Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: PSL Exodus is coming.....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fireman Ed said he paid for his PSLs, part of reason he is in cheap section. But he got four row one seats in endzone in 2.5K PSL sections. Those PSLs are worth 3x to 5x what he paid. Row one 2.5k LLEZ seats were so widely underpriced I would have bought all of them in a second!!

Fireman Ed does get paid over 100K a year for a few commercials and speaking engagements. Not bad for showing up eight times a year to a four hour game. Also the bigger issue I have with him is he is on 100% tax free disability pension and free medical for life from being a retired fireman. As a NYS state resident I get more of a tax hit from fireman ed than as a season ticket holder. Does not look disabled to me.

Back to tickets. Bottom line here are how defaults will stack up short term.

Paid off PSLs, no defaults, sure you might sell them cheap or give them them to someone else, but that does not effect Jets.

PSLs on five year plan who made 2012 11-1-12 PSL payment, no worries here too much skin in game

PSLs on 15 year plan that made 11-1-12 payment, no worries for now. I am sure Jets will do big push PSL holders get to some superbowl type events to get them to pay 11-1-13 PSL payment or something.

PSLs that did not make 11-1-12 payment. Jets have til season ticket money is due to convince folks to stay, Lower interest rate, free parking, call it Sandy relief, defer one year PSL payment whatever. Jets might be able to still retain 10-40% of this crowd.

PSLs that did not make 11-1- 12 payment and did not pay for 13 season tickets. That is hard core default population Jets need to deal with in spring.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkrotraz View Post
    Fireman Ed does get paid over 100K a year for a few commercials and speaking engagements.
    Link?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Link?
    Back in 2009 Ed was on a radio interview I was listening too, he said he paid for PSLs himself and seasontickets and Jets directly pay him nothing.

But he said Jets will call him and say Pizzahut or something will pay him to be in a commercial as Fireman Ed in 2009 it was just Pizzahut, but when Jets were in playoffs in 2010 and 2011 he did a bunch of Pepsi type and Pizza Hut commercials and he gets paid for that.

He said he did not get paid to promote new stadium and never gets paid for Jets appearances. But if it is a commercial or non jet event and you ask him he will charge you. He said around 100K is most he makes.

He said unless you are saying he uses that "pizza hut" money to buy his tickets and PSLs he pays his own way at the stadium. Does not want to be a corporate mascot or shill for Jets. But he does get paid for non Jets things, and he should.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fireman Ed said he paid for his PSLs, part of reason he is in cheap section. But he got four row one seats in endzone in 2.5K PSL sections. Those PSLs are worth 3x to 5x what he paid. Row one 2.5k LLEZ seats were so widely underpriced I would have bought all of them in a second!!

Fireman Ed does get paid over 100K a year for a few commercials and speaking engagements. Not bad for showing up eight times a year to a four hour game. Also the bigger issue I have with him is he is on 100% tax free disability pension and free medical for life from being a retired fireman. As a NYS state resident I get more of a tax hit from fireman ed than as a season ticket holder. Does not look disabled to me.

Paid off PSLs, no defaults, sure you might sell them cheap or give them them to someone else, but that does not effect Jets.

PSLs on five year plan who made 2012 11-1-12 PSL payment, no worries here too much skin in game

PSLs on 15 year plan that made 11-1-12 payment, no worries for now. I am sure Jets will do big push PSL holders get to some superbowl type events to get them to pay 11-1-13 PSL payment or something.

PSLs that did not make 11-1-12 payment. Jets have til season ticket money is due to convince folks to stay, Lower interest rate, free parking, call it Sandy relief, defer one year PSL payment whatever. Jets might be able to still retain 10-40% of this crowd.

PSLs that did not make 11-1- 12 payment and did not pay for 13 season tickets. That is hard core default population Jets need to deal with in spring.
    do you have any proof that would support these accusations youmade against fireman ed? link or 2 or 3? thanks

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

do you have any proof that would support these accusations youmade against fireman ed? link or 2 or 3? thanks

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

do you have any proof that would support these accusations you made against fireman ed? link or 2 or 3? thanks

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    do you have any proof that would support these accusations you made against fireman ed? link or 2 or 3? thanks
    I am not accusing him of anything. I said he does not get paid by jets. Did you think he does pizza hut commercials for free.

