Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eli Manning gets a pass thanks to the Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    2007 playoffs – 6 tds – 1 int, Beat (17-0) Pats team in the Superbowl… a team that would have arguably went down as the greatest ever.

2011 playoffs – 9 tds – 1 int – avg’d 305 yards/game – Beat GB, SF on the road and then Pats in the Superbowl.

2 Superbowl MVP’s.

People here cite Sanchez’s 4 road playoff wins as proof that he is a “great” QB…

Could you imagine if Eli was a Jet, played as well as he did in the playoffs and brought us 2 Championships…
    No one is disputing that Eli played well in some of those playoff wins, but you can't overlook the fact that the Giants D was the star of almost all of those games. When your D holds offenses used to scoring 30+ a game to 14-17, you're probably going to win. No one knows this better than Sanchez

Eli is a good QB. But he's not a great one no matter how hard the NY Media tries to make him out to be

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    This is all true, and was even true in '07, their first super bowl run.

The only legit top QB season Eli has had in his career was last season.

He was never as bad as people made him out to be between '04-'07, and he's not as good as people have made him out to be over the past 5 years.

The fact that people would take Eli over Peyton after the super bowl last year blew my mind. Peyton has been playing with FAR less of a defense and a subpar run game his entire career; save this year.

Eli has the benefit of the best front office in the game. No one manages their team's talent better than the G-Men.
    You forget PM had Edge James in his prime rushing for 1500 yards and a lot of receiving out of the backfield. They just couldn't get past NE.

All Pro
    2007 playoffs – 6 tds – 1 int, Beat (17-0) Pats team in the Superbowl… a team that would have arguably went down as the greatest ever.

2011 playoffs – 9 tds – 1 int – avg’d 305 yards/game – Beat GB, SF on the road and then Pats in the Superbowl.

2 Superbowl MVP’s.

People here cite Sanchez’s 4 road playoff wins as proof that he is a “great” QB…

Could you imagine if Eli was a Jet, played as well as he did in the playoffs and brought us 2 Championships…
    It took Eli 4 years to get to get to that point. Always overlooked.

The Giants could very well be 6-8 this year or worse. They should have lost to the Skins and Bucs and could very well have lost to the Cowboys.

All League
    LOL sanchez has nothing to do with this

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    It took Eli 4 years to get to get to that point. Always overlooked.
    And he stunk in 07 during the regular season. And even since then, not every season has been a gem. If you had the 2012 statlines of Eli, Palmer, and Fitzpatrick in front of you without names, you could not distinguish who was who between the 3 of them. When that is the case in your prime, you are not a Hall of Fame player. End of story

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Why do people consider this team such a circus? I hate Tebow as much as anyone but I completely understand why you would get a guy who has done nothing but win his entire life.

People just buy into what the media throws at them. They throw those front pages with the circus mentions and everyone goes with it.

The fact that this team continues to win games despite having one of the worst QB's in the league is pretty freaking amazing.
    Absolutely.

And it seems as though some Jets fans only watch jets games and the highlight clips from every other game.

The Giants got shut out. SHUT OUT.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Absolutely.

And it seems as though some Jets fans only watch jets games and the highlight clips from every other game.

The Giants got shut out. SHUT OUT.
    Did anyone even talk about this? I didn't watch the news, etc., but it seems totally overlooked.

2 Superbowl MVP’s.

He'd have a statue in Florham Park.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    He'd have a statue in Florham Park.
    Yeah, but you know this board, given Eli's inconsistency this season, there'd probably be a good percentage of posters calling for the backup to play or for him to be benched/cut/traded, lol

Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    You forget PM had Edge James in his prime rushing for 1500 yards and a lot of receiving out of the backfield. They just couldn't get past NE.
    Edge was a very good back, no doubt about it. However, Peyton was in his prime and setting records which kept most defenses in 5 DB looks and well off the LOS.

I was never scared of Edge and the defense winning the Colts a game by themselves. The same can't be said about any of the Giants teams or the current Broncos team that Peyton is on.

Edge was a very good back, no doubt about it. However, Peyton was in his prime and setting records which kept most defenses in 5 DB looks and well off the LOS.

I was never scared of Edge and the defense winning the Colts a game by themselves. The same can't be said about any of the Giants teams or the current Broncos team that Peyton is on.
    This is probably the best D Peyton has ever played with. Although the 2006 Colts D somehow managed to play elite in the playoffs after a bad regular season. It's not rocket science. You give Peyton a D that plays at an elite level, he's going to win SBs.

Eli Manning is a 2-time SuperBowl Champion.

He gets a LIFETIME Pass, IMO.

He could stink up the Joint like Mark the rest of his career and he'll STILL get a pass.

I may be wrong about this but....IMO, a QB's career is defined by how many SuperBowl's they've won(aside from Dan Marino who destroyed every passing record there was and even he participated in a SuperBowl once). People remember what QB's won SuperBowls.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    This is probably the best D Peyton has ever played with. Although the 2006 Colts D somehow managed to play elite in the playoffs after a bad regular season. It's not rocket science. You give Peyton a D that plays at an elite level, he's going to win SBs.
    I agree, and have been ranting about this for years.

Brady, for all his marvel, only won superbowls when he had a defense that could stop someone.

Manning (whom I believe is the greatest I've seen with mine own eyes) only won the one year he had a defense.

Big Ben has had potent defenses, and Rogers had equally the most efficient and quality season a QB has ever had, yet he won the superbowl the year he had a defense that could be counted upon, and not last season.

This notion that one QB is significantly and absolutely better than others based on super bowl wins is absurd. Once you're part of the top layer, they're all interchangeable.

I'd take Peyton first on an all-NFL, all-time team, but I wouldn't even be the slightest bit upset with Brady, Montana, Elway, or Marino.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, Peyton would best Eli every day of the week, and the fact that Brady didn't best Eli those two times, is a reflection of the Giants' tremendous defenses showing up, and the inconsistent Patriots defenses folding at critical times.

Jets Insider VIP
    BTW, Sanchez and the Jets circus is actually also masking how bad Flacco, Freeman and Stafford have been...all three have a top tier skill player on their offense and fairly potent other options, and they still are crapping the bed.
    Thank you!!!!!

I agree, and have been ranting about this for years.

Brady, for all his marvel, only won superbowls when he had a defense that could stop someone.

Manning (whom I believe is the greatest I've seen with mine own eyes) only won the one year he had a defense.

Big Ben has had potent defenses, and Rogers had equally the most efficient and quality season a QB has ever had, yet he won the superbowl the year he had a defense that could be counted upon, and not last season.

This notion that one QB is significantly and absolutely better than others based on super bowl wins is absurd. Once you're part of the top layer, they're all interchangeable.

I'd take Peyton first on an all-NFL, all-time team, but I wouldn't even be the slightest bit upset with Brady, Montana, Elway, or Marino.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, Peyton would best Eli every day of the week, and the fact that Brady didn't best Eli those two times, is a reflection of the Giants' tremendous defenses showing up, and the inconsistent Patriots defenses folding at critical times.
    Great post. I think I pretty much agree with all of it. The Pats D failed to make critical stops, even allowing fluke type plays that seemed like they couldn't be duplicated if you had 100 tries. I do knock Brady a bit for some poor decision-making and throws even when not under duress though, especially in last year's SB.

Eli Manning got SHUT OUT yesterday- how are people shrugging this off?

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Eli Manning got SHUT OUT yesterday- how are people shrugging this off?
    Two Super Bowls.

Just in case you didn't read the thread.