Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woody Johnson's Rolodex

Woody Johnson's Rolodex

With all the calls for us to clean house, there is a fundamental problem here that the organization is going to face if they do that, we literally have no where to turn.

Since parcells was here, the only GM/Football Opearations people in the building have been Tannenbaum (parcells tree) and terry bradway. Clinkscales, while respected in the league, is now with the raiders.

Being that Woody is not a football lifer, the question we need to ask ourselves is where is he going to turn to hire someone to start building this process.

Do we look to marty schottenheimer to be the head of operations and start making calls to find a coach and GM? Is he even a "personnel guy"?

Would mike holmgren really want to be part of this mess?

Then we get to the coaching....is Bill Cowher capable of being coach/GM? Definitley not. He has been away from the game for a long time and would need to go back to his old ties to build a staff along with finding a QB.

Does chip kelly come here from a place like oregon, with no NFL ties, no GM relationship and no QB?

These are incredibly difficult decisions and we have an owner who is really not capable of making them correctly. I dont know how we do it, but woody needs to find someone he trusts, hopefully Neil Glat although he is another business guy and not a football lifer, to get a young GM in here who can start rebuilding this organization from the ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    With all the calls for us to clean house, there is a fundamental problem here that the organization is going to face if they do that, we literally have no where to turn.

Since parcells was here, the only GM/Football Opearations people in the building have been Tannenbaum (parcells tree) and terry bradway. Clinkscales, while respected in the league, is now with the raiders.

Being that Woody is not a football lifer, the question we need to ask ourselves is where is he going to turn to hire someone to start building this process.

Do we look to marty schottenheimer to be the head of operations and start making calls to find a coach and GM? Is he even a "personnel guy"?

Then we get to the coaching....is Bill Cowher capable of being coach/GM? Definitley not. He has been away from the game for a long time and would need to go back to his old ties to build a staff along with finding a QB.

Does chip kelly come here from a place like oregon, with no NFL ties, no GM relationship and no QB?

These are incredibly difficult decisions and we have an owner who is really not capable of making them correctly. I dont know how we do it, but woody needs to find someone he trusts, hopefully Neil Glat although he is another business guy and not a football lifer, to get a young GM in here who can start rebuilding this organization from the ground up.
    I don't disagree, but Holmgren is the answer, he just failed at the same job with the Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I don't disagree, but Holmgren is the answer, he just failed at the same job with the Browns
    The browns have a decent roster and have played every game tough. He inherited a complete mess there and at least seems to have a process.

Haden, Trick, josh gordon, jabaal sheard....all look like good picks

Schluberator & Gadfly
    I'm going to get beatup for this, but right now I think we should keep Rex, fire Sporano and hire Norv Turner as OC once SD cans him. Norv isn't a good HC, but he's a very good OC.

Tanny should be axed, and I'm not sure who we should get to replace him. Maybe a Jalapeno on a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I'm going to get beatup for this, but right now I think we should keep Rex, fire Sporano and hire Norv Turner as OC once SD cans him. Norv isn't a good HC, but he's a very good OC.

Tanny should be axed, and I'm not sure who we should get to replace him. Maybe a Jalapeno on a stick.
    Norv was a good OC a long time ago. Offense has changed, and if you dont have someone that knows the spread/read option offense, then you are going to continue to be behind the times.

Veteran
    I'm all in for a guy like jay Gruden who has done a great job with the bengals offense and Andy dalton.

problem is Woody will probably try to sign Michael Vick for a quick gap stop that will get headlines .

You should get beat up for this.

Wrecks is a great DC. He is a horrible HC. He actually abdicates his postion. He is still a DC, this time with no boss.

Last night at his post-game PC, after losing to the lowly Titans with the playoffs on the line, and a QB with 5 turnovers, he starts with comments about the defense giving up 2 runs.

WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Clueless.

Banned

Not going to beat you up at all for this. I agree with you.

As far as a GM is concerned, I'd be OK with bringing in Marty Schottenheimer as President of Football Operations, and promoting Scott Cohen to GM. It's enough of a shakeup without completely blowing everything up.

