Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: Elementary School Shooting In CT....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I think part of the problem is whenever they mention it, they mention the autism/Aspergers syndrome first, then the 'mental health issues' - almost like the former was cause for the latter, or related in some way.

Definitely did not do the autism community any favors.
    My rule of thumb is...if there are any photos of you with YOUR WHOLE PUPIL EXPOSED...in any photo, perhaps something is up.

Call me crazy, but these photos come out after the fact and I just go "duh!"

-

This broke my heart.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    This broke my heart.

[IMG]

No wonder in broke you heart. It's heartbreaking.

I'm surprised Mr. Lanza waited 17 years to finally ditch those two.

Jets Insider VIP
    Family of Josephine Gay Releases a Statement:

On Friday, December 14, 2012, our beautiful daughter, Josephine Grace Gay, was killed in an unimaginable tragedy at her elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. Joey, many of her friends, teachers, and school staff members were taken from our loving community. Joey turned 7 three days prior to this tragedy and was looking forward to celebrating at her birthday party with many of these friends the next day.

Although our family is devastated, we are deeply comforted in the knowledge that she is no longer scared or hurting and rests in the arms of our Savior, Jesus Christ. It is through His sufficient grace that we are able to get through this. Our innocent, trusting little girl stared into the face of unimaginable evil and overcame it in Christ. She was not alone in her courage.

Our small, close-knit community acted instantly. First responders from our town and those surrounding quickly removed surviving children and staff members from the scene. Connecticut state troopers have tended to our families around the clock, surrounding us with protection and compassion. Neighbors, religious communities, townspeople, and professionals are providing the care and love that we are so in need of now. We see this movement grow daily with acts of love and kindness pouring in from around the country and the world. We see how evil is defeated.

Since Joey's passing, we have received many media requests for our story and for pictures of our daughter. Although we are protecting our family’s privacy during this time of healing, we believe it is important to share some of Joey's story. It will help us if others know what a special person she was and how she inspired everyone she met. Joey was autistic and severely apraxic. She could not speak, yet she touched the lives of so many around her: teachers, therapists, friends, neighbors, all loved and cherished her. Joey was social and affectionate; she smiled, she loved hugs, and she even had a wonderful sense of humor. Her spirit was indomitable. She participated in rigorous therapy and treatment on a daily basis without complaint. She loved to play with her Barbie dolls, iPad, and computer, swim, swing, and be anywhere her sisters were.

Josephine loved the color purple. Born in Maryland, she grew up in a family of Ravens fans and developed an affinity for all things purple. She rarely left the house without wearing something purple. After her passing, many friends who visited wore purple clothing to honor her. On Saturday a family friend tied purple balloons on the mailboxes on our street, and on Sunday the neighborhood children and her sisters and cousins released purple balloons with written messages of love to her in heaven.

We will not let this tragedy define her life. Instead, we will honor her inspiring and generous spirit. We have established Joey’s Fund in her name through the Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism. The proceeds of this fund will help families raising autistic children. It’s our way of dealing with this pain and never letting go of her love.

Many people have reached out to us asking to provide help or support. We ask that, if you are able, please contribute to Joey's Fund, and if you are so inclined, please wear purple on Saturday.

Bob and Michele Gay

How to donate:
    Online: Doug Flutie Foundation

On the donation page please select “in Memory of” and type “Joey’s Fund” in the box for “acknowledgement/address and comments,”

By Mail:
    Send checks to:
    The Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism
    Specify “In Memory of Josephine Gay” on the check.
    Mailing address:
    The Doug Flutie, Jr. Foundation for Autism
    PO Box 767
    Framingham, MA 01701

All League
    NRA calls for armed police officer in every school
    By By PHILIP ELLIOTT | Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The nation's largest gun-rights lobby called Friday for armed police officers to be posted in every American school to stop the next killer "waiting in the wings."

The National Rifle Association broke its silence Friday on last week's shooting rampage at a Connecticut elementary school that left 26 children and staff dead.

The group's top lobbyist, Wayne LaPierre, said at a Washington news conference that "the next Adam Lanza," the man responsible for last week's mayhem, is planning an attack on another school.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," LaPierre said.

He blamed video games, movies and music videos for exposing children to a violent culture day in and day out.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

That NRA press conference was hugely dissapointing. At a time when they could have led the conversation, they chose to dig their heels in their own alternate reality. With LaPierre citing video games and movies made twenty years ago, he sounded like a curmudgeonly grandfather, or the Drunk Uncle SNL character. He did nothing but enforce the opinion that his organization is painfully out of touch with society.

