View Poll Results: Who should be starting at QB for the 49ers?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colin Kapernick

37 92.50%
  • Alex Smith

3 7.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test Question

Test Question

Who should be starting at QB for the 49ers?

Smith statistically was having an outstanding year prior to being benched.

Kapernick is enormous, runs a 4.5, and can throw the football close to 80+ yards from his knees.

There's no doubt that Kapernick is the better talent...and the 49ers future franchise QB. But I saw him drop the ball three or four times in last night's win over the Pats.

So I wonder if Kapernick is going to be in over his head come playoff time. 49ers are a veteran team poised to make a run for the Supe. Is Kapernick ready to take it up a knotch with them?

I dunno.

If they want to win the Super Bowl they should be looking at starting Alex Smith. Tatoo is going to choke it up big time.

Kapernick because he not only gives them a better chance to win this year, but because he is also the QB of the future.

I still remember (and I assume Harbaugh remembers) the performance by Alex Smith against the Giants in last years NFC Championship game. He was throwing ground balls at open WRs all game. If he had played just "badly" instead of "terribly" they win that game easy.

This is a "test" question because despite the drawbacks of being a young QB and having issues with receiving snaps under center, it shows how great having a coach like Jim Harbaugh is who understands the difference between a QB who generally doesn't lose you games and a QB who can win you games on his own.

Being able to recognize this and then having the freedom to make such a ballsy move on one of the top 3-4 teams talent-wise in the NFL is what sets apart a crappy franchise from one the great ones.

Particularly if your team's brain trust can't see it or understand it.

Which is something we all should be very concerned with. All the calls that I see for the Jets to get Smith are really horrifying.

All League
    Harbaugh knew the limitations of Smith and thought the Niners could not truly be an elite team with him at the helm. Once Alex suffered the concussion, he knew it was time to promote Kaepernick. I am sure the emergence of Russell Wilson and the Seahawks had a lot to do with his decision.

All Pro
    Please see avatar

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    This is a "test" question because despite the drawbacks of being a young QB and having issues with receiving snaps under center, it shows how great having a coach like Jim Harbaugh is who understands the difference between a QB who generally doesn't lose you games and a QB who can win you games on his own.

Being able to recognize this and then having the freedom to make such a ballsy move on one of the top 3-4 teams talent-wise in the NFL is what sets apart a crappy franchise from one the great ones.

Particularly if your team's brain trust can't see it or understand it.

Which is something we all should be very concerned with. All the calls that I see for the Jets to get Smith are really horrifying.
    Let's take a breath and have Harbaugh win something before we send him to the HOF.
    As far as talent - laden not sure what this has to do with decision making but being the NFC laughingstock for years has stocked SF with lots of talent. So far Harbaugh is a better coach than Mike Singletary which isn't saying much, yet.
    But I agree, the calls for Smith are ridiculous - we already have Smith aka Sanchez.

All League
    I'm really hoping we bring in an offensive mind this offseason that has a clue about how to develop QB talent .. ie not Sparano or Cavanaugh. Even if Sanchez is a lost cause, I don't want the next Jets QB to be screwed up by poor coaching.

Jets Insider VIP
    Kaepernick just beat the Pats in NE in a huge game for both teams. Harbaraugh made the right choice.

Kaepernick has a much higher ceiling. Depending on the opponent, Smith arguably might give them a better chance to win a playoff game this season (because less likely to turn it over), but in the long run and going forward Kaepernick is the better talent and player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Kopernick

Smith stinks

Not as bad as Teblow but still bad

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The answer is Kaepernick.

As a Jets fan I'm so jealous watching guys like Kaepernick and Wilson playing so well, guys drafted after the first round...how difficult can it be for our GM, coach, scouts etc to find one of these gems?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Kopernick

Smith stinks

Not as bad as Teblow but still bad

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Any of the above better than Sanchez.

Kaepernick looked great last night (except for the dropped snaps but whatever). Dude can sling it. It must be nice to have a QB like that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Kaepernick looked great last night (except for the dropped snaps but whatever). Dude can sling it. It must be nice to have a QB like that.
    I thought he looked pretty good as well (what the hell were all the fumbled exchanges?).

What really impressed me was he was always looking to throw first, and not run. He moved around in the pocket extremely well.

His only two real mistakes was over throwing Vernon Davis for a sure TD and then not locating McCourty on the INT in the endzone.

He will only get better.

Easy to answer after the last few games, this poll should have been put in place one game after Kapernick played.

The old 'you shouldn't lose your job if you are injured' bunk is just that even though all the experts like to trot it out. Harbaugh has brains and the balls to go against the norm if he feels one guy truly does give him the best chance to win. Unlike our dumbo coach.

All Pro
    Any 'success' Sanchez had in the 2009 or 2010 seasons was thanks to a top defense. Kaepernick's 'success' (such as it is - so far) has nothing to do with the even better defense around him. Discuss.

Kaepernick.

In today's game it's extremely hard to win a championship with a game manager at the Quarterback position. The last team to do so, depending on what you believe a game manager is, was either the 2000 Baltimore Ravens, 2001 New England Patriots or 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers. Teams like the Jets (Sanchez), Ravens (Flacco) and 49ers (Smith) all have come close numerous times, but to get over the Conference Championship Game hump and reach a Super Bowl, you need someone who can change a game. Do you need a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers? No, Eli Manning has proven that - case in point, Houston could do it this year with Matt Schaub, or Atlanta with Matt RYan, both second-tier QB's - but you can't do it with someone like a Sanchez, Flacco or Smith.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Any 'success' Sanchez had in the 2009 or 2010 seasons was thanks to a top defense. Kaepernick's 'success' (such as it is - so far) has nothing to do with the even better defense around him. Discuss.
    Are you really equating Sanchez' play from '09 with Kaepernick's play since he took over?