Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Rex is Fired....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

If Rex is Fired....

How about we hire an Offensive coach? All we've had since Parcells in '97 are Defensive coaches, and the the guy before that was just, well, offensive.

"Scoring points" seem to be a bad couple of words there in Florham Park, and it's time for a change.

I really don't want a College guy coming in. I'd like to see an experienced NFL coordinator, preferably one that's been on a high-scoring, pass happy, team.

Ok, I'll let you guys in on a guy that I think the Jets should look into: How about Kevin Gilbride?

He is a x's & o's guy that is super aggressive in the passing game. He's been around, and even has experience as the HC of the Chargers. I have heard that he'd still like the opportunity to be a HC.

What do you guys think?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    How about we hire an Offensive coach? All we've had since Parcells in '97 are Defensive coaches, and the the guy before that was just, well, offensive.

"Scoring points" seem to be a bad couple of words there in Florham Park, and it's time for a change.

I really don't want a College guy coming in. I'd like to see an experienced NFL coordinator, preferably one that's been on a high-scoring, pass happy, team.

Ok, I'll let you guys in on a guy that I think the Jets should look into: How about Kevin Gilbride?

He is a x's & o's guy that is super aggressive in the passing game. He's been around, and even has experience as the HC of the Chargers. I have heard that he'd still like the opportunity to be a HC.

What do you guys think?
    He's fine I guess. Don't know a ton about him, but I personally would rather see them hire an experienced HC, something they haven't done in a while.

I'm tired of watching these guys learn on the job, to be honest.

Notice the pattern from the past decade?

Hire rookie HC, have some success followed by some colossal failure, fire HC. Repeat.

No thanks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    bill cowher steve mariucci or do the harbaughs have another brother?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Rex is fired with a +.500 record and sht talent, he will get any DC job he wants. Belichick happens to be rather fond of Rex's X and O ability. Rex Ryan or Matt patricia??? hmmm... even if Rex isn't belichick's "speed" he would bring him on just so the jets would be held scoreless for the next 4 games vs. NE

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about making Sean Peyton an offer he can't refuse? Truck load of cash and the last word over personnel moves.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    How about making Sean Peyton an offer he can't refuse? Truck load of cash and the last word over personnel moves.
    thats a great idea.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you haven't notice but truck load of money and Woody are not too friendly with each other right now. And after this debacle, say hello to more empty seats.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you said Kevin Gilbride: Check out this for irony....Buddy Ryan once threw a punch at guess who? Kevin Gilbride when they were both coaches for the then Houston Oilers. The game happened to be against: The NY JETS.

You offer Kevin Gilbride the job an it's like Gilbride is knocking out Buddy's son Rex Ryan. Just some time on my hand. Anyway here is the video.

http://youtu.be/bPK3cDl7Ftw

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as he brings Drew Brees with him

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Giants have won two Super Bowl's with Kevin "Killdrive" as their Offensive Coordinator and they STILL LOATHE him.

Jay Gruden would be a guy I would like to see brought in. Cincinnati has done well with Andy Dalton's limitations. Of course someone like A.J. Green helps a ton, but Gruden's helped find some nice young offensive talent there in Ohio.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post

What do you guys think?
    Gilbride was the OC on the same Houston Oilers team, that DC Buddy Ryan threw a punch at on the sidelines. Cause Buddy felt that Kevin's pass happy game plan was undermining his defense.

And who was the opponent...the Jets!

Oh the irony...Kevin Gilbride taking over as HC NYJ...for Buddy's son Rex!

Here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPK3cDl7Ftw

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Gilbride was the OC on the same Houston Oilers team, that DC Buddy Ryan threw a punch at on the sidelines. Cause Buddy felt that Kevin's pass happy game plan was undermining his defense.

Here it is...

At the time, Gilbride and the Oilers were running the run and shoot offense. Buddy referred to this as the chuck and duck offense.

