Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Elementary School Shooting In CT....

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    A little defensive? Know what? If you were my kid's kindergarten teacher and I found out you felt the need to own 2 of the three firearms she owned, along with 3 other pistols, 2 "assault" rifles and 3 more rifles, I wouldn't want you anywhere near my kid. What "right do I have to question?" Are you for real? I have the right of a parent, that's my ****ing right.
    Gun people are gun people. I'm not a gun person; I'm not gonna say I really get gun people. But at the same time, I'd find it perfectly possible that my old college drinking buddy or my accountant or my kid's teacher is a gun person, and I wouldn't hold it against them. There are a lot of gun people.

-
    Last edited by 32green; 12-15-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: I think its pretty obvious

-
    Last edited by 32green; 12-15-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: I think its pretty obvious.

OK I apologize to everyone here. seriously. i saw jet things posts telling me to "take it to the political forum" and thats where i THOUGHT i was. seriously i was posting there at the exact same time and I mixed them up. My bad

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    btw, did you know that FAR more children die by drowning in backyard swimming pools rather than by gunshots EVERY single year? so should then be outlawed too? after all, do we need pools? what purpose do they really serve ? this is how dumb you sound
    Excellent point. How about bringing us a study on murder weapons - guns vs. swimming pools.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Excellent point. How about bringing us a study on murder weapons - guns vs. swimming pools.
    Exactly. Accident vs murder.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Gun people are gun people. I'm not a gun person; I'm not gonna say I really get gun people. But at the same time, I'd find it perfectly possible that my old college drinking buddy or my accountant or my kid's teacher is a gun person, and I wouldn't hold it against them. There are a lot of gun people.
    Do you have kids?

Cuz I'm trying to understand, how on a day when 20 bright, beautiful little five year old lives were erased, executed, one by one, with gunshots to the head, by weapons that belonged to one of their teachers, how someone's first and major response is to defend elementary school teachers' right to own assault weapons. Before even expressing sympathy or regret for the dead children, or if he couldn't do that, just simply shutting up for a day.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

New details on the shooter:

- Aspergers
    - Personality disorders
    - Known troubled kid in school, disliked by neighbors
    - Father paying $240K a year in alimony, vice president at GE Capital and had been a partner at global accounting giant Ernst & Young.
    - Mother stopped working for awhile to take care of him, was not a teacher at the school.
    - Gamer

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1220752

http://gma.yahoo.com/connecticut-sho...opstories.html

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 12-15-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Folks....lets use this thread to post news, mourn and pray for the victims. Keep the gun debate out of it. Not the place or time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    OK I apologize to everyone here. seriously. i saw jet things posts telling me to "take it to the political forum" and thats where i THOUGHT i was. seriously i was posting there at the exact same time and I mixed them up. My bad
    Yeah, I'll bet.

Take a break until you figure out how to use the site.

-

Hall Of Fame
    SAR, where did you get that pic?

Edit - nevermind I found it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Frankly I don't see what the 'gamer' tag has to do with anything - it's probably the very last thing that would have contributed to his psychosis. It's all all too convenient scapegoat for outraged moms and the media, and it pisses me off.

They never blame movies or the media themselves for desensitizing us to violence, videogames are always the first thing people point the finger at.

They never blame recent Netflix rentals, list of books they've recently checked out at the library, or websites they've visited.

When the media inaccurately fingered Ryan Lanza, his Facebook page has Mass Effect as one of his likes' on his home page - immediately afterwards angy moms start spamming the Mass Effect Facebook page with hate messages and misdirected anger. I had a link for this somewhere, but now I can't find it. Anyway, since people have swarmed to its defense.

http://www.facebook.com/masseffect?fref=ts

Maybe they should be pointing their anger at his parents instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    The guy is just a jerkoff, this whole thing gives autistic people a bad name. There are stories circulating that he also had OCD, and had clashed frequently with this strict mother.
    Well, it's interesting that few seem to care (and in fact relish) that it gives the millions of legal, law abiding and responsible gun owners in America a bad name. So mcuh so, they are widely demonized and declared the "problem".

But mention Autism, or other forms of ilness, mental or otherwise, and it's suddenly most vital to protect all austistics from generalized slander?

Clearly this kid was severely disturbed and damaged mentally, and that was the primary cause of this event.

It wasn't games. It wasn't guns. It wasn't the price of tea in China.

Broken human beings do broken and horrific things. It's a shame we, as a society, only seem to care after the fact.....when it's before-the-fact that is the only time it could have been stopped.

Hall Of Fame
    Frankly I don't see what the 'gamer' tag has to do with anything - it's probably the very last thing that would have contributed to his psychosis. It's all all too convenient scapegoat for outraged moms and the media, and it pisses me off.

They never blame movies or the media themselves for desensitizing us to violence, videogames are always the first thing people point the finger at.

They never blame recent Netflix rentals, list of books they've recently checked out at the library, or websites they've visited.

