Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newsday: Assessing Mark Sanchez: Experts don't pull any punches

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    He was able to make plays in 2009. Watch the clips. Today - not so much. His playmaking ability was coached out of him.
    Keller down the middle looked pretty good last week and came at a critical time.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Decision making, awareness, accuracy and the ability (or lack thereof) to handle adversity. And I think he mobility is nowhere near what it used to be. He has not been nearly as effective or accurate throwing on the move the past two years as he was in the beginning of his career.

His ceiling is being a game manager.

66 game sample size.

I can think of 2 out of 66. (2010 Houston and NE playoff) Not nearly enough. And in neither of those did he "carry the team" the entire game. Neither of those games did I walk away saying that Sanchez was the best player on the field and unquestionably the reason why the Jets won.
    Unfortunately he turns the ball over way too often to even be a game manager. It's time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Keller down the middle looked pretty good last week and came at a critical time.
    As these guys all stated, he has the skill...Of course he's going to make a play once in a while but in order to win consistently he has to play at a high level consistently. He has NEVER shown the ability to play at even an acceptable level consistently.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

The Jets ruined Mark Sanchez.

The question is: Can a new coaching staff and new playmakers resurrect him?

I say yes.

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    NONSENSE. Rex Ryan protected his young QB like no other. He gave him a stifling defense and the number 1 running game in 2009. In 2010, he gave him the 4th overall defense and the 5th overall running game.

He also gave the kid Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, and Santonio Holmes.

He gave Sanchez a safety outlet in Dustin Keller.

He gave him an OC that designed plays that would aid Sanchez in his ability to read defenses. Then, everyone said he sucked and he had to go because he was holding up Sanchez. So Rex Ryan goes to the great length of hiring another OC. Most young QB's only get one. But Sanchez got another because they believed so much in him. Then? Sanchez crapped out with another OC.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Name one young QB that had the kind of benefit that Sanchez had? Even one?

In the end, Sanchez sucks and anyone can see that.

The best course of action for the Jets in the offseason is to hold on to Rex Ryan as their HC, FIRE Sanchez, get another QB, then continue developing the team in 2013. The defense is becoming a legitimately good defense. There not there right now, but they likely will be in 2013.
    That post says it all about Sanchez.

Good job MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

I say yes.

SAR I
    20 - 8
    13 - 5
    18 - 4
    13 - 8

Those are his interception and fumble totals each of his 4 NFL seasons. Im sure the Jets coaching staff is to blame for him not holding on to the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    The overall feeling I get from this article is the jets didn't Do a good job in developing Sanchez ..
    From scheme ,personal , tebow ect..
    The thing they did wrong? Coddle his soft rump from day one to season 4 and that is it. In every other area they did their best to ease him into the league and providde as much support as is possible. Not many high draft pick rookies walk into a team like sanchez did. Most actually have it rough.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    20 - 8
    13 - 5
    18 - 4
    13 - 8

Those are his interception and fumble totals each of his 4 NFL seasons. Im sure the Jets coaching staff is to blame for him not holding on to the ball.
    Mark Sanchez hasn't had a dependable dump-off RB to bail him out since mid-2011 when Tomlinson got hurt. Every other QB in the NFL has one.

Mark Sanchez hasn't had a consistent set of WR's with which to bond and get in rhythm, EVER. Every other QB in the NFL has one or two.

Mark Sanchez hasn't had a capable offensive coordinator.

Mark Sanchez hasn't had a capable head coach.

Mark Sanchez is the victim of an insane head coach who is hell-bent on proving to the NFL that his father's style of defense can still work in today's modern NFL and he is dead wrong. As a result, we have not built up the offense at all, invested everything on an average defense, and we are dead in the water.

SAR I

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Well said, he is the worst starting QB in the NFL.
    Tuck Fexas. May it burn in hell. With you in it.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The thing they did wrong? Coddle his soft rump from day one to season 4 and that is it. In every other area they did their best to ease him into the league and providde as much support as is possible. Not many high draft pick rookies walk into a team like sanchez did. Most actually have it rough.
    Many high draft pick rookies get to sit on the bench and learn from an experienced mentor. Get eased into the game gradually, can take their 24 year old minds and grow into the job.

Mark Sanchez was drafted because we had no other quarterback on the roster and there was no decent quarerback in free agency. His GM and HC ignored that side of the ball and we're a disaster as a result.

If being thrown into the staring QB job on a team that was sitting at 8-3 the year before and a HC predicting White House visits is "coddling", I'm not sure what is.

SAR I

Mark Sanchez hasn't had a dependable dump-off RB to bail him out since mid-2011 when Tomlinson got hurt. Every other QB in the NFL has one.