All Pro

Marty might not feel too good about what happened with his son and I also don't want any chance of his son coming back here, especially as a HC. I don't want Kelly. We don't need another college experiment coming in here and wastin the next 3 or 4 years and you are right about Cowher.

As for Holmgren, I don't care if he wants to be a part of this. I don't want him to be a part of any of it. Here is a guy who was horrible as a GM in Seattle and Cleveland. The Seattle team started winning when he relinquished the GM position. He is a guy that runs to organizations and leaves after a few years like Parcells yet he doesn't have half the resume of Parcells and it is not worth it. Brandon Weeden? Really?

All Pro

Bill Polian has been all over NY radio the past month or so and been in the NY area lately. One has to wonder why.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post

Wrecks is a great DC. He is a horrible HC. He actually abdicates his postion. He is still a DC, this time with no boss.

Last night at his post-game PC, after losing to the lowly Titans with the playoffs on the line, and a QB with 5 turnovers, he starts with comments about the defense giving up 2 runs.

Clueless.
    Rex is a HC in name only. He LOVES defense, but appears to let whoever is OC run that side of the ball, thus relying heavily on them.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Bill Polian has been all over NY radio the past month or so and been in the NY area lately. One has to wonder why.
    OOOooooo... I did not know that. Interesting.

All Pro
    Rex is a HC in name only. He LOVES defense, but appears to let whoever is OC run that side of the ball, thus relying heavily on them.
    So maybe Norv as the OC, where he can run it as he wishes, would work with Rex.

Jets Insider VIP
    The problem is not that Woody has no one to turn to, it is that he doesn't know who to turn to. He has no idea what he's doing and worse, he doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Banned
    Marty might not feel too good about what happened with his son and I also don't want any chance of his son coming back here, especially as a HC. I don't want Kelly. We don't need another college experiment coming in here and wastin the next 3 or 4 years and you are right about Cowher.
    The Jets actually did right by Schotty. They let him interview for head coaching gigs before allowing him to to save face by "resigning."

If they had just sh!t-canned him right after the season ended, I'd agree with you. But I think they ended up parting on good terms.

As for Holmgren, I don't care if he wants to be a part of this. I don't want him to be a part of any of it. Here is a guy who was horrible as a GM in Seattle and Cleveland. The Seattle team started winning when he relinquished the GM position. He is a guy that runs to organizations and leaves after a few years like Parcells yet he doesn't have half the resume of Parcells and it is not worth it. Brandon Weeden? Really?
    I totally agree. Holmgren was awful when making personnel decisions in Seattle, and even worse in Cleveland. Excellent coach, terrible personnel guy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I wish - but current rumours have him going to KC.

The jets should go after one of the assistant GMs from either the Steelers or the Giants.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post

Clueless.
    +1

Mike stays.
    Mark stays.
    Rex goes.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

As Brau suggested, Scott Cohen could easily be the guy to take over. Of course, that would mean Woody would be absolutely petrified to go outside the organization and has no means to find a competent football guy. But, I'm fairly sure that whether he calls a few of his fellow owners or leans on Glat or someone else in the organization, the Jets have the ability to conduct a search for a GM position if that's what they want to do.

I don't give Woody a helluva lot of credit, but I'm sure he could at least get a guy like Bill Polian, Gil Brandt or some other older football guy to lead the search, if need be.

But, all things being equal, hiring Cohen and re-assigning Tanny to more of the business side of things has as good a chance of happening as anything. Glat has been around the NFL for 15 years. I presume that Woody would huddle with him as far as how to make a decision on Tanny.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    The jets should go after one of the assistant GMs from either the Steelers or the Giants.
    Why? you think you become a good GM by osmosis?

Woody needs to get a Guy like Marty, Accorsi, Polian a long time football guy to head the ship. Not day to day crap like coaching. But a face and someone to help Woody straighten out the team. let them find a GM, a personnel dept and a coaching staff.

Eric DaCosta, Nick Caserio, Jason Licht, David Caldwell, Scot McCloughan are the guys who have the personnel succeess to take on the GM Role.

Mike Holmgreen- no, Tom Heckert is the guy who drafts for the Browns.