Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Tannenbaum should stay

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Tannenbaum should stay

Because Woody isn't going to fire Rex.

I don't think any GM should be forced to come in and have a head coach forced upon them. This team is boned on the Sanchez cap hit and should keep him, make him compete this off-season for the starting job, then hand it to McElroy anyway.

The one who needs to go is actually Tebow.

This is not about Tannenbaum's skill. It's about Ryan. If the owner won't get on board with a new GM who wants to clean house, then leave the house dirty, let the bottom fall out, and come back in 2014 with a high 1st round pick, a new GM, a new head coach, and a promise from an owner to not meddle.

If Woody cannot agree to this, then go look at Dallas since Jimmy Johnson's influence and ability to override Jones left and understand that Jones knows more about football in the tip of his earlobe than Woody does. That's scary **** right there.

Ryan obviously has no idea how to differentiate between a QB who wins you games and one who doesn't lose them for you. He's also shown a massive lack of knowledge (as has Tannenbaum) on WR-QB relationships, RB talent levels, and what makes a decent NFL Offensive Tackle.

I personally think they should all go. But I would hate to see Tannenbaum fired and a new GM hired and have Rex forced upon him. It will lead to not attracting a top-tier GM, which will start another cycle of mediocrity.

This team needs rebuild and infused with young, new talent. The question is now how long will the Jets stink beyond next season. Next season is pretty much a given due to the Sanchez contract situation. Which I believe actually impacts the following year's cap as well (8.2 next year, 8.8 the year after or something, in deferred money).

I could be mistaken in that regard. Lots of weird stuff has been thrown around regarding his contract.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum sucks, and is the primary reason we are in the situation we are in and especially eesponsible for the nightmare we have next year with regards to the salary cap. There is no justification whatsoever to keep this guy, a guy who guaranteed Sanchez contract next year to smooth his feathers over trading for Tebow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Tannenbaum sucks, and is the primary reason we are in the situation we are in and especially eesponsible for the nightmare we have next year with regards to the salary cap. There is no justification whatsoever to keep this guy, a guy who guaranteed Sanchez contract next year to smooth his feathers over trading for Tebow.
    Don't think Tannenbaum sucks.. But I do think he should go.

Even if that means hiring from within, then fine. I think Rex is a good coach so definitely hire someone who is in favor of keeping him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Don't think Tannenbaum sucks.. But I do think he should go.

Even if that means hiring from within, then fine. I think Rex is a good coach so definitely hire someone who is in favor of keeping him.
    You can't judge the next GM properly until Rex is gone.

How you can support Rex at this point is also mind boggling. How could you think that Mark Sanchez gave you a better chance to win than both Tebow and McElroy when he's out there turning AVERAGING nearly 3 turnovers a game for 30 games.

THIS IS NOT A SINGLE HAPPENSTANCE GUYS.

Ryan is afraid of losing his job and coached like it this year with the faith he kept putting into Sanchez. It wasn't about winning or losing games. It was about keeping his job. Don't believe the rhetoric.

He knew what I write here is true:

No new GM will want to keep him. A new GM will want to bring in his guy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Add to all this, being strapped with Sanchez and his contract, mid-round draft pick, and no real blue chip QBs to build around, it would not be very enticing to a quality GM. 2014, when we can move on from Sanchez without being crippled by it, would probably go a long way towards convincing a quality GM prospect NY is for him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA. Yes, if we never picked up tebow, wed be 10-4 right now and in the thick of things. Get a clue!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Add to all this, being strapped with Sanchez and his contract, mid-round draft pick, and no real blue chip QBs to build around, it would not be very enticing to a quality GM. 2014, when we can move on from Sanchez without being crippled by it, would probably go a long way towards convincing a quality GM prospect NY is for him.
    I don't want no lame ducks here next year, no way!
    Even Westhoff had a rough year with all the players knowing it was his last.
    Jets players had no fear of losing their job, especially Sanchez.
    How did that play out?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    This has a flip side:

Any GM will be given a pass pretty much until he can get his QB. It's likely this is a 3-4 win team next year.

