Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can the Jets afford Welker ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    What about our playoff push, you trolling turdo's?
    Is it a push if you need 12 other teams to lose?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Is it a push if you need 12 other teams to lose?
    There is a difference between 1 and 12, but point taken. Our destiny: We dont control it. (and we suck)

GO JETS!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    right. welker is perfect where he is or maybe with a qb named manning or luck or rothlisberger or brees or rogers. at his age he's not worth huge money and it would take a lot to get him to the jets.

Quote Originally Posted by unchartedm0nkey View Post
    Welker's one of those guys that looks awesome but when you bring him here he wouldn't be used in the same way, causing an uproar. He's in the ideal offense right now to suit his skillset with the perfect QB to utilize him. Not that he couldn't duplicate his success on other teams, but with our system and our QB, you'd see a shell of the Welker you see on the Pats.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Delusional Jets fan.

When was the last time Kerley had 100 receptions and 1,000 yards?
    When was the last time he played with Tom Brady? It's like teams going crazy to hire Charlie Weiss and Josh Mcdaniel because of their success with Tom Brady. Soon teams learn that its basically all Brady.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    When was the last time he played with Tom Brady? It's like teams going crazy to hire Charlie Weiss and Josh Mcdaniel because of their success with Tom Brady. Soon teams learn that its basically all Brady.
    Brady is nothing more than a system QB.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

I hear he wasn't even picked all that high in the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    TRUE. It's good that you can finally admit it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I think you still have Sanchez as the guy slinging the rock in 2013. Will Bray, Holmes, and Kerley still be on the '14 squad?
    Well Sanchez is definitely on the roster next season. As so many have already very eloquently posted, "The Jets have 8.25 million reasons to keep Sanchez on the roster".

But I don't think anyone is saying that Sanchez will be the starting QB. The cracks are starting to show between Rex Ryan and his beloved sex slave Sanchez. Rex Ryan actually benched his boy toy recently.

The Jets are going to sign some decent QB competition for next years training camp. That mandate will come straight from Woody Johnson himself likely.

Then it is, let the chips fall where they may. There will be a straight up QB competition in next years training camp. Whoever wins that competition will be our starter.

Sanchez will not win any straight up competition.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    He want's #1 money not slot money and that's the rub right now. Do the Jets want to shell out 30 million for 3 years with 20 million guaranteed? That's pretty close to what he wants.
    +1. Forget it. I'm happy with Kerley

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    TRUE. It's good that you can finally admit it.
    Amen. It's amazing that Rex doesn't have the Jets use the same "system" with their QB, the one they're using isn't working very well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Amen. It's amazing that Rex doesn't have the Jets use the same "system" with their QB, the one they're using isn't working very well.

Over the years...watching Brady evolve has been frustrating as a JETS fan.

Early in his career, he behaved more "humble mannered".

Now, to see him try to fire up the troops as a veteran is something. In fact, something that we will never see Sanchez do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Over the years...watching Brady evolve has been frustrating as a JETS fan.

Early in his career, he behaved more "humble mannered".

Now, to see him try to fire up the troops as a veteran is something. In fact, something that we will never see Sanchez do.

CPA - BTW, remember you thought I was crazy? Jets win out. Pitt and Cinci collapse - maybe Colts too. Jets in the playoffs. Ist round Patriots.
    Looks probable.
    Can Rex outcoach BB?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welker is about 100 in football years.

At this point I would rather have Edelman.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Delusional Jets fan.

When was the last time Kerley had 100 receptions and 1,000 yards?
    I take it you don't think you'd get that same exact production from Edelman or Woodhead at a significant pay cut in that slot position?

When you get some time why don't we trade some PM's about how your Patriots work?

Welker's only exceptional value is in the fact that he continually stays healthy and he's a very solid set of hands on Punt Returns.

Outside of that he is a pure product of the Pats system and anywhere else would be lucky to break 1000 yards.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd much rather have Edelman at Edelman prices IF he could stay healthy. Big if though.

