Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early, but why the hell not? Jets GM candidates thread

All League

Early, but why the hell not? Jets GM candidates thread

Season isn't over but it's clear as day that Tannenbaum is out after this year's culmination of poor performance.

The thread is simple. Post a candidate for the next Jets General Manager, a slightly detailed description as to why, and any evidence pointing to why this person would be an improvement over the current FO

Contribution:

Name: Matt Russell
    Team: Denver Broncos
    Position: Head Director of Player Personnel
    Description:

Matt Russell begins his fourth season with the Denver Broncos in 2012 as the club’s director of player personnel, a position he was named to on Jan. 17, 2012. A former All-American and Butkus Award winner (nation’s best linebacker) at the University of Colorado, Russell joined the Broncos after scouting for seven seasons in the NFL with Philadelphia (2006-08) and New England (2001, ‘03-05).

Russell oversees the day-to-day operations of the pro personnel and college scouting departments.

As director of college scouting, Russell spent the last three seasons responsible for leading the Broncos’ college scouting efforts. He also oversaw the club’s eight-person college scouting staff.
    Notable acquisitions:

Peyton Manning- Intriqual part of assessing Manning's health before the team signed him
    Ryan Clady- One of the best Left tackles in the league
    Eddie Royal- Starting WR
    Demaryius Thomas- Starting WR
    Zane Beadles- Starting LG
    J.D. Walton- Starting C
    Eric Decker- Starting WR
    Von Miller- beast
    Orlando Franklin- Starting RT
    Raheem Moore- Starting FS
    Dereck Wolfe- Starting DE

All Pro
    Eddie Royal? Get him off that list.

Bill Polian:

Built the late '80s/early '90s Bills that repeatedly dominated the AFC but lost in the Super Bowl multiple times.

Built the Carolina Panthers into a team that made it to the NFC Championship in its second year of existence.

Drafted Peyton Manning, winning 1 Super Bowl from 1998-2011 but consistently dominating the AFC South.

Strengths:

Polian is an excellent drafting GM. Especially regarding QB talent.

Weaknesses:

Very good at losing Conference Championship games and Super Bowls.
    Retread.
    Old.
    Probably won't work for Woody Johnson.

Kevin Abrams:

Assistant GM of the Giants.

Can't really comment on strengths and weaknesses. Only will say that he worked under both Accorsi and Reese, the most successful GM's in recent history if you go by SB Titles not followed by a Spygate Asterisk.

A very large constituency of the Young > Parcells > Accorsi > Reese > Abrams chain have been very good at constructing NFL teams with the exceptions of course being Terry Bradway and Mike Tannenbaum.

No for Polian. He is too old. Also he went to sleep after picking Manning. Never bothered to groom a successor to Peyton at QB. When he went down, the lack of talent across the team was evident.

I'd go with the asst GM's of Ravens, Giants or Packers. All three are solid organizations. Ravens guy I'd prioritize #1.

Tom Gamble - current director of player personnel with the Niners.

Synopsis: Tom Gamble is in his 24th NFL season and his seventh year with the 49ers. On February 4, 2011, Gamble was promoted to Director of Player Personnel after having served as the Director of Pro Personnel for the previous seven years in San Francisco.

Gamble’s extensive NFL resume includes work in both college and pro scouting, contract negotiations, and a stint in the coaching ranks.

This guy is worth a look, imo. The Niners drafted extremely well, and built a powerhouse on both sides of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Tom Gamble - current director of player personnel with the Niners.

Synopsis: Tom Gamble is in his 24th NFL season and his seventh year with the 49ers. On February 4, 2011, Gamble was promoted to Director of Player Personnel after having served as the Director of Pro Personnel for the previous seven years in San Francisco.

Gamble’s extensive NFL resume includes work in both college and pro scouting, contract negotiations, and a stint in the coaching ranks.

This guy is worth a look, imo. The Niners drafted extremely well, and built a powerhouse on both sides of the ball.
    Look, I like their D, but for all of Singletary's faults, he knew both Bowman and Willis were monsters.

Just because the Niners sucked for so long does not in any way, shape, or form excuse any personnel person they have from drafting Alex Smith with the #1 overall pick ahead of future Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers.

