Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone please explain the decline of Sanchez?

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    How does a QB go from taking the team to the playoffs to looking completely lost and making mistakes that even rookies wouldn't make ? Is the curse still with this team ?
    He was never good. The rest of the team(rushing, defense, special teams) was great. They did just come off a 9-7 season in 2008 after all.

Sanchez threw 12 TDs 20 INTs and lost three fumbles his first year. Without the lucky breaks of the Bengals and the Colts resting their players the Jets would not have snuck into the playoffs. And Sanchez's awesome contribution through the 3 games of the playoffs? 4TDs 2INTs.

2011 he played ok. In the playoffs he had a 3TD game to eliminate the Patriots. AFC Championship game against the Steelers? 0 points in the first half and a fumble 6 right before halftime. In the second half he battles back against Pittsburgh who has a 24-0 lead. He musters a courageous moral victory in the 19-24 loss, setting the tone for the future.

You still think he comes up big in big games? Monday night was a big game. So were games 14, 15, and 16 of last year. Playoffs on the line and he comes up small. Real small. Two years in a row.
    Last edited by jxc; 12-18-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Follow the bouncing ball here....

He DOES NOT suck because he lacks confidence.

He lacks confidence BECAUSE HE SUCKS.

Don't say that, bro. He might read your post and it'll ruin his confidence and he won't be able to improve, bro. We need to say good things about Sanchez and send him flowers and make a national holiday for him so he becomes a good quarterback, bro.

Don't say bad things, it hurts, Sanchez has feelings too, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Don't say that, bro. He might read your post and it'll ruin his confidence and he won't be able to improve, bro. We need to say good things about Sanchez and send him flowers and make a national holiday for him so he becomes a good quarterback, bro.

It would be great if he sat on here like a geek and read all this dumb crap about him. Luckily for him he is counting his cash and banging models while we sit here and type a way. What a horrible life.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

I get it, and you are not going to get an argument from me, but..........
    A few weeks ago i let go of the fury and frustration about Mark.
    He is absolutely a bad QB, still (i know this is corny) he is a person, and seems to be a pretty good guy. My advice, just let it go. It feels good to actually have a little pity for Mark, instead of repeatedly bashing him over the head with insults. Hes just a person that doesnt have the tools to be an NFL QB.

Mark didnt trade up to draft himself, and he certainly didnt extend his own contract earlier this year. If you ask me, the criticism goes to the FO, about 90%.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Jets!

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    They gave him the guy that groomed Brees (Schotty)

They got him a great WR with an in season trade (Edwards)

They gave him his binky (Brunell)

Gave him a sure fire HOF RB with some tread on the tires (LT)

Gave him a SB MVP to throw the ball too (Tone)

Then they asked the kid to take the next step, and lead the team.

Couldn't do it
    All good points

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Mark didnt trade up to draft himself, and he certainly didnt extend his own contract earlier this year. If you ask me, the criticism goes to the FO, about 90%.

I don't mind that the Jets drafted Sanchez. They really didn't give up that much to get him. And the kid was from a name school and had some success. But the contract extension was an absolute bone-head idea. Tannenbaum should be fired for that mistake alone.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    They gave him the guy that groomed Brees (Schotty)

They got him a great WR with an in season trade (Edwards)

They gave him his binky (Brunell)

Gave him a sure fire HOF RB with some tread on the tires (LT)

Gave him a SB MVP to throw the ball too (Tone)

Then they asked the kid to take the next step, and lead the team.

Couldn't do it
    Every single thing on your list they took away.

That's why he's a shell of his former self.

None of this matters. Go ahead, take your shots at him, throw your low blows at him, Tweet death threats. Go for it.

Next season, he's on the team, likely our starter. Enjoy.

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I don't mind that the Jets drafted Sanchez. They really didn't give up that much to get him. And the kid was from a name school and had some success. But the contract extension was an absolute bone-head idea. Tannenbaum should be fired for that mistake alone.
    Couldnt agree more. To be honest, i dont know if the Sanchez or Santonio contract was worse. I dislike Santonio as a person so i may speak with prejudice, but signing him to a contract of that magnitude was a horrendous idea.