When the Oilers offense turned the ball over to the Jets in the wild card game Buddy blames Gilbride.

If he took the Jets job after Rex getting fired, Wow just Wow.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    If Rex is fired with a +.500 record and sht talent, he will get any DC job he wants. Belichick happens to be rather fond of Rex's X and O ability. Rex Ryan or Matt patricia??? hmmm... even if Rex isn't belichick's "speed" he would bring him on just so the jets would be held scoreless for the next 4 games vs. NE
    Yeah but you don't keep a HC around simply because of the fear your division rival may hire him as a DC. Some coordinators are just not cut out to be HCs. Dick Lebeau gave it a try in Cincinnatti about 10 years ago and it didn't work....Pitt hired him as a DC and he's an all-time great at what he does. It just happens like that though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. It's worth a chance to go all in with a HC of his caliber. Payton is one of the best young offensive minds in the game. He turned Drew Brees from an above average QB to a HOFer. He may be able to do the same with a guy like McElroy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post

Here it is...

Yeah I saw that that game. That was so weird.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    The Giants have won two Super Bowl's with Kevin "Killdrive" as their Offensive Coordinator and they STILL LOATHE him.

Jay Gruden would be a guy I would like to see brought in. Cincinnati has done well with Andy Dalton's limitations. Of course someone like A.J. Green helps a ton, but Gruden's helped find some nice young offensive talent there in Ohio.
    And who cares what tha Giant fans think? Anyone who watches the Giants games know that they try and score from anywhere, any time. I love their aggressiveness.

Jay Gruden is not a bad thought. But maybe too early for him to take on a HC job.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Payton would a great choice. I didn't mention him because he'll have a lot of offers and I don't think the Jets job would be the most attractive one. But yes an Offensive mind like his would be a great change from what's going on right now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets are sticking with Ryan, but if they were to make a change I really do not think this organization needs another trainee headcoach (we've had enough of that). Rex is now an established headcoach, so going elsewhere is going to cause an experience deficit.

There is a very short list of experienced headcoaches for the Jets out there.

Jon Gruden
    Brian Billick
    Jim Fassel
    Andy Reid
    Tony Dungy

Those are all I could think of off the top of my head, but there is no way this organization needs another trainee headcoach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex will be the HC next season.

We need to do the following and starting over with either a new first timer or a retread isnt part of it.

1. Cut Teblow as soon as humanly possible

2 Make GMac the starter in 2013. If Pickchez is unhappy, offer him a buyout to leave early or take the cap hit and bring in a vet willing to be a backup happily and get NFL money. Worsr case scenario..Pickchez is the backup and gone in 2014.

3. Draft a mid round developmental QB to be the 3 and become the backup in 14

4. Start Davis Coples Ellis and all the kids this week and next. Send Scott Pace Thomas Pouha Smith packing after the season

5. DON'T trade away any picks and DON'Ttrade up in the April draft. Take BAP with every pick

6. DON'T let the NYJ 2012 MVP Robert Malone get away. He's a keeper

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Rex will be the HC next season.

We need to do the following and starting over with either a new first timer or a retread isnt part of it.

1. Cut Teblow as soon as humanly possible

2 Make GMac the starter in 2013. If Pickchez is unhappy, offer him a buyout to leave early or take the cap hit and bring in a vet willing to be a backup happily and get NFL money. Worsr case scenario..Pickchez is the backup and gone in 2014.

3. Draft a mid round developmental QB to be the 3 and become the backup in 14

4. Start Davis Coples Ellis and all the kids this week and next. Send Scott Pace Thomas Pouha Smith packing after the season

5. DON'T trade away any picks and DON'Ttrade up in the April draft. Take BAP with every pick

6. DON'T let the NYJ 2012 MVP Robert Malone get away. He's a keeper

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

What about the Revis situation? Should they trade Revis, retain Leron Landry, and get some heavy hitters for the offense with the Revis money?