I can look around, but it was a sports radio show he was on I was listening to it was not in print.

He has said numerous times he does not get paid by Jets in lots of links. But only on that radio show did I hear he gets paid to do commericals for non jets things. Big deal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see links where these posters are saying Fireman Ed DOES get paid by the Jets. It`s clear to me he doesn`t get paid. If he did get paid, he`d be on the field every game and not in crappy seats. As for those other mascots mentioned(Philly and Cheatman)? They are employed by the teams to play those characters. Those characters can be one, or a multiple of people since their faces are never shown. It`s just a part-time job for some kids to make a few bucks during the season. Totally different than what Ed was doing.

But as well know here, those who say otherwise are always right. They continuosly tell themselves they are right and everyone else is wrong that they actually believe themselves now. LOL

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Link?
    Some of the less-than-pleasant facts about Fireman Ed including suing the city, being accused of handing out bogus parking tickets, calling in sick for 30 days at a time repetitively, and taking disability from taxpayers while being hoisted on shoulders and jumping around at football games. Enjoy:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...out-a-big-one/

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    I have to disagree with you on upper deck ticket prices. PSL or no PSL let's be honest would you pay $125 for upper prime seats in row 26 between the 40s? $125 for a corner end zone row 1 seat.

I have upper deck seats yea I'm lucky no PSL and I'll pay the bill because well it's part of being a part of "the club" but I can't say it's a good value anymore.
    The Jets lowered upper deck ticket prices from $100 to $75 and $50 depending on the seating location last season. Not sure you'd want to compromise your view for a few bucks, but it's an option the Jets have created to help solve the disparity of views up there.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    My biggest complain about the new stadium is the type of fan it has attracted.

I know there has been references to "burpers" "farters" and "guys with 1980s music blaring."

Sure some of them are gone but instead you have 25 year old Gino from Staten Island blaring Avici in the parking lot funnelling beers and having a roid rage. Football flying hitting cars and just a lack of courtesy in the lots and inside the stadium.

I am sure in some areas of the stadium things have gotten better but the lower level end zones and upper deck can be a zoo at times.
    No question that the offspring of the disgusting burping farting tailgating 80's fans have picked up some of their father's traits.

But someday they'll want a good job and a clean girlfriend and so to fit in with the rest of the PSL upper-crust, they'll act their age and drop the Vinny Barbarino impersonation.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Some of the less-than-pleasant facts about Fireman Ed including suing the city, being accused of handing out bogus parking tickets, calling in sick for 30 days at a time repetitively, and taking disability from taxpayers while being hoisted on shoulders and jumping around at football games. Enjoy:

SAR I

And he does not even drive a BMW. How unamerican

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Not speaking for SAR because God knows he can do that himself but IMO the distinction is that SAR paid for the privileges of doing what he wants with his tickets and being a critic whereas the Fireman was the Jet mascot sitting in comped lower level seats and getting other perks like road trip hosting and on field speaking gigs thus had little or no right to up and quit on his gracious hosts in the middle of a season without even allowing the team to find a replacement mascot. You don't see the philly phanatic or patriot pat or Mr Met turning on their teams when they experience bad seasons
    Precisely.

And if you look past all the Fireman Ed drama, you're left with a guy that has made himself the mascot, made a human being into the stuffed animal. When that happens, he has an obligation to the children and others who like him and view him as the fun face of the franchise.

Like you said, Mr. Met can't march up the stands and leave the stadium cursing the team and putting out a press release. Neither should Mr. Jet.

He's gone, he's never being invited back, the stupid chant was as passe as "The Wave", and the stadium isn't filled by blue collar types with high school educations anymore. Fireman Ed was a quaint throwback to old times. We'll have a nice stuffed airplane for the kids to admire next season, put a nail in the coffin and keep the lid shut tight.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not accusing him of anything. I said he does not get paid by jets. Did you think he does pizza hut commercials for free.

I can look around, but it was a sports radio show he was on I was listening to it was not in print.

He has said numerous times he does not get paid by Jets in lots of links. But only on that radio show did I hear he gets paid to do commericals for non jets things. Big deal.
    Fireman Ed personal appearances (call for fees):

http://bios.athletepromotions.com/sp...fireman-ed.php

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Band View Post
    I would like to see links where these posters are saying Fireman Ed DOES get paid by the Jets. It`s clear to me he doesn`t get paid. If he did get paid, he`d be on the field every game and not in crappy seats. As for those other mascots mentioned(Philly and Cheatman)? They are employed by the teams to play those characters. Those characters can be one, or a multiple of people since their faces are never shown. It`s just a part-time job for some kids to make a few bucks during the season. Totally different than what Ed was doing.

