011, and 2012 have all been stellar drafts that got us multiple good starters. Look at the 2011 draft and then tell me Tanny doesn't know what he's doing. Wilkerson, Cro, Ellis, Powell, Kerley.

    Clearly, you are wrong. What do you have to say for yourselves?
    The guy in red is the only one listed (other than Cro and Holmes, since they're not draft picks and have nothing to do with picking propects at a draft) that would start on any other team.

    Yeah, you made a great case.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by McElroy14 View Post
    ahh this explains this all.
    Austin went undrafted in 2006. Our 2006 draft was pretty good.

    we can't win em all.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    The Sanchez draft is the one that hurts
    This thread got me to checking the last four drafts for all of the AFCE teams. The numbers are startling.

    Total AFCE picks in the last four years;

    Pats - 40
    Bills - 35
    Mia - 32
    Jets - 23

    With so few picks it's amazing the Jets aren't in the cellar. At some point they'll need to start building a sturdy team through the draft and stop trading those picks so they can chase rainbows.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us