Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

Thread: Kirk Cousins

  1. #21
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    Do you honestly believe they didn't scout him and take him because he was a good college QB. Wash is a smart team, if he doesn't work out, they waste a 4th rd pick on him, if he does become a great QB, they have a great backup to a QB who likes to run which gives more opp for injury. They had crap for QB's last year so they cleaned house and picked up two qb's in the draft. Now that they know that he can play, what a great back up they have at a cheap price and they can trade him if they want to, but no need to because of the low price tag. Moves like this are ones that I wish our FO would do.
    I don't even know how to respond to this. Of course I believe they scouted him and took him because they thought he was good and had potential. What does that have to do with anything? Whether they picked him with a hope of eventually trading him, or picked him to be a 4 year back up, they didn't pick him because they thought he was no good.

    I'm not going to debate your opinion on keeping him as a back up is the "smart" move, but I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Obviously the Redskins never want RGIII to miss a snap, but him missing the final series last week and the game this week, and Kirk Cousins coming in and shining is about the best case scenario in DC.

    They took Cousins hoping he became Matt Schaub to Griffin's Vick, and then trade him off to a QB starved team.

    Now the real question is, what would it take to get Cousins in your opinion, and would you want the Jets to go after him?

    Depending on the price, I would love for them to take a look, and not just based off the past 2 weeks. I think Cousins could be a very solid NFL starter if he is given time to develop.
    They drafted Cousins cause they knew it was highly probably RG3 would get hurt, why the hell would they trade him especially being proven right. Cousins is there for at least 2 more years. They spent a 4th rounder on him for a reason dude. Unless some team is dumb enough to give up a 2nd for him he'll stay there.

    Rivers, Alex Smith, Flynn, Vick

    These are the guys that could be available and a sleeper could be TJ Yates. He filled in real nicely for the Texans as a rookie last year after Schaub went down. For a 5th rounder or whatever he was he sure looked decent and he even won a playoff game. I wouldn't even pick Cousins above any of these guys cause all of these guys above showed more than cousins .... even Flynn ... he looked ridiculous when he filled in for Rogers. Cousins looks like a solid game manager but nothing I'd trade anything worth value for.

  3. #23
    Just use the pick to DRAFT a QB in this draft which is pretty good. Unless you want to commit a new start contract and give up a kings ransom for some other teams BU that hasn't proven much. Basically this would take what Zona paid for Kolb. A 2nd Cro? and give Cousins a 5 year 60 mill deal. I'll pass. And yes you'd have to commit to him long term. You don't give up that kind of value for a 2 year patch or BU unless that patch is a HOF already.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    If I want a QB that produced in a handful of games, it's going to be Matt Flynn, not Kirk Cousins.
    Flynn is the guy I want. Maybe Carrol will trade him for his old QB Sanchez ? Both salaries are similar. Sanchez might become a nice backup QB with a change of scenery.

    Biggest problem would likely be the salary cap hit with the trade. But I'd rather have the team eat that and be done with Sanchez than to keep him around only because of his huge salary.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Washington will want at least a 2nd rounder and this regime would just screw him up.
    I agree. The only way they trade him is for at the very least a 2nd round pick. Otherwise there is no reason to trade him.

  6. #26
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,406
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    He hasn't earned anything.



    He's now played more NFL football than any player at the time they were drafted. In other words, more...and not less, is known about him than when he was drafted. Just like using a #1 pick on a guy out of college, it's a risk, but maybe it's now less of risk to make a trade for a guy like Cousins.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    6,278
    Change the CS on this team and we will see improvement on the offense. Rex and Sparano if giving the chance to would even screw up Peyton Manning.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    They drafted Cousins cause they knew it was highly probably RG3 would get hurt, why the hell would they trade him especially being proven right. Cousins is there for at least 2 more years. They spent a 4th rounder on him for a reason dude. Unless some team is dumb enough to give up a 2nd for him he'll stay there.

    Rivers, Alex Smith, Flynn, Vick

    These are the guys that could be available and a sleeper could be TJ Yates. He filled in real nicely for the Texans as a rookie last year after Schaub went down. For a 5th rounder or whatever he was he sure looked decent and he even won a playoff game. I wouldn't even pick Cousins above any of these guys cause all of these guys above showed more than cousins .... even Flynn ... he looked ridiculous when he filled in for Rogers. Cousins looks like a solid game manager but nothing I'd trade anything worth value for.
    Jesus Christ. For the 3rd time in this thread, yes, I'm aware they used a 4th round pick on him for a reason. The reason wasn't strictly so he could be a back up QB. That makes absolutely no sense, when they could have just signed one of the slew of veteran QB's that were available and are more than adequate as a back up QB.

    They picked him in the hopes they could develope him and turn him around to recoup a draft pick they lost in the RGIII trade. Obviously they aren't going to just trade him for a 4th or 3rd round pick. Whether or not you think he's actually worth a second round pick is different discussion. But, in my opinion, to try and argue that they weren't hoping for this scenario to play out when they drafted him is just stupid. If it doesn't play out, at worst they have their back up QB. I'd bet my bottom dollar they would trade him in a heart beat this off season if some team offers him a 2nd round pick.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,317
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    They drafted Cousins cause they knew it was highly probably RG3 would get hurt, why the hell would they trade him especially being proven right. Cousins is there for at least 2 more years. They spent a 4th rounder on him for a reason dude. Unless some team is dumb enough to give up a 2nd for him he'll stay there.

