Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what is the lesson of the the Mark Sanchez disaster?

Veteran

So what is the lesson of the the Mark Sanchez disaster?

High-profile bust, especially at the QB position, should serve as a cautionary tale for the league on traits to avoid in a prospect. What can we learn from the Mark Sanchez experience?

There are many things we can learn, but I have narrowed it down to these 3 for me...

1) Don't give a huge contract to a QB who hasn't earned it with their play.
    If a QB is horrible, he is horrible. And there is no shame in immediately trying to find his replacement. See Carolina with Jimmy Clausen.

2.) Build the scheme to fit the quarterbacks's skillset.
    How many times do we see a square peg being squeezed into a round hole? If you're QB fits a WCO, run a WCO. Pretty simple concept.

3.) Put pieces around him to succeed.
    If that means completely ignoring the defense for a year, do it. In this day and age, a franchise QB trumps everything.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Two lessons, off the top of my head....

1. Finding a franchise QB isn't easy.

2. Hope is not a strategy. The Jets extended Sanchez with the hope that he would pan out this year. That, more than anything else, is what may doom this franchise in the near term.

Not sure if those are lessons, per se. More like conclusions.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    High-profile bust, especially at the QB position, should serve as a cautionary tale for the league on traits to avoid in a prospect. What can we learn from the Mark Sanchez experience?

There are many things we can learn, but I have narrowed it down to these 3 for me...

1) Don't give a huge contract to a QB who hasn't earned it with their play.
    If a QB is horrible, he is horrible. And there is no shame in immediately trying to find his replacement. See Carolina with Jimmy Clausen.

2.) Build the scheme to fit the quarterbacks's skillset.
    How many times do we see a square peg being squeezed into a round hole? If you're QB fits a WCO, run a WCO. Pretty simple concept.

3.) Put pieces around him to succeed.
    If that means completely ignoring the defense for a year, do it. In this day and age, a franchise QB trumps everything.
    Don't draft a QB high in the first round that only has 1 yr experience as a starter, that's not a large enough body of work to evalute him on.....That was always my concern with Suckchez and it seems to be a valid one......
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-18-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Its a combination of things that caused the problem. Rex never fired Cavanaugh even after Mark regressed last year and at the same time gave him less weapons to work with.

The franchise set him up to fail

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Don't draft a QB high in the first round that only has 1 yr experience as a starter, that's not a large enough body of work to evalute him on.....That was always my concern with Suckchez and it seems to be a valid one......
    This is probably smart.

But I think the fact that this team was not dedicated to developing the QB has just as much to do with his failure as anything else.

Veteran
    That being said, I don't regret the Jets drafting Mark Sanchez.

It's always a gamble, no matter who you draft. The Jets did their homework and thought they had identified a guy who could be their franchise quarterback for the future. Once they identified a prospect who they felt would fit that description, they were bold enough to trade some picks to move up and get him. This was the right thing to do, so I don't blame them one bit. They got as much information as they could, made a calculated decision, and threw the dice. I respect them for that. In this particular instance, the gamble just didn't pay off.

Doing what the Jets did is a lot better than what the Vikings did when they drafted Ponder. Minnesota panicked when all the QB's were taken and just took whoever was left over when their pick came around.

I look at the Jets drafting Sanchez like when the Vikings traded for Herschel Walker. They had a great team that was only missing a running back. They identified a great player who they thought could get them to the promised land. It was a bold move, but it just didn't turn out. If they had won a Super Bowl or 2, everybody would have said it was a genius move. The point is, they did what they thought they had to do to win. They didn't go the timid route.

The Jets did the same thing with Sanchez. It didn't work out, but you have to gamble in life. The most successful people in life didn't make it to where they are by playing it safe.

All Pro
    If they hadn't extended him, the pickup of Sanchez was a good risk -gave up little for a shot a legitimate qb....but now they've doomed us for the next 3 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

It's always a gamble, no matter who you draft. The Jets did their homework and thought they had identified a guy who could be their franchise quarterback for the future. Once they identified a prospect who they felt would fit that description, they were bold enough to trade some picks to move up and get him. This was the right thing to do, so I don't blame them one bit. They got as much information as they could, made a calculated decision, and threw the dice. I respect them for that. In this particular instance, the gamble just didn't pay off.

Doing what the Jets did is a lot better than what the Vikings did when they drafted Ponder. Minnesota panicked when all the QB's were taken and just took whoever was left over when their pick came around.

I look at the Jets drafting Sanchez like when the Vikings traded for Herschel Walker. They had a great team that was only missing a running back. They identified a great player who they thought could get them to the promised land. It was a bold move, but it just didn't turn out. If they had won a Super Bowl or 2, everybody would have said it was a genius move. The point is, they did what they thought they had to do to win. They didn't go the timid route.

The Jets did the same thing with Sanchez. It didn't work out, but you have to gamble in life. The most successful people in life didn't make it to where they are by playing it safe.
    That's a fair point King P, well written.

I have to agree with Peebag as well, that extension Sanchez was given was just a bonehead play.

Trying to take SOMETHING positive from that, hopefully, that's the dagger that will rid us of Tannenbaum as our GM.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 12-18-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Banned
    Don't coddle and spoil bad players.

I hear so much crap coming out of people's mouths about "Poor, Sanchez! His confidence will be destroyed if we do X, Y, and Z!"

Seriously, STFU with this stuff! If this was the mentality of the coaching staff, it makes me want everyone fired even more.

This is a professional football team, not a day care center where we encourage children and praise their artistic talent for scribbling with a crayon.

