View Poll Results: Should we bring back Mangini, aka Mangenious, aka the Penguin, aka the Penguinious?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 38.76%
  • No

79 61.24%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mangenious

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The Mangenious

I'm watching Mangini break down some football plays on ESPN and I'm getting wistful. I also read an article in SI this week about how he's loosened up and acted more like himself, and not a phony Belichick clone, on TV.

And I remember that although he was a massive tool, he certainly wasn't a blowhard clown like Rex. And he was very good at evaluating personnel. Maybe since we let him walk he's grown into a more well-rounded, engaging individual. I almost miss him.

What do you say.. Who wants to give him another chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm watching Mangini break down some football plays on ESPN and I'm getting wistful. I also read an article in SI this week about how he's loosened up and acted more like himself, and not a phony Belichick clone, on TV.

And I remember that although he was a massive tool, he certainly wasn't a blowhard clown like Rex. And he was very good at evaluating personnel. Maybe since we let him walk he's grown into a more well-rounded, engaging individual. I almost miss him.

I don't know about him coaching us again, but I do think he's fantastic on ESPN and I think you're right that he seems like he's loosened up a bit. I think the shroud of being Belichick hurt him.

Where do we vote? I'm in.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Where do we vote? I'm in.
    Poll added.

Mangini has a 33-47 career record and 0-1 in the playoffs. And he's been away from coaching in any capacity in 2 years. yeah, sign me up.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Pass on the Penguin.

I'd like to see what Rex can do with Tannenbaum out of the picture and a real QB......

Jets Insider VIP
    Absolutely not.

All Pro
    ~~~dump~~~

All League
    Maybe as a scout or talent evaluator.

As a HC? No funking way.

He'll get a job somewhere eventually, he's too smart and too young to be done. It won't be here, though maybe if we were Arizona with the Arizona media it would be more possible.

Hall Of Fame
    First of all, he should have never been fired. He was a casualty of the Jets needing to make a splash and sell PSLs. His personality made him an easy target and scapegoat for Tanny/Woody. Favre completely took that team hostage with his injury and the media piled on Mangini b.c they did not like him. Notice how the media are all coming to the defense of Rex. Why? Because he makes their jobs easy.

He has grown a lot at ESPN. He has learned how to deal with the media and his colleagues at ESPN often compliment him on how much he has "grown". I truly believe he will be a successful coach in his next job if he gets a decent QB. I don't care how good a coach you are, if you don't have a QB you are not going to win.

That said, he is never coming back here.

Jets Insider VIP
    How bad is it when people are asking for Eric Mangini 2? Really short memories here. By the way, he sucked for the Browns too.

Jets Insider VIP

Wow. you really do hate fun.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    How bad is it when people are asking for Eric Mangini 2? Really short memories here. By the way, he sucked for the Browns too.
    Do you think Schotty really likes it in STL?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Wow. you really do hate fun.
    I've never denied it.

All Pro

Not ideal, but not terrible.

It wouldn't take an overhaul to get his D personnel either.

It will never happen though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Mangini has a 33-47 career record and 0-1 in the playoffs. And he's been away from coaching in any capacity in 2 years. yeah, sign me up.
    So if I tank 2 head coaching jobs, draft Vernon Gholston, Kelly Clemens and a Boar Hunter over umpteen other better prospects would that also make me a genius talent evaluator?

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    +1

Rex is a far better head coach than Mangina ever was or will be. He stunk it up in Cleveland and set that franchise back ten years - and right before that he went 4-12 and had another season which entailed the worst collapse in the history of collapses this team has ever had.

Practice Squad
    Wow, "He has loosened up"

No Thanks, Stick to your ESPN gig.

If it weren't for Brett Favre's biceps Mangini's teams are in the playoffs two out of three years, and if Pennington doesn't go down in 2007, you might say they would have made it in all three. Who knows. You know for a fact you can say they would have made it in 2008 though. Anyways, yes, I would take Mangini back in any capacity, and that includes coaching.