    Rivers, Alex Smith, Flynn, Vick

    These are the guys that could be available and a sleeper could be TJ Yates. He filled in real nicely for the Texans as a rookie last year after Schaub went down. For a 5th rounder or whatever he was he sure looked decent and he even won a playoff game. I wouldn't even pick Cousins above any of these guys cause all of these guys above showed more than cousins .... even Flynn ... he looked ridiculous when he filled in for Rogers. Cousins looks like a solid game manager but nothing I'd trade anything worth value for.
    The Jets should definitely make a call about Yates in the offseason.

  10. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    How about if we grow a brain and actually draft some value Qb's in the mid rounds instead of trading away our 3,4,5th rounders every year to move up in the late 1st or 2nd rounds. No can do of course because that QB might be a threat to Sanchez.

    The Jets front office stinks.
    +1. This my primary reason for not supporting the Tebow trade -- in addition for trading a 4, they also used up the last roster spot for a QB. With all the question marks about Sanchez heading into this season, Tanny should have used a mid-rounder on a developmental QB to be his potential replacement. Last year, Philly did that with Foles, Washington did it with Cousins, Denver did it with Osweiler, Seattle did it with Wilson. But the Jets brain trust decided to go into this season with Tebow as their backup plan.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    They drafted Cousins cause they knew it was highly probably RG3 would get hurt, why the hell would they trade him especially being proven right. Cousins is there for at least 2 more years. They spent a 4th rounder on him for a reason dude. Unless some team is dumb enough to give up a 2nd for him he'll stay there.

    Rivers, Alex Smith, Flynn, Vick

    These are the guys that could be available and a sleeper could be TJ Yates. He filled in real nicely for the Texans as a rookie last year after Schaub went down. For a 5th rounder or whatever he was he sure looked decent and he even won a playoff game. I wouldn't even pick Cousins above any of these guys cause all of these guys above showed more than cousins .... even Flynn ... he looked ridiculous when he filled in for Rogers. Cousins looks like a solid game manager but nothing I'd trade anything worth value for.
    Heck no to Rivers and Vick- I know they've had the most success but they have baggage and their price tag is too high. Flynn's contract might be too much to handle also. Smith is my #1 choice but I'd be okay with Yates or Cousins too. Right now, the Jets' 3rd string QB is the only one they have who can throw the ball- it can't get worse.

  12. #32
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The Jets should definitely make a call about Yates in the offseason.
    Please no....... I watched him at UNC. Good player, not a good fit in NY. he would be Browning Nagle all ver again. IMO.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    WASH has no reason what so ever to trade Cousins until his contract is up. Great back up insurance for cheap.
    This X 1000. Good, cheap backups that carry no controversy (looking at you woody for bringing in tebow) know their role, and have talent at a low cost are extremely valuable especially in the case of RGIIIs backup as he is at greater risk of injury due to his running.

    We HAVE to take a shot on a 2nd-4th round QB this season....Hopefully Ryan Nassib from syracuse who has been on a poor team, but has a lot of skills and can run which is very important as the zone-read plays are becoming so successful

  14. #34
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,762
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post



    He's now played more NFL football than any player at the time they were drafted. In other words, more...and not less, is known about him than when he was drafted. Just like using a #1 pick on a guy out of college, it's a risk, but maybe it's now less of risk to make a trade for a guy like Cousins.
    Dude, c'mon. The guy's barely played two games. He beat the Browns and now we're asking whether or not we should make him a Jet? Sanchez has beaten the Browns and he stinks. You wanna talk about TJ Yates or Flynn, that makes more sense. But playing in two games doesn't earn him the right to this discussion. Especially considering he was only drafted this year.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Please no....... I watched him at UNC. Good player, not a good fit in NY. he would be Browning Nagle all ver again. IMO.
    + 1

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Dude, c'mon. The guy's barely played two games. He beat the Browns and now we're asking whether or not we should make him a Jet? Sanchez has beaten the Browns and he stinks. You wanna talk about TJ Yates or Flynn, that makes more sense. But playing in two games doesn't earn him the right to this discussion. Especially considering he was only drafted this year.
    I'm not necessarily in favor of Cousins, but what exactly makes Flynn or Yates a better option than Cousins? Flynn had one monster game against one of the worst secondaries in the last decade of the NFL, and TJ Yates didn't get in the way of the most talented roster in the AFC last year.

    Washington has FAR less talent than the Packers when Flynn shined or the Texans when Yates didn't implode.

    It's too early to tell if Cousins is worth taking a shot for anyone, not just the Jets, but he was more highly regarded than either Flynn or Yates coming out of college, and all have had about the same amount of success but somehow those 2 should be highly considered?

  17. #37
    We should trade for Cousins ASAP. Santonio Holmes for Cousins sounds like a good deal.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    We should trade for Cousins ASAP. Santonio Holmes for Cousins sounds like a good deal.
    If you were an internet GM maybe.

    Not even then

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,523
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    KC was drafted at pick 102....we traded pick 108 to get Tebow.

    We could easily have gotten Cousins but he won't sell PSLs.
    Exactly, I made this point last week. Instead the Jets made the worst off season move of any NFL team this year.

  20. #40
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,559
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Exactly, I made this point last week. Instead the Jets made the worst off season move of any NFL team this year.
    Did some toolbox comment that 102 is less than 108?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us