Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: McElroy to Start

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by dameangreenkillingmachine View Post
    watch mcelroy go 2-0 with over a 100 qb rating these last 2 games. then that leaves with uncertainty for what to do over the offseason. get a qb or 2 or stick with mcelroy
    WTF... A 3rd string QB is a 3rd string QB.

COMMON.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Guys with below average arm strength dont get taken 18th overall. He arm was fine until he got hurt. Go back and look at the tape dude.
    The knock on Chad coming out of College was his arm strength.

SportsLine.com Report
    April 15, 2000

The Answer
    The best quarterback in the draft hopped into the Jets' boat and they didn't throw him back.

"The only reason we didn't have Chad's face plastered up on the post office wall is because we really didn't anticipate the scenario where he would come to us," coach Al Groh said. "We got a first-round quarterback without having to be a 3-13 team, which is usually where you have to go to make those kinds of picks."

Chad Pennington had turned heads all the way down to the Jets' own first-round pick at No. 18. Pittsburgh was thought to like him at No. 8, although the Steelers took WR Plaxico Burress instead. Denver (No. 15) and San Francisco (No. 16) also had interest at one time. But a combination of last year's QB feast, some knocks on his arm strength and mobility, and more pressing needs kept him moving down the first round. But that was OK with him.

"I played in green in high school, I was in green at Marshall and I'm green again," he said from his home near Knoxville, Tenn., after his selection. "This is actually the best situation out of all the teams. Being able to go to an organization and a city that loves football, have a coach like Al Groh and a quarterback coach like Dan Henning, playing under Vinny Testaverde, you can't ask for a better situation."

Groh compared him favorably to Phil Simms, the QB when Groh was a Giants assistant coach in the 1980s and early '90s. And Simms, now CBS's top NFL analyst, said from his North Jersey home that he's impressed by the little he's seen of Pennington.

"The people I talked to had him picked a lot higher than that," Simms said. "He's a little more athletic than people give him credit for. And he throws the ball with pinpoint accuracy. The two things you have to do as an NFL quarterback are picking the open guy and then throwing it to him. Moving around is way down the list."

The accuracy was underscored by a school-record 63.3 career completion percentage that set a Marshall record. Other Thundering Herd marks he toppled were for completions (1,084), attempts (1,712), yards (14,036) and touchdown passes (123, many to Vikings superstar Randy Moss). In addition, he throws tight spirals and flings well when he is forced from the pocket.

The Question
    Despite Pennington's gentle protestations to the contrary, draft analysts marked him down for his arm strength, saying that while it has improved over the years, he noticeably loses accuracy the further downfield he throws and doesn't have the arm of last year's top three QBs, Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb and Akili Smith. And while he said he tried to answer those who don't like his mobility by turning a 4.84 in the 40-yard dash at the combine, some still think he is not elusive or dangerous enough when he is forced to tuck the ball and run.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Guys with below average arm strength dont get taken 18th overall. He arm was fine until he got hurt. Go back and look at the tape dude.
    Don't need to look at the tape because all the scouting reports at the time said that he had below average arm strength, just as JC mentioned.

And LOL at using 18th overall as a basis for the argument. He was the 1st QB taken that draft, the most important position on a team, and he went 18th. If he had NFL armstrength he wouldve gone much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Rumors are rumors, but multiple media sources reported a couple of weeks back that Rex wanted to start Mac while Tanny and Sparano were in favor or Sanchez. Rex went with Sanchez.

If these rumors are correct, then Rex just won the power struggle and both Tanny and Sparano are either gone or re-assigned. In other words, Rex set it up as, "You want your guy? Fine. Let's see if he ruins the season." And Sanchez did end up ruining it.
    If that's true, then where's Rex's spine?

