Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Would Do at QB For 2013

What I Would Do at QB For 2013

1. I would find some way to cut Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow. Get them both off the roster, clear the air, prepare to move on as a Franchise.

2. I would announce an Open Competition for the QB Job in 2013.

3. I would retain McElroy.

4. I would draft one of the three in my signature. All should be available in the 2nd to 5th rounds, at current projections. I would NOT try and trade up or draft any QB in the first round in 2013.

5. I would NOT, repeat NOT, bring on board any recycled former-bust or never-was Veterans. No Alex Smith. No Chad Henne. No Matt Moore. No one like that. It's not an answer.

6. I would NOT trade multiple draft picks for someone elses version of Mark Sanchez. I.e. No Matt Flynn, no Alex Smith, No Mike "Dogkiller headache" Vick. They are not an answer.

7. I would use a 7th or an UDFA spot to aquire the best available QB at that point still available.

So, my 2013 QB Roster:

1. Greg McElroy
    2. Draft Pick QB #1
    3. UDFA/7th Round Draft Pick QB

Play out 2013 with youth at the QB position, best player wins the job in Camp/Pre-season and go.

Revisit the position in 2014, when there may (but may not) be a more legitimate Draft Class should it be needed.

In support of this, I would instead work to build the pieces around the QB 9since no elite or potentially elite QB is available in 2013).

Draft at least one RB, Two WR's, one TE and one O-Lineman.

2013 Offense then would look like:

QB -- McElroy/DraftPick/UDFA
    RB -- Draft Pick, Powell, McKnight
    WR -- Holmes, Edwards, Hill, Kerley, Draft Pick, Draft Pick
    TE -- Cumberland, Reuland, Draft Pick
    O-Line -- Same as Today, with a new Draft Pick working behind the Weakest Link. Vlad Cut.

Primary resigning and FA needs (if possible) would be Safety, and Linebacker. The Defense must take the hit (I think it can) to help the Offense get closer to competativeness.

This gives you youth at QB, WR, RB and a solid O-line. The D is very young on the Line, and very very good at CB. IF Safety can be retained, we're good there, and Linebacker becomes our biggest and hardest to fill weakness.

So there you go, the Warfish Plan.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-19-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Aye.

Works for me.

Fully agree on the say No to Vick. But wouldn't be surprised if our boneheaded owner tried to do so.

I think it would be silly to go into 2013 without one vet QB (even if that vet were Sanchez).

It'd also be a bad move to cut Sanchez and take a $12mm cap hit, difference between retaining Sanchez as a backup and cutting him for catharsis would probably cost us Laron Landry.

No thanks, although I do agree with your draft strategy.

All League
    Also known as the suck-for-Bridgewater plan (if none of the aforementioned QBs pan out)

I like it.

DEMISE OF THE JET QB, WHO SHOWED EARLY PROMISE

from nypost.com

=In 2010, Sanchez played better, particularly during a November stretch when he led the team to three game-tying or game-winning drives. He clicked with receivers Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes and the Jets again made it to the brink of the Super Bowl before losing to the Steelers.

Then everything went south.

Looking back, some people with the Jets believe things came too easily for Sanchez in those first two years. He did not appreciate how difficult it is to get to the conference title game. Sanchez was largely along for the ride in those first two years as the team was carried by its running attack and defense.

Even though the Jets barely made the playoffs each of those years, people around the Jets began to sense an overconfidence in Sanchez.

THE SLIDE BEGINS

The team let Edwards leave as a free agent before the 2011 season and then released Jerricho Cotchery, a steady force at receiver. They signed Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason and decided to turn the offense over to Sanchez.

The new parts didnt mesh, and the Jets scrapped the offense four weeks into the season.

I think part of the problem is the constant change at the skill position, Woody said. I also think the culture that Rex Ryan instills in the building being so one side of the ball, not much emphasis on offense and development, hurts him.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    I think it would be silly to go into 2013 without one vet QB (even if that vet were Sanchez).
    I reject this old trope. Veteran Journeymen never-were QB's have never been an answer in and of themselves, nor for moving a franchise forward.

It's the same logic as firing your Coach to hire another retread 7th Chance Head Coach.

If we're going to have a transition, I'd rather do it with a stable of young QB's with Potential, not another leftover journeyman riding the NFL Pension Fund.

It'd also be a bad move to cut Sanchez and take a $12mm cap hit, difference between retaining Sanchez as a backup and cutting him for catharsis would probably cost us Laron Landry.
    He cannot be retained, the effect on the team and locker room will be bad. And he simply cannot be played, period.

But I could live with him if he's the #3 and not dressed.

2nd or 3rd round should get them Landry Jones this year.

It's a shame Lattimore got hurt so badly. This team really needs a strong running back.

Good plan overall, War.

I would take Matt Moore, though, provided he is reasonably priced. I think he'd be a good backup to McElroy.

We have to hope Woody won't interfere and force Tebow upon the Jets.

I thought it was $17MM

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Is Flynn on the Seahawks really considered a vet since he only started 2 games in his career?? If Sanchez is cut it would more likely cost Revis in a trade to get his cost off the cap to make up for the Sanchez hit..

All League
    With Thomas and Manuel you're dealing with the same thing as Sanchez coming out. They are no where near ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I reject this old trope. Veteran Journeymen never-were QB's have never been an answer in and of themselves, nor for moving a franchise forward.

It's the same logic as firing your Coach to hire another retread 7th Chance Head Coach.