Lest we forget that Harbaugh fixed Smith, redesigned an EXTREMELY conservative "Ground and Pound" offensive gameplan for Smith, then quickly realized that the guy was not going to win a Super bowl and put a guy with no track record WHO IS HIS GUY to start despite Smith's stats being excellent.

There are a few busts in there, which allowed this team to stink for long enough to get picks to replace those busts.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Look, I like their D, but for all of Singletary's faults, he knew both Bowman and Willis were monsters.

Just because the Niners sucked for so long does not in any way, shape, or form excuse any personnel person they have from drafting Alex Smith with the #1 overall pick ahead of future Hall of Famer Aaron Rodgers.

Lest we forget that Harbaugh fixed Smith, redesigned an EXTREMELY conservative "Ground and Pound" offensive gameplan for Smith, then quickly realized that the guy was not going to win a Super bowl and put a guy with no track record WHO IS HIS GUY to start despite Smith's stats being excellent.

There are a few busts in there, which allowed this team to stink for long enough to get picks to replace those busts.
    You do realize that drafting Smith over Rodgers was heavily influenced by Mike McCarthy (Rodgers' current head coach) when he was the OC in SanFran.

All League
    You do realize that drafting Smith over Rodgers was heavily influenced by Mike McCarthy (Rodgers' current head coach) when he was the OC in SanFran.
    He still had a say in it, which IMO is a mark on his record

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    He still had a say in it, which IMO is a mark on his record
    Kaeparnick looks pretty decent thus far. I'm sure he had a say in that too.

You guys are pigeon-holing here. Take a look at the entire roster for the Niners, and the current contracts of their core players. They're going to be good for the foreseeable future.

Kaeparnick looks pretty decent thus far. I'm sure he had a say in that too.

You guys are pigeon-holing here. Take a look at the entire roster for the Niners, and the current contracts of their core players. They're going to be good for the foreseeable future.
    You are ignoring how long the Niners sucked for. Far longer than is necessary.

Of course the roster is stacked now.

We're talking about a 2-3 year turnaround here, since the defense isn't that awful and the O-line still has the best center in football.

You are ignoring how long the Niners sucked for. Far longer than is necessary.

Of course the roster is stacked now.

We're talking about a 2-3 year turnaround here, since the defense isn't that awful and the O-line still has the best center in football.
    we have no franchise QB, our oline needs an upgrade, our LBs are garbage, we need a TE (receiving and blocking), and you've seen what our WR corps looks like.

If you think this will take 2-3 years, I have a bridge to sell you.

We're in full rebuild mode.

we have no franchise QB, our oline needs an upgrade, our LBs are garbage, we need a TE (receiving and blocking), and you've seen what our WR corps looks like.

If you think this will take 2-3 years, I have a bridge to sell you.

We're in full rebuild mode.
    What?

2-3 years if they get a decent QB. A full rebuild by a good GM takes 2-3 years. It does not require 4-5 years.

In 2000 Parcells had a bunch of first rounders and drafted well. That's what needs to happen.

The fact that he (and the Giants for that matter) stress QB play and D-line play should tell you something.

What?

2-3 years if they get a decent QB. A full rebuild by a good GM takes 2-3 years. It does not require 4-5 years.

In 2000 Parcells had a bunch of first rounders and drafted well. That's what needs to happen.

The fact that he (and the Giants for that matter) stress QB play and D-line play should tell you something.
    No sh!t.

that's why i suggested Gamble. The Niners' drafts have been stellar (outside of A.Smith).

Their oline and the majority of the defense have been built through the draft

All League
    Was just reading this...and I also like gamble after this article.
    THE NEXT NFL GENERAL MANAGERS
    By Adam Caplan
    November 26, 2012

At this time of the year, I rarely go a few days without being asked about potential general manager candidates. And if you’re following me on Twitter or have heard me in any recent radio interviews, you might have caught some of the names I’ve mentioned. But because I’m constantly having conversations with NFL executives over the course of the season, that list expands or gets reduced by the information I gather by the week.

With only five weeks left in the regular season, it’s a good time to take an extended look at the best candidates for potential general manger openings, which should start to open up in early January. Heck, one already opened up last month.

In order to get an idea of who the best candidates are, I asked two current NFL general managers, one former NFL general manager, three personnel executives, and three prominent NFL player agents who they thought should be on the list. And I asked each guy to remove friendships, the best they could, and give me their list of the top-five most qualified names.

