Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 139

Thread: Newsday: Assessing Mark Sanchez: Experts don't pull any punches

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,168
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Sanchez was doomed from the day he was drafted. Young qb with minimal experience coming out, he needed a good coaching staff around him.
    With Cavanaugh in place and Schotty, Mark was in trouble.
    Cavanaugh is still in the building.

    The Jets have failed miserably with this kid.
    Exactly, and it's no 'head scratcher' as Ron Jaworski charitably says. The lack of an Oline shattering his confidence didn't help either.


    Ron Jaworski: "It's obvious to me he's lost his confidence and it's almost baffling when I think back to those first couple of seasons of playoff teams . . .

    He made throws that were helping his team win games, playing with confidence. To see where he is right now, it's a head-scratcher.''

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    Face it, he does not have the skills, the brains, leadership and the guts. No new HC or OC or QB can teach him those things. Only a brain transplant can and that is medically impossible. Try Greg in the starting position. If he does not work out then draft a QB. I doubt that we will get a good FA QB. No good QB wants to work for this dog and pony circus. Case in point, Peyton would not return the team's calls last year.
    The thing is the QBs in the article say he does have the skills..They haven't been developed or used properly...Look what they all said about rolling/moving Mark out/around

    And you look at Sanchez this season compared to '09/'10 and you see a completely different player/person.

    This organization has completely F'd up Sanchez's development..

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    <Kurt Warner: "I can't think back to those signature games for Mark Sanchez where you go: 'Man, I remember that game when they couldn't do anything and we put the ball in Mark Sanchez's hands and he took over the game and won for us.'>

    I don't think this is fully accurate. In 2010 his throw to Holmes in corner of EZ in NE playoffs was big time throw. Also made big throws to Holmes in Detroit game, to Braylon in Houston game and in Indy playoff game in 2009.

    EDIT: On reflection Warner's statement about not taking over the game is right. You never see Sanchez do that.

    No, I'm not saying MS's Aaron Rodgers. Just that Warner's memory's a bit limited.
    We saw that against Pittsburgh in the AFCG, but it wasn't enough, of course some better clock management and play selection by Schotty might have helped.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 12-16-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Grammar

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Agree...But Rex deserves blame too
    Agreed, he's part of management in my view. I also wonder what the role that Woody Johnson has had. I'm hoping he see's the err in his ways with regards to the Holmes and Tebow signing, backs off, moves Tanny to where he belongs and we get some football people in here who know how to build a full team and are not blinded by their relationships with over the hill players.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    In 8 drafts since getting Eli the giants have selected TWO offensive players in the first round.

    Pretty clear the above statement is someones opinion based on zero facts.
    It's also a philosophy...And how about 2nd & 3rd round picks? Building around shouldn't just be limited to the 1st round..IMO..I always think 3 rounds is a good measuring stick....And how about FA signings? I believe McKenzie was signed as the RT during that time?

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I don't know why you say that. To me it is the effectiveness of the OC and the qb coach and not the dead coach.
    It's a philosophy of "don't make a mistake"..From color coded cards, to not being reckless outside the pocket (because Rex didn't want to risk the franchise QB getting hurt--go back to '09 when Rex brought in Girardi to teach him how to slide), don't turn the ball over (duh, every QB knows that)...But it's always been "don't" with Sanchez...How does that promote growth???? The guy is programmed now to "don't" he can't just go out there and play and let his physical abilities take over. He's always thinking "can I", "should I".

    Now, I am in no way excusing Sanchez from all of this but he's been F'd up by this franchise.

  7. #27

    Sorry but four years are enough

    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The thing is the QBs in the article say he does have the skills..They haven't been developed or used properly...Look what they all said about rolling/moving Mark out/around

    And you look at Sanchez this season compared to '09/'10 and you see a completely different player/person.

    This organization has completely F'd up Sanchez's development..
    jets fan don't want another four years of teaching Mark in being a QB. It is time to move on. Guilt feelings don't win NFL games.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    In 8 drafts since getting Eli the giants have selected TWO offensive players in the first round.

    Pretty clear the above statement is someones opinion based on zero facts.

    So the first round of a draft tells the entire story? There are 6 other rounds plus free agency. The Giants have surrounded Eli with a ton of talent since he was drafted.

  9. #29
    Nice article getting various opinions on his struggles.

    The jets need Mark Sanchez to succeed and next year should be focused on that.

    1. They need a qb coach and a new OC with the west coast playbook. Holmes is well suited to a qb that rolls out as he had great success in Pitt on comebacks.

