Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: McElroy to Start

Quote Originally Posted by ytfootballfan View Post
    I'm actually quite ok with this as long as they trade him.

I think the Tebow hate is quite ridiculous honestly. The same people who kept bringing up how Sanchez's rhythm was messed up, then turn around and judge Tebow based on 3 freaking plays a game.

I don't see how anyone can actually judge anything when the guy didn't even get a chance to play half of a football game with this team. And when he DID start with another team he took them to the playoffs and won in the playoffs.

It's like all logic is thrown out the window when it comes to any kind of objective evaluation of this guy.
    The Jets brought in Tebow, they then watched him in preseason and in practice and determined what the Broncos already knew "He sucks." I am not basing my judgments on 4 or 5 passes, i am basing it on a body of work and the inferences i can make by the actions of the Jets coaching staff.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Paves the way for a "Demote Tanny, Retain Rex" situation.

Tanny will take the bullet for the Sanchez Draft and Resign and the Tebow Aquisition Failure, Rex will live on due to injuries, bad QB's and another Top 10 Defense and Top 10 Rushing attack.
    WHy in the hell should the Jets keep an incompetent executive such as Tannenbaum any where near the place. The hell with demotion, send a message and fire his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz

WHO THE F CARES. He SUCKS! Everyone knows it. Just find out what you have in McElroy and move on.

This season can't end fast enough.
    Who cares? It is totally apparent that Rex and Tanny promised Tebow the #2 job. Just like they promised Stanton the #2 job. This front office and coach tend to lie through their teeth or at the very least come off as disingenuous. This hurts a team in the long run when you are going after free agents and such. If you get a rep for bsing people it makes things worse in the long run.

It's a no brainer to start McElroy but Rex has a legit concern about how it will look. Not to the fans or media but to the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Tebow won a bunch of games last year. you are telling me there was no possible way he could have streetballed his way to winning that game in the 2nd half yesterday?

If you watched denver at all last year, you cannot say that.

All the stops should have been pulled out last night to win that game. why werent they? thats the question.
    Um, if you can't tell by the play calls, Sparano never instituted a proper play book for Tebow.

I don't think he knows how. In fact, I would wager Sparano's sell job to Tannenbaum on being an offensive coordinator may be one of the greatest con jobs in history.

And McElroy HAS ALWAYS been the guy Rex wanted. In Baltimore and here. He thinks he can win games with defense and just wants a QB who won't lose the game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    The Jets brought in Tebow, they then watched him in preseason and in practice and determined what the Broncos already knew "He sucks." I am not basing my judgments on 4 or 5 passes, i am basing it on a body of work and the inferences i can make by the actions of the Jets coaching staff.
    It would have been interesting to see what Tebow would have done from the 25 yd line last night instead of Suckchez though..

Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    I guess you didn't see the series that Tebow ran last night, huh?
    He got 2 first downs, and didn't turn the ball over. That how is that worse than what Sanchez did?

If Tebow stayed in, Sporano would have eventually thought of a counter to the Titan sending 7 rushers on every play, and Tebow would have completed some passes to go with the 7 yards per carry on the ground.

I think we all know Jets would have won the game with Tebow playing. I think we would have won with just about every other teams backup QB playing For us last night. Sanchez is just that bad.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    I suspect that McElroy will do very well in these last two games. He is very smart and an accurate short passer and that is how the Jets sytem is set up. I suspect that he will have a very good two games. Too bad it didn't happen two games ago.

And if he does well, I can just see the Jets setting up an "open competition" between Sanchez and McElroy in camp next year, which will finally push me over the deep end.
    lol or to another team

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Um, if you can't tell by the play calls, Sparano never instituted a proper play book for Tebow.

I don't think he knows how.
    Ill buy this. You are probably right. While a good OC like Mike Mcoy drew up plays for tebow to run successful, the meatball had no clue how to do this.

All League
    If McElroy "lights it up" these last 2 weeks...people will question Rex as to why he didn't start him earlier

There was one bullet left in his holster and rex never used it.

Why?
    Because he still thought Sanchez gave the team the best chance to win. You can disagree if you want but his reasoning is incredibly simple to understand.

Thank you lord! After the initial b*thchin, this should quiet the Tebow-ites. The guy will never be the Jets starter.

Even in the insane chance he's still on the roster next year, he's the "2nd stringer" that is occasionally used in some wildcat formations. While also as an emergency backup to whoever starts next year if the team continues to only suit up two QBs per game. But even if the starter were to get hurt one game and Tebow fills in, the following week the "3rd QB" would be named starter while Tebow goes back to the change of pace role.