Here’s the list broken down by the ones most likely to get jobs for 2013 and executives likely to get strong consideration in the future:

Tom Gamble/San Francisco 49ers/Director of Player Personnel: In my 14 years of covering the NFL, I don’t recall getting as many strong comments about a potential GM candidate from high-ranking personnel executives and NFL player agents as I’ve received about Gamble in doing research for this piece. In fact, one NFL GM said my list should start with Gamble for the very fact that he’s about as well-rounded of a candidate as you’ll find.

And when you examine Gamble’s background, you can understand why.

He got started in the NFL at a very young age -- literally right out of college -- with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. His father, Harry, was the president of the team at that time. And the younger Gamble was around football growing up. His father was a long-time coach (pro and college) and then moved on to become an NFL executive late in his career.

Like his father, Tom Gamble is a rarity in NFL scouting departments these days: He not only has extensive pro and college scouting experience, he has experience with contract negations and the salary cap, and even has coaching experience (defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets for two seasons: 1995-1996) on the NFL side. While Gamble was promoted to his current role nearly two years ago, other teams have also been interested in him in recent years (St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders on more than one occasion).

Now in his 25th NFL season, Gamble has worked for five teams over that time period and has touched just about every possible aspect on the personnel side. He has helped build 10 playoff teams (four with the Eagles, five with the Indianapolis Colts, and one with the 49ers—and very likely another one this season).

Before taking a job with the 49ers back in 2005, Gamble worked for seven seasons as a college scout under former Colts GM Bill Polian, who is widely recognized as one of the best personnel evaluators in NFL history.

“He’s got a complete grounding in the game. He grew up in the game,” Polian explained to me recently about Gamble. “This is exceedingly important when you consider there are a lot of issues that you have to deal with when becoming a general manager that will come up with a team. You’re at a big disadvantage if you don’t have this experience in dealing with everything. That’s why non-football people have a harder time succeeding. Because Tom has so much experience and grew up around the game with his dad, he’s going to be more prepared than most. That’s a huge advantage.”

And it’s that extensive experience which should help Gamble land a GM job for next season.

Eric DeCosta/Baltimore Ravens/Assistant General Manager: The veteran personnel evaluator received his latest promotion in May of this year. DeCosta turned down several interviews with other teams earlier this year because it’s a well-known fact that he’ll eventually take over the entire football operations once (GM and Executive VP) Ozzie Newsome retires. What makes DeCosta one of the strongest personnel executives is due to his extensive pro and college scouting background, which spans over 16 years. And he has worked alongside of Newsome for many seasons. It also doesn’t hurt that DeCosta has been part of one of the NFL’s most successful scouting departments in regard to the NFL Draft for many years.

Marc Ross/New York Giants/Director of College Scouting: Ross joined the Giants in his current role in 2007. He got started as a college scout back in 1997 with the Philadelphia Eagles and was promoted to team’s college scouting director in 2000, at the age of just 27. And after working as a college scout for the Buffalo Bills after leaving the Eagles, he moved up the ladder again with the Giants. As one former NFL executive who worked with him for many years told me, Ross is one of the most organized and forthright people he’s come across in his years in the league. Ross, over the past few years, has interviewed GM jobs with the Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts, and Seattle Seahawks. And it’s widely believed that he’ll get an interview for the vacant Carolina Panthers GM opening since former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi is advising the team in their GM search as a consultant.

Steve Keim/Arizona Cardinals/Vice President of Player Personnel: Keim, who started with the Cardinals in 1999, was promoted to his current role earlier this year after the NFL Draft. He essentially oversees both of the pro and college scouting departments. And Keim, who mostly had scouting experience for several years on the college side, got more involved on the pro side five years ago. One high-level NFC executive with another team said that he expects Keim to get a GM job over the next few years based on his extensive experience in player evaluations. It’s worth noting that Keim interviewed for the Rams GM job earlier this year.

David Caldwell/Director of Player Personnel/Atlanta Falcons: Caldwell, who was promoted to his new role earlier this year where he will oversee the college and pro scouting departments, also interviewed for the Indianapolis Colts GM job earlier this year, which eventually went to Ryan Grigson. While most if not all of his scouting experience came from the college side prior to this season, Caldwell’s name has been brought up to me on several occasions over the past few year as one of the top GM candidates based on his outstanding eye for talent and solid organizational skills. In fact, one current NFL GM said he would put him in the top-5 of best candidates available.