    2. Hill needs to be schooled on crossing patterns and not just 9s

    3. Kerley will be fine as a slot in the west coast.

    4. Powell and McKnight need to be developed as a pass catchers. Sanchez needs outlets.

    These are guys that I think will be in the 1-1.5 mill range.

    5. Sign Ramses Barden.

    6. Sign LaGarret Blount

    7. Daniel Fells and Shinacoe will be cut by the pats. Fells is a very good inline blocker and Shinacoe averages 40 catches a year.

    8. Use the draft to fix the oline, Moore needs to be gone, at least two of the first three picks need to be oliniman.

    This will position mark to have more success, if he does'nt at least the jets know that they did some diligence. The jets can not afford to have Sanchez sit behind a guy for a year and then get back to being an average qb with another team especially the Bills who are built for him.

  10. #30
    Sanchez will be our QB next year. What we need to do is get a reliable backup who can step in. Draft a Qb to develop (in the mid-rounds), upgrade our OL via the draft and draft some skill position players. Then hold an open audition for blocking TEs and FB. The additional blocking will help the running game which in turn will help the passing game.

    If Sanchez falter's again, he'll be gone and we can draft another QB, but at least we'll have 3 alternatives at QB and whoever steps in will have a much better supporting cast.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,168
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Nice article getting various opinions on his struggles.

    The jets need Mark Sanchez to succeed and next year should be focused on that.

    1. They need a qb coach and a new OC with the west coast playbook. Holmes is well suited to a qb that rolls out as he had great success in Pitt on comebacks.

    2. Hill needs to be schooled on crossing patterns and not just 9s

    3. Kerley will be fine as a slot in the west coast.

    4. Powell and McKnight need to be developed as a pass catchers. Sanchez needs outlets.

    These are guys that I think will be in the 1-1.5 mill range.

    5. Sign Ramses Barden.

    6. Sign LaGarret Blount

    7. Daniel Fells and Shinacoe will be cut by the pats. Fells is a very good inline blocker and Shinacoe averages 40 catches a year.

    8. Use the draft to fix the oline, Moore needs to be gone, at least two of the first three picks need to be oliniman.

    This will position mark to have more success, if he does'nt at least the jets know that they did some diligence. The jets can not afford to have Sanchez sit behind a guy for a year and then get back to being an average qb with another team especially the Bills who are built for him.
    well this is apparently a good draft upcoming for olinemen so maybe the Jets will do the right thing?
    at least for one more year there's no outstanding QB for them to draft and undevelop, again.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    We saw that against Pittsburgh in the AFCG, but it wasn't enough, of course some better clock management and play selection by Schotty might have helped.
    Add the first NE game this year in the second half. Faded into obscurity because we lost.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    It's also a philosophy...And how about 2nd & 3rd round picks? Building around shouldn't just be limited to the 1st round..IMO..I always think 3 rounds is a good measuring stick....And how about FA signings? I believe McKenzie was signed as the RT during that time?
    I totally agree that its about more then the first round, and FA signings are big as well, but we went out and acquired braylon and holmes, veteran WRs with talent....did mark's completion % change? Nope

    I also agree his development was not handled well, but I think we all need to ask how its possible that he needed the color coded system? Sanchez's arm strength, mobility have never been an issue, it has been his head and at the end of the day, maybe he just isnt a very bright guy. No QB should ever have to be told "throw it away in the red zone" and preserve points. Is that really rexs fault? Schottys fault? Sparanos?

    The same head/intelligence issue comes to light when you look at how little we audible or change routes at the line. When, in the last 4 years have you seen mark make a change to a route that gets us a quick "free 4-6 yards"....the plays that brady makes about 5-10 times a game? The answer is never. Does he ever hustle the team to the line to get a quick snap on a 3rd and 1? Nope

    Its been 4 long years, more then enough time to "get it". We have changed the OC. Changed the WRs. Yet the result is the same.....low completion %, high turnover rate, and an inability to consistently generate points. Pretty clear who is at fault here.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    It's a philosophy of "don't make a mistake"..From color coded cards, to not being reckless outside the pocket (because Rex didn't want to risk the franchise QB getting hurt--go back to '09 when Rex brought in Girardi to teach him how to slide), don't turn the ball over (duh, every QB knows that)...But it's always been "don't" with Sanchez...How does that promote growth???? The guy is programmed now to "don't" he can't just go out there and play and let his physical abilities take over. He's always thinking "can I", "should I".

