Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Tannenbaum should stay

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Tannenbaum sucks, and is the primary reason we are in the situation we are in and especially eesponsible for the nightmare we have next year with regards to the salary cap. There is no justification whatsoever to keep this guy, a guy who guaranteed Sanchez contract next year to smooth his feathers over trading for Tebow.
    +1,000,000.

What Tannenbaum should say is: "I am a moron who never deserved this job, and wouldn't have gotten it from any competent NFL owner. I am now finally putting Jets fans out of their misery by stepping down, and out of football for good."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Rex being the HC in 2013 is any deal breaker for any GM. The jets in 2013 is not a great opportunity for a premier HC- no salary cap space, no QB and 1/2 the team is FA. Now in 2014, They may not have a qb, but they will have plenty of cap room and a likely top 10 pick if they let Mcelroy start. A much more attractive destination.

Plus Rex deserves another shot, even if his hands will be tied by lack of talent.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Tannenbaum has committed multiple fireable offenses this year. It has nothing to do with Rex, so the reasoning in keeping him makes no sense.

Let's just look at these firable offenses in no particular order this year alone:

-- The needless Sanchez extension
    -- The trade for Tebow
    -- Guaranteeing Wayne Hunter's contract
    -- Failing to sign an adequate starting RT
    -- Waiting until the preseason to address the RT position
    -- Failing to upgrade the WR corps and relying on a 2nd round rookie WR with 45 career catches in college
    -- Failing to upgrade the running game

+1, as I reach for the maalox

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    MT should go and Rex should stay. Problem as stated is that no GM wants to come in and inherit someone's coach. So I say keep them both for one more year.

Do you guys know how hard it is to be a winning coach in this league? Rex hasn't had a losing season yet and given the last two opponents he still might not have a losing season.

I'm 45 years old and have watched too many sub 5 win teams to think the world is falling apart when you have an 8-8 or even 7-9 year as an off year. Look at some of the teams with worse or similar records than the Jets this year. Some are much better than the Jets.

Rex consistently produces top defenses even when his star players get hurt and in my opinion if he had a game manager type QB this year who rarely turned the ball over they would be a playoff team this year.

Give me a top defense next year combined with an efficient, smart, low-turnover QB next year and the Jets might win some playoff games.

I'm not willing to toss away a good to very good head coach when I've lived through some really bad ones and also witness what most of the other teams in the league have as their head coaches. There aren't as many good ones as you think.

Blame the Sanchez/Tebow fustercluck - fix it by getting rid of both and move on. Good drafts, good coaching and low-mistake football wins tons of games.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    MT should go and Rex should stay. Problem as stated is that no GM wants to come in and inherit someone's coach. So I say keep them both for one more year.

Do you guys know how hard it is to be a winning coach in this league? Rex hasn't had a losing season yet and given the last two opponents he still might not have a losing season.

I'm 45 years old and have watched too many sub 5 win teams to think the world is falling apart when you have an 8-8 or even 7-9 year as an off year. Look at some of the teams with worse or similar records than the Jets this year. Some are much better than the Jets.

Rex consistently produces top defenses even when his star players get hurt and in my opinion if he had a game manager type QB this year who rarely turned the ball over they would be a playoff team this year.

Give me a top defense next year combined with an efficient, smart, low-turnover QB next year and the Jets might win some playoff games.

I'm not willing to toss away a good to very good head coach when I've lived through some really bad ones and also witness what most of the other teams in the league have as their head coaches. There aren't as many good ones as you think.

Blame the Sanchez/Tebow fustercluck - fix it by getting rid of both and move on. Good drafts, good coaching and low-mistake football wins tons of games.
    Best post I've read in days. Thank you!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So we're keeping everyone and letting Sanchez compete for starting quarterback which Rex will surely give him?

Yup. We deserve to wear bags on our heads.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post

What has he done to get credit for being a good HC other than getting to the championship game?

*SOJF irrelevance edited out*

Has had two awful seasons along with two seasons where it appeared the JETS backed into the playoffs
    So you get to the championship game 2 years running by being a bad HC?

not that anyone should care when wild cards win SBs how a team makes the playoffs, especially your "favorite" one, but the Jets "backed in" at 11-5 in 2010?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Best post I've read in days. Thank you!
    And it was my first post ever! So thank you.

