View Poll Results: Should we bring back Mangini, aka Mangenious, aka the Penguin, aka the Penguinious?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 38.76%
  • No

79 61.24%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Mangenious

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by McElroid View Post
    Mangini was too young the first (and second) time around. Worked guys way too hard. It was penny wise, as evidenced by how prepared they were, but pound foolish in how it shortened their careers. Can't remember the specifics, but I also remember him botching a few in-game decisions. That said, when he went to the browns, they completely dominated the pats one game and would have beat the jets if not for heroics by cotchery, who I'm still pissed we let go. I'd like to see him coach again and think that he will, but doubt it will happen here.
    For the 5,000th time he wanted out..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I remember well. We went after Mason. Kept pushing him down the depth chart. Not saying he was a #1. But he is the kind of player I think the Jets needed.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    we really need stickies for that and so many other "classic" SOJF bloopers such as

Woody runs J&J

Jimmy Dolan would have done a better job

Jets would have been welcomed back in Flushing no strings attached

This year's team is the worst since Kotite / worse than Kotite's

etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Cotchery did want out. But that is only bc we kept slapping him in the face. We basically did let him go or force him out. He was the last leader this team had and we haven't had one since.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Cotchery did want out. But that is only bc we kept slapping him in the face. We basically did let him go or force him out. He was the last leader this team had and we haven't had one since.
    No one slapped Cotchery in the face more than Herm who took 3 years to use him.

Between age and injury and the arrival of Holmes Keller and Edwards there was no place to go but down.

All Pro
    I voted yes, but not for head coach. I wouldn't mind having him for junior GM in training though. If (as it seems this is not a very appealing job) we cannot get a decent candidate, I wouldn't hate the idea of giving Mangini a shot at running the team short term. I'd call it a interim position, and have it in his contract that he would need to defer to a new head man if a better option came along. He just might be the perfect ying to Rex' yang.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    we really need stickies for that and so many other "classic" SOJF bloopers such as

Woody runs J&J

Jimmy Dolan would have done a better job

Jets would have been welcomed back in Flushing no strings attached

This year's team is the worst since Kotite / worse than Kotite's

etc.
    You're one of those glass half empty people aren't you? In fact it seems like you're one of those people that would rather have no water than a half a glass. The team is no where near as bad as Kotite's. In fact it's better than most of the teams we had through the 90's. It's about an average team right now with major injuries on both sides of the ball, and no QB. If we had an average QB, Santonio, Revis, Keller, and a healthy Pouha we'd be SB contenders. I think you guys are more than a little over dramatic.

Sorry I didn't realize you were making a point. You, of course were right on the money.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 12-25-2012 at 07:46 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You're one of those glass half empty people aren't you? In fact it seems like you're one of those people that would rather have no water than a half a glass. The team is no where near as bad as Kotite's. In fact it's better than most of the teams we had through the 90's. It's about an average team right now with major injuries on both sides of the ball, and no QB. If we had an average QB, Santonio, Revis, Keller, and a healthy Pouha we'd be SB contenders. I think you guys are more than a little over dramatic. Sorry
    You couldnt be more out out of step, child

Since you may be full of holiday "cheer" Ill give you a pass for failing to recognize sarcasm / insults directed at the same old jerks

The bloopers are the dumb-azz, completely incorrect things SOJFs, of which I most certainly ain't, repeat 24x7 here, on the radio, letters to the editor, etc

Absolutely, this year isn't anywhere near the low point of the Kotite years, during which 1/2 the folks here werent even a gleam in their dad's 3rd eye

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm watching Mangini break down some football plays on ESPN and I'm getting wistful. I also read an article in SI this week about how he's loosened up and acted more like himself, and not a phony Belichick clone, on TV.

And I remember that although he was a massive tool, he certainly wasn't a blowhard clown like Rex. And he was very good at evaluating personnel. Maybe since we let him walk he's grown into a more well-rounded, engaging individual. I almost miss him.

What do you say.. Who wants to give him another chance.