But as well know here, those who say otherwise are always right. They continuosly tell themselves they are right and everyone else is wrong that they actually believe themselves now. LOL

Fireman Ed didn't need to be paid by the Jets to be paid by the Jets.

Just by taking photos with the guy, referring to him at press conferences, and giving him a Row 1 seat near the CBS TV cameras, they enabled him to get paid by his affiliation.

He was selling an iPhone App, himself for personal appearances, TV commercials, radio spots, magazine ads. That's being paid by the Jets whether Woody signs the checks or not.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 12-31-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Precisely.

And if you look past all the Fireman Ed drama, you're left with a guy that has made himself the mascot, made a human being into the stuffed animal. When that happens, he has an obligation to the children and others who like him and view him as the fun face of the franchise.

Like you said, Mr. Met can't march up the stands and leave the stadium cursing the team and putting out a press release. Neither should Mr. Jet.

He's gone, he's never being invited back, the stupid chant was as passe as "The Wave", and the stadium isn't filled by blue collar types with high school educations anymore. Fireman Ed was a quaint throwback to old times. We'll have a nice stuffed airplane for the kids to admire next season, put a nail in the coffin and keep the lid shut tight.

SAR I
    Ed has PSL seats in row one just like you. He will be there next year. Trouble is he cant be fired and since he owns those seats you cant stop him from coming to games or wearing a hat.

He shall be back but with a Bruce Harper Jersey next year

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    All the earth — or at least those living in a frenzied parallel universe known as Jets fandom — might view the 6-foot-1, 235-pound retired New York City fireman as a talisman for regaining lost Super Bowl glory, a raging, one-man booster club for a once-storied football franchise on the verge of toppling doubt.

But Edwin M. Anzalone, known by Gang Green followers far and wide as Fireman Ed, might be overcompensating for a secret he keeps hidden behind his weekly bouts of Sunday bluster: He views himself as a bit of a bad luck charm.

At least as far as road games go.

Take the American Football Conference championship game in Miami, in 1983. Fireman Ed was there. The Jets were crushed 14-0 when the Orange Bowl morphed into a mud bowl.

Sixteen years later? In 1999? When the Jets reached the same level of playoff action? Yep, Fireman Ed was there again. His chant — “J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!’’ — disappeared into so much Rocky Mountain air as his team’s early lead vanished in a swirl of Bronco passes and touchdowns at Mile High Stadium.

So this time, Mr. Anzalone, 50, has decided not to go to Indianapolis this weekend to watch the Jets face Peyton Manning.

Instead, he will keep his firefighter-turned-football helmet out of view, at home in East Rutherford, N.J., where he lives a few miles from the Meadowlands. And his No. 42 jersey, the one he wears in honor of Bruce Harper, the former player who captured his devotion as his fanaticism was first taking root? It will be home, too.

And that is where he will be — with the front door to his house barred to all but those who watched the game with him there on TV last Sunday, when the Jets beat the San Diego Chargers and earned the right to take on the Colts.

“I’m superstitious,” said Mr. Anzalone. “They cannot give me enough money to go. I just feel like I don’t want anything to go wrong.”

Speaking of money, Mr. Anzalone said that “everybody thinks” his fanaticism had earned a paycheck from the team’s owners. But that is hogwash, he said. In fact, he said, the idea of being bought would be a further curse.

“How could you take money to cheer?” he said. “You’d be a fraud.”

In the next breath, however, he did admit that he has earned some money on commercial endorsements, specifically for Budweiser and Pizza Hut.

“I don’t mind a commercial or two,” he said. And hey, other corporations used his image and did not pay him, he acknowledged.

In a rambling telephone interview on Tuesday evening, it was impossible to see Fireman Ed’s facial expressions or gauge his mood from his body language, something he has come to rely heavily upon to communicate with the masses from his season-ticket seats in Section 134, near the 15-yard line.

But in tones strong and plaintive, and sometimes sweet, and with a linguistic manner alternately ironic, sentimental and tinged by a hint of bitterness, he expounded generously on his life’s twin passions: football, and firefighting.

