Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike and Mike in the morning: Jets didn't have a clue what to do with Tebow.

Mike and Mike in the morning: Jets didn't have a clue what to do with Tebow.

They're talking about it this morning and I'm glad somebody finally got it and said it. I have been saying it since preseason and someone other than Bayless, Greeny, finally pointed it out, that unlike every other dual pass rush quarterback that's currently playing in the NFL the Jets were too stupid to figure out how to implement the spread option. Instead they had him run the same freaking Wildcat plays up the middle or placed him under center during the preseason.

Now before anyone chimes in with the typical, "can't throw" comments please realize one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL last year was Tebow. And the main reason for this is the same reason guys like Colin K, Newton, RG3 and Russel Wilson are completing passes at a completion percentage which rival Manning, Brady and Rodgers. Now granted they are much better passers than Tebow but the main reason for this isn't because these rookies are the surgeons the elite QB's of this league are, but because that's what the spread option does for you as a quarterback. It makes it really easy to complete passes when the defenses bites on the run, can't play the same pass defense schemes they can against a typical pocket passer because they have to commit one extra guy to your QB and either leaves guys wide open or in favorable man coverage match ups. Usually the 1 extra guy you commit to stopping the extra rusher, leaves your safeties and secondary exploitable to bombs down field.

It's a moot point now, but I'm just glad to see someone at ESPN is at least smart enough to notice this.

Jets Insider VIP
    You mean ESPN. aka the Timmy Tebow..worst QB in NFL history..manlove, public relations, promotion and overhyping fsn club

Congratulations though on being one of the 43 listeners nationwide to Bevisand Butthead in the morning and any of the crap on Timmy Radio Bristol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I don't care how much or how little ESPN likes Tebow. It's still the truth, and they've been the leaders of the "Tebow can't throw" bandwagon as much as they supported him but I didn't need them to tell me that. They have been playing devil's advocate the entire time if you ask me. I saw this a long time ago. and anyone that understands the nuances of a spread option offense and dual pass/rush quarterback should easily understand this. I'm just glad they're sharing this with the rest of the nation though because it needed to be said.

Veteran
    Ead

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think the Jets traded for him because they really thought he could help, especially since Sanchez hadn't really shown much. Then Tebow started practicing and they realized he is no good. If Tebow was good or they had any faith in him, the Jets would be starting him and not McElroy.

John Gruden is on now and saying the same thing. He's a spread option quarterback. Not a Wildcat QB. Not a pro style QB. Of course he's not going to be good from under center. But why try that in the first place?

The question is why trade for Tebow if you're not going to implement the spread option?

The only question was can the spread option work at the NFL level? The answer is yes. Once the answer is yes, there is no need to ever try to get Tebow to do anything other than run the spread option.

The fact the Jets tried what they tried tells me everything I need to know about Sparano and Rex Ryan's offensive prowess. They're sorry.

Well I am glad that the Jets did not have a clue. Anything that gets rid of teblow from this franchise is okay by me. The bonus is that a good majority of so-called "new" posters will disappear when tim disappears. And I cannot wait for that to happen....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ytfootballfan View Post
    John Gruden is on now and saying the same thing. He's a spread option quarterback. Not a Wildcat QB. Not a pro style QB. Of course he's not going to be good from under center. But why try that in the first place?

The question is why trade for Tebow if you're not going to implement the spread option?

The only question was can the spread option work at the NFL level? The answer is yes. Once the answer is yes, there is no need to ever try to get Tebow to do anything other than run the spread option.

The fact the Jets tried what they tried tells me everything I need to know about Sparano and Rex Ryan's offensive prowess. They're sorry.
    Hopefully you'll enjoy your adored Timmy next year in the CFL UFL or Arena League where there are other QBs wh o stink almost as badly as he does

And don't forget to take the rest of your cult with you.

See ya

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Hopefully you'll enjoy your adored Timmy next year in the CFL UFL or Arena League where there are other QBs wh o stink almost as badly as he does

And don't forget to take the rest of your cult with you.

See ya

I highly doubt that. If anything, everything I saw from McElroy beginning with his first pass in the 4th quarter which looked like a purposely dropped interception at the 2 yard line against Arizona tells me this is just another terrible decision in a long string of terrible decisions made by the coaching and executive staff of this team.

Tebow's not going into the CFL or UFL or wherever else you believe he belongs. He'll be in the NFL and the more popular the spread option becomes the more teams will be interested in giving him a shot to run it.

