Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Newsday: Assessing Mark Sanchez: Experts don't pull any punches

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Honest question, did you read the article? No one thinks Sanchez is a good QB. None of the QB's quoted in the article, none of the posters here and no one in the fan base. No one thinks that.

The question is why - could the Jets have done things differently to put him in a position to succeed and develop his talent? I thought the following quote was interesting:

"Everything the Colts do is about making Andrew Luck a better player and building around him. Never have the Jets said, 'We're going to do all this for Mark Sanchez.' For the Giants it's always been about Eli, from the day they drafted him."
    I don't agree with the notion that the jets did not give sanchez enough support. they gave him a top-notch OL and running game his first two years, made trades for braylon and holmes two talented players in their prime, and always showed faith in their guy in the face of criticism. when the third year came around and it was time for the training wheels to come off, they expected sanchez to start playing up to the level of his pay grade. a $15M a year QB is expected to be able to lead a damn good offense

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I did read the article
    No you didn't.

You only read it AFTER Buzzsaw called you on it.

Otherwise, if you did read it, you wouldn't have ASSUMED that the belief(from the article) was that Mark was(and still could be) a Good QB.

michaels and todd worked out pretty well (and todd was a bigger head case than sanchez), shula and marino worked out as do bellichicken and brady and tuna and simms and lombardi and starr, and landry and staubach or white or morton, or noll and bradshaw. those teams didn't seem to have much trouble getting on the same page. i doubt if rex has any problem with sanchez except what sanchez does on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Absolutely. Defensive coaches and young qb's generally dont mix well.

imo, sanchez has had plenty of support. granted some of that support went away because of injury or the diva (holmes) syndrome but ti wasn't for lack of trying by the jets to put together an offense where sanchez could be comfortable. what does sanchez want? does he want to go deep all the time? i always thought the jets needed to use him like plunkett on the raiders. very good run game, excellent tight end and receivers who could go deep every play.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I don't agree with the notion that the jets did not give sanchez enough support. they gave him a top-notch OL and running game his first two years, made trades for braylon and holmes two talented players in their prime, and always showed faith in their guy in the face of criticism. when the third year came around and it was time for the training wheels to come off, they expected sanchez to start playing up to the level of his pay grade. a $15M a year QB is expected to be able to lead a damn good offense

Sanchez is just a bad QB. We need to move on, and everyone knows it. Lets leave the guy alone.

We'd be 9-4 with Kirk Cousins or Matt Flynn at QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sanchez's biggest QB problem wasn't even mentioned; his stance. Sanchez has a tendency to take a very wide base when passing the ball. This is a problem on many levels. First, it lowers his already less-than desirable height, forcing him to have a higher than wanted release point. Second, the need for a clear throwing lane is heightened (heh). Laslty, it requires more time to set-up the throwing process as well as to reset should anything go wrong (pass rush, out of position receiver etc.).

I'd ask why this hasn't been corrected at some point, especially given that his noted strengths were footwork and throwing on the run, but since Cavanaugh is his QB coach, it's a silly question to even posit.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    MJ, when we had those players we went to the AFCCG, that was three years ago. I look at us since then and Braylon, Cotch, LT, Woody, Richardson are all gone and were never replaced by viable alternatives.
    And you expected that to happen overnight?

The team lost Braylon, Cotch, Woody, and Richardson all in the course of one offseason. Did you really think they could replace them in one offseason? Let alone their respectice talent levels? That's ridiculously demanding.

Richardson made the pro bowl an insane amount of times, one of the FB's the league has ever seen.

Damien Woody was a multi-talented OL. He played Center, LG, and RT in his career. He was a great run blocker. He made the pro bowl a few times himself.

Jerricho Cotchery, although he never made the pro bowl, was a very important player in the Jets offense. He was one of the few (and when I say few, I mean literally TWO) WR's that actually had chemistry with Sanchez.

Braylon Edwards was the only other player that ever had a connection with Sanchez. He made the pro bowl in the past.

Guys like what I just described do not grow on trees. If you lose all of them in one offseason, you could be expected to spend as much as 5 to 10 offseasons trying to recoup that talent, and even then it is no given.

Tanny got most of those players via FA and a player trade. Only one was actually drafted by Tanny. To say they should have been replaced with viable alternatives, well, yes I agree. But it isn't as easy as saying it and then following through with it. It takes time.

Sam Bradford threw for 377 yards and 3tds with brian schottenheimer as his coordinator, under 100 yards rushing, a MUCH worse line then ours, and the amazing receiving corps of brandon gibson, amendola and chris givens.

I hated schotty and am glad he is gone, but maybe he just had crap to work with at the QB position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sam Bradford threw for 377 yards and 3tds with brian schottenheimer as his coordinator, under 100 yards rushing, a MUCH worse line then ours, and the amazing receiving corps of brandon gibson, amendola and chris givens.

