Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mort on Kay

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I don't think there's anyway Tanny remains the GM.

Seriously, Woody has his detractors, but he is consistent that when the fans want someone gone, that person is gone. It happened with Hacket, then Herm, Mangini, and Schitty. They leave it different capacities, either re-sign, not re-upped, fired, etc. but they're gone.

Woody reads the papers. He knows he has to at leats re-assign Tanny and give the reigns to someone else.
    for better or worse, i agree. he doesn't always make the right decisions, but he does want to make the fanbase happy, or less angry.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The biggest change needs to be Cavanaugh, they tried to do this last year with Haley and David Lee, both were in the building, and it didn't happen for whatever reason.

They need to finish the job this year, they need a new QB coach and a bonafied passing coordinator to work with Sparano.

I'm fine with keeping Sparano as long as Cavanaugh is gone.

I think too many are focusing on the fallout of the roster and blaming Tanny for injuries that are not his doing.

I have no problem with the regime as it is getting one more year to right this wrong.

I still think bringing in Parcells in some capacity can restore order with the front office as well, as he has worked with everybody that is currently on the staff.
    Still drinking the Kool-Aid Ray? Another year for everyone (Sparano and Tanny)??? Bring in Parcells (LOL)??? What planet do you live on???
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 12-19-2012 at 10:32 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Give Sparano Chade Henne rather than Sanchez and we're at minimum, 8-6

Blaming anyone other than our current QB for the problems of this team aren't really watching the games
    You guys are absolutely out of your collective minds. Granted the current QB is inept, we all know and agree with that, but how can any sane person defend the GM / HC / OC? Sparano along with Kotite the second sat there and told us during a TD'less preseason of embarassing proportions (and that is saying a lot for the pre season to be embarassing), that they were playing "vanilla offense" on purpose and would unveil Tim Tebow and a revolutionary wildcat style of offense never seen before during the RS, and, after all was said and done, had no idea how to use Tim Tebow, had no idea how to run an offense, and put forth one of the worst offenses the NFL has ever seen - and you want Suckprano back here?

Rex has to go
    Tannensuck has to go
    Sparano should have gone months ago
    Cavanaugh and the rest of the CS has to go. Period. We need new FOOTBALL people in this FO to rebuild this complete embarassing mess.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Nonsense. I keep hearing this drivel about woody being responsible for everything. I don't believe that at all. Was he on the bandwagon to get tebow? Probably but I also believe he would have deferred if the coach and front office told him no.

Also the Tebow situation rears it's head as a major reason for the jets problems. It's about reason 59 out of 60 and it's the perfect deflector for people that don't want to look at the real problems of the team.
    Nevermind copernicus. His opinion of Woody is 100% politically motivated. If Woody had worked in the Obama campaign instead of Romney's, he wouldn't be posting any of this garbage.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyB View Post
    "passing coordinator"?!?!?!

How sad is that....... "Passing" is part of playing offense, something that Sparano has shown that he SUCKS at running. This year was the most ridiculous unorganized hodgepodge mess of an offense I've ever seen, and yes that's taking the fact that Sanchez sucks into consideration.

Show this clown the door
    no kidding, we have a freaking "short bus" coaching staff. The HC is a buffoon who doesn't know jack about the offensive side of the ball, an OC who needs a "passing coordinator", a GM who is an accountant and can't evaluate players... HELP!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm all for change - but who else is out there to replace what they have that is an upgrade?

Unless they can bring in a big time GM/coach whats the point....I can't take another "up and coming" coordinator as a HC. Only established HC the team has had in over 30 years is Parcells for 3 yrs. If they can land a Gruden, Cower, Payton or another great coach I'm all for it.....but I honestly cant take another coordinator promotion.

I dont see a big name coming in to work with Woody and inheret the mess that is the 2013 cap.

However - one thing Woody doesnt stand for is irrelevance...I think he pulls the plug because he knows that if he does nothing he will have thousands of fans defaulting on PSL payments if they are not already.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sparano has to go. Despite what some on here think, I'd like to see 'Ol Norv as our OC next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Not only can you question the plays Sparano calls, but he has shown he can not be a play caller because it takes him so long to even call the play. Its comical watching the player substitutions and the team breaking the huddle with less than 10 seconds on the play clock. That tells me he just doesnt have a plan and isnt calling plays to set up other plays.
    This is a great point and happens every single game. He is clearly not the chess player type personality that an offensive coordinator requires. Don't even get me started on how many times we had to burn a time out getting Tebow in late for a 1 yard draw.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I really hope you never uttered a bad word about shotty.
    Schitty had far, far more to work with than Sparano has in this ridiculous season, including a new, as yet un-ruined QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You make a fair point. But try to look at the things Sparano does that are for the most part independent of Sanchez.

