View Poll Results: Should we bring back Mangini, aka Mangenious, aka the Penguin, aka the Penguinious?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 38.76%
  • No

79 61.24%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Mangenious

Veteran
    He'd be a great GM but I think a terrible coach, and who's to say that Mangini would even want to come back after the way he was treated when he was fired? The guy got stuck with Favre and then the blame for it.

Rookie
    I'd love Rex as a DC on the Pats.With BB as HC and Josh handling OC the Pats would be almost unstoppable.

Rex is too much of a player buddy to be HC. He should have benched Sanchez long before now.

That being said, looks like Jets are stuck for another season. Maybe Sanchez has an epiphany next season and becomes a Manning/Brady/Rogers clone, but I just don't see it.

Jets Insider VIP
    As Director of Processing, yes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    He'd be a great GM but I think a terrible coach, and who's to say that Mangini would even want to come back after the way he was treated when he was fired? The guy got stuck with Favre and then the blame for it.
    I see the potential there for him being a good FO man.

I think Mangini got too hung up on the atmosphere of what BB created rather than understanding what BB actually does and the context. So it just ended up aping the "Patriot Way" without having the substance and foundation.

Player personnel may be the way he gets back into the game. I don't think he's cut out to be a coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    I am not sure how you could even think that. The only starters left from Mangini are Dbrick, Mangold, Moore, Keller, Pouha, Pace, Harris, and Revis.
    Moore was the Flim Flam BBQ Man not the Penguin..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Did the legendary QB with the torn biceps have any role in that?
    YES! with an injured QB, playing a subpar team with most of their starting D-line out injured, they decide to play "bombs away" in the seattle snow, instead of pounding the ball against a $hitty run defense.......

earlier in the year, playing the WORST run defense in the league, yet 2 good CBs (OAK) and pass rush let's pass all day, same with KC.

Then went on to suck in Cleveland too. 2006 was fun, but "mangenious" my @ss

Have said this 1000 times. Rex won with Mangini's team, and when the turnover of the roster happened, you saw the results.

At the time I wanted them to give him one more season..

Right now I want them to give Rex one more season..

I hate starting programs all over again.. ANd I really don't think we are that horrible a team outside of the most important position..

I also think Woody extremely disliked him for whatever reason... I also think he might have matured a bit as a person and might make a good coach again someday.. But owners don't retrace their steps so no way he comes back here.

I can see him as a defenisve coordinator working his way back..

But the way football is today does he want to??

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Have said this 1000 times. Rex won with Mangini's team, and when the turnover of the roster happened, you saw the results.
    Who was the QB Mangini left him with?? At least the Tuna left Vinny and Chaddy for Hermie and Mangini..

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm watching Mangini break down some football plays on ESPN and I'm getting wistful. I also read an article in SI this week about how he's loosened up and acted more like himself, and not a phony Belichick clone, on TV.

And I remember that although he was a massive tool, he certainly wasn't a blowhard clown like Rex. And he was very good at evaluating personnel. Maybe since we let him walk he's grown into a more well-rounded, engaging individual. I almost miss him.

What do you say.. Who wants to give him another chance.

No, thanks.

Rutgers was among the first to notice that Mangini coached "scared".

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    No, thanks.

Rutgers was among the first to notice that Mangini coached "scared".
    Maybe Richie C is sticking up for a fellow Italian??

I voted yes.

I just remembered how bad he was at gameday adjustments.

I change my vote to no.

Rex is the man. Can't blame him for being saddled to the wrong horse. He did win some games and make things exciting.

I liked him and thought he deserved one more year at the time. But that ship has sailed and there's no going back. It would never work. No chance.

He is great on ESPN I agree. I met him at a golf fund raiser this summer and I sat at his table for an hour talking about football. I couldn't believe how nice he was. And he is actually very funny. Very humble, too. Made fun of his mistakes to a group of strangers. Good guy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Yes, the good times...when Mangini won with Scott, Leonhard, Sanchez, Edwards, Weatherford, Woodhead, Hartsock, an' then the next year with Holmes, Cromartie, LT

Undrafted Free Agent
    Say what you want about Mangini and his win loss record but we were a respected organization when he was here. At least we weren't labeled as a circus and clowns.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Mai-Shu View Post
    Say what you want about Mangini and his win loss record but we were a respected organization when he was here. At least we weren't labeled as a circus and clowns.
    Mangini sucked as a HC and as a personnel guy

Probably sucks as an espn douche too but sucking is a prereq at that dump...

Take Herm Keyshawn and Berman for examples

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Mangini sucked as a HC and as a personnel guy

Probably sucks as an espn douche too but sucking is a prereq at that dump...

Take Herm Keyshawn and Berman for examples

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Well aren't you just a bucket of sunshine.

Talking MANGINI ERA PLAYERS WERE TOUGHER, MORE DISCIPLINED

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    First of all, he should have never been fired. He was a casualty of the Jets needing to make a splash and sell PSLs. His personality made him an easy target and scapegoat for Tanny/Woody. Favre completely took that team hostage with his injury and the media piled on Mangini b.c they did not like him. Notice how the media are all coming to the defense of Rex. Why? Because he makes their jobs easy.

He has grown a lot at ESPN. He has learned how to deal with the media and his colleagues at ESPN often compliment him on how much he has "grown". I truly believe he will be a successful coach in his next job if he gets a decent QB. I don't care how good a coach you are, if you don't have a QB you are not going to win.

That said, he is never coming back here.
    --Rex inherited a very good, tough team from the MANGINI era. i believe that piece by piece, it got taken down and there was an overall decline. Esp, in general toughness and discipline and quality of Offense personnel.
    -- We never really replaced Tomlinson, and Sanchez really needed that option.
    Also, Tony R. and Damien Woody were never replaced at that level of ability .

Rookie
    Not sure if someone posted this yet but I would consider Mangini for GM. Let Tanny handle the money contract side and let Mangini handle personnel side.
    Last edited by MysticalJet; 12-20-2012 at 04:12 PM.