George Paton/Assistant General Manager/Minnesota Vikings: Paton was promoted to his current role earlier this year after receiving strong interest from the St. Louis Rams for their vacant GM job, which eventually went to Les Snead. While most of his scouting experience is from the pro side, he’ll get additional experience on the college going forward based on his new role, which firmly cements him as the No.2 man in the team’s personnel department.

Jason Licht/Arizona Cardinals/Director of Player Personnel: Licht is a rarity these days: He has extensive scouting experience on the pro and college levels from working with five teams over a 12-year period. Plus, he has coaching experience on the NFL level (1996 for the Dolphins as an offensive assistant/quality control coach) albeit brief. Licht also interviewed for the Chicago Bears GM job earlier this year, which eventually went to Phil Emery. In fact, Licht was the runner-up for the job.

Others who have been mentioned as possible GMs for future seasons

Brian Gaine/Miami Dolphins/Assistant General Manager: Gaine, now in his 15th year in the NFL and fifth with the Dolphins, was promoted to his current role with the team back in June of this year. While his scouting background mainly has come from the pro side, the veteran personnel evaluator ramped up his evaluations of college players in recent years based on his recent promotions. His name has come up a bit in conversations over the last few years with various NFL executives as a future GM. And he interviewed for the Rams GM job earlier this year.

Tom Telesco/Indianapolis Colts/Vice President of Football Operations: He was promoted to his current role earlier this year and has spent 14 years with the Colts, which puts him second in command in the personnel department. And Telesco has extensive pro and college scouting experience going back nearly 17 years. One personnel source who worked with him in the past said he could definitely see Telesco becoming a GM in the future based in his solid scouting and organizational skills.

Doug Whaley/Buffalo Bills/Assistant General Manager+Director of Pro Personnel: Because of his dual role he received when he joined the Bills in 2010, Whaley is basically second in command on the personnel side for the Bills. And he has plenty of experience with pro and college scouting (with the Bills, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Seattle Seahawks), which is a major plus for any prospective general manager candidate. While it’s assumed that he’ll eventually replace GM Buddy Nix when Nix decides to retire, it still wouldn’t be surprising to see other teams show interest in Whaley going forward.

Tag Ribary/Seattle Seahawks/Director of Pro Personnel: Ribary was promoted to his current role two years after working with the Seahawks in various capacities on the pro scouting side. He also had pro scouting experience with the Washington Redskins and Carolina Panthers. While he doesn’t have extensive college scouting background that some other candidates have, Ribary’s long tenure spanning over two decades in the NFL makes him a well-known and qualified candidate.

Chris Ballard/Director of Pro Scouting/Chicago Bears: One other NFC team, according to a source, wanted to interview him for a personnel job earlier this year, but the Bears denied that team permission to talk to him, which shows how highly the Bears think of him. And Ballard, who had college coaching experience for many years before joining the Bears 12 years ago, got promoted to his current role back in June. Prior to his promotion, Ballard worked as a college scout, but he oversees the pro scouting side these days, so he now has exposure to all facets of NFL scouting.

Matt Russell/Denver Broncos/Director of Player Personnel: The veteran talent evaluator has 12 years of extensive scouting work with the Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots, and Broncos. And Russell has widely been given credit for discovering QB Matt Cassel back during his time with the Patriots. Russell’s scouting background was on the college side prior to this season, but his latest promotion from earlier this year should help him get a stronger handle on the pro side.

Scott Cohen/Assistant General Manager/New York Jets: The veteran personnel evaluator began his 21st season in the NFL earlier this year. Cohen has extensive pro and college scouting experience over his 20+ seasons in the league with the Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Washington Redskins. His experience from scouting pro and college levels as well as being exposed to contract negotiations over the years should help him garner attention from teams looking for a general manager going forward.

Alonzo Highsmith/Senior Personnel Executive/Green Bay Packers: The former NFL running back joined the Packers as a college scout in 1999. He was targeted at least twice by other teams in recent years for upper level management jobs (non-GM role), but the Packers blocked him from interviewing, which is obviously an indication how strongly they want to keep him. And the Packers, recognizing his solid player evaluation skills, promoted him to his current role earlier this year. Highsmith, who has been largely recognized for discovering CB Tramon Williams, won a scouting award in recent years.
    Last edited by TokyoJetsFan; 12-18-2012 at 03:31 PM.