Santonio has never once put up #1 WR stats, and aside from his SB mvp, he is a run of the mill #2 or slot wr at best. The amount of money the team paid for him was completely unwarranted.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl View Post
    It would be great if he sat on here like a geek and read all this dumb crap about him. Luckily for him he is counting his cash and banging models while we sit here and type a way. What a horrible life.
    Yeah well his expectations just got lowered from Victoria's Secret models down to Haynes underwear models.

Just sayin'

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Every single thing on your list they took away.

SAR I
    I guess you missed, asking the kid to take the next step

He was never able to do it

Nothing would make me happier to see Sanchez turn it around

But for whatever reason, he couldn't take it to the next level

The team coddled the kid....he just doesn't know how to lead men

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    He's a coaches kid. He's the first one in the building, the last to leave.

Say what you want about his stats and his performance, I don't think anybody's questioning him as a person.

SAR I
    I agree with you on this. From my view it's all about his field vision and accuracy. When people say he makes bad decisions, IMO it's really due to him not seeing everything he is supposed to see on the field, and the only possible way for Sanchez to recover from this is to spend some time on the bench, continue to study, practice, and hopefully have a QB coach that can actually help him. Right now he is completely lost on the football field and there is zero hope of him turning things around in the current situation. He has got to go -- for the good of the Jets, and for his own good. If he is going to reclaim his career, it will not occur any time soon. He has to be re-built from scratch.

While more highly touted than Sanchez coming out of college, I have this weird feeling that he could have a career a little like Jim Plunkett's. Poor Plunkett was killed behind a terrible Pat O line. He was sacked 112 times in his first 3 seasons (and remember they were 14 game seasons and you could really HIT the QB back then). Plunkett needed time to figure things out and to be placed in the right system. By the time he got an opportunity in Oakland to start due to an injury, the game had slowed down for him and he really understood what he was trying to accomplish on the field. It took 9 long seasons before Plunkett turned things around and became an effective starter.

If Sanchez sticks with it and keeps his work ethic, he may learn more on the bench than he did being thrust into a starting role, and perhaps the next time he gets an opportunity the game will have slowed down for him and he will have little resemblance to the current train wreck edition of Mark Sanchez.

The thing is that Mark did not take the Jets to the playoffs. The D and the running game did(aka the O line.) The D is 4 years older and slower and regardless of Rankings, are not as good, especially against top tier teams. The O is crap. When the team leaned on him to take it to the next level, he failed and has been for almost 2 complete seasons. The truth is, Mark is not a franchise QB.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    How does a QB go from taking the team to the playoffs to looking completely lost and making mistakes that even rookies wouldn't make ? Is the curse still with this team ?
    it starts with Cavanagh and maybe Sanchez was never that good

Couldnt agree more. To be honest, i dont know if the Sanchez or Santonio contract was worse. I dislike Santonio as a person so i may speak with prejudice, but signing him to a contract of that magnitude was a horrendous idea.

Santonio has never once put up #1 WR stats, and aside from his SB mvp, he is a run of the mill #2 or slot wr at best. The amount of money the team paid for him was completely unwarranted.
    It's funny that Tannenbaum has this great reputation as a numbers guy / cap guru. Because when I look at all the bad contracts he's given out recently and how screwed up our cap could be next year, I'm amazed.

The contracts for Sanchez and Holmes are two of the worst offenders. But consider as well:

- huge money for Bart Scott & Calvin Pace who were good for maybe 1 year
    - making Revis an URFA for 2014 with no franchise tag possible
    - 10M for David Harris (who's been AWOL all season)
    - 3M for abject failure Eric Smith
    - guaranteed 2.5M for Wayne Hunter (!)
    - cutting 250K from the contract of a solid OL like Slauson
    - 500K signing bonus for Drew Stanton who lasted on the team one week

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I agree with you on this. From my view it's all about his field vision and accuracy. When people say he makes bad decisions, IMO it's really due to him not seeing everything he is supposed to see on the field, and the only possible way for Sanchez to recover from this is to spend some time on the bench, continue to study, practice, and hopefully have a QB coach that can actually help him. Right now he is completely lost on the football field and there is zero hope of him turning things around in the current situation. He has got to go -- for the good of the Jets, and for his own good. If he is going to reclaim his career, it will not occur any time soon. He has to be re-built from scratch.

