Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Report from inside source - Jets will sign BE to a contract at seasons end

All League
    Posting to the number of replies;

The source didn't go into details on why they were thinking on doing so, just that that was in the plans. Without revealing the source - the person is very close to Tanny.

The only thought I have about them doing so is that it has to be related to their cap situation for next year. It's been well documented here how they will be in another cap hell year where they will have to cut several veterans with high cap numbers to save money (Pace, Scott, Smith etc) and when they do so depending on how drastic they get in restructuring some deals they will have some flexibility to sign a couple of FA's. But with so many needs at RB, OG, OT and possibly Safety I'm guessing they don't want to spend a lot on WR's considering the monies they put into Holmes and Hill already. BE can probably be had for 2-3m per year because of his performance over the last two years has been poor and giving Sanchez more weapons is probably there #1 priority.

I am not sure how much the Jets could expect from a player in 3 games who doesn't know the new system. Could be a knee jerk move, but then again BE knows Sanchez and they have to give him more weapons not only for this season but next. With that said: what WR in FA could the Jets go after to give them a viable target for Sanchez? I know someone talked about here on JI going for Dwayne Bowe out in KC...but I'm not sure he would cost less than 5-7m a year, something the Jets can't afford to do.

With the amount of questions that have come from this posting as to the legitimacy of the source - maybe I should have just posted the question as should the Jets extend him...but I wanted to give you some news as I heard it.

I guess will see

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post

The source didn't go into details on why they were thinking on doing so, just that that was in the plans. Without revealing the source - the person is very close to Tanny.

The only thought I have about them doing so is that it has to be related to their cap situation for next year. It's been well documented here how they will be in another cap hell year where they will have to cut several veterans with high cap numbers to save money (Pace, Scott, Smith etc) and when they do so depending on how drastic they get in restructuring some deals they will have some flexibility to sign a couple of FA's. But with so many needs at RB, OG, OT and possibly Safety I'm guessing they don't want to spend a lot on WR's considering the monies they put into Holmes and Hill already. BE can probably be had for 2-3m per year because of his performance over the last two years has been poor and giving Sanchez more weapons is probably there #1 priority.

I am not sure how much the Jets could expect from a player in 3 games who doesn't know the new system. Could be a knee jerk move, but then again BE knows Sanchez and they have to give him more weapons not only for this season but next. With that said: what WR in FA could the Jets go after to give them a viable target for Sanchez? I know someone talked about here on JI going for Dwayne Bowe out in KC...but I'm not sure he would cost less than 5-7m a year, something the Jets can't afford to do.

With the amount of questions that have come from this posting as to the legitimacy of the source - maybe I should have just posted the question as should the Jets extend him...but I wanted to give you some news as I heard it.

I guess will see
    Hill is on a rookie contract he doesn't cost much

Braylon for $2-3m a yr? Are you kidding me? Are you Bray's agent?

He'll get a $1m a yr.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I think it could be a little bit of both.

I truly believe that Hill is done for the year since it's only 3-games remaining and will basically be shut down(I have no belief that this team will be able to get into the playoffs this year).

But also, Hill is still LEARNING to play WR after leaving a school that wouldn't know a Football PASS from an EZ-PASS. I think the Jets thinking on this is that after the 2-years is done, they let Braylon go on his merry way after helping Hill better develop himself as a WR so that he is then TRULY ready for the long haul as an NFL-Caliber WR.

Do you ever get tired of hearing the sound of your own voice, KJ?

It HAS TO BE this.

If they are truly indeed planning to give him a 2-year-EXTENSION, then it must be practically drowning in incentives and may be Non-Guaranteed.....

You sure he's "feigning"?

I thought he and Mark were friends or something?

Right because we have other players that deserve to start over him aside from Holmes, Keller, and Kerley.....Oh wait!

Good one!

If Braylon shows any IOTA of being the player he was in 2010, there's no way in hell that a RAW player like Hill takes the field as the #2 Receiver over him.
    VIN the answer to your question is : NO! but I do get tired of reading your child-like responses. Grow up!

All League
    For what...a couple pennies?

I just learned from someone that the Jets are planning to sign BE to a 2 year contract at seasons end to pair up with Holmes as the #1 and BE at #2 and Kerley in the slot. My source is married to very senior executive of the Jets and give me this tidbit as we had a celebratory dinner last night for my new job.

I've been unemployed for the last 10 months. It's sucked thus far, but I'm really happy with me new role.

If we indeed do sign him to a contract extension I wouldn't be surprised as he can be a serious threat and matchup nightmare along with Holmes and Kerley IF Sanchez is given a better OL to work with next year.
    Without evaluating him? Are the people running this team completely brain dead? This can't be true...

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Without evaluating him? Are the people running this team completely brain dead? This can't be true...
    My guess is it isn't...Just a made up story. His assumption of $2-$3M a yr contract proves he has no concept of whats going on and that BE doesn't have any market value

I guess will see
    Everything you said makes sense and I agree that is why they could be thinking about BE into next year. He addresses a couple of problems and based on the team's work this off-season with their cap, it's a good fit.

As you said, BE, still 29, if healthy, is still a player that can perform, and maybe he can return to something near 2009/2010. He had a meniscus injury with his knee last year, that was probably one of the main reasons the Jets stayed away, they knew about the injury.