Mark Sanchez hasn't had a consistent set of WR's with which to bond and get in rhythm, EVER. Every other QB in the NFL has one or two.

Mark Sanchez is the victim of an insane head coach who is hell-bent on proving to the NFL that his father's style of defense can still work in today's modern NFL and he is dead wrong. As a result, we have not built up the offense at all, invested everything on an average defense, and we are dead in the water.

SAR I
    So he did have a reliable RB out of the backfield for 2009, 2010 and half of 2011.

We got braylon edwards and santonio holmes. Both of whom had 1000 yard seasons before they got here and never had one since.

None of what you listed explains the fact that his ball security and game feel are NON EXISTENT

You hate rex which is fine, he has a lot of issues and is a below avg coach right now. But Sanchez is atrocious, every stat points to him being in the bottom 5 QBs in the league. If you cant see that, then you are as dumb as you think rex is.

Veteran

I say yes.

SAR I
    It'd require a good psychiatrist also. He has zero belief in himself. At least he plays that way. I do think he can be made into a top 10 QB.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    It'd require a good psychiatrist also. He has zero belief in himself. At least he plays that way. I do think he can be made into a top 10 QB.
    He has poor accuracy, average arm, and a bad head on his shoulder.
    I can't think of anything that he does that could be considered elite or in the top 5 at his position.

At least with Chad Pennington, you could say he was one of the most accurate and smartest qb's in the league.

I can't see how he becomes a top 10 qb... Qb's in today's NFL all have great fundamentals, and truthfully even if Sanchez had the same type, he isn't in their league as far as natural talent goes.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    So he did have a reliable RB out of the backfield for 2009, 2010 and half of 2011.

We got braylon edwards and santonio holmes. Both of whom had 1000 yard seasons before they got here and never had one since.

None of what you listed explains the fact that his ball security and game feel are NON EXISTENT

You hate rex which is fine, he has a lot of issues and is a below avg coach right now. But Sanchez is atrocious, every stat points to him being in the bottom 5 QBs in the league. If you cant see that, then you are as dumb as you think rex is.
    Hating Rex and being semi-positive on Sanchez are two different things. Not sure why you keep pushing them together in the same argument.

I don't think anyone can debate the fact that Rex Ryan is a one-sided, one-dimensional head coach that doesn't focus on the offense. That doesn't help Mark.

I don't think anyone can debate the fact that Tony Sparano is a terrible offensive coordinator. That doesn't help Mark.

I don't think anyone can debate the fact that Mike Tannenbaum over-supported the defense at the expense of the offense and left Cortland with the weakest offensive Jets squad since the early 1990's.

"Ball security" and "game feel" aren't as big an issue when he has a reliable OL, decent receiving targets, and a running game. That hasn't been the case since 2010 when at one point he went on a 16-4 winning streak including 4 miracle 4th quarter comebacks and 4 road playoff wins.

SAR I

SAR I
    I agree with most of this and add that IMO watching almost 3 NFL games every sunday, MS probably has probably the least attempts at gimme passes to RB than any other QB I watch. Whether its scheme, coaching or ability the Jets rarely throw to RB's. The last game MS Sanchez probably threw less than 5 times to a RB and one was dropped by Hilliard that was so easy to catch my wife even said "I don't think Ive ever seen a Jets RB catch a ball".
    I do believe Rex sees the error of his ways and realizes that you actually need an offense in the NFL to compete and will be addressed in the off season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Whose opinion should I trust more, actual NFL quarterbacks with combined decades of experience playing the position, or some message board posters?

Sanchez has a lot of talent and the Jets failed to develop him as a QB.

All Pro
    exception proves the rule

Jets Insider VIP
    Do you mean CUMBERLAND? It was not Keller.

For what its worth Gannon talks differently about Sanchez on his radio show. He seems to be more critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Whose opinion should I trust more, actual NFL quarterbacks with combined decades of experience playing the position, or some message board posters?

Sanchez has a lot of talent and the Jets failed to develop him as a QB.
    NFL QBs consider themselves a fraternity, so it's not like they would ever bash Sanchez...

With that said, I really didn't see anyone put their neck out there either for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    well this is apparently a good draft upcoming for olinemen so maybe the Jets will do the right thing?
    at least for one more year there's no outstanding QB for them to draft and undevelop, again.
    The Jets oline has been fine. This idea that blaming Sanchez's problems on the o-line is old and simply not true. The facts don't support it.

His first two years he had, possibly the best o-line in the league. Last year it certainly took a step back with the play of Hunter was just abysmal - but this year the o-line has been top 10 in the league.