Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Thought.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Crazy Thought.

Kerry Rhodes is a free agent at the end of the season. He has seemed to matured as a person and a player. If we can bring Braylon back, why can't we bring Kerry back? If we go heavy on the defensive side of the ball, why not go with Landry and Rhodes? They would complement each other perfectly. If I recall Kerry started as a SS.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always liked Hollywood.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Kerry Rhodes is a free agent at the end of the season. He has seemed to matured as a person and a player. If we can bring Braylon back, why can't we bring Kerry back? If we go heavy on the defensive side of the ball, why not go with Landry and Rhodes? They would complement each other perfectly. If I recall Kerry started as a SS.
    Not crazy at all, I mentioned this on twitter

If they can bring back BE, Rhodes seems like he is a player that has grown up a lot, if BE loves Rex, and Rhodes is a big friend of BE, I think Rex is the kind of coach that would welcome any player back.

Bell is a FA, not sure what Rhodes market value will be, but if it is managable, I would love to see a Rhodes/Landry tandem at S next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be for it.. But will Rex?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a crazy thought, but what about Josh Bush? He'll be ready to start at FS next year probably, no?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's gonna get paid and so will landry

neither will be a jet

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The difference is Rex likes Braylon. No way Rex is bringing Rhodes back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    The difference is Rex likes Braylon. No way Rex is bringing Rhodes back.
    +1 And I think Rhodes buddy was Revis not Braylon..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 And I think Rhodes buddy was Revis not Braylon..
    Nah. I remember hearing Rhodes was jealous of Revis. Rhodes and Braylon always went on a webcam show together lmao.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    He's gonna get paid and so will landry

neither will be a jet
    disagree. landry is the highlight reel of this season so far. hard hitting safeties like him with decent cover skills are hard to find. the jets will pay him what hes worth and he remains a jet.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it will happen assuming Rex is still here, but I would have no problem with bringing him back. Resigning Landry should be the priority though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    I don't think it will happen assuming Rex is still here, but I would have no problem with bringing him back. Resigning Landry should be the priority though.
    top priority free agent signing amongst current jets on the roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah. I remember hearing Rhodes was jealous of Revis. Rhodes and Braylon always went on a webcam show together lmao.
    I know he didn't like Jim Leonhard running the DB's..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd take him over Landry as the better player still. He'd also be a good guy for Bush and Allen to work with. This has been a good bounce back year for him. At 30 his price will be about the same as Landry though. Would we be willing to offer a 4-5 year deal to sign him?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets party like its 2009!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Lets party like its 2009!!!
    Probably one of my favorite seasons

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    2009 was great. Mark and Rex beat the Patsies first try. And the media laughed at Kerry Rhodes that week for saying that we WOULD win that game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Laron Landry is an easier contract to take on. Landry is 2 years younger and being a SS his game is less reliant on speed. Rhodes is 31 next season and his athletism at that height is what allows him to play at a high level.

Due to the jets cap constraints this year the contracts will need be be backloaded with guarantees for the later years. I thought Landry's market was going to be about 5-6.5 a year. With the noise he is making about no discount
    I am thinking 4 years 24 mill with 12 guaranteed, the jets could pay him 2 mill
    in 2013 and guarantee him a 8 mill roster bonus in 2014 and a 4 mill salary in 14.
    This puts 14 mill in his pocket in the next 12 months. in 2014 the jets could convert the roster bonus to a SB and spread the hit out over the last three years for a cap hit of 7 mill each of the last three years, This protects him in the 3rd year as to cut him wuld be almost a 6mill cap hit. this assures him of geting at least 19 mill even if they cut him when he is 32

With Rhodes being 31 next season he is going to want his money over 2 years, so it is going to be much tougher to keep his 1st year cap hit down while still protect the jets when he is 33. And please, if he takes less money anywhere it will be for a playoff team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Rhodes has no leverage due to his age.

I doubt very much any team gives him more than a 1 year deal at $2M.
    We simply cut Smitty and use the money for Kerry. I think Landry gets four years $20M back loaded with $7M over the next 12 months.
    But can our coachs bridge there differences with him is the question? He was benched his last year here don't forget would he even want to come here as well. I am sure the Giants would love to have him as an example.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by star95 View Post
    I doubt very much any team gives him more than a 1 year deal at $2M.
    We simply cut Smitty and use the money for Kerry. I think Landry gets four years $20M back loaded with $7M over the next 12 months.
    But can our coachs bridge there differences with him is the question? He was benched his last year here don't forget would he even want to come here as well. I am sure the Giants would love to have him as an example.
    It may be the fact I am older but Rhodes is not that old where he wouldn't be worth offering a 2-3 year deal at 3 mil. He is still playing at a high level and is only 30 right now. 2 years younger we'd be talking he is worth more then Landry. At 1 year he will want at least 5 mil. Barber got 3 mil this year player at about the same level and he is 37! I think he also made 4 mil last year.