Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What I Would Do at QB For 2013

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    Who cares, what's above the shoulders?
    Yeah, I care.

Sanchez was drafted for what was above the shoulders. Smith was picked ahead of Rodgers.

There's others.

I'll take Ben Roethlisberger over some cerebral Andy Dalton type every single time.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good plan. I would add that if the secondary maintains status quo, the a high draft pick should go to OLB giving us a young line, fairly young LB corps (McIntyre, davis, harris and DP)a secondary in it's prime, with aging safeties but youth as backup. With QB I think we're stuck with Sanchez another year so I would only grab one this year and look to 2014 for a possible Franchise type of guy. I think with the play of the secondary, Revis becomes expendable. I know it would be a trade low year for him (relatively) but his contract clauses may force our hand. If we stay with Rex fine, he does what he does well. But we need to pull someone into the FO who can evaluate O talent. It doesn't matter who the OC is if we don't improve the weapons, then that position will be a revolving door.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Just curious what characteristics are similar between them? Seems like barkley is a much more polished QB then sanchez is or ever was.
    I agree - but I still don't want the Jets to even remotely consider him unless he drops precipitously in the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elroy and BE are both crap that shouldn't be on this team next year much less starting. To me you are giving up on making the O good and then saying ignore the D as well. I will pass all together on this game plan. You must have gone to the Tanny GMing school because this is what we have been doing the last 3 years IMO. No 1 2 year patches THEY DON'T WORK. That is all I take from this. Lets resign a bunch of crap LBs, WR, S, QBs and RB and hope next years draft and FA is better. PASS.

If we don't draft at least 2 LBs who ever our new GM is should be fired. Our issue isn't ignoring the O it is ignoring the draft. period I could care less if it is 2 O players and 5 D as long as we get some good players out of it. We seriously need to draft more then 3 useful players this year. Your not finding a solid starter RB here either. So you seem to think taking 7 picks on BU O players and not addressing any real starting spots IS A GOOD IDEA! We will be in bigger trouble next year with that formula IMO. QB and OLB are our biggest needs and you seem to think we can ignore both and maybe find something next year. I can care less about 2014 we should be able to win in 2013 with a GM with half a brain making the calls.

As far as no elite QB in the draft you know nothing of the draft obviously. Luck is gone that come once every 8 years at best. Guys like Luck and Elway are few and far between. Barkley, Geno, and Wislon are just as good as any other 1st rounder taken in the last 10 years. If you want a future those are good options. "Waiting around" for something better gets you no where. It is not a matter of next year or the year after you may never see that elite prospect in your career as a GM so you can't bulk on good prospects when they are there. You can't plan around that you have to make a normal prospect an ELITE guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    As far as no elite QB in the draft you know nothing of the draft obviously. Luck is gone that come once every 8 years at best. Guys like Luck and Elway are few and far between. Barkley, Geno, and Wislon are just as good as any other 1st rounder taken in the last 10 years. If you want a future those are good options. "Waiting around" for something better gets you no where. It is not a matter of next year or the year after you may never see that elite prospect in your career as a GM so you can't bulk on good prospects when they are there. You can't plan around that you have to make a normal prospect an ELITE guy.
    Exactly. I don't get the point of people putting these mid-level prospects as some type of draft solution at QB. Thomas and Manuel are poor passers and will require a lot of development. Boyd I don't even believe is eligible for this draft.

If you want the Jets to draft a QB, you should want the Jets to draft the absolute best guy, which I think is Geno Smith. Barkley and Wilson are not far behind. Any "draft a QB solution" that does not include the 3 best guys is just lunacy in my opinion. You can't intentionally try to catch lightning in a bottle with lower prospects. You have to take the best prospects and give yourself the best chance.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thomas and Manuel are horrific passers. Their decision making is even worse. I have watched all 3 of these guys a lot and would stay far, far away from both of them. Boyd should be returning to Clemson for another year, but if he comes out I wouldnt touch him either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please don't let Woody see this report he'll be running into Tannys office and ordering him to trade for him NOW. Of course Tanny would have to inform Woody the trade deadline has passed.

@WFAN660: Report: Michael Vick would consider #Jets... if he's paid more than Sanchez | http://t.co/erY4Blz7

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Any "draft a QB solution" that does not include the 3 best guys is just lunacy in my opinion.
    Drafting Smith or lol Sachez II: Barkley, is not worth what it will take to aquire them. They're simply not remotely good enough prospects for a 1st Round Selection.

You can't intentionally try to catch lightning in a bottle with lower prospects.
    Sure you can. Draft them, draft them regularly, and recycle them regularly if they do not show you they posess the required potential. You get three QB spots on most teams for a reason you know.