And that's a shame, because I am a supporter of gun rights and the Second Amendment. The "policies" that LaPierre put forth are embarrassingly short-sighted, and probably not even possible -- practically or fiscally. It's amazing to think that this is the best they came up with after a week of media blackout.

The NRA jumped the shark today.

Passing more laws hasn't worked yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    That NRA press conference was hugely dissapointing. At a time when they could have led the conversation, they chose to dig their heels in their own alternate reality. With LaPierre citing video games and movies made twenty years ago, he sounded like a curmudgeonly grandfather, or the Drunk Uncle SNL character. He did nothing but enforce the opinion that his organization is painfully out of touch with society.

And that's a shame, because I am a supporter of gun rights and the Second Amendment. The "policies" that LaPierre put forth are embarrassingly short-sighted, and probably not even possible -- practically or fiscally. It's amazing to think that this is the best they came up with after a week of media blackout.

For me, it was when they put Chuck Heston as the face of the organization.

EDIT: But, you're right. Today's "response" is a joke.

Do the even have "music videos" anymore?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

+1

-

All League

There are lots of supporters of gun rights and the Second Amendment, me included, who are just tired of the NRA's refusal to give an inch on even common sense issues like criminal background checks.

As one writer put it: "Is the NRA working for gun-owners, many of whom, according to polling, support tougher restrictions on gun ownership— or is the NRA serving the gunmaker lobby— which is purely interested in policies that will promote greater gun sales and more profits?"
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 12-21-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

Who exactly cares what the NRA says? I think that with some publicity...some people will drop their memberships. revenue down, less power.

If this is played right, the NRA could be a shell of itself in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Who exactly cares what the NRA says? I think that with some publicity...some people will drop their memberships. revenue down, less power.

If this is played right, the NRA could be a shell of itself in a few years.
    Believe it or not, a lot of people follow the NRA like a religion. Not so much around NY/NJ, but other parts of the country it's amazing.

I, a gun owner, am NOT an NRA member. I have access to tons of ranges/training/resources, and have never felt the need to put money into membership.

As for the press conference, remember one thing. Supporters of the NRA donate money to political types. Don't think that doesn't sway House/Senate representatives' decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    There are lots of supporters of gun rights and the Second Amendment, me included, who are just tired of the NRA's refusal to give an inch on even common sense issues like criminal background checks.

As one writer put it: "Is the NRA working for gun-owners, many of whom, according to polling, support tougher restrictions on gun ownership— or is the NRA serving the gunmaker lobby— which is purely interested in policies that will promote greater gun sales and more profits?"
    This is my point. I DON'T want restrictions on what types of weapons should be allowed, but I'm all for doing background checks and rewarding those people who are good, decent, law abiding citizens with the privilege of owning whatever they want. If you were the ATF agent, and you were doing a background check on a class 3 item, and the individual is a 22 year old high school drop out, no job, with a history of psychological counseling for depression (not mental illness, just depression), I would say that the individual should be denied the item until he proves to be a more responsible member of society.

Is that fair?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    ...the individual is a 22 year old high school drop out, no job, with a history of psychological counseling for depression (not mental illness, just depression), I would say that the individual should be denied the item until he proves to be a more responsible member of society.

Is that fair?
    Sure is.

Would it be fair to deny his mother the right as well?

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Sure is.

Would it be fair to deny his mother the right as well?
    Perhaps if there's a red flag in the home. I.e., does an individual with history of mental illness or depression live in the home? Perhaps the types of weapons could be denied if someone in the home has the same disqualifying factors. Once again, I don't believe that weapons should be cash and carry, as they are in many states.

At this point, restricting firearms isn't going to help. They're out there. 400,000,000 guns are in the civilian world.

Jets Insider VIP

An absolute train wreck.

They kept quiet for an entire week and this is what they came up with. Blaming Hollywood and videogames. Pathetic. Even more pathetic is that the NRA came out with their own (crappy) video game once called 'NRA Gun Club' in 2006.

Even one of the biggest critics of violent video games bashed the NRA over that presser.

http://kotaku.com/5970577/even-one-o...-today?tag=nra

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Perhaps if there's a red flag in the home. I.e., does an individual with history of mental illness or depression live in the home? Perhaps the types of weapons could be denied if someone in the home has the same disqualifying factors. Once again, I don't believe that weapons should be cash and carry, as they are in many states.

At this point, restricting firearms isn't going to help. They're out there. 400,000,000 guns are in the civilian world.
    It's not the number that makes it pointless to restrict guns. It's the profit from making them and selling them.

Just like alcohol and tobacco. Americans death dealing industries also have the most power lobbies.

Sent from a phone using an app