- The plays he designed lack creativity. We run the ball out of one formation and pass out of another. It becomes obvious to the defense.

- No rhytm to his play calling.

- How many times has the rhythm of the offense been interrupted by inserting Tebow in the game.

- The wildcat has been a complete and total failure. That was his claim to fame.
    All fair

1. I do think the running game has come around even though teams crowd the box like we have Adrian Peterson back there. Why worry about the QB, you can get him out of the game with a blitz here and there

2. I was and have been a Tebow fan. Many people use the excuse that Tebow has impeded Marks growth...BULL Tebow is a good team mate. This past game is the only game Sporano used tebow correctly. Leave him in for a series to do his thing.

This year has been a complete failure since Revis went down. The fact that we were actually in the playoff race until week 15 speaks volumes of how the team hung tough.

The offense needs a QB to be fairly judged. Mark just went down the crapper, the way of Joey Harrington

It's a damn shame
    Last edited by JonEJet; 12-19-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the argument that the fact that Sparano was dealing with the worst QB in the NFL should weigh in the evaluation of his performance and the fact that he was hamstrung by Tebow inclusion.

But I think he's gone as collateral damage when Tanny is ousted.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Despite the year the team has had, I think Sparano can be good.

He's had a rotating line-up/roster all year long, that's tough for any coach.

Why people refuse to acknowledge this is beyond me.

It wouldn't have mattered who was running the offense this year
    Injuries are part of the NFL season and every team deals with it. Teams have won games with all the injuries that have happened to them. And it's not really about just us losing games that is troubling, it's the way our team has played. So whether you want to blame the guy building the roster (Tanny), or the coaches not getting backups developed and ready to play, someone didn't do their jobs.

I can't even begin to fathom what goes through you head when you think the only thing we should do is get a passing coordinator to help Sparano. You're entitled to your opinion, just like the crazy guy in the corner is entitled to his opinion that he's Jesus Christ.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The idea of a passing coordinator is ridiculous. The way the NFL is structured now, any guy who is an expert at cooridantaing the pass will be an OC. Haley didn't come here because Pittsburgh gave him the OC job and not a shared job with Sparano.

Would love to see Norv brought in. I don't think he'll get another head coaching job right away and he would be great for Rex. Plus, I'm sure he'd love full offensive control he'd be getting. I can definitely see Harbaugh putting the full court press on him for Baltimore though so I doubt it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Don't you know? He spoke highly of Rex.

The only coach in the history of the nfl that ever spoke bad abut another coach was Rex. Ask Parcells what he thinks about Kotite or Rod Rust you will get praise.

Rex will not get a top shelf guy to come in as OC unless they promise to make him the HC if Rex is canned. Guys are not going to want to leave a solid job to come and help what may be a lame duck coach. A new coach can come in next year (2014) with his own guys and the last thing the new OC did o his resume was having McElroy and Sanchez as his qb and what may be an even more decimated Oline and TE position.

If anything save Sparono it will be that.
    Last edited by patman; 12-19-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Still drinking the Kool-Aid Ray? Another year for everyone (Sparano and Tanny)??? Bring in Parcells (LOL)??? What planet do you live on???
    **** off!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets need to hire a GM who is also president of the organization. A guy that lets everything run through him. If that person wants to keep Rex, so be it (I still think Rex is, at worst, a decent coach who can be good). But first Tannenbaum needs to go.

Tannenbaum's biggest mistake is his complete mismanagement of the cap following the lockout. He (like a lot of people on the board) expected there to be more money for the cap after the new contract, and when their wasn't, he was compeltely hamstrung. While it's hard to say why it happened, he was completely unprepared for a scenario where the cap stayed at $120M (roughly) following the strike. The extention of Sanchez was born from that (to clear up room for the season)

Things to keep in mind. If the Jets cut Sanchez before next season, he will count $17M against the cap next season, but $0 in 2014. If they keep him next season he will count $12.8M next season and $4.8M in 2014.

Believe it or not, I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Jets were able to buy him out. He has to know his time with the Jets is totally gone, and he (and his agents) might believe that his best shot would be to take a little less money, and go somewhere else like Arizona, Jacksoville, where he can be rebuilt. It's not a likely scenario, but a possibility. I have no concept of about how much money Sanchez actually gets vs. what he's owed against the cap.

