Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "FINDS" of the year. Who's staying? Hilliard? Reuland? Gilyard? Berry?

Hall Of Fame
    Gilyard and Gates are text book definitions of scrubs. The only reason they see an active roster is when a team is in desperate situations, like the Jets WR corp right now. Neither one of them should be a consideration for next year.

Hilliard is the best, the rest are scrubby jags.

i might give hilliard a pass and see what he does with a full year of training camp and more familiarity with the offense.

All Pro
    Big #77 Austin Howard thats who we need to give a contract extention to.

Of the four mentioned, Hilliard is the only person who has earned a contract extension.

All League
    Hilliard has been really bad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Most of our good finds will still be under contract next year with one or 2 exceptions.

Adams, Harris, Dowtin, Reuland, Malone, and McIntyre will all be on the team next year cheap in some way. Maybe Gilyard as well but Adams is a better WR.

Hillard and Howard are the only two iffs. I think we tenure Howard and give him a 3 year deal at like 1.3 mil a year. He has been OK but not really starter quality. Hillard I can see us bringing back as well. He is 100x better then Conner for what that is worth. Give him a raise offer him 600k at 2 years hope no one bids more.
    Dotwin was cut for missing a meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Gilyard and Gates are text book definitions of scrubs. The only reason they see an active roster is when a team is in desperate situations, like the Jets WR corp right now. Neither one of them should be a consideration for next year.
    In complimentary roles, they have ability, both have great speed, especially Gates. Gates is at least a player they should keep to continue developing, this only his 2nd year in the league, was a 4th round pick last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    In complimentary roles, they have ability, both have great speed, especially Gates. Gates is at least a player they should keep to continue developing, this only his 2nd year in the league, was a 4th round pick last year.
    I would keep Gates. I really think he has the potential to develop into a play-maker.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I would keep Gates. I really think he has the potential to develop into a play-maker.
    He never played HS football...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_GNnqtxCnM

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Ok, so dump a dependable Hilliard for another question mark....That's a good plan. You keep the guy unless you sign an obvious upgrade, you don't just let him go, unless you want Connor or someone worse coming in. Then we're right back where we started.
    Hilliard is absolutely AWFUL. He only appears to be an upgrade because Connor was HOT GARBAGE. Hilliard grades out as one of the worst in the league - I'd have more confidence starting an UDFA over him....

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    Hilliard is absolutely AWFUL. He only appears to be an upgrade because Connor was HOT GARBAGE. Hilliard grades out as one of the worst in the league - I'd have more confidence starting an UDFA over him....
    I noticed a difference immediately when he was in after Connor got hurt, I think he's been pretty good... What "grading out" are you talking about, who's doing it and what are they using as the grading system?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I noticed a difference immediately when he was in after Connor got hurt, I think he's been pretty good... What "grading out" are you talking about, who's doing it and what are they using as the grading system?
    Pro Football Focus has him on the "Had a Bad Week" team 3 times this season when he was only signed in week 5. He's also ranked NINTH among unrestricted FA fullbacks for 2013 Here's some of the comments:

"The versatile Hilliard has managed to catch on with a number of teams without ever really impressing. Against the Colts he failed to get any movement with his lead blocking, regularly getting stood up as his running backs were forced to change direction."
    The problem with using Hilliard as a lead blocker is that he just doesn’t lead block very well. Patriots linebackers dealt with him with ease.
    Lex Hilliard is a lot of things, but a blocker isn’t one of them. He gave up a sack and a hurry while also dropping a pass in a show of why fullbacks shouldn’t be big components in the passing game.

Veteran
    I'd keep Howard, Reuland, Malone, Hayden Smith (I think he's going to be good), and Gates.

Hilliard's been a decent stop gap, but has issues. Sign cheap if we can't upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I liked what I saw from Gates, I think he has a chance.

Gilyard has 3 games, he flashed a little last week, will probably be a bigger part of the game plan this week.

Berry, meh

Reuland, real solid find, stays.

Hilliard, I'm indifferent. I honestly would like to see the team bring back Connor in the off-season and continue to try and develop him, but we'll see. Hilliard has done a solid job.

The punter, Malone, was a real nice find, have to think he's coming back.
    Gilyard "flashed last week"? He had 1 catch for 11 yards and 1 for 4 yards. Did i miss some good blocking, or route running?

Gilyard is not an NFL player, which is why he hasnt been on a team all season or ever contributed to an NFL offense in his career. I believe we had a HUGE miss letting jordan shipley sit unclaimed when holmes went down and we needed a WR who could return punts. Now Jacksonville has him and i cant see him being let go.

I also cant see a single positive from clyde gates. He hasnt shown any route running ability at all, and is another player that should not have been here all season.

Hilliard is a cheap option at FB, has been a good blocker and deserves to be here next season.

I like rueland a lot, and think our TEs are used very very poorly, so he should be back as well, espeically at what he costs.

Howard has been fine and unless we draft someone in the 4th round area that can play the position, I dont see how he isnt the starter.

I am very interested to see hayden smiths development. Big, strong, athletic guy who may present some upside, but we wont know until preseason.

I would also like to see if antonio allen can grow as an in-the-box safety for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    Pro Football Focus has him on the "Had a Bad Week" team 3 times this season when he was only signed in week 5. He's also ranked NINTH among unrestricted FA fullbacks for 2013 Here's some of the comments:
    Sounds like he was born to be a Jet...He fits in perfectly with the rest of our shltty offense

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Dotwin was cut for missing a meeting.
    Is that true, I didnt hear that and really liked dowtin's upside. Not for this year, but as developmental LB that has the speed to cover and can also play the run.

Wish he would get his act together. Hopefully we get him under a futures contract this offseason and give him one more chance.

All League
    I'd say Hilliard and maybe Reuland, but that's it out of those four. Maybe the other two for camp fodder, if anything, but they've showed nothing. Oh, also Howard has earned another year too.
    Last edited by Zombo; 12-16-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Hilliard is a good run blocker

but cant pass protect to save his life