When the media inaccurately fingered Ryan Lanza, his Facebook page has Mass Effect as one of his likes' on his home page - immediately afterwards angy moms start spamming the Mass Effect Facebook page with hate messages and misdirected anger. I had a link for this somewhere, but now I can't find it. Anyway, since people have swarmed to its defense.

http://www.facebook.com/masseffect?fref=ts

Maybe they should be pointing their anger at his parents instead.
    I agree. There seems to be this negative stereotype associated with "gamers". We don't want children to play sports b.c they might get hurt, we don't want them to play video games b.c it desensitizes them to violence. Lets just put every child in a bubble.

How about being a good parent, don't be in denial about your child's problems and get them some help.

This is not about guns or gaming it is about a breakdown in society and the American family. We are an unhealthy country physically and emotionally. Children are raised in day cares b.c both parents have to work bc the cost of living is so high. The divorce rate is high. And the parents who are together spoil their children and never blame them for anything or hold them accountable. Everybody wins, everybody gets a trophy. God forbid someone's feelings gets hurt. We run from problems or try to make excuses. Good parents are few and far between. And there are plenty of excellent parents out there and they are the heroes. Unfortunately the number of bad parents seems to be growing.

Rant aside, we might find out this woman was an excellent parent. Some people are just evil. And for that there is no protection.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-15-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Do you have kids?

Cuz I'm trying to understand, how on a day when 20 bright, beautiful little five year old lives were erased, executed, one by one, with gunshots to the head, by weapons that belonged to one of their teachers, how someone's first and major response is to defend elementary school teachers' right to own assault weapons. Before even expressing sympathy or regret for the dead children, or if he couldn't do that, just simply shutting up for a day.
    +1. Mind boggling.

I'm trying to be respectful to those who support gun rights today. I have tremendously conflicted feelings about it. But PLEASE, this is NOT the time. even if you are a rabid gun rights proponent, you HURT your cause right now.

People are hurting and are lashing out against anything then can. Let them. They need to. It's a senseless act that people are trying to make sense out of. part of that process is to lash out, because they are ANGRY and rightfully so.

I don't know if guns control would stop an attack like this. But PLEASE let people lash out and express their anger without starting an argument.

This is about those poor kids and their families and the tremendous feeling of anguish and helplessness we all feel.

I hope we can all just take a step back from our political leanings and just be good to one another.

there will be plenty of time and other places to "make points"

If this happened to me I could pretty much guarantee you that I probably wouldn't be able to live to see the next Christmas. I mean, how the hell do you go on after something like that? I don't know if I could.
    Murder of your little child? I have no idea.

The nightmares, PTSD, depression and all the rest for these folks, to go along with the loss of their beautiful children. It's so unfair.

They are going to need help and support. I'd say really the hardest time will be 3 months out when all of the funerals, memorial tributes, and all the rest have faded and you have to walk past your kid's bedroom, figure out what to do with all of the toys and clothes. Do you keep everything? Give them away? Do you keep their room exactly the same.

God have mercy on them. It's so sad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Do you have kids?

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    +1. Mind boggling.

I'm trying to be respectful to those who support gun rights today. I have tremendously conflicted feelings about it. But PLEASE, this is NOT the time. even if you are a rabid gun rights proponent, you HURT your cause right now.

People are hurting and are lashing out against anything then can. Let them. They need to. It's a senseless act that people are trying to make sense out of. part of that process is to lash out, because they are ANGRY and rightfully so.

I don't know if guns control would stop an attack like this. But PLEASE let people lash out and express their anger without starting an argument.

This is about those poor kids and their families and the tremendous feeling of anguish and helplessness we all feel.

I hope we can all just take a step back from our political leanings and just be good to one another.

there will be plenty of time and other places to "make points"

This whole 'gun person' thing....I don't get.
    When it all boils down to it, guns are just things, like possessions.

Like being a 'car person' or a 'movie person' or 'book person'. I can't think of any of the previous instances where any of those people will value any "thing" they love or treasure more than an actual human life.

This is probably a corny or bad time to quote something from a movie (a violent one, no less) but it always sticks with me.

"The things you own - end up owning you."

It really is incredibly true.

/soabbox

Jets Insider VIP
    I had just read that the semi-auto rifle they recovered at the scene was not ever used or fired. Just the handguns.

This whole 'gun person' thing....I don't get.
    When it all boils down to it, guns are just things, like possessions.

Like being a 'car person' or a 'movie person' or 'book person'. I can't think of any of the previous instances where any of those people will value any "thing" they love or treasure more than an actual human life.

This is probably a corny or bad time to quote something from a movie (a violent one, no less) but it always sticks with me.

"The things you own - end up owning you."

It really is incredibly true.

/soabbox
    In my family we are pretty much split on guns. My nephew is what I'd call a gun person, but he does it responsibly so its very much like the other hobbies you mention. He shoots only at a gun club as well as hunting. It's not my thing...I've shot guns but don't get any pleasure from it whatsoever, and I'm too much of a ***** to kill a deer. But I do believe people should have the right to own a gun to protect their home and family. See....now I'm ignoring my own advice to not get into this discussion....