You have to take the best prospects and give yourself the best chance.
    Like Sanchez?

Forgive me if I no longer trust the "best prospects" in an already weak QB Class year. Thats how you wind up with a Mark Sanchez, out far too early, exposed as a complete bust after 4 years of being the worst statistcial QB over that time, and yet tied to him because he was a high 1st rounder, and you don't get the flexabillity to sinply cut those.

Put a different way, the NY jets will not solve their QB problem in 2013. Period. There is no available option that is "the answer".

What there are are cheap options, and expensive, overpriced, high-round options. I'd rather burn a 4th on a QB in 2013 than a 1st.

It's the "draft the best prospect and have to draft a QB noaw!" folsk who put the jets into this mess with Sanchez, I prefer not to repeat their gross misjudgement again. At least missing on a 4th or 5th does not cripple you for 4 full seasons. They can be discarded on a moments notice if a real prospect appears.

I also prefer these folks, becasue I (for one) am tired of short plucky QB's. I want a QB who is 6'5" with an NFL body and abillity to scramble, break tackles, and run as well as throw.

Now, I'm no college expect, so maybe these specific gusy aren't the answer, thats fine. But find me a 3rd or 4th (or lower) pick QB who is 6'5" 240 or bigger, with an NFL arm, and Modern NFL legs, even if he is a "project".

We're in rebuild on O now. We can afford a project. We cannot afford another overhyped 1st rounder who'll tie down the #1 QB position for 4_ years no matter how much he sucks donkeycock.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Draft Tyler Wilson in the 2nd round and have an open competition between him and McElroy for the starting job.

I don't want anything to do with these "athlete" QB's like Thomas, Manuel, or Boyd who can't throw the ball for sh*t and can't read a defense to save their lives.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Drafting Smith or lol Sachez II: Barkley, is not worth what it will take to aquire them. They're simply not remotely good enough prospects for a 1st Round Selection.

Sure you can. Draft them, draft them regularly, and recycle them regularly if they do not show you they posess the required potential. You get three QB spots on most teams for a reason you know.

Like Sanchez?

Forgive me if I no longer trust the "best prospects" in an already weak QB Class year. Thats how you wind up with a Mark Sanchez, out far too early, exposed as a complete bust after 4 years of being the worst statistcial QB over that time, and yet tied to him because he was a high 1st rounder, and you don't get the flexabillity to sinply cut those.

Put a different way, the NY jets will not solve their QB problem in 2013. Period. There is no available option that is "the answer".

What there are are cheap options, and expensive, overpriced, high-round options. I'd rather burn a 4th on a QB in 2013 than a 1st.

It's the "draft the best prospect and have to draft a QB noaw!" folsk who put the jets into this mess with Sanchez, I prefer not to repeat their gross misjudgement again. At least missing on a 4th or 5th does not cripple you for 4 full seasons. They can be discarded on a moments notice if a real prospect appears.

I also prefer these folks, becasue I (for one) am tired of short plucky QB's. I want a QB who is 6'5" with an NFL body and abillity to scramble, break tackles, and run as well as throw.

Now, I'm no college expect, so maybe these specific gusy aren't the answer, thats fine. But find me a 3rd or 4th (or lower) pick QB who is 6'5" 240 or bigger, with an NFL arm, and Modern NFL legs, even if he is a "project".

We're in rebuild on O now. We can afford a project. We cannot afford another overhyped 1st rounder who'll tie down the #1 QB position for 4_ years no matter how much he sucks donkeycock.
    Tyler Bray from Tennessee would fit this description. He is most likely coming out this year. I would not object to drafting him in the 3rd or 4th round. Preferably the 4th.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Solid plan, although I have no knowledge of these particular rookie quarterbacks.

I agree that we should draft two quarterbacks and go into the season with a young and inexperienced unit. No more retreads or failed veterans. I wouldn't be opposed to Matt Flynn, but I don't see a realistic/inexpensive way of getting him.

I disagree with cutting Ducasse. Both of the starting OG are free agents, and I think his overall level of play has definitely improved. He's young and cheap, he'll certainly have value on the roster.

Bottom line ... I want to see offense, offense, and more offense in this draft. It's 2013, offensive records are falling left and right, a team needs consistent offensive production in order to compete.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Please don't let Woody see this report he'll be running into Tannys office and ordering him to trade for him NOW. Of course Tanny would have to inform Woody the trade deadline has passed.

@WFAN660: Report: Michael Vick would consider #Jets... if he's paid more than Sanchez | http://t.co/erY4Blz7

LOL. Vick's worth half of McElroy before incentives.

