Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow. So many good young QBs

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. So many good young QBs

I think 2012 may be looked back on as a transition year, and the 2012 draft as one with similarities to 83.

Wilson, Luck and RG3 will be staples for many years. Personally I think Wilson is the best QB of the three but Luck and RG3 get all the attention

Kaepernick has a breakout season.

Tannehill looks good.

Kirk Cousins will be a franchise QB for someone some day, maybe even Washington

That said, I think that RG3, Wilson and Kaepernick and Cam Newton will change QB'ing for a while.

I think the NFL option and variants such as the pistol and that triangle formation that 49ers have is here to stay because it is run to pass as much as run. The college triple option cannot work, but the NFL version run by Wilson, RG3 and Kaepernick is so hard to defend because they are such good passers. The wildcat, and college triple option was just to run and can be defended by blitzing and proper gap coverage. Do that against these 3 and they eat you alive in the pass.

Wilson today was unstoppable. He improves pretty dramatically each week it seems and he can beat you in every way possible. Yes he has Marshawn Lynch but I think he is the best pocket passer of the bunch, even over Luck and he kills you throwing on the run, keeping plays alive and running when needed.

Unfortunately none of these guys are on the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is depressing seeing all these young guys playing really well and Sanchez at career worst in year 4. Why couldn't we have lucked out?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    stop reminding me

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is most frusterating is that if Tebow could throw, he'd fit right into the changing offensive game that the NFL is experiencing right now.

But he can't throw.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Bradway was right to love Wilson in the draft. Pity the Jets didn't have the opportunity to pick him. Would we have taken him in the 3rd if we had had the chance? Doubtful after the Tebow trade. This team is truly snake-bitten.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Except for the NYJ's.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I think 2012 may be looked back on as a transition year, and the 2012 draft as one with similarities to 83.

Wilson, Luck and RG3 will be staples for many years. Personally I think Wilson is the best QB of the three but Luck and RG3 get all the attention

Tannehill looks good.

That said, I think that RG3, Wilson and Kaepernick and Cam Newton will change QB'ing for a while.

I think the NFL option and variants such as the pistol and that triangle formation that 49ers have is here to stay because it is run to pass as much as run. The college triple option cannot work, but the NFL version run by Wilson, RG3 and Kaepernick is so hard to defend because they are such good passers. The wildcat, and college triple option was just to run and can be defended by blitzing and proper gap coverage. Do that against these 3 and they eat you alive in the pass.

Wilson today was unstoppable. He improves pretty dramatically each week it seems and he can beat you in every way possible. Yes he has Marshawn Lynch but I think he is the best pocket passer of the bunch, even over Luck and he kills you throwing on the run, keeping plays alive and running when needed.

Great post.

I disagree with you about Wilson being the best of the bunch, but I'll tell you what...I'd take him over RG3.

People forget that the Skins and 'Hawks had potent defenses and a running game in place (sure Morris came out of nowhere, but in Shanny's zone scheme, I don't find it so obscure that they just plugged another RB in).

I still think what Luck is doing is absurd. We can't forget how bad the Colts were. The fact that he's carrying a team that didn't already have the defense or the pieces around him in place, is remarkable enough...and then add the coaching issues surrounding the team, and it's on another level.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would we have taken him in the 3rd if we had had the chance?
    We would never play him so it wouldnt matter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding the change: I don't necessarily agree with you about the schematic changes in the NFL being here to stay. I think as with Cam, and to a lesser degree, Vick before him, you'll see opposing teams being able to figure it out after some time in the league.

I think what is changing, is the mentality that QBs aren't football players. The dynamics of QB play is changing, and that is here to stay. But over time, you'll see the spreads/options/pistol QBs regressing back to the mean and trying to become pocket passers.

Wilson, schematically, is more comparable to pocket passers than he is to Pistol QBs...the difference is that he's more willing to use his legs than the other traditional QBs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to draft a QB every year.
    Or try to trade for one.
    Mark is not our savior

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And we don't have a one, or if we do we're having him play third string.

Good ol' Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I called last year the year of the QB where everyone called it the year prior. We already have 6 rookie starters and a 7th in Brock that will likely become one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets made a critical error in not drafting a QB in last years draft. It was by all accounts a very good year for QBs, as is being proved out on the field now. Look at the QBs drafted and then look at the starter that was in place, you will see that teams with MUCH better starting QBs than Sanchez addressed the QB position. Broncos drafted Ossweiler in the second with Manning as starter, Redskins drafted Cousins in the 4th after giving up a fortune to draft RGIII, Seahawks drafted Wilson after giving Flynn big money, Eagles drafted Foles even though they were paying Vick a ton of money. Instead the Jets opted to trade for Tebow.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We would never play him so it wouldnt matter.
    Great point haha.

Russell Wilson might have been given a chance in training camp of 2014. Wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of our little "QB" who is built like a Place Kicker.

Which brings another point. Wilson is supposed to be small physically, how does Sanchez look in comparison?

I'm just so sick of this, turn the page on this bum. In baseball, if you have a relief pitcher that turns out to be wild, do you keep sending him out there? For 5 f**kin years??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who the hell cares how good they are if they can't win a super bowl?

Tannehill is not winning a super bowl.

Stafford isn't.

Cousins is far from a franchise QB and it's really annoying that people throw that term around so much.

Kaepernick has huge flaws and probably won't win a super bowl. Only reason he has a chance is the fact that Frisco is littered with All-pros. Same reason Alex Smith sucks but had a chance with that team.

Seems like every year there are some suckers who get worked up about some of the young guys in the league, yet every year it's the same guys winning the super bowl... Eli, Peyton, Brady, or Rodgers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If these guys keep running as often as they do they will end up like Michael Vick. The guys that last in this league are guys like the Mannings and Brady who get rid of the ball quick and turtle if they are going to get smacked.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The Jets made a critical error in not drafting a QB in last years draft. It was by all accounts a very good year for QBs, as is being proved out on the field now. Look at the QBs drafted and then look at the starter that was in place, you will see that teams with MUCH better starting QBs than Sanchez addressed the QB position. Broncos drafted Ossweiler in the second with Manning as starter, Redskins drafted Cousins in the 4th after giving up a fortune to draft RGIII, Seahawks drafted Wilson after giving Flynn big money, Eagles drafted Foles even though they were paying Vick a ton of money. Instead the Jets opted to trade for Tebow.
    Sady, your right on point, because Tebow sells more jerseys than Foles, Cousins, or Wilson

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

Tannehill looks good.

Far too early for such projections.

-RGIII could be out of the league in a few years due to playstyle-caused injuries. He's a torn ACL waiting to happen. Same for Kaepernick.

-Wilson could just as quickly fall as he rose. Wait till the league has a feel for him.

-Luck should project out well, but who knows. Remember what folsk weere saying about Sanchez (and Stafford) after their first two years.

-Tannehill does look pretty good. So did any number fo Dolphins QB's early on, all of whom fell back quickly and utlimately were JAG's.

-Cam Newton, who knows. Wallowing in a failurezone may motivate him and he'll win where he moves on, or he may just amaze and statwhore for the rest of time in Carolina, winning 5-7 games a year and never winning anything more.

I agree, it looks liek a great time to be an NFL Fan, with some amazing Veterans still around, and a whole slew of interesting and enjoyable young talent on the seeming rise.

It sucks that we, yet again, have the worst of the worst of the young crop of recent high-potential QB's in Sanchez. He's not even Ken O'Brien.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Washington drafted 2 this year, we still have none.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have 7 draft picks every year. There is no reason we cannot spend 1 of those on a qb in every draft until we find the right guy.