Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any serviceable veteran stop-gap QBs that we can bring in next year?

Are there any serviceable veteran stop-gap QBs that we can bring in next year?

A journeyman like Steve Deberg or Steve Beuerlein were.

I can't really think of any. I'm not sold on Flynn or the Backup In Washington.

I'd rather have a veteran that's been around to hold down the fort and simply manage the game until we can develop a young QB.

Rex just called Brunell to see if he's keeping in shape.

Jets Insider VIP
    Matt moore will be our qb next year. And he will play well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

Not a bad choice.

Practice Squad
    Alex Smith....... Can hold the fort and doesn't turn the ball over. That is everything Rex wants in a QB......

Quote Originally Posted by cnahas View Post
    Alex Smith....... Can hold the fort and doesn't turn the ball over. That is everything Rex wants in a QB......
    Won't be his call. As Rex and Tanny have only a few days left with this organization.

Jets Insider VIP
    Alex Smith will cost waaaay too much money. You can get similiar production from moore for much less.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Getting a Qb in here is a no brainer. Tebow must go.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cnahas View Post
    That was the QB pick that both Kris Jenkins and Schein wanted on Jets Extra Point..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    That was the QB pick that both Kris Jenkins and Schein wanted on Jets Extra Point..
    The 49'ers will probably go to the SB, if not win it, so sure, let's get the QB they got rid of to get there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Gmac will start and continue to be a winner

We cut Teblow as soon as possible....todsy would be good....

And bring in a cheap vet to compete with Pickchez for the backup spot.

If Pickchez is unhappy with that we take the cap hit and he and Teblow pack up and go out the door hand in hand (maybe with Morono too) a week from Monday

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Why do people want any sort of stop-gap QB? Is matt moore gonna help us?

We need to continue to draft QBs and develop them until we find one. Getting matt moore is no more of a help then simply playing mcelroy and giving him experience to hopefully be a backup to whomever we draft.

Alex smith isnt pushing this team to a SB, so any time or money we give him is a waste.

I would rather go 0-16 with mcelroy and be in line to draft a franchise saving QB, then go 10-6 with matt moore and lose in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Why do people want any sort of stop-gap QB? Is matt moore gonna help us?

We need to continue to draft QBs and develop them until we find one. Getting matt moore is no more of a help then simply playing mcelroy and giving him experience to hopefully be a backup to whomever we draft.

Alex smith isnt pushing this team to a SB, so any time or money we give him is a waste.

I would rather go 0-16 with mcelroy and be in line to draft a franchise saving QB, then go 10-6 with matt moore and lose in the playoffs.
    I don't see any day 1 starters in this NFL draft. The smart thing would be to draft a 2nd rounder, and let him sit behind a vet.

Drafting a top 10 pick isn't the only way to find a franchise QB. If you are truly talking about grooming a QB, then sitting behind and eventually winning the job from a veteran is the best way to go.

In this manner, you can also do it while winning games. There are plenty of HOF quarterbacks or elite quarterbacks playing in this league today that were neither top picks nor 1st year starters.

Quote Originally Posted by ytfootballfan View Post
    I don't see any day 1 starters in this NFL draft. The smart thing would be to draft a 2nd rounder, and let him sit behind a vet.

Drafting a top 10 pick isn't the only way to find a franchise QB. If you are truly talking about grooming a QB, then sitting behind and eventually winning the job from a veteran is the best way to go.

In this manner, you can also do it while winning games. There are plenty of HOF quarterbacks or elite quarterbacks playing in this league today that were neither top picks nor 1st year starters.
    I didnt say that any drafted QB needs to start this year.

Here are the current division leaders: Giants/Redskins, GB, Atlanta, SF, NE, Denver, Balt, Houston.

Matt Schaub is the only QB of a team on that list that wasnt a top 50 pick.

We need to use our first or second round pick on a QB, have them develop while Mac starts and then that player becomes the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post

I'd rather have a veteran that's been around to hold down the fort and simply manage the game until we can develop a young QB.
    How about Drew Stanton? The Jets signed him last offseason. However, when Tebow got traded for, he immediately to get out of his contract. Maybe he's interested in coming back now?

I'm certain Tim Tebow is gone, so why wouldn't he want to come back and have a shot at beating out Mark Sanchez?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post

I think Flynn has a morbidly obese Sanchez-type contract anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Won't be his call. As Rex and Tanny have only a few days left with this organization.
    God I hope you are right.

I think Smith is our best option for next year. But there will be a market for him. I don't think there are any QBs in the draft the will come close to the rookies we have seen this year.

As usual we are in the market at the wrong time. We suck at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Gmac will start and continue to be a winner

We cut Teblow as soon as possible....todsy would be good....

And bring in a cheap vet to compete with Pickchez for the backup spot.

If Pickchez is unhappy with that we take the cap hit and he and Teblow pack up and go out the door hand in hand (maybe with Morono too) a week from Monday

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Yup. That would be a good move IMO. IMMEDIATELY, probably 5 minutes after the season has completed, FIRE Sparano. Then, start playing hard ball with Sanchez. Cut Tim Tebow and sign say? Drew Stanton? A good veteran that will surely beat out Sanchez for the starting job.

If Sanchez doesn't like it? Tell him to GFY and walk him right out the door.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The 49'ers will probably go to the SB, if not win it, so sure, let's get the QB they got rid of to get there.
    I hear what you are saying but I think the pickins are slim.

And Smith is much better than what we have now. We are at the bottom of the league now. Smith is at least an average QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    WOW!! I can hardly wait for a vanilla QB back like that to run my teams offence. I would rather go with McElroy for better or worse. At least we drafted him. It might add some excitement to whats going to be a long road to recovery.