Neither Tanny nor Sparano have final say. Rex could and can veto anything they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I feel that coming, honestly...In the times that he has played in either preseason or regular season, McElroy has shown an awareness and a playmaker ability that I have rarely seen in Sanchez. I've always thought he might be something special. Some guys just move their team down the field, clicking off first downs and everytime he's been in that's exactly what he's done. The exact opposite of Sanchez, Mr 3 and Out
    We would be in the playoffs if he was just Mr. 3 and Out!!

What I noticed looking at McElroy playing in the preseason and comparing it to his college footage I notice that he seems to trust his ability, something I think Sanchez has lost. He also moves very well in the pocket, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning-ish. I am not saying he is going to have one of thoughs careers just that he moves very well in the pocket.

One thing that concerned me about highlight film is that there was not that many highlights of out routes.

All in all, I think this kid is going to be a lot better then people are anticipating.

Here's to Greg going 2-0!

Most excited I've been for a Jets game since 2008.

Bewildered Beast
    are you kidding? the "steiny" guy already has a bromance going

I’ve been lucky enough to have formed a friendship with him over the past year and a half, and I can honestly say he is one of the most dedicated, hard working, down-to-earth players on the team. Never was that more evident than 2 weeks ago, when he hit me up at 11:00PM … as he was leaving the facility. Keep in mind he arrives at 6:00AM every morning. Last player to leave, first one to arrive. GMac worked endlessly to get this shot, and I can say with confidence he will make the most of it.
    He's a 3rd string QB that will break your heart, steiny. I can tell you this because I once fell in love with a little 3rd stringer that could, Brooks "Balls-Out" Bollinger. Fell hard, too.

It was a messy, messy divorce.

Veteran
    Not to compare Mccelroy to Chad, but I sure miss Penny. On MNF, they flashed some stat how Sanchez has 4 red zone int's and had 2 more during the game.

I remember I used to make fun of Chad and the broadcast when they used to say Pennington has gone "x" pass attempts without throwing a pick in the red zone.

Pennington deserved more credit than he got. Replace the young Pennington with Young Sanchez..maybe were talking super bowl.

All League
    James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerESPN
    #Jets HC Rex Ryan on starting QB Greg McElroy: "After thinking about where the team is now, I think it's best for the team."

#Jets HC Rex Ryan said he's not ready to work out his backup QB situation between Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow.

All League
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Ryan said he told Sanchez last night he was being demoted. #Jets

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Ryan not sure who will be No. 2 QB. #Jets

Wow.

Its about time, but a little late? Sucks that Woody over ruled Rex about the qb controversy

Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Ryan not sure who will be No. 2 QB. #Jets

Wow.
    make it tebow. Let Sanchez sit and watch in sweats. a true benching.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    A week late anyway
    A game too late, Should have stayed with McElroy since AZ game.....

All League
    #Jets HC Rex Ryan: "I'd rather not look at what's behind me. I'd rather look at what's in front of me. I want to put Greg out there."

Jets RapidReports ‏@CBSJets
    "I do believe that it's best for our team that Greg (McElroy) is our quarterback and I'm the guy that's making this decision."

Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Paves the way for a "Demote Tanny, Retain Rex" situation.

Tanny will take the bullet for the Sanchez Draft and Resign and the Tebow Aquisition Failure, Rex will live on due to injuries, bad QB's and another Top 10 Defense and Top 10 Rushing attack.
    And what respectable GM is going to take Tanny's job when we tell him he has to retain Rex?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    are you kidding? the "steiny" guy already has a bromance going

He's a 3rd string QB that will break your heart, steiny. I can tell you this because I once fell in love with a little 3rd stringer that could, Brooks "Balls-Out" Bollinger. Fell hard, too.

It was a messy, messy divorce.

youre kidding right, brooks bollinger? You cant compare the two. not saying GMac is good but they are not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by McElroy14 View Post
    youre kidding right, brooks bollinger? You cant compare the two. not saying GMac is good but they are not comparable.
    Oh yes you can. They are one and the same. Accept the reality. Small kid, big heart, highschool arm.