This is actually a good thing. The Jets could have the #1 pick in 2014. That could yield Clowney. Ellis, Clowney, Wilkerson, and Coples?

Yeah I'd do that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum has committed multiple fireable offenses this year. It has nothing to do with Rex, so the reasoning in keeping him makes no sense.

Let's just look at these firable offenses in no particular order this year alone:

-- The needless Sanchez extension
    -- The trade for Tebow
    -- Guaranteeing Wayne Hunter's contract
    -- Failing to sign an adequate starting RT
    -- Waiting until the preseason to address the RT position
    -- Failing to upgrade the WR corps and relying on a 2nd round rookie WR with 45 career catches in college
    -- Failing to upgrade the running game

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Because Woody isn't going to fire Rex.

I don't think any GM should be forced to come in and have a head coach forced upon them. This team is boned on the Sanchez cap hit and should keep him, make him compete this off-season for the starting job, then hand it to McElroy anyway.

This is not about Tannenbaum's skill. It's about Ryan. If the owner won't get on board with a new GM who wants to clean house, then leave the house dirty, let the bottom fall out, and come back in 2014 with a high 1st round pick, a new GM, a new head coach, and a promise from an owner to not meddle.

If Woody cannot agree to this, then go look at Dallas since Jimmy Johnson's influence and ability to override Jones left and understand that Jones knows more about football in the tip of his earlobe than Woody does. That's scary **** right there.

Ryan obviously has no idea how to differentiate between a QB who wins you games and one who doesn't lose them for you. He's also shown a massive lack of knowledge (as has Tannenbaum) on WR-QB relationships, RB talent levels, and what makes a decent NFL Offensive Tackle.

I personally think they should all go. But I would hate to see Tannenbaum fired and a new GM hired and have Rex forced upon him. It will lead to not attracting a top-tier GM, which will start another cycle of mediocrity.

This team needs rebuild and infused with young, new talent. The question is now how long will the Jets stink beyond next season. Next season is pretty much a given due to the Sanchez contract situation. Which I believe actually impacts the following year's cap as well (8.2 next year, 8.8 the year after or something, in deferred money).

I could be mistaken in that regard. Lots of weird stuff has been thrown around regarding his contract.
    GMs hold over a coach all the time. Holmgren did it. If the Gm/President has teh freedom to fire Rex, that's all he needs.

It's hard to say what Rex knows about QBs, because the Jets don't have any.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    GMs hold over a coach all the time. Holmgren did it. If the Gm/President has teh freedom to fire Rex, that's all he needs.

It's hard to say what Rex knows about QBs, because the Jets don't have any.
    GM's will do it, of course.

It essentially pushed back true analysis of the GM, extending their term almost by default.

That's my point.

How many carryover coaches have been successful following a GM change? How many GMs were fired before they were allowed the opportunity to bring in their own guy?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Tannenbaum has committed multiple fireable offenses this year. It has nothing to do with Rex, so the reasoning in keeping him makes no sense.

Let's just look at these firable offenses in no particular order this year alone:

-- The needless Sanchez extension
    -- The trade for Tebow
    -- Guaranteeing Wayne Hunter's contract
    -- Failing to sign an adequate starting RT
    -- Waiting until the preseason to address the RT position
    -- Failing to upgrade the WR corps and relying on a 2nd round rookie WR with 45 career catches in college
    -- Failing to upgrade the running game
    ... and don't forget his failure to address the safety situation until this past offseason

(edit) that was before this season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please understand:

I'm not advocating Tannenbaum stays based upon on merit at all.

I'm saying that you either dump both HC and GM or you keep both.

If you pull Bill Polian in after firing Tannenbaum and tell him you'd love to have him if he keeps Rex he'll probably tell you to go eff yourself.

Where as a lower profile guy could probably be strong-armed into keeping Rex.

From where I stand, Rex and Tannenbaum are equally at fault. Rex for sticking with Sanchez and Tannenbaum for drafting him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA. Yes, if we never picked up tebow, wed be 10-4 right now and in the thick of things. Get a clue!
    Not only was Tebow not helpful, just his presence was detrimental.

