Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Heard Chris Johnson has a $9M Payment due five days after the SB

Just Heard Chris Johnson has a $9M Payment due five days after the SB

A would you pay off this season and B if cut would you offer him a one year deal for $5M? I think he could be the start of something special for our offense. Their line is down four starters this year We draft a RG high in the draft sign Otha when healthy and we could have the making of a 2000 yard rusher for Us the good guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    no

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    interesting.

Jets links: New York's defense must focus on Titans running back Chris Johnson

By Charles Curtis, NJ.com
    on December 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    Print
    Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine will try to get the Jets D to shut down Titans running back Chris Johnson Rich Barnes-US PRESSWIRE
    If you go by the numbers, the Jets shouldn't have to worry too much about the Tennessee Titans' offense, which is near the bottom of the league.

But Gang Green is about to face Chris Johnson and his 1,037 yards rushing on the season. According to The Daily News' Kevin Armstrong, he's the focus for defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

"There are a lot of backs that will get bottled up and kind of circle the field, but he'll do that, he'll circle the field and then all of a sudden he'll see an opening down the middle," Pettine told Armstrong. "He'll plant and next thing you know he's 0 to 60 in a blink. We've stressed it to our guys."

Linebacker David Harris knew exactly what to expect out of Johnson, as he told The Star-Ledger's Mike Vorkunov. "He's the fastest running back -- the fastest player in the NFL. We know we have our hands full and we can't allow him to get around the edge and lose containment on him because he'll take advantage if he has a small crease. You got to have 11 guys run to the ball and have to stop the run first," Harris said,.

It's also on the mind of ESPNNewYork's Rich Cimini, who included stopping CJ on his list of what to watch in tonight's Monday night matchup: "Johnson was held to 51 and 44 yards in the last two games, but he remains a home-run threat because of his speed. He needs space to run because he's not the type of back to break tackles."

Here's NJ.com's daily aggregation of Jets news from around the web:

The Star-Ledger's Conor Orr looked closer at the defense that will try to bottle up Johnson tonight. The combinations they could throw at Tennessee could also present a problem for second-year QB Jake Locker. "The goal is to blitz without truly blitzing," Orr wrote. "By rushing a small mix of safeties, linebackers and defensive linemen, the endgame is to use one man to occupy, or at least confuse, multiple blockers. The benefit is still being able to sink seven players into coverage and not be short-handed if a pass gets off."

Orr also spoke with receivers coach Sanjay Lal about the challenges Braylon Edwards will face as he settles back into a rhythm with Mark Sanchez. "[Rex] Ryan is optimistic Edwards will play Monday, though he's not sure how much, given a lingering hamstring issue," Orr wrote. "But the reward, the moment of telepathic understanding between a receiver and a quarterback, was far greater than the risk, which amounted to four late-night cram sessions to teach Edwards a new offense."

He also reported how Lal taught receivers like Mardy Gilyard and Jason Hill very simple game plans when preparing them just days before matchups. "Often times, the receiver will be taught one specific position and, in some cases, 10 to 15 specific plays that they will run on gameday to eliminate confusion. In his second week, the receiver will learn two positions. By the third week, he should be able to grasp the entire play concept," he said.

All League
    Lol ee can't even come close to afford him. He isn't worth the money

If Johnson got cut and he would sign anther big 10+mil a year deal somewhere else. He is well out of our price range. Your talking a guy that had 2000 yards and is still putting up 1000 yard seasons and is young.

I don't see it but he is the type of back the jets need. someone that can actually score on any given play or at least get some huge gains. We desperately need a ground game game breaker style back.

Teams that focus on getting elite running backs certainly fair well in the modern NFL, it's probably the most important position nowadays. We should also think about trading a few first round draft picks for an elite kicker while we're at it.

Veteran
    No one is going to pay $10+ for Chris Johnson after this year. I think he would do very good here since we have a much better o-line and would look to run the ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

considering we need to replace about 11 starters with $23 million of cap room, someone please tell me where we get the money to sign CJ in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    considering we need to replace about 11 starters with $23 million of cap room, someone please tell me where we get the money to sign CJ in 2013.
    That would be a dream signing...Make it happen.... I will chip in a couple bills

He is the type of back we need, not sure we could ever afford him w/o totally screwing the pooch for the future. Our OL ranks 4th in Adjusted Line Yards (this FO stat essentially puts into numbers the effectiveness of the OL as opposed to the RB doing the work), yet we rank 25th and 30th in second level and open field running respectively. This is probably the most definitive sign that our RBs are some of the worst in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    No one is going to pay $10+ for Chris Johnson after this year. I think he would do very good here since we have a much better o-line and would look to run the ball.
    Lynch just signed a 4 year 31 mil deal and McCoy extended his deal getting around 9. Johnson barely played the 1st 4 games this year and right now is averaging over 79 yards per game and 4.7 ypc and is better out of the back field then either. He is a former 2000 yard guy and is a beast when healthy. If his agent takes anything less then 9 mil per year he should be fired. Someone will pay for that kind of production.

Chris Johnson has a small frame and is wearing down.
    His best days of football are in the past and doesn't have quite the freak quickness/speed that he once did + can't find the endzone...

I wouldn't sign him for the money he'd be asking.

Jets Insider VIP
    Id think Powell and Reggie Bush would be a nice combo.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan24 View Post
    Teams that focus on getting elite running backs certainly fair well in the modern NFL, it's probably the most important position nowadays. We should also think about trading a few first round draft picks for an elite kicker while we're at it.
    Would you try to sign Adrian Peterson if he became a free agent? Thought so

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Chris Johnson has a small frame and is wearing down.
    His best days of football are in the past and doesn't have quite the freak quickness/speed that he once did + can't find the endzone...

I wouldn't sign him for the money he'd be asking.
    He is avg 4.7 ypc his best days seem good right now to me.

All Pro
    Really Cause the MVP is about to be a RB this year .

No that was the 1970s.

I hope you were kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post

It's cheaper to draft one.

Between rounds 2-3...maybe the Jets will pick an explosive stud to complement Powell. As for their #1 pick...Jets haven't used it on a RB since Blair Thomas.

For a change...they'll use it for the defense