Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Early, but why the hell not? Jets GM candidates thread

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    DeCosta. Was part of the brain trust that did not hire Rex when they hired Harbaugh. Plus I doubt the Jets job would be that attractive for him to leave Balt.

I would go after Ross of the NYG. He is their head college scout. If Woody is inclined to keep Rex, and after the last month, I would lean towards him not keeping him, but if he didCohen will be promoted.
    Very true. I don't know how sure we are that Rex is staying here. If it keeps up from a good GM and coach I would be very upset

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    DeCosta. Was part of the brain trust that did not hire Rex when they hired Harbaugh. Plus I doubt the Jets job would be that attractive for him to leave Balt.

I would go after Ross of the NYG. He is their head college scout. If Woody is inclined to keep Rex, and after the last month, I would lean towards him not keeping him, but if he didCohen will be promoted.
    Yes...Marc Ross would be a good choice. Jason Pierre-Paul...Victor Cruz...these guys made huge leaps in their 2nd years. And he's been a big part of the process that drafted them. Reese says Ross is ready too.

But I think it will be Scott Cohen...cause Woody still wants Rex. Problem is...does Cohen really want Rex? Is Woody going to give Cohen the necessary power and authority, to make the changes needed, to carry out his own vision and plan for success?

If not...Cohen will just be another facilitator for Woody's impulses for more Favre or Tebow type of acquisitions. Also having to please some of the irrational impulses of Rex too. Which will derail Cohen's blueprint, by killing the CAP and giving away precious draft picks...for nothing but questionable gains.

That's why I wanted as GM, to be someone outside the organization. And Marc Ross would be a legit candidate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great choices, but with a crazy a$$ owner like Woody. No real GM would touch the Jets. The Rex and Tanny show will continue. They are going nowhere. Oh yeah, and Sanchez will start next season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    So Aaron Rodgers didn't have a bigger arm, wasn't physically larger, and somehow ran a slower 40 and shuttle than Smith did, but now it's all way better than it was.

No, that's called bad scouting, guy.
    Ryan Leaf had a bigger arm, was physically larger, and ran faster than Peyton Manning in '98. Just sayin'.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Yes...Marc Ross would be a good choice. Jason Pierre-Paul...Victor Cruz...these guys made huge leaps in their 2nd years. And he's been a big part of the process that drafted them. Reese says Ross is ready too.

But I think it will be Scott Cohen...cause Woody still wants Rex. Problem is...does Cohen really want Rex? Is Woody going to give Cohen the necessary power and authority, to make the changes needed, to carry out his own vision and plan for success?

If not...Cohen will just be another facilitator for Woody's impulses for more Favre or Tebow type of acquisitions. Also having to please some of the irrational impulses of Rex too. Which will derail Cohen's blueprint, by killing the CAP and giving away precious draft picks...for nothing but questionable gains.

That's why I wanted as GM, to be someone outside the organization. And Marc Ross would be a legit candidate.
    I do think it will eventually be Cohen. What helps me rationalize that this is a good move is that he has only been here one year so he has not been rotted with the culture and lack of vision during the past 6 years. What worries me is that if eveyone else is still in place, than we may not have solved the issue.

Great point on final say. we need a GM that is willing to let the scouting department do their job and then actually listen to them. Rex is not a scout. not saying he cant evaluate talent, but these scouts do this 12 momths out of the year where the GM and HC are pretty limited to a couple of months.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Season isn't over but it's clear as day that Tannenbaum is out after this year's culmination of poor performance.

The thread is simple. Post a candidate for the next Jets General Manager, a slightly detailed description as to why, and any evidence pointing to why this person would be an improvement over the current FO

Contribution:

Name: Matt Russell
    Team: Denver Broncos
    Position: Head Director of Player Personnel
    Description:

Notable acquisitions:

Peyton Manning- Intriqual part of assessing Manning's health before the team signed him
    Ryan Clady- One of the best Left tackles in the league
    Eddie Royal- Starting WR
    Demaryius Thomas- Starting WR
    Zane Beadles- Starting LG
    J.D. Walton- Starting C
    Eric Decker- Starting WR
    Von Miller- beast
    Orlando Franklin- Starting RT
    Raheem Moore- Starting FS
    Dereck Wolfe- Starting DE
    Why is manning on that list- that was 100% Elway. Why is Clady on that list he was with the eagles when Clady was drafted. And you can't say that McDaniels drafted Tebow but he drafted Thomas & Decker can you?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do think it will eventually be Cohen. What helps me rationalize that this is a good move is that he has only been here one year so he has not been rotted with the culture and lack of vision during the past 6 years. What worries me is that if eveyone else is still in place, than we may not have solved the issue.