Don't accommodate premadonna's. All you need to do is compare us to the Patriots. Over there they make everyone live up to the standard of the organization. Over here we've been lowering the organization to the level of a bunch of over dramatic babies.

I'm not going to miss the Rex Ryan era and I hope it ends this season.

When he was first hired, I admit I was excited. He was brash, he spoke his mind, he was a bit of a trash talker. I thought "Wow! This is gonna' be a lot of fun! We're gonna' kick ass and talk trash and that's going to be our new Jets!"

Now I realize what a disaster this whole culture has been.

Whoever we bring in, I want a serious football team from now on and not a media circus.

Veteran

This. But I would add that when that prospect doesn't improve, don't reward them with a contract extension.

And absolutely stop trying to fit square pegs into round holes. This franchise does this a lot.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree it was a gamble worth taking and it obviously didn't work out. Imagine if it had, then compare what they gave up to get him compared to what the Skins had to do to get RG3. They just ended up with the wrong guy.

BUT... lessons must be learned. The Jets miserably failed in developing this kid. Didn't surround him with appropriate weapons, didn't surround him with quality coaching (a defensive minded coach with no clue on QB play combined with 2 horrible offensive coordinators on their first try at the job), no consistency in the offense or the field personnel, no adjustment to his strengths. A stark contrast to the way the Giants developed Eli, who at times early in his life was as bad as Sanchez was. There's no chance Eli would have developed into the player he is now under Rex and Schotty/Sparano's watch. None.

The next coach better be not only an offensive guy, but a proven one who has developed a young QB. Look at what Harbaugh has done in San Francisco. Look at how guys like Rodgers and Eli were developed. Systematic programs that are designed over the course of seasons, not week by week.

All Pro
    JP, and its not just Sanchez.

This regime has been absolutely dreadful in player development. Who on the roster has greatly improved since he was taken in the draft? Mo? That's about it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I agree it was a gamble worth taking and it obviously didn't work out. Imagine if it had, then compare what they gave up to get him compared to what the Skins had to do to get RG3. They just ended up with the wrong guy.

BUT... lessons must be learned. The Jets miserably failed in developing this kid. Didn't surround him with appropriate weapons, didn't surround him with quality coaching (a defensive minded coach with no clue on QB play combined with 2 horrible offensive coordinators on their first try at the job), no consistency in the offense or the field personnel, no adjustment to his strengths. A stark contrast to the way the Giants developed Eli, who at times early in his life was as bad as Sanchez was. There's no chance Eli would have developed into the player he is now under Rex and Schotty/Sparano's watch. None.

The next coach better be not only an offensive guy, but a proven one who has developed a young QB. Look at what Harbaugh has done in San Francisco. Look at how guys like Rodgers and Eli were developed. Systematic programs that are designed over the course of seasons, not week by week.
    I dunno about the part about surrounding him with offensive weapons. Who does RGIII have around him? Leonard Hankerson? An aging Santana Moss? The Jets went out and got two marquee WRs in Holmes and Edwards and had a pass catching TE in Keller. Perhaps not the greatest weapons in the world, but its certainly enough to get by.

I think its becoming apparent that the game simply hasn't slowed down for Sanchez. Its tough to read defenses, make split second decisions in the face of a pass rush. I think, at this point in time, he simply doesn't have the mental capacity or makeup to succeed in the NFL. Doesn't mean he's dimwitted or will never have that ability, but the longer he fails, the less likely it is. Perhaps a year or three on the sideline in a different city will help him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Who on the roster has greatly improved since he was taken in the draft?
    Mo Wilkerson
    Mike Devito
    Sione Pouha
    Ellis Lankster
    Bilal Powell
    Jeremy Kerley
    Matt Slauson
    Jeff Cumberland
    Austin Howard

All Pro
    I've been saying this for 1,2,3,4 seasons now Sanchez sucks! HA HA HA HA. It took a national embarassement for the Jets to realize their mistake. The Sanchez experience is over. NEVER, NEVER EVER ever draft another QB from University of Southern California.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Mo Wilkerson
    Mike Devito
    Sione Pouha
    Ellis Lankster
    Bilal Powell
    Jeremy Kerley
    Matt Slauson
    Jeff Cumberland
    Austin Howard
    Lol.

How many of these guys could start on playoff caliber teams?

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Very good points.

What angers me the most right now is that I recently learned that he only started his senior year at Mission Viejo HS also. So you reach up to #5 to take a guy who has started 2 out of 8 years? Are you f**kin kidding me?

This has Woody Johnson written all over it too. Very important that he can put his QBs face on a billboard in Times Sq. too. But we'll never know.

Woody if you read this, get me a tall QB, with a big arm, decent accuracy, and I don't care if he's ugly as sin.

Also, just my opinion, I think Tannenbaum hamstrung the organization on purpose, thinking that as long as Sanchez was on the roster in 2013 he, Tannenbaum, would also have to be collecting his fat GM paycheck while Sanchez steals his alongside him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Lol.

How many of these guys could start on playoff caliber teams?
    Oh... is that the question now?

Because your other question was who had improved.

Let me know when you stop moving the target around, I'll take another shot at it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    I've been saying this for 1,2,3,4 seasons now Sanchez sucks! HA HA HA HA. It took a national embarassement for the Jets to realize their mistake. The Sanchez experience is over. NEVER, NEVER EVER ever draft another QB from University of Southern California.
    Yes, lucky you! Oh smart one, revel in your victory and universal claims of knowledge! All hail.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Oh... is that the question now?

Because your other question was who had improved.

Let me know when you stop moving the target around, I'll take another shot at it.
    So the goal is to find terrible practice squad players and turn them into bottom of the roster types?

The model of success.