If we're going to have a transition, I'd rather do it with a stable of young QB's with Potential, not another leftover journeyman riding the NFL Pension Fund.

He cannot be retained, the effect on the team and locker room will be bad. And he simply cannot be played, period.

But I could live with him if he's the #3 and not dressed.
    Nobody is saying a vet would be the answer, but it makes sense to bring in someone with experience who could at the very least mentor the younger guys.

1. Matt Moore
    2. Sanchez
    3.Mcelroy/Rookie

This seems likely to me, or nay permutation that involves Sanchez as the #2 or #3. And I don't think the lockerroom will be demoralized as long as they know Mark is riding the pine. I think the D would be demoralized knowing if Mark left, Landry probably walks to better money elsewhere.

All Pro
    Logan Thomas would be awesome to groom as a backup for a year...

The scenario that is going to play out is that there will be a 4 year starter, at one time projected to be the #1 overall pick, from the same college where the player that has crushed all of our dreams is from....yes Matt Barkley.

Many talking heads have argued that he has regressed this year, and having great numbers with woods and lee as his WRs is no great accomplishment. Add that together with the awful history of USC QBs in the pros and you have a recipe for a player to fall on draft day.

However should a player once projected at #1 overall, becoming available at 14-19 (or wherever we pick) the following year, not be considered an appropriate risk-reward selection? Is his arm strength THAT bad, or has he just become "old news" in a draft world where upside is often viewed as better than consistent?

Is he the same type of player that leinart, sanchez, cassel, and even palmer are? Or is he different since he actually started for 4 years and got beat up a bit playing with a team short on scholarships and less then "normal USC" talent?

Going to be a very interesting scenario if he is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Is Flynn on the Seahawks really considered a vet since he only started 2 games in his career?? If Sanchez is cut it would more likely cost Revis in a trade to get his cost off the cap to make up for the Sanchez hit..
    I don't know about Flynn, I don't think you'll find the answer to our QB problems long-term with any Vets, but one needs to be signed to mentor/keep us somewhat competitive next year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The scenario that is going to play out is that there will be a 4 year starter, at one time projected to be the #1 overall pick, from the same college where the player that has crushed all of our dreams is from....yes Matt Barkley.

Many talking heads have argued that he has regressed this year, and having great numbers with woods and lee as his WRs is no great accomplishment. Add that together with the awful history of USC QBs in the pros and you have a recipe for a player to fall on draft day.

However should a player once projected at #1 overall, becoming available at 14-19 (or wherever we pick) the following year, not be considered an appropriate risk-reward selection? Is his arm strength THAT bad, or has he just become "old news" in a draft world where upside is often viewed as better than consistent?

Is he the same type of player that leinart, sanchez, cassel, and even palmer are? Or is he different since he actually started for 4 years and got beat up a bit playing with a team short on scholarships and less then "normal USC" talent?

Going to be a very interesting scenario if he is available.
    I'm not just saying this because he went to USC. Barkley is literally a worse version of Sanchez. Pass.

Nobody is saying a vet would be the answer, but it makes sense to bring in someone with experience who could at the very least mentor the younger guys.

1. Matt Moore
    2. Sanchez
    3.Mcelroy/Rookie

This seems likely to me, or nay permutation that involves Sanchez as the #2 or #3. And I don't think the lockerroom will be demoralized as long as they know Mark is riding the pine. I think the D would be demoralized knowing if Mark left, Landry probably walks to better money elsewhere.
    That is as close to a worst-case as I can imagine. The only worse one (for me) would be Vick #1/Sanchez #2/McElroy #3.

Matt Moore does nothign to move the Jets Franchsie forward. He is not capable of winning a title. He is not a long-term answer. He is not enough of a veteran to "mentor" young QB's (somethign I do not value anyway, hire a Coach, not a QB, to do that).

He is 100% a "for this year and this year only" option that may be slightly better than a McElroy/Draft Pick/UDFA stable, but only in a one-year scenario.

Again, I reject this Head Coach Blankie style of staffing the QB position. We have a clear need, we need to fill that clear need with three young QB's who have the possibillity to be something more than just another journeyman veteran JAG.

I'd rather lose all 16 games next year trying to develop a real QB, than win another middling 8 games behind a never-gonna-win-a-title Moore. Like SAR says, losing may be more important than winning in 2013, if the McElroy/Rookies don't pan out.

But honestly, I think a rookie or McElroy can win just as many games as a Matt Moore or similar JAG.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-19-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Logan Thomas would be awesome to groom as a backup for a year...
    6'6", 240 lbs.

Probably a 4.6 40.

Yeah the raw essentials are definitely there.

I haven't watched VT at all. No idea how his arm is.

But I assume he probably has a cannon.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    6'6", 240 lbs.

Probably a 4.6 40.

Yeah the raw essentials are definitely there.

I haven't watched VT at all. No idea how his arm is.

But I assume he probably has a cannon.
    Who cares, what's above the shoulders?

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I'm not just saying this because he went to USC. Barkley is literally a worse version of Sanchez. Pass.
    Just curious what characteristics are similar between them? Seems like barkley is a much more polished QB then sanchez is or ever was.

The way I see it we really have two choices.

1) Try and wait out a few contracts, be a middle of the road team and hope we strike gold in a few positions and contend.

2) We bite the bullet hard, purge some contracts, be in cap hell for a few years and do a total rebuild.

If we do get rid of Sanchez it will be a cap massacring move and will cost us other players for sure.