Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Jets 2013 Salary Cap.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

NY Jets 2013 Salary Cap.

There has been much talk of the Jets issues concerning next years salary cap. Some have said it is sensationalism from the media, some have said there is legitimate concern. So lets take a look at the numbers and see for ourselves what the situation really is. All of these numbers are from Jason's site nyjetscap.com, which we can agree is the most accurate source of info on this topic. We will also assume the cap for next year will be pretty much the same as this year at $122million.

Going into next year, before any cut is made the cap number is $142 million.

First the obvious cuts:

Jason Smith $12 mil 0 dead money
    Calvin Pace $8.5 $3 mil dead money
    Bart Scott $7.1 $1.5 mil dead money
    Eric Smith $3 0 dead money
    Tim Tebow $1.5 $1 mil dead money

I think we can all agree that these players are gone at this point. That is a savings of $32.1 million, which now brings down the Jets cap number to $109.9 million, lets round to $110 million to keep things simple. The Jets are now 12 million under the projected $122 million cap.

Now some possible restructures.

Sione Pouha has a cap number of $6.1 next year. If cut, there is $3.8 in savings and $2.4 in dead money. His salary becomes fully guaranteed if on the roster at the start of the 2013 football year (which is in late February). My guess a restructure will be done and get his number down to around $4-5 million, lets stay conservative and call it 4.5, thus representing a savings of $1.6 million. The Jets are now at $108.4 million, or $13.6 under.

David Harris' cap number and base salary border on the ridiculous next year. His cap# is $13 mil with $10.9 in base salary. The Jets would save only $4 mil if cut and have $9 mil in dead money. He has one year left after next year and is releasable after 2013 with a 7 mil cap savings. So do the Jets restructure him to try to save a few dollars next year, but commit more guaranteed money down the road and make him harder to release in the future? I say they restructure him and extend him another year through 2015 and can save around 4 million by doing so, which brings his cap number = his dead money. The Jets are now at $104.4 million, or $17.6 under.

Santonio Holmes counts as $12.5 against and has only a $1.25 savings if cut and $11.2 in dead money, he is going nowhere.

Brick and Mangold both have a lot of years left on their deals and would unlikely be re-worked at this point.

Lets leave the bottom half of the roster out of it because there will be a lot of swapping of guys making $550K. There would be little savings at the end of the day by cutting and signing these types of players.

Now lets assume the Jets carry over $3.5 million from this years cap, which is realistic based on Landry staying healthy the rest of the season. The Jets are now at $101 million, or $21 million under.

So now the following players will not be on the roster, either due to being cut, or being a free agent.

Landry
    Bell
    Scott
    Pace
    Thomas
    E. Smith
    Devito
    Slausson
    Moore
    Keller
    Cumberland
    Greene
    Howard
    Schilens
    Folk

Those are just players that are either starters, or have had significant playing time. Granted some of those players are easily replaced, the fact still remains there are a lot of holes to fill. So the Jets will have approx $22 million for free agents AND draft pick for next year.

If I missed anything feel free to add to this, I did this while on a conference call....LOL.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 11-27-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    $22M is not alot of cap space to replace 15 players plus draft picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having so much money tied up in massive underachievers like Sanchez, Holmes and Harris is a very bad thing. I know for sure they won't do it because it would be career suicide for Tanny and Rex but I would really like a total blow up of the team. this version of the Jets is not winning the super bowl. Purge this year. Purge next year, accumulate lots of picks and live with a lousy team for a few years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Having so much money tied up in massive underachievers like Sanchez, Holmes and Harris is a very bad thing. I know for sure they won't do it because it would be career suicide for Tanny and Rex but I would really like a total blow up of the team. this version of the Jets is not winning the super bowl. Purge this year. Purge next year, accumulate lots of picks and live with a lousy team for a few years.
    This is why I do not expect any real changes next year. The one thing Woody MUST do is not allow Tanny to extend anyone or take on any significant salary. There is a lot of relief come 2014, and if the Jets are smart, can be in very good financial shape. You can not allow any trading of draft picks, young and cheap should be the motto for 2013.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If your blowing up the team then you do it with a new FO. You can not feasibly rebuild a team with guys who's jobs are in jeopardy like Rex and Tanny would be if they stay here. They will do everything to plug holes and pray current guys <cough Sanchez> just get better. A new GM and coach would have the luxury of looking at the team long term and do what's best overall. You start with Tanny and let the new GM go from there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can Sanchez be reworked after a year has passed or will he have already received his guaranteed money making it moot? I'm sure he realizes he hasn't earned his money so far. Holmes won't rework because he probably thinks he's worth that money, just injured this year. Those two contracts seem to be among the most crippling.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    If your blowing up the team then you do it with a new FO. You can not feasibly rebuild a team with guys who's jobs are in jeopardy like Rex and Tanny would be if they stay here. They will do everything to plug holes and pray current guys <cough Sanchez> just get better. A new GM and coach would have the luxury of looking at the team long term and do what's best overall. You start with Tanny and let the new GM go from there.
    Well said