While more highly touted than Sanchez coming out of college, I have this weird feeling that he could have a career a little like Jim Plunkett's. Poor Plunkett was killed behind a terrible Pat O line. He was sacked 112 times in his first 3 seasons (and remember they were 14 game seasons and you could really HIT the QB back then). Plunkett needed time to figure things out and to be placed in the right system. By the time he got an opportunity in Oakland to start due to an injury, the game had slowed down for him and he really understood what he was trying to accomplish on the field. It took 9 long seasons before Plunkett turned things around and became an effective starter.

If Sanchez sticks with it and keeps his work ethic, he may learn more on the bench than he did being thrust into a starting role, and perhaps the next time he gets an opportunity the game will have slowed down for him and he will have little resemblance to the current train wreck edition of Mark Sanchez.
    Good post.

I dont know Sonny, it seems like pocket presence and vision.....and i hate to say it, accuracy are traits that are better off hardwired than programmed. Sure there are ways to improve those areas, but is it worth it considering the payoff is questionable at best.

I was done bashing Mark 3 weeks ago, but the truth is the truth, he is not NFL starter material. More than that, after 20 something years, i want a QB that can win because of, not in spite of, dont you?

Practice Squad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBhi7jwOV4c

I think this game broke Mark, and he's never been fixed.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    It's funny that Tannenbaum has this great reputation as a numbers guy / cap guru. Because when I look at all the bad contracts he's given out recently and how screwed up our cap could be next year, I'm amazed.

The contracts for Sanchez and Holmes are two of the worst offenders. But consider as well:

- huge money for Bart Scott & Calvin Pace who were good for maybe 1 year
    - making Revis an URFA for 2014 with no franchise tag possible
    - 10M for David Harris (who's been AWOL all season)
    - 3M for abject failure Eric Smith
    - guaranteed 2.5M for Wayne Hunter (!)
    - cutting 250K from the contract of a solid OL like Slauson
    - 500K signing bonus for Drew Stanton who lasted on the team one week
    Ding, Ding.
    Craziness my friend. I actually didnt know about the SLauson slash, but i do know its tough to watch them try to force feed Ducasse on us week after week. I think the talent evaluators are way off, or just flat out stubborn, either way we are getting the shaft.

And Hunter.....its CRAZY!!!! Must be arrogance, because standing pat there this offseason to pay hunter 2.5 in hopes of a Sparano led O Line resurgence .

I want to know the details of how the extension begun.. Did Mark cry to his agent about how upset he was that jets tried to sign peyton manning? Then his agent went to Tanny and said "look mark is so upset, he might not play as well because you guys tried to sign petyton manning, so you should extent his contract to make up for it and make him feel better so he can play great this year and not worrying about where he will be in 2013"

I bet something similar took place, and MT was dumb enough to go for it..

Ding, Ding.
    Craziness my friend. I actually didnt know about the SLauson slash, but i do know its tough to watch them try to force feed Ducasse on us week after week. I think the talent evaluators are way off, or just flat out stubborn, either way we are getting the shaft.

And Hunter.....its CRAZY!!!! Must be arrogance, because standing pat there this offseason to pay hunter 2.5 in hopes of a Sparano led O Line resurgence .

Slauson had his salary cut by 20 % right before the 2012 season started, from 1.308 to 1.05 million. That's a big pay cut. And it's not like his performance had declined on the field. Slauson was the kind of guy good NFL teams are built around - competent players with reasonable or even below-market deals. Why the team would choose to alienate him I just can't understand. I know I'd be pissed if my boss told me I'm getting a salary reduction not related to performance. Good luck getting Slauson to resign in 2013 Mr. T.