View Poll Results: Should we bring back Mangini, aka Mangenious, aka the Penguin, aka the Penguinious?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 38.76%
  • No

79 61.24%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mangenious

Jets Insider VIP
    Revisionist history is, I guess, A PROCESS.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Even though he has supposedly "changed", his record is what it is and I think alot of this game is players "buying in" to what a Coach is selling and I dont know how much of a salesman he can be with his history. Especially with this new breed of selfish, immature diva's.

Get back in as an asst. and see where it goes, but not as a HC.

(we'd turn on him after his first loss)

-

All Pro
    As a consultant or as a draft advisor to football operations yes. But no as coach. Keep Rex , bring in another GM or head of football guy with some experience throw money at Norv or another proven offensive guru and let's go from there. Get rid of the dead weight in the CS.We need some stability at HC. None of the more successful franchises play musical chairs with their HC position. So I say keep Rex and bring in a real GM and advisor who are on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If it weren't for Brett Favre's biceps Mangini's teams are in the playoffs two out of three years, and if Pennington doesn't go down in 2007, you might say they would have made it in all three. Who knows. You know for a fact you can say they would have made it in 2008 though. Anyways, yes, I would take Mangini back in any capacity, and that includes coaching.
    '07 team was a train wreck. Mangini alienated and lost Pete Kendall and thus the OL and our entire season fell apart.

A blind man could have seen Favre was hurt towards the end of '08 yet Mangina kept him in. If people are going to kill Rex for insisting on using Sanchez when he's healthy then how can we defend Mangenius for keeping in a QB when he was obviously hurt?

And our defense was always way too conservative under Mangini. Rex had almost the same exact personnel a year later and turned that D into top 5.

Give Rex one more year and offer a small fortune to Bill Polian or Ernie Accorsi. I'd even take AJ Smith at this point. He had success in San Diego.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 12-18-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Well he passes SAR's test of not being a rookie HC...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Mangini has a 33-47 career record and 0-1 in the playoffs. And he's been away from coaching in any capacity in 2 years. yeah, sign me up.
    This.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If it weren't for Brett Favre's biceps Mangini's teams are in the playoffs two out of three years, and if Pennington doesn't go down in 2007, you might say they would have made it in all three. Who knows. You know for a fact you can say they would have made it in 2008 though. Anyways, yes, I would take Mangini back in any capacity, and that includes coaching.
    Chad didnt "go down" in 2007. He was benched after a 1-6 record as a starter. So I dont see how you can say they woukdve made it all 3 years.

I always liked Mangini and didn't think he deserved to be fired at all.....He's even better now on ESPN and easily the most knowledgeable on there

I would personally take him again but that never happens

As for Rex, I really like most things about him....the team pretty much always plays tough and has heart which counts for alot in today's NFL.....He will need to figure out offense a little more and stop being so conservative in general when it comes to offense (aka not trying to win every single game with his beloved defense)......Also he is loyal to a fault

I think Rex stays regardless

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    As a consultant or as a draft advisor to football operations yes. But no as coach. Keep Rex , bring in another GM or head of football guy with some experience throw money at Norv or another proven offensive guru and let's go from there. Get rid of the dead weight in the CS.We need some stability at HC. None of the more successful franchises play musical chairs with their HC position. So I say keep Rex and bring in a real GM and advisor who are on the same page.
    Agree. I'd like to see Mangini back as a quality control guy in the scouting dept or something similar. Maybe as an assistant GM.

Cohen, Bradway, Tanny, all those guys need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    '07 team was a train wreck. Mangini alienated and lost Pete Kendall and thus the OL and our entire season fell apart.

A blind man could have seen Favre was hurt towards the end of '08 yet Mangina kept him in. If people are going to kill Rex for insisting on using Sanchez when he's healthy then how can we defend Mangenius for keeping in a QB when he was obviously hurt?

And our defense was always way too conservative under Mangini. Rex had almost the same exact personnel a year later and turned that D into top 5.

Give Rex one more year and offer a small fortune to Bill Polian or Ernie Accorsi. I'd even take AJ Smith at this point. He had success in San Diego.
    Agree in general, although wasn't Favre's torn bicep tendon not diagnosed until after the season? (Yes, I know he was hurt, but IRRC the story was Mangini didn't know how badly).

Yea lets get rid of a coach who hasnt had a losing season with the Jets yet for a guy who has a horrible record as coach and who many hated as a coach. Great Idea. He wouldnt come back here anyway. Rex should have one more year with a new QB. What do people expect when our two best playmakers are out for the year?

mangini built the team that Rex benefitted from and now is running into the ground. Personally I think that bringing him back and demoting Rex to DC 9if possible) would make this team much, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan24 View Post
    mangini built the team that Rex benefitted from and now is running into the ground. Personally I think that bringing him back and demoting Rex to DC 9if possible) would make this team much, much better.
    I am not sure how you could even think that. The only starters left from Mangini are Dbrick, Mangold, Moore, Keller, Pouha, Pace, Harris, and Revis.

Nostalgic notion. But that ship has sailed on. And I'm glad it did.

It's now time to bring in fresh meat to the Woody Johnson Slaughter House...A.K.A....the Circle Jerk Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm watching Mangini break down some football plays on ESPN and I'm getting wistful. I also read an article in SI this week about how he's loosened up and acted more like himself, and not a phony Belichick clone, on TV.

And I remember that although he was a massive tool, he certainly wasn't a blowhard clown like Rex. And he was very good at evaluating personnel. Maybe since we let him walk he's grown into a more well-rounded, engaging individual. I almost miss him.

What do you say.. Who wants to give him another chance.

He never should have been fired. He didn't want Favre, and the team would have done better with Pennibgton. Only people that deserved firing after the 2008 meltdown were Schotty, Favre and Tanny.

All Pro
    The stacked 2008 team missed the playoffs and collapsed due to some of the worst playcalling and gameplanning I've ever seen...... no way!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyB View Post
    The stacked 2008 team missed the playoffs and collapsed due to some of the worst playcalling and gameplanning I've ever seen...... no way!
    Did the legendary QB with the torn biceps have any role in that?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

Rex is a far better head coach than Mangina ever was or will be.
    That's just laughable.

Wrecks is nothing more than a clown.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That's just laughable.

Wrecks is nothing more than a clown.
    Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Rex could be a clown, but he's still an excellent DC. You as a Pats fan should know how much Mangini sucked as DC.