I hated schotty and am glad he is gone, but maybe he just had crap to work with at the QB position.
    Please....the Rams one game does not define anything. perhaps we held Schotty back, who knows but this is like anointing Sparano after week one.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Please....the Rams one game does not define anything. perhaps we held Schotty back, who knows but this is like anointing Sparano after week one.
    Schotty sucks, thats not the point. Its yet another example of excuse after excuse for sanchez. Bradford isnt that good, and they lost the game, but hes just another example of a QB that has less weapons then we have, and a worse OLine yet he can get his team in the endzone, and do it with our old OC

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Sanchez's biggest QB problem wasn't even mentioned; his stance. Sanchez has a tendency to take a very wide base when passing the ball. This is a problem on many levels. First, it lowers his already less-than desirable height, forcing him to have a higher than wanted release point. Second, the need for a clear throwing lane is heightened (heh). Laslty, it requires more time to set-up the throwing process as well as to reset should anything go wrong (pass rush, out of position receiver etc.).

I'd ask why this hasn't been corrected at some point, especially given that his noted strengths were footwork and throwing on the run, but since Cavanaugh is his QB coach, it's a silly question to even posit.
    And why can't Sanchez take ownership of his stance and change it? If he actually reads what the fans think and media think (and I'm sure there are many out there that know what they are talking about), couldn't he make an effort to change it?

The only reason Matt Cavanaugh is still with the team is because there were no decent replacements out there. Rex Ryan wanted to replace him last offseason.

So Sanchez shouldn't be crying about spilled milk here. He KNEW he would be getting a bum QB coach back. He KNEW he was going into his 4th season as a pro.

So shouldn't he take ownership of the situation and attempt to change it on his own? If he can run Jets West in an attempt to build chemistry with receivers, why can't he watch film of himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    And you expected that to happen overnight?

The team lost Braylon, Cotch, Woody, and Richardson all in the course of one offseason. Did you really think they could replace them in one offseason? Let alone their respectice talent levels? That's ridiculously demanding.

Richardson made the pro bowl an insane amount of times, one of the FB's the league has ever seen.

Damien Woody was a multi-talented OL. He played Center, LG, and RT in his career. He was a great run blocker. He made the pro bowl a few times himself.

Jerricho Cotchery, although he never made the pro bowl, was a very important player in the Jets offense. He was one of the few (and when I say few, I mean literally TWO) WR's that actually had chemistry with Sanchez.

Braylon Edwards was the only other player that ever had a connection with Sanchez. He made the pro bowl in the past.

Guys like what I just described do not grow on trees. If you lose all of them in one offseason, you could be expected to spend as much as 5 to 10 offseasons trying to recoup that talent, and even then it is no given.

Tanny got most of those players via FA and a player trade. Only one was actually drafted by Tanny. To say they should have been replaced with viable alternatives, well, yes I agree. But it isn't as easy as saying it and then following through with it. It takes time.
    there's no way the jets would have thought they could have kept a team with 5 pro bowl OL together and pay a QB $15M a year. they were counting on sanchez to step it up in year 3/4

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Did you read the article? or are you too blinded by your hate for Sanchez to see what the consensus is amongst some pretty knowledgeable folks regarding Mark Sanchez. They are saying, he has all the tools, but a very limited supporting cast. His major issue is lack of confidence.

I think that folks of your ilk get more excited by constant change rather than putting this team on a path to be a consistent winner. Unfortunately in my view this has been a major issue for this team since we won our last super bowl 40+ years ago.
    THANK YOU!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The thing is the QBs in the article say he does have the skills..They haven't been developed or used properly...Look what they all said about rolling/moving Mark out/around

And you look at Sanchez this season compared to '09/'10 and you see a completely different player/person.

This organization has completely F'd up Sanchez's development..
    This is a DISGRACE!!!!!

A DISGRACE!!!! And for this alone the FO and REX DISMISSED!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Just think about it: Mark Sanchez was a better QB as a raw NFL rookie with only 16 college starts, than after 4 years of the Jets 'coaching' staff 'developing' him.
    Thank you and that isnt on the player but the FO and coaching staff!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That post says it all about Sanchez.

Good job MJ.
    PatsFan you only hope that the Jets FO is as stupid as you hope..Unfortunately they maybe as stupid as some of the fans......

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Thank you and that isnt on the player but the FO and coaching staff!!!
    Been saying that for 3 months. But nobody in the media will acknowledge it because it would mean criticizing their daily quote machine

But Sanchez does deserve some blame too.

All League
    I did read the article and I dont believe the quote about Eli was said with any actual knowledge. The giants selected 2 offensive players with their last 8 1st round picks. Have they made any big free agent signings on offense?

What have the colts done for luck? They drafted 2 TEs which helps him. After that the went ahead and traded their second round pick for a CB, which happens to be exactly what we did.

The Colts also have a future WR - Reggie Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    there's no way the jets would have thought they could have kept a team with 5 pro bowl OL together and pay a QB $15M a year. they were counting on sanchez to step it up in year 3/4
    EXACTLY. Hence the reason why the Jets suck right now. They counted on their QB getting better and it blew up in their faces.

That is why drastic change should be in play after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    PatsFan you only hope that the Jets FO is as stupid as you hope..Unfortunately they maybe as stupid as some of the fans......
    Just because you happen to believe in the sugar coated version of the Jets QB competition is no reason to start resorting to personal attacks.

Why you choose to hold on to Sanchez defies any logic I can think of?

He was given a chance. He was given a better chance than most will ever get. He flopped. Whether you choose to acknowledge that is immaterial. The book has closed on Sanchez. Drastic change WILL happen during the offseason. Sanchez should be counting the days until he gets cut.