Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reasons Why The NFL Is Fixed For Profit

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Jets-related excerpt for those who did not read in entirety. Conspiracy? don't care, I'm claiming that Lombardi

Owners business dealings result in wins and losses, Super Bowls are rewarded not earned through play. There are several cases for every single Super Bowl as mentioned in the book The Fix Is In by Brian Tuohy. But we will focus on just a few here. In 1969 Super Bowl III was the greatest upset in NFL history, but was it really? The league was merging with the AFL and there was growing sentiment among the NFL faithful that this business deal was going to fail because of the supposed "inferior" play by the AFL.

The Green Bay Packers had demolished the KC Chiefs and Oakland Raiders in SB I and II. The Baltimore Colts were steamrolling opponents in the NFL with an all-time high 18 points per game win margin. The Jets beat Oakland in the AFL title game but by no means were a power house and were double-digit underdogs. Another AFL loss in the big game would spell doom for the league and it's billion dollar merger. Magically, the Colts played their worst game of their lives with 5 turnovers and getting shut down 16-7.

Bubba Smith was reported saying in a 1969 Playboy interview, "It felt like it was fixed for the Jets to win. Something just seemed weird with the way our offense was doing." This victory for the Jets was vital for the NFL as it sold the public on the AFL being a viable league thus completing the merger and building the NFL we know today. It was also reported that Baltimore Colts owner, Carroll Rosenbloom, bet $1 million on the game. Without the Jets winning, we may have a different NFL today. You can watch Super Bowl 3 and judge for yourself at http://youtu.be/iMjlCuJKQ2c .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait for the sequel ... he's just leaving us hanging at the end with that TO quote! can't wait to find out what he said!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Ariana Grande is a doll (and 19 years-old, so relax, folks).

Although I can't quantify it, the following actually happened: Back in the late 70s or early 80s, my brother and I were watching a Bronco's game on Monday Night Football. Toward the end of the third quarter, out of nowhere, a graphic flashes on the screen with the names of the two teams and a final score. Literally, it appeared for one or two seconds before going back to the game.

We both looked at each other and wondered WTF that meant. Guess what? It wound up being the game's final score. Coincidence? You decide. But after that moment, I have always believed the NFL, at least in part, is rigged.
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 12-14-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Missing word.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    seriously, though, give it a read. Coincidence or conspiracy? makes you think

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ass fumble was a planned play...

In all seriousness, the fix theory applies to all sports... Knicks getting Ewing, the Penguins getting Malkin and Crosby to make Lemioux happy, Jeters HR in 96, Buckner in 86, numerous NBA calls/no calls and the list goes on...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I always think games are fixed, but then why wouldn't there be more SB winners? I have always subscribed to the new stadium theory.
    So couldn't that be the reason that Woody wanted to build his own stadium in New York? Force the NFL to swing some luck our way?

But of course, every story needs good guys and bad guys, winners and losers (even lovable losers sometimes).

Everyone winning doesn't equate to higher ratings, sometimes more people tune in to see how a perpetual loser is going to cost itself the game or season (Red Sox pre-2004)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory.

This is just bull**** though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    well researched article, but no.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory.

This is just bull**** though.
    Why? Go look up how games were fixed in Italy's Serie A. Juventus, Italy's version of the Yankees, was caught red handed. Plus, game fixing by referees has been proven all over Italy and South America.

You think we're immune to fixing for profit in the U.S. I don't.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite part of this was how he gives you the probability formula that anyone can look up and then tells you the results while never bothering to show you how he got them. Why show the defacto formula and not the work? Maybe to make the brain-dead think it's technical and based on number crunching????? Then the article goes on and on without any number crunching at all. So again, why give a simple probability formula???? Oh yeah, to make it sound technical.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    well researched article, but no.
    My reaction to the article:

"Mr. Gambini that was lucid, intelligent a well thought out objection. Over-ruled"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Why? Go look up how games were fixed in Italy's Serie A. Juventus, Italy's version of the Yankees, was caught red handed. Plus, game fixing by referees has been proven all over Italy and South America.

You think we're immune to fixing for profit in the U.S. I don't.
    Nothing surprises me in soccer.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing surprises me in soccer.
    LOL. Believe it or not, first division soccer in European nations like Italy, England, and Spain is bigger than the NFL.

IMO, one day, the NFL will be shown to have been complicit in game fixing. Too much money to be made by many powerful people, some on the wrong side of the law. That will be a true shocker for most NFL fans.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    LOL. Believe it or not, first division soccer in European nations like Italy, England, and Spain is bigger than the NFL.

IMO, one day, the NFL will be shown to have been complicit in game fixing. Too much money to be made by many powerful people, some on the wrong side of the law. That will be a true shocker for most NFL fans.
    If you're one who believes this, why do you bother to watch?\

That's what I don't get about people who believe in conspiracy theories. If you think everything sucks and is fixed and the world is out to get you, why do you even bother?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmmm-didnt the giants win the superbowl shortly after getting a new stadium. If the league is indeed rigged or fixed the Jets or Giants will be in the Superbowl next year as the 1st Home team to play in the big game on its biggest stage with a novel twist of cold weather. Bet the ranch on the Giants ...

Ill tell ya what i read the entire article and its not far fetched but if it is fixed...which team is the chosen one for this season, do we even know yet. Seattle perhaps, I mean that was the worst call this year sooooo....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're one who believes this, why do you bother to watch?\

That's what I don't get about people who believe in conspiracy theories. If you think everything sucks and is fixed and the world is out to get you, why do you even bother?
    Why go to the Opera or re-watch a movie? You know how it will end, right? It's all entertainment.

I don't believe all games are fixed; just ones in which the NFL needs a certain outcome for playoff implications, promotion in certain markets, etc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    New York is the largest media market out there. Why won't they let the Jets have a dynasty when it could drive a huge increase in revenue? Why not let the Jets and Giants be the top dogs and fight each other? So much potential wasted.

Why doesn't the NFL recognize that they're doing a poor job of fixing the game when guys like this author could maximize the results with his technical expertise? All the NFL needs to do is watch "the Running Man" to see how effective a genius like this could be.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets beating the Colts was definitely fixed.

I don't think there's much disagreement on that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "tuck rule" WTF

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I play golf with a referee in the NFL, he says while there is certainly no pre-meditated fix, there are refs who do like and dislike certain players and coaches, and that calls DEFINITELY are affected by this.