If tanny is here, he has to be allowed to trade guys if it costs money or potentially restructure some deals to give us space in 2013.

That shouldnt happen though as we need a completely new FO and coaching staff

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I agree, that it is why I said rex and tanny wouldn't do it and I have no faith that the owner will replace them. All these two can do is dig us deeper in a vain effort to make this team do something. Win now moves will hurt us in the long run.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    There has been much talk of the Jets issues concerning next years salary cap. Some have said it is sensationalism from the media, some have said there is legitimate concern. So lets take a look at the numbers and see for ourselves what the situation really is. All of these numbers are from Jason's site nyjetscap.com, which we can agree is the most accurate source of info on this topic. We will also assume the cap for next year will be pretty much the same as this year at $122million.

Going into next year, before any cut is made the cap number is $142 million.

First the obvious cuts:

Jason Smith $12 mil 0 dead money
    Calvin Pace $8.5 $3 mil dead money
    Bart Scott $7.1 $1.5 mil dead money
    Eric Smith $3 0 dead money
    Tim Tebow $1.5 $1 mil dead money

I think we can all agree that these players are gone at this point. That is a savings of $32.1 million, which now brings down the Jets cap number to $109.9 million, lets round to $110 million to keep things simple. The Jets are now 12 million under the projected $122 million cap.

Now some possible restructures.

Sione Pouha has a cap number of $6.1 next year. If cut, there is $3.8 in savings and $2.4 in dead money. His salary becomes fully guaranteed if on the roster at the start of the 2013 football year (which is in late February). My guess a restructure will be done and get his number down to around $4-5 million, lets stay conservative and call it 4.5, thus representing a savings of $1.6 million. The Jets are now at $108.4 million, or $13.6 under.

David Harris' cap number and base salary border on the ridiculous next year. His cap# is $13 mil with $10.9 in base salary. The Jets would save only $4 mil if cut and have $9 mil in dead money. He has one year left after next year and is releasable after 2013 with a 7 mil cap savings. So do the Jets restructure him to try to save a few dollars next year, but commit more guaranteed money down the road and make him harder to release in the future? I say they restructure him and extend him another year through 2015 and can save around 4 million by doing so, which brings his cap number = his dead money. The Jets are now at $104.4 million, or $17.6 under.

Santonio Holmes counts as $12.5 against and has only a $1.25 savings if cut and $11.2 in dead money, he is going nowhere.

Brick and Mangold both have a lot of years left on their deals and would unlikely be re-worked at this point.

Lets leave the bottom half of the roster out of it because there will be a lot of swapping of guys making $550K. There would be little savings at the end of the day by cutting and signing these types of players.

Now lets assume the Jets carry over $3.5 million from this years cap, which is realistic based on Landry staying healthy the rest of the season. The Jets are now at $101 million, or $21 million under.

So now the following players will not be on the roster, either due to being cut, or being a free agent.

Landry
    Bell
    Scott
    Pace
    Thomas
    E. Smith
    Devito
    Slausson
    Moore
    Keller
    Cumberland
    Greene
    Howard
    Schilens
    Folk

Those are just players that are either starters, or have had significant playing time. Granted some of those players are easily replaced, the fact still remains there are a lot of holes to fill. So the Jets will have approx $22 million for free agents AND draft pick for next year.

If I missed anything feel free to add to this, I did this while on a conference call....LOL.
    Definitely a few guys on that list that I hope and should be back next year. Howard and Landry are two guys we should hold onto. Probably wont cost much either. Slausson and Schilens are two others that a cheap serviceable guys that can at least compete for jobs. And especially based on this year Folk should be brought back.