Fireman Ed on firefighting: He loved the job; he sustained his share of injuries; he hated to leave; he finds it hard to talk about (though apparently not that hard).

“I hurt plenty of things in different fires in different times in my career,” he said. “We weren’t playing tiddlywinks.”

Mr. Anzalone joined the Fire Department in September 1987. He retired 20 years later, on the button, in September 2007.

He said he was forced out — “The doctor said I could not be a firefighter anymore; I could not fight fires anymore; that broke my heart” — and retired on a disability pension. He had knee surgery in 1997, he said. Before that, he had back and neck injuries.

“Fortunately, I am able to walk,” he said. “All real. Not made up. Real. Pictures don’t lie, brother. Thank God I’m walking around.”

The fires burned hot. Working in Harlem, in Engine 69 and Ladder 28, he saw many of them. He got a medal from Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg for helping to pull a 300-pound man out of a fire.

“You never do it alone,” he said. “I had plenty of help.”

Looking back, he said, it was the times “that we were not able to get to people” that he could not shake.

“They bother you more than the ones you get to,” he said. “You wish you could have gotten them out. You make every effort in your world to get those people, and sometimes it just doesn’t happen. The fire is too widespread.”

He paused, then added: “I don’t like to get into too many fire stories, man.”

He had a few brushes with controversy. He was among a group of firefighters who lodged a federal lawsuit over being transferred after racking up 30 days or more of line-of-duty medical absences in a string of years. He was sent to the far reaches of City Island, but he said he took a bullet of sorts as a soldier in a battle the union still wages against management.

“Listen to me very carefully now,” he said, his voice lowering. “I worked very hard at what I did; I lived what I did, and you get hurt when you love to work at a busy company; that is the way it works.”

He paused. He cursed. “Line of duty injuries is not chronic injuries.”

Another time, while he was on “light duty” after an injury, he got in some hot water for ticketing unmarked police cars that were too close to fire hydrants. His excuse? They did not display official placards denoting their importance.

“I have nothing but respect for those guys,” he said of his brothers with badges, the police officers of New York.

Okay, so football?

He was a fan going back to when he was a kid, the youngest of five siblings who grew up in College Point, Queens. His dad was a baker. His uncles were firefighters.

One of his older brothers, Frank, got Jets season tickets in 1975, and began taking him to games.

“Who knew that years later, I would become Fireman Ed,” he said.

He fell into the role accidentally. Once, at an away game in Buffalo, a firefighter friend from Engine 225 in Brooklyn donned an old green-colored departmental helmet.

“I said, `I want to wear that at the next game,’” he said. “And I did, and it started to steamroll.”

That was around 1991. A sports announcer from ESPN coined the nickname. He was easily seen in clips of the games, hoisted upon his brothers’ shoulders, screaming maniacally. Now, he’s so famous he writes a diary for The New York Daily News.

But the fame has brought him closer scrutiny.

Somebody went back and found him dressed in a Miami Dolphin jersey in an old high school yearbook photo. Aha, some said: he’s a fraud. But Mr. Anzalone said he was just a teenager looking for a winner.

“Listen,” he said. “I am a kid. What do you want from me?”

Bitter? No. Resentful at people nitpicking his past? Nah.

“Whatever, man,” he said. “It don’t bother me. If you’re flabbergasted over me, go ahead. I am just a regular guy.”

================================================== ================

so, whats wrong with the article? I`m not a fan of Ed but, I see nothing wrong with what he says or did in the past.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://bios.athletepromotions.com/at...e=Fireman%20Ed

Sar you should book him for opening day at Tail Gate Joes BBQ so we can throw stuff at him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    That has nothing to do with whether or not he gets paid to be the "Fireman Ed" character, and it also has nothing to do with if he gets his tickets and PSL's comped by the Jets, or if they're paid in full.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://bios.athletepromotions.com/at...e=Fireman%20Ed

Sar you should book him for opening day at Tail Gate Joes BBQ so we can throw stuff at him.
    I LOVE that idea!

I'm sure that for $200 he'll allow us to put him in a dunk-tank full of urine, throw balls at the target as we play Bad Company on an 8 Track player.

But I won't use Tailgate Joe out of principle. That guy is no good.

SAR I