Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When was the last time we had decent PLAYCALLING???

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool When was the last time we had decent PLAYCALLING???

Late in the game, Jets are moving the ball on the ground. Running to the right side of the line, getting yards at will. Then for some reason, the Jets start passing...and passing...and passing. Result? Two INTs and a fumbled snap.

Happened earlier in the game, too. Jets force Titans to punt and get the ball at around midfield. Jets have momentum. What do they do? Run Tebow out there FOR AN ENTIRE SERIES. FOR NO F*CKING REASON!!!!

Yeah, I get that Sanchez officially sucks, and the o-line and receivers have played poorly all year. But the playcalling has been just as bad. Just like under Hackett. Just under Schotty. Dear God, can we get a competent play caller for this damn team?! Haven't had one since Henning in 2000.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Late in the game, Jets are moving the ball on the ground. Running to the right side of the line, getting yards at will. Then for some reason, the Jets start passing...and passing...and passing. Result? Two INTs and a fumbled snap.

Happened earlier in the game, too. Jets force Titans to punt and get the ball at around midfield. Jets have momentum. What do they do? Run Tebow out there FOR AN ENTIRE SERIES. FOR NO F*CKING REASON!!!!

Yeah, I get that Sanchez officially sucks, and the o-line and receivers have played poorly all year. But the playcalling has been just as bad. Just like under Hackett. Just under Schotty. Dear God, can we get a competent play caller for this damn team?! Haven't had one since Henning in 2000.
    Dan Henning.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Dan Henning.
    Yes.

Dan Henning under Parcells. After that it's been a cacophony of horrible OC after horrible OC with awful QB's.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan Henning.
    Yep.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan Henning.
    This.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan Henning.
    +1

Although Hackett looks like Bill f*cking Walsh when compared to Schitty and Shades.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    When was the last time we had decent PLAYCALLING???
    I've been following this team for 30+ years, and other than maybe a couple of seasons during the Parcells era, I can safely say the answer to your question is: Never.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to say this but I'd take josh McDaniels......

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our fullback had 90 catches in 2000 under henning. He wasnt good at all.

Who was it under parcells? Weiss?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Playcaling was fine this season and even tonight. Sparano's run schemes kept us in the game. Problem is Suckchise F'd up.

Suckchez last pick he had a guy underneath WIDE OPEN and Mangold's botched snap - you want to blame the playcall for that we had 47 seconds and no timeouts?
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 12-18-2012 at 12:35 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    No, its because Richie Anderson was an excellent FB who played 3rd down back terrific. He had 800 yards one season.

Thank you Tanny for doing ZERO to address this need in the off-season. At least our Wildcat QB luvs Jesus.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah..remember a fullback that actually had a chance to catch....who was it sowell or Anderson?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Richie Anderson had to pick up the slack... Keyshawn was in Tampa

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    I hate to say this but I'd take josh McDaniels......

You want the guy who made the decision to draft Tebow in the first round?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Henning was the last good OC we had. That offense was a juggernaut with Vinny still having something in the tank, Keyshawn, Chrebet, Curtis Martin and Richie Anderson with Ward as a vertical threat. We'll probably never have an offense that good again. Too bad they %^&* the bed in Denver and Vinny got hurt in 99. This franchise is cursed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    You want the guy who made the decision to draft Tebow in the first round?
    Not as our gm....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Henning was the last good OC we had. That offense was a juggernaut with Vinny still having something in the tank, Keyshawn, Chrebet, Curtis Martin and Richie Anderson with Ward as a vertical threat. We'll probably never have an offense that good again. Too bad they %^&* the bed in Denver and Vinny got hurt in 99. This franchise is cursed.
    Good OC who knows what he's doing. Big, strong arm atheletic QB.

Wow, what an amazing concept.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

if you were 8 years old in 2000 and didn't watch the games, then STFU. seriously.. you look like an idiot cherry picking stats and claiming that made the OC bad.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Playcaling was fine this season and even tonight. Sparano's run schemes kept us in the game. Problem is Suckchise F'd up.

Suckchez last pick he had a guy underneath WIDE OPEN and Mangold's botched snap - you want to blame the playcall for that we had 47 seconds and no timeouts?
    No, the play calling has NOT been fine this season. You have to have a feel for each game, you have to know WHAT play to call and WHEN to call it.

You said Sparano's run schemes kept us in the game. I agree. But then he got away from it PRECISELY when he needed to stay with it. THAT'S what I'm talking about. If the running game is working, you stick with it, especially since you have the time to do so and ESPECIALLY if you have a mistake-prone QB.

This has been a long time problem for this team. I can't count how many times I've seen the Jets go to shotgun empty backfield on 3 and short. Stupid to do that unless you have a Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers type of QB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    I hate the whole mantra but maybe they really are. Somehow the Colts seamlessly transitioned from one franchise QB to another with Andrew Luck. The Jets haven't found one in 40 years (and even Namath was off an on).

It's a joke. The playcalling routinely questionable but I don't know anymore. I scapegoated Hackett, then Schottenhemier. Is it really Sparano's fault now? His QB is incapable of making reads and hitting receivers?

It used to be Schottenheimer was the common bad variable with different QBs in Pennington, Favre, Sanchez. Now though, Sanchez is the bad variable remaining constant and it's concerning.