Thread: The Positives from last night

All Pro

The Positives from last night

Yes, unbelievable but true, there were atleast a couple of encouraging signs that you can take away from the game yesterday. I dont want to get into the entire QB disaster and how a trainwreck like yesterday might help the franchise going forward but rather look at some players who certainly showed their worth yesterday:

BILAL POWELL - Even though he was hurting he really played well in limited snaps out there. Had a long run and then basically kept the game alive late in the game with an incredible effort on a dump off from Sanchez, making three free tacklers miss for a first down. He also had a strong spin move, turning a 2 yard loss into a 1 yard gain. His pass protection continues to be solid even though he had one misread yesterday. Who can blame him if the entire offense looks like they have no idea what is going on out there.

MUHAMMAD WILKERSON - It is nothing new that Wilkerson has been one of our biggest bright spots throughout the year. For the most part he was neutralized rushing the passer but he was a beast against the run. He constantly holds up against double teams and more often than not even makes the tackle himself. Then he also made two signature plays showing spectacular athletisism, blocking a field goal and pushing a scrambling Locker out of bounds on third down near the sidelines.

QUINTON COPLES - After he was brought along slowly at the beginning of the year he is really earning more and more time. He had his fourth sack yesterday while doing a great job spying on Locker, knowing he could run. His closing speed after he recognizes pass is special and opponents can't keep him from penetrating a gap. He had numerous QB pressures aswell. He looks so talented that he should definitely take over for DeVito in the starting lineup next season.

BRAYLON EDWARDS - While the big highlight plays of his previous MNF debut were missing he still had a very good game considering he only arrived this week and clearly was not 100%. His size alone makes him a considerable threat and he actually gets open unless marginal guys like Gates or Gilyard who just should not see any time. Going forward this was a great sign as Edwards has now become our first addition to our new future receiving corps.

KENRICK ELLIS - He finally saw some more time yesterday after finally looking healthy after a season of nagging problems. He did what a nose tackle is supposed to do, he basically made himself an immovable object inside and also pushed the center into the backfield a couple of times. He is also a high effort guy who has no problem to chase a play from behind. All in all the job of the Jets is to keep this kid healthy as he looks poised to take over for a fast declining Sione Pouha next season.

I know it is hard to really enjoy some of the facts that I posted above but even with the entire team going down in flames there are a lot of players who had decent and even good seasons. When we make the necessary moves in the offseason to upgrade certain areas, then the players mentioned above should only shine that much brighter. Our young defensive line could be much more effective with faster linebackers confusing the offensive line or causing considerable mismatches.

I thought Coples looked great last night, he and Wilk are really developing. Cromartie had his usual strong coverage. Powell is definitely worthy of a roster spot next season as at least a #2 RB, same with McKnight for the #3. Braylon looked like he had something left in the tank, although I see him as our #3 or #4 next season.

I think that Wilkerson will be an above average defensive lineman in they coming years. I don't know about Couples.

Tennessee is awful. It's just that Mark Sanchez is worse. That's all I saw, guys.

I already knew that this defense was capable of beating the sewerage of the NFL that we were due to play these last 4 games.

Positives

We only have two games left in the 2012 season!

All League
    Did Austin Howard regress last night? Is Tenn's pass rush all that good? I was starting to believe Howard would be our RT going into next season.

Braylon was certainly a huge boost. It didn't translate to a win, but he is not "finished" as so many on here believed.

DL and secondary were very good for the most part. We clearly need a speed injection at the LB spot, that was made a bit more clear (as if it wasn't already) last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post

BRAYLON EDWARDS - While the big highlight plays of his previous MNF debut were missing he still had a very good game considering he only arrived this week and clearly was not 100%. His size alone makes him a considerable threat and he actually gets open unless marginal guys like Gates or Gilyard who just should not see any time. Going forward this was a great sign as Edwards has now become our first addition to our new future receiving corps.
    I agree with all your positives, but seeing Bray out there was awesome. Guy is hurt and only had a couple days practice in the system. Yet looked head-n-shoulders above our other "weapons". Both figuratively and literally. I forgot how big the guy was.

One reception in particular was great to see. Mark threw it before Bray had turned around. Kinda high and to the left. In like a quarter of a second, Bray found the ball, reached up and back across his body to make the grab.

A good play for any receiver, but that alone made him look like Jerry Rice in comparison to our other receivers. With perhaps an exception for Kerley. He had a nice grab or two as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Did Austin Howard regress last night? Is Tenn's pass rush all that good? I was starting to believe Howard would be our RT going into next season.

Braylon was certainly a huge boost. It didn't translate to a win, but he is not "finished" as so many on here believed.

DL and secondary were very good for the most part. We clearly need a speed injection at the LB spot, that was made a bit more clear (as if it wasn't already) last night.
    Had Demario Davis played instead of Bart maybe CJ doesn't do that 90+ TD romp..

Despite that 94 yarder -- which Pouha admitted was a mistake and he knew right away, so it wasn't really tackling issue or something -- the DL is really coming together. Yes, everyone on this completely negative board has pointed out the Titans are not the Patriots. But I don't give a fck, it's the NFL. And Coples, a rookie, and Wilk and Ellis, second year players, showed they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    What's funny about that play is that the mistake Bart made is something you'd expect Davis to make (going into the wrong gap).

Davis should definitely play more than he's been playing, but who is to say he'd have made the right read.

The vastly declining Pouha is to blame most on that play followed by Harris/Scott. I bet Pouha is playing at like 70% right now. I thought Ellis outplayed him last night.

In all fairness, Bart made a few good plays last night. Taking down Chris Johnson for a loss is a good read and play for any LB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike135 View Post
    In all fairness, Bart made a few good plays last night. Taking down Chris Johnson for a loss is a good read and play for any LB.
    Devito did it also.. Actually except for the big run CJ was shut down..

He did not have a good game last night, but he was playing well for about 4-5 weeks before that. That being said, I don't think he was all too terrible last night because they seemed to be rushing at least five on every passing play.

It appeared that Tennessee blitzed more last night than any other team we faced this year. When you have a QB who has zero confidence and a borderline NFL caliber receiving corps, you blitz the hell out of them. Smart game-planning by their coaching staff.

+1

The only good drive they had all game was when they kept rolling Locker out of the pocket. Our LBs are so friggin slow and none of them are pass rushers at this point.

Devito did it also.. Actually except for the big run CJ was shut down..
    Oh no doubt. Devito was a beast out there. Overall, I thought the whole D played well. Minus of course the 94yd run and that one other Tennessee TD drive that seemed to be like watching a completely different game.

All Pro

I dont think so. It is just hard for the offensive line to block everyone on every play when the QB has no pocket awareness, holds the ball too and does not make good protection reads before the snap. Tennessee basically blitzed every time Sanchez was in a passing situation, knowing that a) the Jets wont find a way to adjust and b) Sanchez would never hurt them with a hot read. It is tough to protect a QB like that. To me Howard is still our starting right tackle going into next year. He has been solid, very good in run blocking and average in pass blocking, considering the price tag you keep him. We also cant forget that this is his first year starting and that while only taking the starting job late in training camp.

Another player who was very good yesterday was Garrett McIntyre. Set the edge very well and also had a sack. Considering how sparingly he plays over the course of the season he is always proving that he is a decent backup.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike135 View Post
    Oh no doubt. Devito was a beast out there. Overall, I thought the whole D played well. Minus of course the 94yd run and that one other Tennessee TD drive that seemed to be like watching a completely different game.
    Bart is playing with a shoe 2 sizes too big because of his turf toe swelling.. I understand the tough guy warrior aspect but if I was the HC I'm playing the rookie..