Welker is extremely durable and has been insanely productive with the Pats. But he's pricey, getting long in the tooth, and increasingly has the "dropsies" at inopportune moments. Also, I agree with those who question whether his production would continue with a non-elite QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I take it you don't think you'd get that same exact production from Edelman or Woodhead at a significant pay cut in that slot position?

When you get some time why don't we trade some PM's about how your Patriots work?

Welker's only exceptional value is in the fact that he continually stays healthy and he's a very solid set of hands on Punt Returns.

Outside of that he is a pure product of the Pats system and anywhere else would be lucky to break 1000 yards.
    Are you joking? Seriously, are you.

If it's just the system, why does no one else do it? He's led the league in receptions 3 times, and has 750 for his career. Just the system? Why can't the Jets run that system?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I'd much rather have Edelman at Edelman prices IF he could stay healthy. Big if though.

Welker is extremely durable and has been insanely productive with the Pats. But he's pricey, getting long in the tooth, and increasingly has the "dropsies" at inopportune moments. Also, I agree with those who question whether his production would continue with a non-elite QB.
    Every WR's production drops with a non elite QB. Look in Arizona at Fitzgerald. And there is something to be said about a tandem working together for year, they just know what each other are going to do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Are you joking? Seriously, are you.

If it's just the system, why does no one else do it? He's led the league in receptions 3 times, and has 750 for his career. Just the system? Why can't the Jets run that system?
    Tiny short guy hides in slot, crossing patterns in front of him, "pick plays" all around him. Comes out of backfield.

Edelman could do EXACTLY what he does, so could Woodhead.

Do you think Woodhead would be productive at all for the Jets?

My proof is that the offense being run by Brady traces back to Ron Erhardt (Weis had a large part of refining it for Brady) who was the OC of the Jets when Testaverde was our starting QB during the Parcells/Belichick years.

Our "Mighty Mite" was Chrebet. Like Welker, Chrebet would run delayed, picked, or screened crossing patterns directly over the middle of the field and essentially gave up his brain to the cost of doing so.

There were no "defenseless receivers" back then.

Which goes to show you that Bob Kraft and his son continuously fellating Roger Goodell can be good for your career.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Every WR's production drops with a non elite QB. Look in Arizona at Fitzgerald. And there is something to be said about a tandem working together for year, they just know what each other are going to do.
    There is no parallel between Larry Fitzgerald and anybody in the NFL outside of Calvin Johnson.

Johnson and Fitzgerald are guys who elevate average QB's into Pro Bowl levels.

Welker is elevated by Brady. Statistically Welker is incredible, but 100 catches by Welker are not even close to 100 catches by Calvin Johnson. Too entirely different animals.

If you think Welker would be an upgrade over Santonio Holmes, you are very sadly mistaken. Very, very wrong.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Clearly it's an advantage for Welker to be playing with Brady, but he showed the same skills when he was with Miami. The problem was that the Phins tried to protect him with a lower tender and the Pats jumped in, offering them an additional draft pick (7th I think) plus the 2nd they would receive if the Pats claimed him. The Pats made the Phins an offer they couldn't refuse.
    I'm not taking anything away from Welker; he obviously has a great skillset that has made him very successful playing in that offense. The key words though, are "in that offense." As skillful as he is, "Wes Welker" would never have been a household term in Miami, at least not as much of a household name as he's become in New England. He happens to play in an offense with a QB that perfectly utilizes what Welker does best. You put Welker on the Jets with Sanchez, a QB who has shown no consistent accuracy on short throws (or any distance for that matter), he's not catching the ball in space and raking up a ton of YAC. I'm knocking the Jets more than anything else; if we had the proper personnel and scheme to utilize Welker the way he is supposed to be used, I'd love Welker. In the Jets situation though he's just not worth it. He'd essentially be what Santonio Holmes has been - Jets fans expected the Holmes that was killing it downfield in Pittsburgh, not the Holmes that isn't a consistent part of the offense.