My opinion, hire a president of the organization. Fire Tannenbaum (not just a demotion). If Rex gets fired, so be it. I can see him getting a new DC job within 18 months, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to be the head coach of a playoff team in the next 5 seasons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    The Jets need to hire a GM who is also president of the organization. A guy that lets everything run through him. If that person wants to keep Rex, so be it (I still think Rex is, at worst, a decent coach who can be good). But first Tannenbaum needs to go.

Tannenbaum's biggest mistake is his complete mismanagement of the cap following the lockout. He (like a lot of people on the board) expected there to be more money for the cap after the new contract, and when their wasn't, he was compeltely hamstrung. While it's hard to say why it happened, he was completely unprepared for a scenario where the cap stayed at $120M (roughly) following the strike. The extention of Sanchez was born from that (to clear up room for the season)

Things to keep in mind. If the Jets cut Sanchez before next season, he will count $17M against the cap next season, but $0 in 2014. If they keep him next season he will count $12.8M next season and $4.8M in 2014.

Believe it or not, I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Jets were able to buy him out. He has to know his time with the Jets is totally gone, and he (and his agents) might believe that his best shot would be to take a little less money, and go somewhere else like Arizona, Jacksoville, where he can be rebuilt. It's not a likely scenario, but a possibility. I have no concept of about how much money Sanchez actually gets vs. what he's owed against the cap.

My opinion, hire a president of the organization. Fire Tannenbaum (not just a demotion). If Rex gets fired, so be it. I can see him getting a new DC job within 18 months, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to be the head coach of a playoff team in the next 5 seasons.
    I think Sanchez would take 75 cents on the dollar, say leaving 2 mill on the table. that would also save the jets his roster and WO bonus of 500,000.
    But for anyone to expect or even think that he would take less of his guaranteed money is just wishful thinking. That may well be the last check he gets in the nfl.

I have no idea of what Tanny was thinking of about the cap going up or why anyone on this board thought so. The players union took a 7% cut in pay due to the lockout. The reason the owners locked out the players was they wanted to cut the salary and even the union recognized from the start that salaries were going
    down. They were just struggling to limit the downside.

And please about fans and posters belief in the cap, you have guys asking if it is possible to add a 10mill a year wr on the roster next year. These fans were led astray by Tanny for sure. Gee how do we pay Cro and sign Scott and Holmes and harris when we only have 5 mill of cap room. How does he sign revis to a 6 year contract with a 1st year cap hit of 4 mill. I was one of the patriot fans that thought no way in hell can this be done. Well he did it and now we know why. by Guaranteeing Scott and Pace salary when they are declining players and letting Revis void out of his deal after two years and leaving the jets with a 9mill cap hit when he does so. Guaranteeing Holmes and Sanchez without the ability to cut them due to any injury or performance.
    Last edited by patman; 12-19-2012 at 11:36 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point, who cares what happens?

RIP

S.H.E.S

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I think Sanchez would take 75 cents on the dollar, say leaving 2 mill on the table. that would also save the jets his roster and WO bonus of 500,000.
    But for anyone to expect or even think that he would take less of his guaranteed money is just wishful thinking. That may well be the last check he gets in the nfl.

I have no idea of what Tanny was thinking of about the cap going up or why anyone on this board thought so. The players union took a 7% cut in pay due to the lockout. The reason the owners locked out the players was they wanted to cut the salary and even the union recognized from the start that salaries were going
    down. They were just struggling to limit the downside.

And please about fans and posters belief in the cap, you have guys asking if it is possible to add a 10mill a year wr on the roster next year.
    Honestly, this is an area I don't understand too well. I'm not sure how much the Jets actually owe Sanchez, vs. how money is allocated to Sanchez on the cap. The cap cost to Sanchez for the next two years seems to be $17.6M. Now, I'm sure there are guarantees and signing bonuses in there which have been paid already, since they already owe Sanchez a minimum of $12.8M in cap space next year, the question becomes, how much actual money do they owe him.

If they can buy him out for $13M or less, I think it's worthwhile to get him off the books by 2014 without owing $17M+ against the cap in 2013 and he doeesnt get paid any less "real" money.

1. The cap didn't go down, it stayed the same.

2. The cap, in theory, should go up because of the significant increase in Televsion (something like 30% - 40%) the general thought was that would trickle down to the players because they still get a specific % of total media revenue (43%, I think).

3. I'm not sure what $10M WR you are referring to, but no. The Jets will not be doing that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i just get the feeling everyone (or most), including tanny, rex, sporano, sanchez are all staying, with the excuse of injuries. 2 best players, revis and santonio out. keller out most of the year. hill out a lot. sanchez with a new OC. etc. etc.

i think they are going to give it 1 more go, with a slight retooling. maybe with a new QB. Rex is so damn stubborn, that he thinks he can make it work.