Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "It's Hard To Watch An NFL Team Struggle With The Most Basic Concepts"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow "It's Hard To Watch An NFL Team Struggle With The Most Basic Concepts"

Try doing it for a few decades.

Tirico pretty much nails it.

/facepalm

http://deadspin.com/5969290/its-hard...-in-three-gifs

Tennessee 14, New York Jets 10: That quote comes courtesy of Mike Tirico, one play before the two minute warning and the Jets, as they have all season, were having a hard time calling plays and getting personnel on the field in time. It sums up the Jets just as aptly as that GIF up there, which is your season anthropomorphized, Jets fans: knocked down almost immediately, and hard. Somehow, against all odds, the team manages to collect itself to get ready to make a run at glory and then, well, you know the rest.

The Jets offensive philosophy can best be described as words that have not yet been dreamed up. I don't know what the **** they're doing out there—they don't know what the **** they're doing out there. One minute Sanchez actually completes a pass to his own man and the next thing you know Tim Tebow is in there doing his bob and weave behind the line of scrimmage. Or there's the false start penalty immediately followed up by a burned timeout because the play clock was running down.

Oh yeah, and the interceptions. The last one, his fourth, came with two minutes to go in the game—plenty of time to, you know, not throw some half-assed hail mary—and for some reason Mark Sanchez threw the ball 30 yards down the middle of the field, off his back foot, to a receiver who was outnumbered at least three-to-one.

Yet, somehow, there was that hope again. The Titans kicked an absolutely brutal 19-yard punt out of their own endzone, giving the Jets excellent field position on the tennessee 25 with just about a minute left. On the very next play Mark Sanchez fumbles the snap and Bilal Powell kicked it as he was shuffling over to pick up a defender and Tennessee recovered. It is actually a remarkable confluence of events when you think about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised we only lost by 4.

mark is , without question, BAD.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just awful. I heard that and could only laugh.

This is the worst offense I could ever remember.

Entire CS needs to go.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

and this is what is mind boggling...we were (-5) in turnovers on the road and still had a shot, two legitimate shots to win the game.

Funny, we could have kicked two field goals in the last two minutes and change and won 16-14

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

If the Titans weren't so awful, it could have been a lot worse.
    How many penalties did they have, 14? And we still couldn't beat them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It really is a miracle we have won 6 games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    and this is what is mind boggling...we were (-5) in turnovers on the road and still had a shot, two legitimate shots to win the game.

Funny, we could have kicked two field goals in the last two minutes and change and won 16-14
    LOL

"1st and goal from the 9 Coach, what should we do?"
    "Send in the FG unit"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I woke up this morning I remembered last night's game and thought I had dreamed it - nothing could in reality be that bad, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The Offense really is offensive..

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tirico was certainly in a mocking mood in the 2nd half last night.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is pretty evident that Sparano is inept at calling plays. I have never seen a team have such trouble just getting the right personnel on the field. By the time they break the huddle and get to the line to make any calls there is always 5 seconds left on the play clock.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to apologize to any Non-Jet or Non-Titan fan who watched this abortion. What a bad game.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    My favorite line from him was after Tennesee's first bad punt:

"A bad kick in a bad game."

LOL

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    As Sanchez trotted off for the final time last night, Gruden summed it up best "This is not a playoff Offense". Which is too bad because it could be a playoff defense. Not elite, mind you, but fairly effective. They aren't good enough to carry a team totally on its shoulders, but if this defense got a moderate amount of help (and I'm talking simply converting for points when the D gives you the ball in good field position, etc.), the defense would be that much more potent.

And there are flaws in every aspect of the offense - for sure. But, if we inserted 80% of the other starting QBs in this league instead of Sanchez, we would see a marked improvement. He's been that bad.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't blame him, really. For any non-Jets or non-Titans fan, that was serious mental abuse and a mockery of professional football. I'm surprised he and Gruden came back to the booth after halftime...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    As Sanchez trotted off for the final time last night, Gruden summed it up best "This is not a playoff Offense". Which is too bad because it could be a playoff defense. Not elite, mind you, but fairly effective. They aren't good enough to carry a team totally on its shoulders, but if this defense got a moderate amount of help (and I'm talking simply converting for points when the D gives you the ball in good field position, etc.), the defense would be that much more potent.

And there are flaws in every aspect of the offense - for sure. But, if we inserted 80% of the other starting QBs in this league instead of Sanchez, we would see a marked improvement. He's been that bad.

It had better be a playoff caliber defense as that is the only part of the team the HC focuses on and that is where we have invested most of our draft picks in recent years... maybe if the attention/focus were balanced the prodcut on the field would be more balanced

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

How many times do you get 2 chances, with the ball in opponents half, to put up the game winning score in the last 2 minutes?

Killer INT at the 5.

Defense steps up, 3 and out

Get a blocked punt, and the ball back deep in opponents half....and still lose.

You can't make this sh*t up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And Tirico is a Jets fan!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    How many times do you get 2 chances, with the ball in opponents half, to put up the game winning score in the last 2 minutes?

Killer INT at the 5.

Defense steps up, 3 and out

Get a blocked punt, and the ball back deep in opponents half....and still lose.

You can't make this sh*t up.
    ... and let's not forget... both of those turnovers were on FIRST DOWN...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTime View Post
    ... and let's not forget... both of those turnovers were on FIRST DOWN...
    The INT is the worst: gets blasted while throwing off his back foot, over the middle into triple coverage.

He makes me want more middle fingers.
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 12-18-2012 at 09:51 AM.