Devito and Smith are questionable based on money but I think in the right role they are good lunch bucket guys that would be nice to keep for the right price.

Now Keller and Cumberland will depend on which direction we decide to go in next year with the offense. New Co?

Greene is a guy that I think no matter what we offer a cheap contract to for 2-3 years. He doesnt like it he can walk. He is a good compliment back but in no way do I want him starting next year. He needs to go back to his old role if anything. I believe is is 28 years old.

The rest should be and I believe will be gone!

Also people are forgetting with the new salaries for rookies the draft is very cheap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You got the numbers right, but I don't see why you don't cut bait with Harris.
    IMO he seems to be slowing down rapidly. Harris being on the team next year is not going to make the team any more competitive, plus if a new regime comes in 2013, who is to say that a 4-3 won't be implemented and results in Harris being a two down run stuffer making 10mill a year. It seems harsh as Harris was a good soldier while waiting for his pay day when the others were all getting paid. But if the jets want to approach 2014 in the best possible shape
    the 10 mill more in cap money in 14 and 15 is the way to go.

You can also figure that the reserve the jets will need for the draft choices this year will be 5-7 mill depending on how many games they win over the next 5.
    Last edited by patman; 11-27-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You got the numbers right, but I don't see why you don't cut bait with Harris.
    IMO he seems to be slowing down rapidly. Harris being on the team next year is not going to make the team any more competitive, plus if a new regime comes in 2013, who is to say that a 4-3 won't be implemented and results in Harris being a two down run stuffer making 10mill a year. It seems harsh as Harris was a good soldier while waiting for his pay day when the others were all getting paid. But if the jets want to approach 2014 in the best possible shape
    the 10 mill more in cap money in 14 and 15 is the way to go.
    9 million in dead money if cut next year. You can make the argument he will be cut the following year when he saves $5 million and only has $2 million in dead money.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    9 million in dead money if cut next year. You can make the argument he will be cut the following year when he saves $5 million and only has $2 million in dead money.
    I based it on your earlier post " The Jets would save only $4 mil if cut and have $9 mil in dead money." 4 mill in savings will allow the team to keep either landry or keller long term

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I based it on your earlier post " The Jets would save only $4 mil if cut and have $9 mil in dead money."
    While it may save money from the cap, I dont think the Jets are going to pay Harris 9 million dollars to go away.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is why I do not expect any real changes next year. The one thing Woody MUST do is not allow Tanny to extend anyone or take on any significant salary. There is a lot of relief come 2014, and if the Jets are smart, can be in very good financial shape. You can not allow any trading of draft picks, young and cheap should be the motto for 2013.
    Anyone factored in REVIS? A holdout etc...

I wouldn't be surprised if asks for a trade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

I didnt touch the Revis aspect because I have no idea what will happen with him. Even if traded next season he would be a 3 million dollar hit against the cap for the prorated portion of his bonus.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think our OL stinks now? It is going to be a mess next year. 3 FAs and no money to replace them with good players.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Think our OL stinks now? It is going to be a mess next year. 3 FAs and no money to replace them with good players.
    Some of the more "optimistic" posters around here have told us that it is no problem because we have Vlad and Schlauderauff ready to step in at RG and LG.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    While it may save money from the cap, I dont think the Jets are going to pay Harris 9 million dollars to go away.
    Tough hit to be sure, but what good does he do you in 2014 and 15 with the new money your going to have to give him to extend? IMO if you can sign one of. If he is cut you have 4 mill more in '13 and the whole 7 mill in '14. that is a total cap savings of 11 mill over 2 years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

Revis has 3 years left of un-amortized SB to account for fora total of 9 mill that will hit the cap if he is traded or cut. Of course some of which will be offset by not having to pay his salary

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tough hit to be sure, but what good does he do you in 2014 and 15 with the new money your going to have to give him to extend? IMO if you can sign one of. If he is cut you have 4 mill more in '13 and the whole 7 mill in '14. that is a total cap savings of 11 mill over 2 years.
    If this current regime is still in place, like I think it will be, I highly doubt they trade Revis. It would be a sign that they are officially in rebuild mode and I do not think they will make moves that will be so obvious to the rebuilding process. It is a move that I could see if a new GM and HC were brought in though. It makes sense on a lot of levels if you are truly rebuilding.