The good news for him is spread option quarterbacks get hurt quite often in the NFL, and he's most likely to get a chance soon even if he ends up being traded and a back up somewhere else.

I think in the end the Jets will end up looking like even bigger fools than they do right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    EAD

Jets Insider VIP

Spread option....lol...just say you love Timmy and have a boycrush on him...

Whether your a tebow fan or not, the spread option is going to grow in popularity in the NFL. Tebow will have a place in it. Whether it is as a starter or a backup (more likely) he will be in the nfl.

The guy is a football player, this is a guy that can be your 5th rb, 3rd or 4th TE, 3rd qb and play special teams. There is a spot for him on a nfl team.

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    Spread option....lol...just say you love Timmy and have a boycrush on him...
    I don't love Tebow but yea I like Tebow. What is wrong with that?

That doesn't mean I can't look at things objectively and I can't comment on the situation objectively. Does me being a fan of Tebow somehow disqualify me from passing educated, football based, arguments?.

I'll put up my football acumen against anyone if you'd like but from what I see on this forum, most people don't want that and those who hate Tebow have very few logical reasons to back up their dislike of him or any of his fans.

I've watched football and quarterbacks long before Tebow ever played a snap. I don't think he's a savior. I don't he's elite. I don't think he God's gift. I didn't even think he should start in this system over Sanchez and I don't think he should start in this system over McElroy.

I do think he was a damn good spread option QB in college who's in the wrong system here, has been misused, and given the opportunity he can do just as good a job running the spread option at the NFL level as guys like Wilson, Newton or Kaepernick. None of these guys are doing anything that different than what they did in college. I'm convinced of this.

That doesn't mean I can't look at things objectively and I can't comment on the situation objectively. Does me being a fan of Tebow somehow disqualify me from passing educated, football based, arguments?.

I'll put up my football acumen against anyone if you'd like but from what I see on this forum, most people don't want that and those who hate Tebow have very few logical reasons to back up their dislike of him or any of his fans.

I've watched football and quarterbacks long before Tebow ever played a snap. I don't think he's a savior. I don't he's elite. I don't think he God's gift. I didn't even think he should start in this system over Sanchez and I don't think he should start in this system over McElroy.

I do think he was a damn good spread option QB in college who's in the wrong system here, has been misused, and given the opportunity he can do just as good a job running the spread option at the NFL level as guys like Wilson, Newton or Kaepernick. None of these guys are doing anything that different than what they did in college. I'm convinced of this.
    There are posters here who hate Tebow with 2x the passion that they accuse his fans of backing him.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Well I am glad that the Jets did not have a clue. Anything that gets rid of teblow from this franchise is okay by me. The bonus is that a good majority of so-called "new" posters will disappear when tim disappears. And I cannot wait for that to happen....

All League

Get over yourself, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Get over yourself, mate.
    I'm over myself.

It's those that take on the arrogant and ignorant attitude that anyone that likes Tebow must like him for other reason than football or don't know football.

I'm a football fan first, before anything else. So I take offense to anyone who tries to discredit a solid and educated argument based on the fact that I like Tebow. That's retarded.

I don't think Tebow was brought in to throw footballs. He was brought in to sell tickets and merchandise.

I also think he might have a performance clause in his contract and that keeps him from getting snaps as QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    I don't think Tebow was brought in to throw footballs. He was brought in to sell tickets and merchandise.

I also think he might have a performance clause in his contract and that keeps him from getting snaps as QB.
    True, but I don't think he's in danger of hitting those at this point in the season. I think the biggest reason is they don't believe in him for the future, and they have no intention or perhaps even enough knowledge to implement the spread option to run for the entire 60 minutes of a football game.

McElroy is an easy fit in the Jets offense since it hasn't changed much since last year. The Jets have a few plays designed for Tebow and not enough for an entire football game. Anyone ever see his armband? Half of it is empty/blank.

I'm over myself.

It's those that take on the arrogant and ignorant attitude that anyone that likes Tebow must like him for other reason than football or don't know football.

I'm a football fan first, before anything else. So I take offense to anyone who tries to discredit a solid and educated argument based on the fact that I like Tebow. That's retarded.
    It's not worth the effort. Their hatred for Tebow isn't based on anything football related. The two biggest Tebow criticisms are

1.) Not an NFL quarterback
    and
    2.) He can't throw.

Well, he's played as a starting QB in the NFL, during which time he completed passes. These are facts.

I truly wonder if some of these "Jet's fans" would've been happy had Tebow taken the jets to a superbowl. Yet ironically, it's the fandom of those who don't blindly loathe the guy, that they question.