Thread: Do we tank the last two games....

Do we tank the last two games....

still going to be mid round draft choice. Rex should announce everyone is playing for their job and everyone should expect a salary cut unless they justify their contract (gosh a novel approach). Unfortuneatly with Tannenbaum still their he doesn't understand how to pay ineptitude.
    This is Woody 's chance to step in and immediately clean house and start the job of replacing the frontt office.Jump on this thread!

You are assuming we can win these games with our mess at the QB position.

While I would not try to lose I would clear the bench and give the younger guys and backups more playing time.

Under no circumstances would I play Sanchez in the last two games. I need to see what Tebow and McElroy have before I bring either guy back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    Under no circumstances would I play Sanchez in the last two games.
    Do you want to tank these games or no?

how do u "tank" games?

rex: ugghh guys, i know ive been giving these super insparational speeches all year, telling you to be men and show your charachter and will to win....but these last 2 games...i am going to need you to really suck big time....let the other team beat up on you a little bit...for the good of the draft...you know how it is...the fans want to pick 13 instead of 16 in april.

or...

rex: ughh guys, we are not trying to win the last 2 games...so we are going to bench all the good players...not the marginal ones...but just the ones that help us win. the rest of you, go out there and play as well as you can iwthout making it look like you are not trying.

simply.......

Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Winning the games would not make a big difference in our draft position.Everyone is trying out for their contract.Sanchez is what he is and we don't need to see anymore.

Veteran
    Winning games wont make a big difference in draft position. However, it is the difference of having Colts and Chargers (2nd place), Titans and Raiders (3rd place) or Jaguars and Chiefs (4th place).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    how do u "tank" games?

rex: ugghh guys, i know ive been giving these super insparational speeches all year, telling you to be men and show your charachter and will to win....but these last 2 games...i am going to need you to really suck big time....let the other team beat up on you a little bit...for the good of the draft...you know how it is...the fans want to pick 13 instead of 16 in april.

or...

rex: ughh guys, we are not trying to win the last 2 games...so we are going to bench all the good players...not the marginal ones...but just the ones that help us win. the rest of you, go out there and play as well as you can iwthout making it look like you are not trying.

Thsi is what I've never been able to understand with all these threads - when does a team EVER choose to tank a game? And who chooses?

Woody - "Rex, I need you to lose the next two games so I can justify firing you".
    Rex - "Sure thing, sir!"

Or ...

Rex - "Tony, I need you to lose the next two games so I can justify firing you, but keeping my own job because the D is still playing well".
    Tony - "Sure thing, sir!"

Or ...

Rex - "Guys, I need you to play poorly these next two games, so we can cut the guys we think are dead wood. The benefit is we also then get higher draft picks to replace you with."
    Team - "Sure thing, coach. Go Jets. The fans deserve better than bums like us"

So how would it actually work? The Jets do not run this team for the benefit of the fans. They run it to make MONEY. The players play to make MONEY. No player is ever going to play poorly, getting himself put out of work in the process, for the greater good of his (former) team.

Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    still going to be mid round draft choice. Rex should announce everyone is playing for their job and everyone should expect a salary cut unless they justify their contract (gosh a novel approach). Unfortuneatly with Tannenbaum still their he doesn't understand how to pay ineptitude.
    This is Woody 's chance to step in and immediately clean house and start the job of replacing the frontt office.Jump on this thread!
    No problemo. Just keep Sanchez as qb. Done.6-10.

Most teams 'tank" games by playing the young Back ups and siting vets who are dinged. And by doing so without really doing so.

These last two games are not going to have any bearing on Rex being kept on that the last 17 games have not.

And while most players continue to try their best to showcase themselves, if your not going to be a FA this year you really don't have much to lose by not performing your best.

There is a natural let down, if your dinged and there is no chance for a playoff you sit.

This morning, announce McElroy as the starter for the last two games. Let's see what he can do, if anything.

Then, make Tebow number two for his final games as a member of the Jets, with Mark inactive. And by inactive I mean send the INT/fumble machine home to CA. His play and defeatist presence has disgraced the bench long enough.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    I think you would have to have a chance to win in order to "tank" games, I think the Jets don't have much say in this, just play like they been playing and they will find a way to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    This morning, announce McElroy as the starter for the last two games. Let's see what he can do, if anything.

Then, make Tebow number two for his final games as a member of the Jets, with Mark inactive. And by inactive I mean send the INT/fumble machine home to CA. His play and defeatist presence has disgraced the bench long enough.

Agreed . McElroy is the choice. Tebow is not a thought for next season so no need to throw him in there. Rex needs to make this announcement quickly and if he doesnt he's punched his train ticket out of here for sure. As it stands I think he's gone. But if he does'nt start McElroy its over!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post

+1000, was just going to post the same... Sanchez should not even be dressed for the last two games... enough already