McElroy would have replaced Sanchez much sooner but Rex was saddled with the need to explain promoting Mac over the 'backup QB Tebow' (hahahahahahhahahah)

The Titans game would have been won if Sanchez was benched after 2 or 3 interceptions in favor of McElroy. As you said. We all know this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Please understand:

I'm not advocating Tannenbaum stays based upon on merit at all.

I'm saying that you either dump both HC and GM or you keep both.

If you pull Bill Polian in after firing Tannenbaum and tell him you'd love to have him if he keeps Rex he'll probably tell you to go eff yourself.

Where as a lower profile guy could probably be strong-armed into keeping Rex.

From where I stand, Rex and Tannenbaum are equally at fault. Rex for sticking with Sanchez and Tannenbaum for drafting him.
    Doesn't Polian have a job? Why does everybody talk about him like he's a candidate?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    posted in another thread but more relevant here

It's funny that Tannenbaum has this great reputation as a numbers guy / cap guru. Because when I look at all the bad contracts he's given out recently and how screwed up our cap could be next year, I'm amazed.

The contracts for Sanchez and Holmes are two of the worst offenders. But consider as well:

- huge money for Bart Scott & Calvin Pace who were good for maybe 1 year
    - making Revis an URFA for 2014 with no franchise tag possible
    - 10M for David Harris (who's been AWOL all season)
    - 3M for abject failure Eric Smith
    - guaranteed 2.5M for Wayne Hunter (!)
    - cutting 250K from the contract of a solid OL like Slauson
    - 500K signing bonus for Drew Stanton who lasted on the team one week

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody doesn't know the NFL.
    Woody knows PR.
    Woody knows the value of his franchise is plummeting.

Tannenbaum stays.
    Ryan goes.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point, it's almost certain that Tebow will be gone- that alone won't solve it; I have no reason to believe that Woody and Tanny will learn from that mistake- I'd say one of Woody, Tannenfraud, and Rex must go for things to start moving in the right direction sooner rather than later.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I think Rex is a good coach so definitely hire someone who is in favor of keeping him.
    I cant understand posters who feel this way.

What has he done to get credit for being a good HC other than getting to the championship game?

1) Over hypes his own players to the point where many believe it is detrimental to their development

2) Calls out other teams indirectly putting a target on his own QBs back

3) Is not believable with his reasons for moves and non moves.

4) Made Holmes captain

5) Dressed Tebow knowing he had cracked ribs and couldnt play.

6) Painfully stayed with Sanchez so long it became an embarassment

7) Curses out fans

8) Hasnt payed attention to the offense and special teams

9) Has made marginal development with only a few players

10) Has had two awful seasons along with two seasons where it appeared the JETS backed into the playoffs

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    dude get your head checked! you cant link rex with Sanchez, or tanny who are both the worst in the league at their jobs! You could be Vince Lombardi but if you have tanny as your gm and Sanchez as your qb your not going to have a very good team..

Blame Rex for not replacing Sanchez earlier? it was rumored he wanted to stick with McElroy but MT and Sparano wanted Sanchez.. We all know Rex is mostly a Defense guy, so he was wrong to listen to the offense expert - Sparano (what a joke) and MT. If MT gave Rex a decent backup (which he has never given rex) he would have pulled mark earlier, and probably even last yr. But MT has given Rex the worst of the worst, Mark Brunell and Tim Tebow.. You cant blame him for waiting to go with the 7th round pick 3rd stringer.. Sparano is a joke, he may be a good run OC (maybe) bu has no clue how to run the passing game, and had no clue how to use the wildcat.. Shotty atleast could..

Rex is a huge part why the Jets Defense has done so well.. He is the guy who leads the drafting of D and tells MT who to sign on D. (since MT has no clue about who to bring in on either side of the ball) and the defense has carried the Jets in his 4 years..

If we a offensive minded GM who knew what he was doing to find right players on offense, and a OC who knew how to run an offense this team will be pretty good again..