Great point on final say. we need a GM that is willing to let the scouting department do their job and then actually listen to them. Rex is not a scout. not saying he cant evaluate talent, but these scouts do this 12 momths out of the year where the GM and HC are pretty limited to a couple of months.
    I think Cohen is the guy as well. He's already on staff, has a good background as a scout and pro personnel guy, as well as some experience in contract negotiations.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Cohen has been here for at least 3 years maybe 4.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fans know crap about what guy wanted what guy drafted in what position.

Some GMs draft players that they don't agree with their staffs opinion. You don't know if a guy wanted Rogers, but everybody else in the room including the owner wanted Smith. He took Smith as that was a consensus choice. No one knows.

You have to take it as a body of work and you need to interview the scouts that used to work for the guy on his prowess and coaches that coached on that team. they must be 6 guys with input on every player drafted, a lot of references or criticisms to sort thru.

When a present GM such as the giants guy or Ozzie says that this guy is ready, that is a big plus. Likewise BB and Licht Nobody puts their name on the line in public unless that is the case.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    QB is the most important position. Misdrafting that single position will have you losing far longer than you need to.

The fact that Rodgers is a probable hall of famer barring injury makes this all the worse.

The fact that Smith played for Urban Meyer in an option offense at UTAH, where he ended up AFTER BEING REGGIE BUSH'S starting QB at Mission Viejo (aka, you looked DAMN GOOD) should have been enough. It should have raised every red flag.

That was a braindead poor pick. Rodgers had a ++++ arm at the combine, Smith had "mobility." You need to REALLY understand how bad that pick was.

And if he had a say in hiring Singletary, well, that right there, no matter how great the Niners roster is now, is inarguably a worse job than was done by Young, Accorsi, or Reese, who if you haven't realized win Super Bowls regularly.

Until the Giants actually suffer from mediocrity for an extended period, because, remember, Fassell did make it to a Super Bowl with a Sober and less than awesome Kerry Collins, I don't see why you would search any further than the Timex Performance Center. Whether it is Ross or Abrams. Either way, Woody needs to hang out with John Mara a lot more and learn how to run a football team.
    If it was so obvious, why did 20 other teams pass on Rogers? They all had a future hall of fame QB on the roster?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The abundance of hindsight makes the Aaron Rogers/Alex Smith discussion moot.

California and its coach had a reputation for developing underwhelming pro QBs with very good measurables. More than any other perceived gap in the two, I believe this was Rogers' largest perceived disadvantage. I personally loved the guy coming out of Cal, but I didn't know much about Smith so my opinion was totally skewed.

Now, I'd agree that Smith has busted as a #1 overall, and Rogers is MVP caliber annually. But looking back, I don't think you can put too much blame on a middle-manager type of guy at the time for not heavily influencing the top guy to pick a QB who had perceived intangible deficiencies over someone who was almost the consensus top QB. If the argument is that Rogers clearly had the better metrics and should have been chosen based solely on that fact...well, then we'd have a Kyle Boller/Vernon Gholston situation. That's clearly not the way to make player-personnel decisions.

All that being said, I'm very weary of candidates who come from a team who had been rotten for extended periods of time...not because I believe they should be punished for being so bad for so long, but more because teams with extended periods of futility often get to stockpile two to three years worth of high-value picks...which makes it much easier to build a solid football team.

Candidates from teams like the Giants and Ravens who haven't had the luxury of stockpiling high draft picks are a stronger indicator of skill IMO. I like Russell from the broncos, but the Tebow pick scares the **** outta me. That indicates that either he has no idea of how to set up a pro-offense, or he relies too heavily on the HC.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    If it was so obvious, why did 20 other teams pass on Rogers? They all had a future hall of fame QB on the roster?
    Many had invested a pick recently into a starting QB or had an established Veteran.

Look, here's the best parallel:

Gamble looks like Buddy Nix. Lots of credit given for "scouting talents." Nix "scouted so many Pro Bowler in San Diego."

Who cares?

We already tried that. Bradway is still a scouting "genius." He was our GM.

Nix and Gamble are very similar, and Nix pulled a Tannenbaum on the Fitzpatrick extension.

No thanks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why is manning on that list- that was 100% Elway. Why is Clady on that list he was with the eagles when Clady was drafted. And you can't say that McDaniels drafted Tebow but he drafted Thomas & Decker can you?
    The Broncos basically had their entire staff watching Manning's first practice since his surgery. I'm not doubting that Elway had a huge part in it, but Elway is a smart guy. I'm sure he knows that he needs 100% confirmation from guys on his evaluation staff.

I just listed notable starters. Notice I left Ayers off the list too and the multitude of second day picks. They can't all be zingers, but I'd rather have the guy who's had a hand in multiple starters than a guy who got lucky on one super star.

And my mistake about Clady. You're right

So remove Clady and Royal and you still have a very decent line up of guys that he's had a hand in.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polian, Accorsi or Parcells. I'd even consider AJ Smith.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Polian, Accorsi or Parcells. I'd even consider AJ Smith.
    Oh god no