Sanchez cannot be allowed to play QB for the Jets ever again. He's mentally shot and he can't be trusted. He has plenty of talent but for an apparently bright young man he turns into Mr. Stupid way too often. 50 turnovers in two years is lethal to any team. I just don't think you can turn a mistake maker into a non-mistake maker. You can make him better, but never truly solve the problem.

Which brings me to McElroy. His pass to turnover ratio was otherworldly in college. Most, if not all, of the stud QB's drafted in the last two years couldn't sniff his jock in their college careers when it came to taking care of the football. Look up their stats and you'll see. Now we all know that college football isn't even close to the NFL but I'm willing to bet he will remain a low-turnover, smart, good decision making professional QB. If he turns out to be a durable version of Chad Pennington we'd have a winning team. He is more athletic than Chad was and from what tiny (very tiny) samplings we've seen in pre-season and the one game against Arizona he seems to have a very nice command of the offense. He is organized and prepared.

Sanchez can be traded but it will yield very little in return and the cap hit will still be brutal. He can't be allowed to compete for the starting job next year, nor can Tebow. Both are wrong for what this regime wants to accomplish. Let them prove to the world that they are winners somewhere else. Good luck to them both but please, show them the door. Each season is too precious to screw around with mistake machines and limited skill players no matter how nice the stories surrounding them.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Tannenbaum has committed multiple fireable offenses this year. It has nothing to do with Rex, so the reasoning in keeping him makes no sense.

Let's just look at these firable offenses in no particular order this year alone:

-- The needless Sanchez extension
    -- The trade for Tebow
    -- Guaranteeing Wayne Hunter's contract
    -- Failing to sign an adequate starting RT
    -- Waiting until the preseason to address the RT position
    -- Failing to upgrade the WR corps and relying on a 2nd round rookie WR with 45 career catches in college
    -- Failing to upgrade the running game
    Going two years back are the asinine Holmes and Harris contracts too. 3 horrible contracts by a someone who is supposed to be a cap guru.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. He sucks and has to go. Get rid of all of them. They are clueless and suck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Fire the Tanny/Bradway duo. Fire Rex as HC but offer him DC. It gets tricky for Woody hiring management because these are the only guys he knows. Another hat trick will be unloading the Sanchez contract. This could be a contending team but nit without these changes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roller thunder you bring up some good point but not right bout not being able to bring in a qualified gm just because rex stays..Maybe the experienced FA gm who has options.. But no assistant GM, or other guys out there not a gm would ever turn down a GM position..

The money is 1 reason, plus its a step up.. Coaches come and go much quicker than GM's. Another point is he wouldnt be responsible for failure for atleast 2 years.. If Jets improve he will move to top of the league gm for saving the Jets.. if Jets do bad next 2 years its because of the mess tanny left..

We only need a offensive minded GM, MT couldnt evaluate talent on either side of the ball.. Thats why Rex is the guy who pretty much picks his D, wether its draft or FA. and look at Jets defense before and after rex's arrival, its been pretty dam good.. Why has the offense been so bad? because MT has been shouldering the offense draftin/signing.. ohh and we have had 2 weak OC's.

There must be plenty of offensive minded GM's available, who besides the pay increase, gm status, a legit shot at the playoffs.. Even if he signs a 3 year deal, and leaves he will get the recognition.. He wont get fired, since he will get a pass for 2 years, then in 3rd yr woody has to give him a final chance..

Rex is a good HC, players play hard for him.. Even after 3-6 he got them to fight..#6 ruined this year.. he is very strong on D, he just hasnt got any

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    So you get to the championship game 2 years running by being a bad HC?

not that anyone should care when wild cards win SBs how a team makes the playoffs, especially your "favorite" one, but the Jets "backed in" at 11-5 in 2010?
    You get there by inheriting an excellent foundation, roster and culture set up by a superior HC ( aka Mangini )

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mangini revisionist history is always fun

Sucked donkey balls as a HC here and in Cleveland

Traded the fifth pick in the draft for a meh Center and three scrubs (Elam Coleman and Ratliff)

And fron all reports was the one who pushed whined and demanded that the Jets select HOFer Vernon Gholston.in 2008

Laughable undeserved admiration

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2