Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you realize

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Well there goes the game tonight. Thanks Maine!
    Tonight's in the bag.

Stay tuned for CJ Spiller in two weeks with the playoffs on the line.

I've been watching this team too long.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Did you sleep walk through the Jets 5 blowout losses?

34-0
    27-10
    30-9
    28-7
    49-19

To my original point, why would those teams even consider throwing the football in blowout games like that?
    Is a Pats fan really trying to argue the point that a team won't throw the ball when up big?!

You must not watch many games, yet alone your own team.

All Pro
    One problem though in my opinion is that we can't stop the run while we can stop the pass and vice versa. When we bring in our heavy package, good teams will pick our secondary apart. When we flood the field with coverage personnel, people run all over us. Now with the emergance of Wilkerson and to an extent Coples (who should take over for DeVito next season) we should solve that problem as our DLine would only really have to rotate the NT who also won't hurt you that much passing situations. The big question is the LB corps but with the age of Pace and BT we can expect changes at OLB and Davis already is waiting in the wings to take over for Scott.

Did you sleep walk through the Jets 5 blowout losses?

34-0
    27-10
    30-9
    28-7
    49-19

To my original point, why would those teams even consider throwing the football in blowout games like that?
    Great point. Its easy--against the God Awful teams, the defense plays great. Against the teams you need to beat to get to the playoffs---woeful.

All Pro
    And again, we can be happy about our pass defense but we could also create a thread about how concerning our run defense is.

Let's just hope the Jets make the necessary changes to not only dominate on defense against bad teams or rookie QBs but also against the upper echelon teams.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Great point. Its easy--against the God Awful teams, the defense plays great. Against the teams you need to beat to get to the playoffs---woeful.
    While I agree to a certain extent, in many of those blowout losses the defense played very well for long stretches but just could not sustain it because the offense did NOTHING. And that means NOTHING.

First NE game - defense played pretty well considering how explosive the NE offense is and they only gave up something around 20 points
    SF game - in the middle of third quarter the game was I think 7-0 or 10-0, Sanchez fumbled at midfield and the storm arose
    Seattle game - Russell Wilson could do almost nothing against the D and the game was tied for a good part until it unraveled late, 0 offensive points by the Jets
    Second NE game - they ran into a perfect storm, D also just didnt play well
    Houston game - Texans scored 23 points and while I think the D didnt play great, there were good enough

Now looking at it, it is not like teams were just running and passing all over us from start to finish in those games. But in the end, even with a TERRIBLE offense, our philosophy and the way we build our team and the expectations - the bottom line is the defense has to play better! It is much to ask for but in the end, that's what Rex wants, that's what we want and what this team needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    And again, we can be happy about our pass defense but we could also create a thread about how concerning our run defense is.

Let's just hope the Jets make the necessary changes to not only dominate on defense against bad teams or rookie QBs but also against the upper echelon teams.
    You don't dominate against the Brady's and Manning's of the world. That's what makes them the Brady's and Manning's of the world. Rex has beaten them both in the playoffs so it's clear they can slow them down.

And the biggest reason by far for our bad run defense has been Pouha's injury. And Kenrick's as well. Pouha however was one of the better run stoppers in the league and this year he's been essentially useless. Great locker room guy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The Jets secondary has not allowed a 100 yard receiving game this season? The Jets defense has something to be happy about.
    Damn! You jynxed them..it will happen tonight

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Tonight's in the bag.

Stay tuned for CJ Spiller in two weeks with the playoffs on the line.

I've been watching this team too long.
    Wouldn't surprise me. Been rooting for these guys since 67.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstern35 View Post
    Is a Pats fan really trying to argue the point that a team won't throw the ball when up big?!

You must not watch many games, let alone your own team.
    ZING!!!!!

The Jets secondary has not allowed a 100 yard receiving game this season? The Jets defense has something to be happy about.
    The opposing team or our own offense?

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Well there goes the game tonight. Thanks Maine!
    Well, somebody had to go and f*ck it all up.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Well, somebody had to go and f*ck it all up.
    Yeah, suppose so. It could just turnout to be a reverse hex.

I think Marsico's earlier scenario is more likely to happen. sh*t the bed against Buffalo and call it a year.

Why would teams that are well ahead want to throw the football?
    You should know being a Pats fan? Hows Gronk injury holding up?

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Its hard not to give up points when your defense is on the field most of the game.

There's no question the defense overall has been getting better. You can call it based on the cupcake schedule or what have you, but this run defense was abysmal earlier in the season. Now, they are really clamping down on the run. IMO, they've done a nice job defending the run recently.

I do believe the defense is getting better. I thought I saw it earlier in the season, in fact, just prior to the Patsy game. Maybe it wasn't such a good time to start talking them up?

The fact still remains, they have been getting better in every major statistical category.

And in regards to those who will attempt to blow off what the Jets defense has done saying they've played chump teams. Well, that isn't the Jets fault. They are playing the teams on their schedule. That's all you can ask for.

BTW, the almighty Patsies have already played all of those cupcake teams. Maybe that contributed to their record?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Or, that teams have had pretty good success running the ball on the Jets, and that has helped keep the receiving yards down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Exactly.

If you're averaging 5 yards a clip running the ball, there's not much need to throw it.
    The rushing yards might have kept the pass yards down, but Rex's pass defenses (opposing QB percentage) with the Jets have been ridiculous: 2009 - 51.7%; 2010 - 50.7; 2011 - 54.2; 2012 - 54.2. All top 5.