No sh!t.

that's why i suggested Gamble. The Niners' drafts have been stellar (outside of A.Smith).

Their oline and the majority of the defense have been built through the draft
    A lot easier to draft too when you sucked for so many years.

QB is the most important position. Misdrafting that single position will have you losing far longer than you need to.

The fact that Rodgers is a probable hall of famer barring injury makes this all the worse.

The fact that Smith played for Urban Meyer in an option offense at UTAH, where he ended up AFTER BEING REGGIE BUSH'S starting QB at Mission Viejo (aka, you looked DAMN GOOD) should have been enough. It should have raised every red flag.

That was a braindead poor pick. Rodgers had a ++++ arm at the combine, Smith had "mobility." You need to REALLY understand how bad that pick was.

And if he had a say in hiring Singletary, well, that right there, no matter how great the Niners roster is now, is inarguably a worse job than was done by Young, Accorsi, or Reese, who if you haven't realized win Super Bowls regularly.

Until the Giants actually suffer from mediocrity for an extended period, because, remember, Fassell did make it to a Super Bowl with a Sober and less than awesome Kerry Collins, I don't see why you would search any further than the Timex Performance Center. Whether it is Ross or Abrams. Either way, Woody needs to hang out with John Mara a lot more and learn how to run a football team.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 12-18-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Promote Scott Cohen or Terry Bradway.

What?

Agreed - the modern NFL rebuild takes 2 to 3 years. And the Jets already have some good pieces on DL and OL, two very important parts.

What's needed: a QB that's not awful, a few offensive skill players, an OLB that can get some sacks. That would add up to a huge improvement for the Jets.

QB is the most important position. Misdrafting that single position will have you losing far longer than you need to.

The fact that Rodgers is a probable hall of famer barring injury makes this all the worse.

The fact that Smith played for Urban Meyer in an option offense at UTAH, where he ended up AFTER BEING REGGIE BUSH'S starting QB at Mission Viejo (aka, you looked DAMN GOOD) should have been enough. It should have raised every red flag.

That was a braindead poor pick. Rodgers had a ++++ arm at the combine, Smith had "mobility." You need to REALLY understand how bad that pick was.

And if he had a say in hiring Singletary, well, that right there, no matter how great the Niners roster is now, is inarguably a worse job than was done by Young, Accorsi, or Reese, who if you haven't realized win Super Bowls regularly.
    dude, he put scouting reports together back in the Singletary days. I'm pretty sure he didn't have any say in the hirings/firings back then.

Your argument is getting weaker by the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post

Before taking a job with the 49ers back in 2005, Gamble worked for seven seasons as a college scout under former Colts GM Bill Polian, who is widely recognized as one of the best personnel evaluators in NFL history.
    This crap about Polian being some personnel God is countered by the number of times he lost Super Bowls and effectively left Peyton as the only weapon on the Colts, as evinced last season, for his entire career.

Peyton was nearly Marino 2.0 if it wasn't for Polian stepping in **** with Bob Sanders.

Those Colts teams ALWAYS had terrible defensive personnel aside from Freeney. And I would wager to say that the running backs after Edge were all piss-poor.

I mean it reminded me so much of Marino in Miami that it was scary.

A QB will win you a championship unless your defense is so totally horrid that it's impossible. See Brees, Drew, now if you are interested.

Here's my thoughts on Polian:

The Good Ole Boys nature of the NFL's front office and management makes him look good since positions like this are based so much more on who you blow than what you know. How the hell do you think Matt Millen ran Detroit for all that time?

As such, the amazing concept of purposefully as a GM supressing talent levels on a roster or having the good fortune of being hired by the team with the first pick when a guy with the last name "Manning" is coming out can effectively be done by anybody with a brain.

If your franchise is classy, then you will, even with the 4th pick, end up with your guy (like Eli) since Archie strongarmed AJ Smith into making the move with the Giants.

As such, I'd rank Young, Accorsi, and possibly even Reese ahead of Polian. They already have far more titles than he does.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 12-18-2012 at 03:36 PM.