Still be easier to just let him go though. Even with this glaring evidence of how he'll never be the Jets starter, his fans will probably still call for him to start at the first sign of trouble next season.

Now the question is, what's their thinking behind McElroy starting over Sanchez? I don't think they're going to eat $8 million.

So are they:
    1. Just giving McElroy some experience since the games don't matter. Basically grooming their backup a bit.
    2. Letting him play in hopes of raising his trade value?
    3. Hoping with some experience he'll truly contend with Mark next season for the starting role?
    4. Or is he really getting the opportunity to win the starting role for next season now?

Ill buy this. You are probably right. While a good OC like Mike Mcoy drew up plays for tebow to run successful, the meatball had no clue how to do this.
    True. I live when the team is in all out blitz mode, and Sporano has 4 WRs running verticals. So funny and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    If McElroy "lights it up" these last 2 weeks...people will question Rex as to why he didn't start him earlier
    True, let's hope Mcelroy looks good for the JETS sake regardless of how it will make Rex look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike135 View Post
    Thank you lord! After the initial b*thchin, this should quiet the Tebow-ites. The guy will never be the Jets starter.

Even in the insane chance he's still on the roster next year, he's the "2nd stringer" that is occasionally used in some wildcat formations. While also as an emergency backup to whoever starts next year if the team continues to only suit up two QBs per game. But even if the starter were to get hurt one game and Tebow fills in, the following week the "3rd QB" would be named starter while Tebow goes back to the change of pace role.

Still be easier to just let him go though. Even with this glaring evidence of how he'll never be the Jets starter, his fans will probably still call for him to start at the first sign of trouble next season.

Now the question is, what's their thinking behind McElroy starting over Sanchez. I don't think they're going to eat $8 million.

So are they:
    1. Just giving McElroy some experience since the games don't matter. Basically grooming their backup a bit.
    2. Letting him play in hopes of raising his trade value?
    3. Hoping with some experience he'll truly contend with Mark next season for the starting role?
    4. Or is he really getting the opportunity to win the starting role for next season now?
    They should release Tebow. It is such a travesty what this team has done to him. I absolutely hate this organization right now. Such a disgrace.

i can finally root for this team again...

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    He sucks in a conventional offense. Everyone knew this. That's what the Jets had him do in the preseason. And if you don't understand this difference there's little else that can be discussed.

Put him in the spread option where dual rush pass QB belong and he will flourish just like the rest of these kids coming out of college. He was the best spread option QB bar none coming out of college other than RG3.

He's never played with a coaching staff who truly implemented this. Even the Broncos, only implemented mainly read option rushing plays.

It does make a huge difference. The fact is last year coaches and teams were concerned about going full out with the spread option. Only the Panthers took a chance on it. This year you have 4 other teams that joined in and proved IT IS a viable NFL offense and it works so damn well you have rookies putting up stats that rival the elite passers of this league.

It really isn't Tebow's fault this staff doesn't get this, and tried to turn him into something he is not, which is a conventional pocket passing QB. This is a dying offense anyway as more and more teams will be drafting spread option QB's. The Jets could have had a head start by beginning with Tebow and designing such an offense. Even if he didn't replicate his success they would have the needed personnel and offensive system to draft another college QB and plug him in. Instead, they will take a step back with a guy like McElroy and will probably end up doing it anyway, but another year too late.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Because he doesn't have much of an arm, I don't see McElroy lighting it up. He could do a good job, but he won't be lighting anything up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Because he doesn't have much of an arm, I don't see McElroy lighting it up. He could do a good job, but he won't be lighting anything up.
    How about a victory cigar??

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    They should release Tebow. It is such a travesty what this team has done to him. I absolutely hate this organization right now. Such a disgrace.
    Not sure if serious...

Very few teams were actually interested in Tebow. It was us and Jacksonville.

If the guy was tearing it up in practice, he'd be starting as well. Clearly they see his lousy arm there. Tebow was simply brought in to be Brad Smith.

Tebow won a bunch of games last year. you are telling me there was no possible way he could have streetballed his way to winning that game in the 2nd half yesterday?

If you watched denver at all last year, you cannot say that.

All the stops should have been pulled out last night to win that game. why werent they? thats the question.
    lol.

that's all we're missing... a little flag football mentality in the National Football League.