Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early, but why the hell not? Jets GM candidates thread

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    dude, he put scouting reports together back in the Singletary days. I'm pretty sure he didn't have any say in the hirings/firings back then.

Your argument is getting weaker by the post.
    So he scouted both Smith and Rodgers?

I think you are convincing EVERYBODY that he would a be a terrible acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    So he scouted both Smith and Rodgers?

I think you are convincing EVERYBODY that he would a be a terrible acquisition.
    perhaps, if EVERYBODY else were close-minded retards.

You do realize that A.Smith had a different playbook to learn each of his first 4 seasons right? He also got thrown into the fire in his rookie year, while Rodgers sat on his thumb learning the position from the sideline (something that Sanchez should've done too).

The point being, there are other reasons that factor into Alex Smith's poor development. Saying that he stinks and blaming the scouting reports is completely asinine.

OH SH!T

WE SHOULD BLAME JOEY CLINKSCALES FOR SANCHEZ'S DEMISE. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

/PMarsico9

perhaps, if EVERYBODY else were close-minded retards.

You do realize that A.Smith had a different playbook to learn each of his first 4 seasons right? He also got thrown into the fire in his rookie year, while Rodgers sat on his thumb learning the position from the sideline (something that Sanchez should've done too).

The point being, there are other reasons that factor into Alex Smith's poor development. Saying that he stinks and blaming the scouting reports is completely asinine.
    Rodgers is bigger, has a stronger arm, is more mobile, and obviously has a much better temperament.

I'm saying the metrics themselves indicate that you are shortchanging how awful that pick was to push your guy on the forums.

Imagine Leaf was picked ahead of Peyton. Well this is worse than that.

Rodgers has an MVP, a Super Bowl MVP, and a Super Bowl MVP and he's statistically miles ahead of PEYTON MANNING after this many years starting in Peyton's career.

Just stop arguing this, it's undeniably one of the worst picks in NFL history and you should feel bad for even bringing this guy up. Anybody who had a hand in that pick shouldn't be getting paid to have anything to do with pro football.

Alex Smith was drafted in 2005.

Not interviewing a GM candidate because of something he MIGHT'VE played a small part in 7 years ago is one the of the dumbest things i've ever read.

It's a good thing the Patriots didn't see Belichick's body of work with Cleveland, he never would've been hired.

Rodgers is bigger, has a stronger arm, is more mobile, and obviously has a much better temperament.

I'm saying the metrics themselves indicate that you are shortchanging how awful that pick was to push your guy on the forums.

Rodgers has an MVP, a Super Bowl MVP, and a Super Bowl MVP and he's statistically miles ahead of PEYTON MANNING after this many years starting in Peyton's career.

Just stop arguing this, it's undeniably one of the worst picks in NFL history and you should feel bad for even bringing this guy up. Anybody who had a hand in that pick shouldn't be getting paid to have anything to do with pro football.
    they should just fold the Niners franchise then.

I'm surprised you're still a Jets fan after we selected Vernon Gholston.

No offense, but you really don't know football.

OH SH!T

WE SHOULD BLAME JOEY CLINKSCALES FOR SANCHEZ'S DEMISE. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

/PMarsico9
    Maybe we could perform a seance and Dick Steinberg could pull Boomer out of retirement, eh?

they should just fold the Niners franchise then.

I'm surprised you're still a Jets fan after we selected Vernon Gholston.

No offense, but you really don't know football.
    I don't know football despite you sitting there suggesting the Jets pry away a guy who was part of the scouting department that ranked Alex Smith ahead of Aaron Rodgers?

Alex Smith was drafted in 2005.

Not interviewing a GM candidate because of something he MIGHT'VE played a small part in 7 years ago is one the of the dumbest things i've ever read.

It's a good thing the Patriots didn't see Belichick's body of work with Cleveland, he never would've been hired.
    Belichick was headed nowhere until Mo ruptured Bledsoe's spleen.

Belichick also was caught cheating and hasn't won a title since and it's not like the AFC East has been rife with tough opponents during his entire tenure outside of random Jets teams.

You do know that Aaron Rodgers wasnt the same QB he is now. At the time they said he lacked mobility, plus he didn't have the accuracy that he has now when he was in college.

He was drafted in the perfect situation in Gb where he got to sit for a couple years and learn from Favre, while GB helped work on his mechanics.

If SF drafted him with the 1st pick, you wouldnt be seeing the Aaron Rodgers you see today

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    You do know that Aaron Rodgers wasnt the same QB he is now. At the time they said he lacked mobility, plus he didn't have the accuracy that he has now when he was in college.

He was drafted in the perfect situation in Gb where he got to sit for a couple years and learn from Favre, while GB helped work on his mechanics.

