Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Elementary School Shooting In CT....

All Pro
    I think most of us expect to find dysfunction in this guy's past, but we should give time for all the facts to come out and for us to calm down before we disparage the Mom.

The U.S.'s gun laws are the loosest in the developed world, so it should come as no surprise it's rate of gun homicide is the highest.

Maybe I'm being reactionary/upset with what has happened, but my feeling is that the ownership of many types of guns (automatic, semi, assault, rifles, etc.) should be outlawed, and the process to get and keep a gun should be much stricter too.

Japan is proof as to the effectiveness of strict gun control as they have practically no gun violence.

Just 2 gun homicides in 2006 and 11 gun homicides in 2008...
    We had 12000 gun homicides in the US in 2008...

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

Times are changing, and the crack down on guns is coming... After what happened in this school, just 2 to 2.5 minutes of shooting and 28 dead...
    I'd say it's about time, that's just totally f'd up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    The U.S.'s gun laws are the loosest in the developed world, so it should come as no surprise it's rate of gun homicide is the highest.

Maybe I'm being reactionary/upset with what has happened, but my feeling is that the ownership of many types of guns (automatic, semi, assault, rifles, etc.) should be outlawed, and the process to get and keep a gun should be much stricter too.

Japan is proof as to the effectiveness of strict gun control as they have practically no gun violence.

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

Times are changing, and the crack down on guns is coming... After what happened in this school, just 2 to 2.5 minutes of shooting and 28 dead...

Since its obvious the soapbox brigade must be heard, despite our pleas... this thread has run its course in the Hampur.

Have fun in the Poli forum.

Knock yourselves out.

-
    Last edited by 32green; 12-15-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

Since its obvious the soapbox brigade must be heard, despite our pleas... this thread has run its course in the Hampur.

Have fun in the Poli forum.

Knock yourselves out.

-
    Sorry didn't see your other post(s).

Had a long reply written but the thread was locked.

Not going to rewrite it now.

TLDR Version: Borgo, agreed. PK, first beer is on me at a game. Mankind sucks and is good at killing. /end

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

Japan also doesn't have a massive illegal gun/drug problem with their neighboring countries. Because, you know, they're an ISLAND.

All League
    Can't the soap box posts just be deleted?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Japan also doesn't have a massive illegal gun/drug problem with their neighboring countries. Because, you know, they're an ISLAND.
    You are delusional... Weapons/Guns are the USA mass export. Guns and war are good for business and they aren't going other.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...di-Arabia.html

Problem is a lot of these weapons are also sold in the black market. Death is good for business.
    Last edited by dmitexxi; 12-16-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    What's making this even more unbearable is seeing the faces of the kids - I don't know how this Dad managed to get through his news conference/statement without completely losing it. I couldn't watch with a dry eye.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/16/us/con...rticle_sidebar

Hopefully something positive will come from this pain.

Maybe this country will begin to stop closing their collective eyes on the issues at hand, or should I say in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyJet View Post
    Newtown, Connecticut is my home town. I was born and raised in that lovely little town. My little brother was in school 5 minutes up the road at St. Rose of Lima during yesterdays events. The initial panic of not knowing which school it was, was terrifying. The thing that makes me sad, aside from the obvious loss of life, is from now on when I tell people where i'm from it will only be associated with one thing. Not the Giant flag pole in the center of town, or the wonderful sense of community and great environment to grow up in. I'm here in Ft Hood Tx getting ready for Afghanistan in about a week, just wanting to go home. Please help in any way you can.

http://www.crowdrise.com/shsrelief Here is a link for donations for funeral costs for the family, scholarship funds, etc.

and please read this, from my former HS Classmate Eddie Smalls

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...school/266317/

Thanks,

AJ
    So sorry for what has happened in your hometown.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post

Maybe this country will begin to stop closing their collective eyes on the issues at hand, or should I say in hand.
    What would be great is if the POTUS would lead and actually ask for new approaches to inability to insititutionalize the severely mentally ill, violence and popular culture, the obsession that these ill kids develop with guns and the accessibility to them, and the media's role in making these sick monsters INFAMOUS and thus giving them the impetus to want to become the next Columbine killers.

Regarding mental illness and aggression, this is an absolute MUST READ:
    http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.c...thinkable.html

Can you imagine if this was your kid?^

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    What would be great is if the POTUS would lead and actually ask for new approaches to inability to insititutionalize the severely mentally ill, violence and popular culture, the obsession that these ill kids develop with guns and the accessibility to them, and the media's role in making these sick monsters INFAMOUS and thus giving them the impetus to want to become the next Columbine killers.

Regarding mental illness and aggression, this is an absolute MUST READ:
    http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.c...thinkable.html

Can you imagine if this was your kid?^
    right, but sometimes you are unaware that someone is mentally ill.

If this lady had locked her guns in a closet where only she had access, this would not have happened. Its called being responsible and that is not something you can ensure when someone is buying a gun to "protect" their family.

Jets Insider VIP
    God bless those children taken so early and the adults as well. Terrifying as a parent I'm seriously conflicted when talking to my son in the morning before school. Got to give him my false bravado but I'm more nervous then him in reality.

right, but sometimes you are unaware that someone is mentally ill.

If this lady had locked her guns in a closet where only she had access, this would not have happened. Its called being responsible and that is not something you can ensure when someone is buying a gun to "protect" their family.
    Well clearly she knew her kid had some serious issues. He was estranged from his brother, which certainly doesn't suggest that all was well in the family.

So you've got an ill kid who is clearly not getting proper treatment - we'll find out about the warning signs; maybe he should have been institutionalized - who loves to play "graphically violent video games' and guns in the house that he had access to. That was a huge and tragic error on her part.

This is what produced a bloodbath.
    Last edited by TheBlairThomasFumble; 12-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    All of these people thinking that 'if the school was armed this wouldn't have happened', which isn't the answer, imo.

However I have yet to see anyone suggest that teachers or schools carry pepper spray or stun guns, which are non-lethal. At the very least a stun gun can help take an attacker down while others go to get help.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    My sister just told me, kid from Sandy Hook asked Braylon to ask Rex to wear Green and White tomm. SH colors.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed in spirit as I personally believe no one needs an automatic weapon. When I moved to NC and realized that almost all states allow concealed weapons, I was pretty taken back. well...many years later I bought a Glock 9mm. It is standard with a clip that holds 17 bullets. It came with 2 clips. I can shoot about 1 per second and clips go in , in about 3 seconds. So....your point is a big step in the right direction but with 2 guns, several clips, a normal gun can do quite a bit.
    See, your observation is germane on two levels. First, let the legislators, supported by research from their various staff, begin to understand what "automatic weapon" means, as well as their killing potential.

But, more importantly, let them begin the dialog toward creating some sort of action plan. Right now, I will almost guarantee, that in a few weeks all the consternation and outrage shown by the general public will dissipate. And, once again, any serious discussion will be put on the back burner until the next tragedy.

This morning, on CBS's Sunday Morning, a reporter mentioned that sales of guns this past Black Friday was the single largest ever. I don't remember the exact number, but was in the order of 280,000 guns. Let that sink in a second. Now think about the absurdity of allowing current laws to remain unchanged.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Interesting...I am wondering however how many of those handgun deaths in the US were inner city with illegal guns, Or... can we be provided how many of those deaths were

a) Between people who knew each other
    b) Gang related
    c) Random (Columbine etc..)