    Now, I am in no way excusing Sanchez from all of this but he's been F'd up by this franchise.
    Agreed 1000%. The philosophy has been don't let the QB hurt you. Depend on your running game and defense. Conservative, conservative, conservative! Wonder where the Pats would be if they treated Brady that way (a former 6th rounder).

    We also bring in a QB coach (who was a game manager at best in his career) and an offensive coordinator and make them support that strategy. That's what we have here. Sanchez was micro-managed from day one.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Phil Simms: "You built the team for the defense to be dominant and for the run game to supplement the defense.

    Everything the Colts do is about making Andrew Luck a better player and building around him. For the Giants it's always been about Eli, from the day they drafted him. Never have the Jets said, 'We're going to do all this for Mark Sanchez.'"

    SAR I
    NONSENSE. Rex Ryan protected his young QB like no other. He gave him a stifling defense and the number 1 running game in 2009. In 2010, he gave him the 4th overall defense and the 5th overall running game.

    He also gave the kid Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, and Santonio Holmes.

    He gave Sanchez a safety outlet in Dustin Keller.

    He gave him an OC that designed plays that would aid Sanchez in his ability to read defenses. Then, everyone said he sucked and he had to go because he was holding up Sanchez. So Rex Ryan goes to the great length of hiring another OC. Most young QB's only get one. But Sanchez got another because they believed so much in him. Then? Sanchez crapped out with another OC.

    You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Name one young QB that had the kind of benefit that Sanchez had? Even one?

    In the end, Sanchez sucks and anyone can see that.

    The best course of action for the Jets in the offseason is to hold on to Rex Ryan as their HC, FIRE Sanchez, get another QB, then continue developing the team in 2013. The defense is becoming a legitimately good defense. There not there right now, but they likely will be in 2013.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    NONSENSE. Rex Ryan protected his young QB like no other. He gave him a stifling defense and the number 1 running game in 2009. In 2010, he gave him the 4th overall defense and the 5th overall running game.

    He also gave the kid Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, and Santonio Holmes.

    He gave Sanchez a safety outlet in Dustin Keller.

    He gave him an OC that designed plays that would aid Sanchez in his ability to read defenses. Then, everyone said he sucked and he had to go because he was holding up Sanchez. So Rex Ryan goes to the great length of hiring another OC. Most young QB's only get one. But Sanchez got another because they believed so much in him. Then? Sanchez crapped out with another OC.

    You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Name one young QB that had the kind of benefit that Sanchez had? Even one?

    In the end, Sanchez sucks and anyone can see that.

    The best course of action for the Jets in the offseason is to hold on to Rex Ryan as their HC, FIRE Sanchez, get another QB, then continue developing the team in 2013. The defense is becoming a legitimately good defense. There not there right now, but they likely will be in 2013.
    MJ, when we had those players we went to the AFCCG, that was three years ago. I look at us since then and Braylon, Cotch, LT, Woody, Richardson are all gone and were never replaced by viable alternatives.

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,168
    Just think about it: Mark Sanchez was a better QB as a raw NFL rookie with only 16 college starts, than after 4 years of the Jets 'coaching' staff 'developing' him.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Just think about it: Mark Sanchez was a better QB as a raw NFL rookie with only 16 college starts, than after 4 years of the Jets 'coaching' staff 'developing' him.
    Why was he a "better QB"? Because the team was more successful?

    Great QBs make 4-5 plays a game that win games for their team.

    Good QBs dont make any utterly awful plays that lose games for their team.

    Our QB makes ZERO plays that win games for us, and has 7 fumbles and 4 red zone INTs which are the plays that lose games for a team. Those plays are not the fault of the HC, OC, WRs, RBs or Line....they are because our QB makes bad decisions with the football.

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,117
    It is a combination of both. This regime is definitely not "QB friendly" or "QB centric". But Sanchez also leaves a lot to be desired as a player.

    Sh*tty offensive minds + sh*tty QB = what we witness on Sundays.

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,168
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Why was he a "better QB"? Because the team was more successful?

    Great QBs make 4-5 plays a game that win games for their team.

    Good QBs dont make any utterly awful plays that lose games for their team.

    Our QB makes ZERO plays that win games for us, and has 7 fumbles and 4 red zone INTs which are the plays that lose games for a team. Those plays are not the fault of the HC, OC, WRs, RBs or Line....they are because our QB makes bad decisions with the football.
    He was able to make plays in 2009. Watch the clips. Today - not so much. His playmaking ability was coached out of him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us