If SF drafted him with the 1st pick, you wouldnt be seeing the Aaron Rodgers you see today
    So Aaron Rodgers didn't have a bigger arm, wasn't physically larger, and somehow ran a slower 40 and shuttle than Smith did, but now it's all way better than it was.

No, that's called bad scouting, guy.

So Aaron Rodgers didn't have a bigger arm, wasn't physically larger, and somehow ran a slower 40 and shuttle than Smith did, but now it's all way better than it was.

No, that's called bad scouting, guy.
    22 other teams passed on Rodgers too.

Bad scouting must be the new AIDS.

The Front offices are filled with nepotism and horse some serious cronyism.

The miss on Rodgers seems pretty much swept under the rug largely due to that.

There were 22 other teams that may or may not have needed a QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm shocked it took your 3 pages of back and forth to bring this up.. Wasn't Rodgers drafted 24th? There was a clear perceived gap between him and Smith. This wasn't a Leaf/Manning situation where a lot of people thought 'flip a coin, they'll both be great!'. Rodgers wasn't a top prospect coming out of college, and no way was SF going to spend the top pick of the draft on him.

But enough about QBs - SF's roster is solid, from top to bottom, and have the type of team Rex Ryan wishes he had in 2009 and 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I'm shocked it took your 3 pages of back and forth to bring this up.. Wasn't Rodgers drafted 24th? There was a clear perceived gap between him and Smith. This wasn't a Leaf/Manning situation where a lot of people thought 'flip a coin, they'll both be great!'. Rodgers wasn't a top prospect coming out of college, and no way was SF going to spend the top pick of the draft on him.

But enough about QBs - SF's roster is solid, from top to bottom, and have the type of team Rex Ryan wishes he had in 2009 and 2010.
    The A.Smith argument was moot.

It absolutely has no correlation to the potential competency of Tom Gamble. Anybody with some semblance of football knowledge should derive the same conclusion.

I enjoyed watching PMarsico play with his ball of yarn.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post

Rodgers was drafted lower than his physical metrics said he should have been.

Last I checked every team doesn't need a new QB every season.

It was common knowledge Rodgers arm was better, he was slightly more athletic and he scored 1 less on the wonderlic than smith.

You can draw your own conclusions, but Alex Smith is still a bust. Even if he is passable compared to what many consider decent QB play today.

The A.Smith argument was moot.

It absolutely has no correlation to the potential competency of Tom Gamble. Anybody with some semblance of football knowledge should derive the same conclusion.

I enjoyed watching PMarsico play with his ball of yarn.
    Sure thing buddy. And when Tommy Rees is drafted ahead of Manziel in two years by this clown I'll be waiting here to tell you I told you so.

Kevin Abrams:

Assistant GM of the Giants.

Can't really comment on strengths and weaknesses. Only will say that he worked under both Accorsi and Reese, the most successful GM's in recent history if you go by SB Titles not followed by a Spygate Asterisk.

A very large constituency of the Young > Parcells > Accorsi > Reese > Abrams chain have been very good at constructing NFL teams with the exceptions of course being Terry Bradway and Mike Tannenbaum.
    Accorsi hired Abrams to do contracts. He was the CAP analyst. Then an Assistant GM under Reese. Too much of a Tanny type background. Don't want to see Jets going in that direction again.

If Woody wants to see Rex stay as HC, and I have a feeling he does...then maybe Ravens Assistant GM Eric DeCosta is the guy. He and Rex might be able to work together. DeCosta has played a significant role in the Ravens scouting and draft process for many years. And he may have to wait until Ozzie Newsome croaks, before he ever gets his chance there. So he's worth giving a call.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Accorsi hired Abrams to do contracts. He was the CAP analyst. Then an Assistant GM under Reese. Too much of a Tanny type background. Don't want to see Jets going in that direction again.

If Woody wants to see Rex stay as HC, and I have a feeling he does...then maybe Ravens Assistant GM Eric DeCosta is the guy. He and Rex might be able to work together. DeCosta has played a significant role in the Ravens scouting and draft process for many years. And he may have to wait until Ozzie Newsome croaks, before he ever gets his chance there. So he's worth giving a call.

I would go after Ross of the NYG. He is their head college scout. If Woody is inclined to keep Rex, and after the last month, I would lean towards him not keeping him, but if he didCohen will be promoted.

No sh!t.

that's why i suggested Gamble. The Niners' drafts have been stellar (outside of A.Smith).

Their oline and the majority of the defense have been built through the draft
    Then why Gamble who was a pro personnel guy during the years that the team drafted well. Scot McCloughan was in charge of the drafts from 2005 thru 2009
    when this roster of SF players were assembled. The only time he spent money on an outside player was justin smith. A home run