But at this juncture, with Sanchez' issues, the fact that BE has very good chemistry with Sanchez, is high on Sanchez, the team obviously has moved past their own issue with the player if it was anything beyond injury and now see him as a nice addition at WR at a very nice price tag. BE won't get 2-3 million a year, he'll probably get about 1 mil and maybe incentives that can increase it.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 12-15-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    My guess is it isn't...Just a made up story. His assumption of $2-$3M a yr contract proves he has no concept of whats going on and that BE doesn't have any market value
    You think Brick is making it up?

It's possible he does have info from his source, but has no clue about the numbers.

All League
    I'm not a big BE fan, so making up the story would be senseless without some information. The $2-3m a year was just an estimate on my part. And understanding how he was just paid $825k for a 1 year deal maybe your right that it wouldn't be a $2m a year contract. But again, I have no reason to make this up. I'm not an agent or a big fan of BE.

I'm not a big BE fan, so making up the story would be senseless without some information. The $2-3m a year was just an estimate on my part. And understanding how he was just paid $825k for a 1 year deal maybe your right that it wouldn't be a $2m a year contract. But again, I have no reason to make this up. I'm not an agent or a big fan of BE.
    Just curious. How did this topic get brought up and how did the conversation progress.

Hall Of Fame
    There is no reason for the Jets to rush out and give Braylon a multi year deal. He was just claimed off waivers in which the Jets were the only team who put a claim in for him, he has not come close to playing a full season in 2 years now, he was making vet minimum at around $850K. He has not played one down for the Jets yet and is still hampered by an injury, but your sources say the Jets are ready to offer a multi year deal at 2-3 times what he is making now???

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    There is no reason for the Jets to rush out and give Braylon a multi year deal. He was just claimed off waivers in which the Jets were the only team who put a claim in for him, he has not come close to playing a full season in 2 years now, he was making vet minimum at around $850K. He has not played one down for the Jets yet and is still hampered by an injury, but your sources say the Jets are ready to offer a multi year deal at 2-3 times what he is making now???
    Your reasoning makes sense, but can you see them going into the start of next season with the same group of WR's & TE's? That isn't upgrading anything and that would be under the assumption that Hill would make major strides in year 2.

CMart -> During dinner - but giving the play by play would give too much of a hint to the source - lets just say I asked a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    If he comes at a couple million a year, it'd be a great idea. If he's looking 4-5, which is probably what we'll give him, it'd be a big mistake.
    "couple million" - he was just placed on waivers and no other team put a claim in.

He deserves a 2 year deal at about $750K a year with big incentives, which is actually great for the team as he will be motivated.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post

Why do people make this sh1t up?
    Oh the irony.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Do you ever get tired of hearing the sound of your own voice, KJ?
    LOL.

Jets Insider VIP
    I vote that we wait to see if he can even play on MNF and hopefully play well for the last 3 before worrying about extensions

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Better Oline? What we need is a QB who can manage to quit turning the ball over after 4 years in the league. I know our line needs work, but you have to recognize the fact that the majority of Mark's follies are all on him.
    The O-line has steadily improved all season.

Sanchez has no pocket presence, most QB's can feel pressure and make some defenders miss, Sanchez can't do either and that's not the line's fault, that falls squarely on his shoulders.

The fact he still can't feel pressure and has no pocket presence after almost 4 full seasons, doesn't bode well for his future as an NFL QB.

If Sanchez gets off to another rocky start next season, I expect Rex to be alot quicker to pull the plug on him and give the reigns to McElroy, Tebow or whatever young QB we have who is designated as the # 2.

Sanchez's free passes are all used up, I don't care what kind of contract he has.

Quite honestly if the call was mine to make, Sanchez would still be benched and would stay there the rest of the season and be promptly cut after the season was over. I would have preferred to see what McElroy could have done the last 4 games of the season as a starter.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-15-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    VIN the answer to your question is : NO! but I do get tired of reading your child-like responses. Grow up!
    aaaah.....SHADDAP!

You of all people shouldn't be accusing others of having "child-like responses", opie...
    Last edited by Vin; 12-15-2012 at 10:15 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Why would they be planning to sign him to a contract without seeing him play a down for the team? Especially when there is zero market competition for him? Wouldn't you want him to, you know, show something on the field in the last three games first, considering the injury history?

edit: what they said.
    Why are we crying before it happens? Obviously, if the guy is slow as hell and drops every pass in sight it's not happening, but that is not likely. It's also easy to cut a guy, especially for how small of a contract he'd get. Holmes, Edwards, Kerley, and Hill would make a nice top 4. Throw in White or a new draft pick and there's the receiving corps. Much better than the 2012 version was. Draft o-line and linebackers and lock up Malone, Bell, and Landry.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The O-line has steadily improved all season.

Sanchez has no pocket presence, most QB's can feel pressure and make some defenders miss, Sanchez can't do either and that's not the line's fault, that falls squarely on his shoulders.

The fact he still can't feel pressure and has no pocket presence after almost 4 full seasons, doesn't bode well for his future as an NFL QB.

If Sanchez gets off to another rocky start next season, I expect Rex to be alot quicker to pull the plug on him and give the reigns to McElroy, Tebow or whatever young QB we have who is designated as the # 2.

Sanchez's free passes are all used up, I don't care what kind of contract he has.

Quite honestly if the call was mine to make, Sanchez would still be benched and would stay there the rest of the season and be promptly cut after the season was over. I would have preferred to see what McElroy could have done the last 4 games of the season as a starter.
    I agree with everything you just said. Our OLine is naturally going to look bad when the QB hangs onto the ball for an hour and eventually gets sacked. And, since most just watch the box score and look at the stats, all they see is that the QB got sacked.