Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dickey trade...

Dickey trade...

sounds like dickey is a blue jay, pending extension being worked out by tuesday @2pm.

I think the mets did well getting the jays top 2 prospects...

Jets Insider VIP
    Both teams get what they need in exchange for what they don't, but we'll look back on this as a steal for the Mets.

Agreed...love Dickey but this Mets team is in rebuild mode. They have promising young starters, but have nothing goin in the OF

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Agreed...love Dickey but this Mets team is in rebuild mode. They have promising young starters, but have nothing goin in the OF
    its a marathon...my bet is that the pen will eventually be composed of young AA/AAA type guys who are currently slated to start...ETA 2014

the OF, who knows. i do know that i like Nimmo, i think he will be one of the OF's down the road. i also like Kirk, but i dont know if he is going to be in the long term plans for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Both teams get what they need in exchange for what they don't, but we'll look back on this as a steal for the Mets.
    D'Arnaud has been plagued by injuries. Syndergaard is raw and is years away from being major league ready.

I wouldn't predict this being a Mets steal yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    D'Arnaud has been plagued by injuries. Syndergaard is raw and is years away from being major league ready.

its not steal based on the fact that d'arnaud is going to be the next piazza and sundergaard is going to be the next chris carpenter...its a steal based on what we have and know today...which is the mets were able to get 2 top level prospect (one of which law had rated as 5th best prospect in baseball in his mid season report last year) for a guy that they currently dont "need".

I personaly think the mets did better then the rays did in the Shields trade.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    its not steal based on the fact that d'arnaud is going to be the next piazza and sundergaard is going to be the next chris carpenter...its a steal based on what we have and know today...which is the mets were able to get 2 top level prospect (one of which law had rated as 5th best prospect in baseball in his mid season report last year) for a guy that they currently dont "need".

I personaly think the mets did better then the rays did in the Shields trade.
    I think the Mets did very well for a 38 year old knuckle ball pitcher, as they can vary a bit from year to year.

All League
    I hate that the Mets were in the position to do to this kind of deal, but this is a nice return for them. Gonna miss having Dickey on the team, he'd become my favorite player on the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    I loved RA as a Met

But the trade for a real catcher ...a desperate need...and another legit young pitcher made complete sense.

RA is 38. The Mets should not have offered the long-term deal he will get from some team like the Jays in a win now mode.

The starting rote is still the Mets strength with Dickey gone

Now....the outfield still consists of Duda Baxter Niuwenheis and Valdespin

All better than Jason Bay-rod but hardly anything to write home about. Is there any hope for improvement in the system??

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro

Someone is a Blue Jays fans. Any high end prospect has a chance to not work out and they all have negatives. They're like raffle tickets though. The more you have, the better chance you find real difference makers for your franchise.

It's a really good return for a knuckle baller. He didn't have much long term value for the Mets since he isn't a finesse knuckle baller. He isn't going to be Wakefield.

Jays will get good years out of him and are clearly going for it so it works out in the short term for them.

Sandy has done a nice job so far in these big player trades. He turned Beltran and Dickey into Wheeler, D'Anaurd and Syndergaard (sp on both)
    Last edited by Bay Ridge Jet; 12-17-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    I hate that the Mets were in the position to do to this kind of deal, but this is a nice return for them. Gonna miss having Dickey on the team, he'd become my favorite player on the team.
    Me too. It's a bummer, but the right thing to do.
    Sadly, the Wilpons couldn't be included in the deal.

I'll be cheering for him for the rest of his career. What a guy.
    He fueled any fire left in our hearts through this crapshow of a season. The ballpark was alive whenever I'd see him pitch.
    I was there for 1-hitter #2, it was the happiest I had ever seen CitiField, people finally had someone special to celebrate. He really was the storyline, not Johan.

Thrilled

This is a GREAT trade. I have been praying all weekend that the Blue Jays don't come to their senses. Like Casey use to say I lost 140 games with you and I can lose them without you.

No way in hell they compete with the teams in their division so 2013 is a total rebuilding year. But with the salaries coming off the book after 2013 they will have money to spend. The infield is solid and FINALLY the catching will be solid (I am praying), then all that needs to be addressed is the outfield.

Lastly what I haven't heard anybody say is that part of this trade is they don't have to pay 12.5 million a year to RA in the years 2014 and 2015. That can turn out to be a pretty good player. So it is not only what they got from the Jays but an additional player for what they would have had to pay RA.

Next is Santana, I hope he starts out great and someone is interested.

Thank you RA you were great. I wish you the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Someone is a Blue Jays fans. Any high end prospect has a chance to not work out and they all have negatives. They're like raffle tickets though. The more you have, the better chance you find real difference makers for your franchise.

It's a really good return for a knuckle baller. He didn't have much long term value for the Mets since he isn't a finesse knuckle baller. He isn't going to be Wakefield.

Jays will get good years out of him and are clearly going for it so it works out in the short term for them.

Sandy has done a nice job so far in these big player trades. He turned Beltran and Dickey into Wheeler, D'Anaurd and Syndergaard (sp on both)
    I'm a Jays diehard.

Also, good post. I agree with you on all points made.

Good luck with D'Arnaud, I had high hopes for him...if he stays healthy, he'll be pretty good. Syndergaard, however, is a few years away yet. His fast ball touches the upper 90's, but has no movement...he still needs plenty of seasoning.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

I agree with this analysis.

Trading for a catcher just off of knee surgery is akin to buying a second hand car after a wreck. It may turn out great but you are taking a chance.

And again here is me playing my one string banjo...teams based in NYC should not have to take a chance on the reigning Cy Young winner. But i guess teams based in NYC should not let the reigning batting champ leave town without making him an offer, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I agree with this analysis.

Trading for a catcher just off of knee surgery is akin to buying a second hand car after a wreck. It may turn out great but you are taking a chance.

And again here is me playing my one string banjo...teams based in NYC should not have to take a chance on the reigning Cy Young winner. But i guess teams based in NYC should not let the reigning batting champ leave town without making him an offer, either.
    you are talking out of your ass, any kind of an injury is not a black or white thing...it could have been severe or it could have been nothing...and by all accounts it was nothing to worry about (it was in 2010, and did not require surgery).
    Last edited by K-Met57; 12-26-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfanfromthestart View Post
    This is a GREAT trade. I have been praying all weekend that the Blue Jays don't come to their senses. Like Casey use to say I lost 140 games with you and I can lose them without you.

No way in hell they compete with the teams in their division so 2013 is a total rebuilding year. But with the salaries coming off the book after 2013 they will have money to spend.The infield is solid and FINALLY the catching will be solid (I am praying), then all that needs to be addressed is the outfield.

Lastly what I haven't heard anybody say is that part of this trade is they don't have to pay 12.5 million a year to RA in the years 2014 and 2015. That can turn out to be a pretty good player. So it is not only what they got from the Jays but an additional player for what they would have had to pay RA.

Next is Santana, I hope he starts out great and someone is interested.

Thank you RA you were great. I wish you the best!
    Agree on all points BUT not confident Wilpon will open the wallet when the cap gets cleared. If not this is nothing more than a salary dump.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 12-26-2012 at 06:00 PM.

All League
    you are talking out of your ass, any kind of an injury is not a black or white thing...it could have been severe or it could have been nothing...and by all accounts it was nothing to worry about (it was in 2010, and did not require surgery).
    Re-read my post

I said it is taking a chance. I don't think we needed to take a chance.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Agree on all points BUT not confident Wilpon will open the wallet when the cap gets cleared. If not this is nothing more than a salary dump.
    They won't

The Wilpon’s are working on the theory that they should only "buy low" and "sell high". That is the basic premise of money ball.

If the team is "bad" they will have to overpay in free agency. A strong argument can be made that signing a free agent who is "coveted" is by definition overpaying.

IMHO, the Mets have re-entered the "Cubs zone". They know they will turn a profit no matter what product they put on the field. So they will sit back and hope their minor league system will produce a champion every other decade.

Lets go Mets

All League

Ok, I thought about your response to me and I did some reading.

This is what I learned:

In 2010 D'Arnaud had back issues but played thru them. In 2012 he tore knee ligaments and did not have surgery. He played in 67 games last year.

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2012/0...nee-ligaments/

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=darnau001tra