What an idiot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    That is as close to a worst-case as I can imagine. The only worse one (for me) would be Vick #1/Sanchez #2/McElroy #3.

Matt Moore does nothign to move the Jets Franchsie forward. He is not capable of winning a title. He is not a long-term answer. He is not enough of a veteran to "mentor" young QB's (somethign I do not value anyway, hire a Coach, not a QB, to do that).

He is 100% a "for this year and this year only" option that may be slightly better than a McElroy/Draft Pick/UDFA stable, but only in a one-year scenario.

Again, I reject this Head Coach Blankie style of staffing the QB position. We have a clear need, we need to fill that clear need with three young QB's who have the possibillity to be something more than just another journeyman veteran JAG.

I'd rather lose all 16 games next year trying to develop a real QB, than win another middling 8 games behind a never-gonna-win-a-title Moore. Like SAR says, losing may be more important than winning in 2013, if the McElroy/Rookies don't pan out.

But honestly, I think a rookie or McElroy can win just as many games as a Matt Moore or similar JAG.
    +1

I do not want Matt Morre mentoring ANYBODY, especially 2 QB's that should not, and hopefully wont be on the roster next year. (Sanchez Tebow)

WF, there is problem with your wish list, and im sure you know what it is. Sanchez contract. Nobody is trading for him. Would you just cut him and take the 8 mil cap hit. At this point, that is worth discussion.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Tyler Bray from Tennessee would fit this description. He is most likely coming out this year. I would not object to drafting him in the 3rd or 4th round. Preferably the 4th.
    That's who I would draft/target.....

He is the only QB this season that South Carolina had no answer to (We still beat TENN but it was a shootout)

On a bad UT squad, he lit up alot of great SEC defenses and has a huge arm

Only concerns is immaturity, but other than that he is the real deal

Don't like Manuel, Logan Thomas, or Tajh Boyd

Only QBs I would target in this draft are Tyler Bray, Geno Smith, and Tyler Wilson

Would give McElroy first shot and maybe try to get Matt Flynn (No other retreads)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post

He is the only QB this season that South Carolina had no answer to (We still beat TENN but it was a shootout)

Only QBs I would target in this draft are Tyler Bray, Geno Smith, and Tyler Wilson
    I saw the SC game. He had nothing at UT and kept them in that game. I like him as well. He is 6'6" 225, so he has the size and could be had in the 3rd or 4th round.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post

Would give McElroy first shot and maybe try to get Matt Flynn (No other retreads)
    Agree with your overall premise

QBs I'd take, assuming the Jets are picking in the middle of every round:

1st - Geno Smith
    2nd - Aaron Murray, Tyler Wilson
    3rd - Tyler Bray, Ryan Nassib

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    My old friend, I am VERY flexable on the "who" in 2013.

As I have said many times over the years, I am not a minor-league football fan, and hence lack detailed knowledge and must rely on other sources for my college player preferences.

I'm not concerned with tghe who, per se. But the what.

1. Not a 1st Rounder. We're not in position to get one, and they cost too much for too long, and tie you to them (usually) for 3-4 full years. In a year on non-elite options, thats too much. They also, when you have nobody on the roster, engender FAR too much pressure to "play them now", the worst thing possible.

2. Must be 6'4" or bigger (prefer bigger) and meaty enough to survive the NFL (240+). Must be able to make every NFL throw required (no noodles).

3. Prefer turnover-limiting not turnover-prone.

4. Prefer 3rd Round availabillity or later.

5. Being a "project" is fine. We are not a "win in 2013" team, and if we are, it'll have to be with lolMcElroy or lolMatt Moore or the like. This pick is for our longer term, low-pressure, high-upside developmental future.

6. Absolutely, positively, must NOT be a USC QB. I'll will lierally give a power shot to anyone who says we should draft another friggin USC QB after their abject failure of the vast majority of them in recent decades.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    WF, there is problem with your wish list, and im sure you know what it is. Sanchez contract. Nobody is trading for him. Would you just cut him and take the 8 mil cap hit. At this point, that is worth discussion.
    Offer him to Arizona for a Conditional 7th round pick and offer to pay a meaningful portion of his money.

They take that in a heartbeat, I guarantee it, and we get a huge cap relief.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-19-2012 at 03:06 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want anything to do with Bray.

The kid is a total douchebag and has had his commitment to the game called into question. I'm not in favor of drafting any QB who doesn't eat, sleep and breathe football.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was impressed at Ryan Nassib of SYR when he came to Mizzou this past season...will he be around in round 2?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    I was impressed at Ryan Nassib of SYR when he came to Mizzou this past season...will he be around in round 2?
    He is a VERY intriguing prospect.

Improved each year, over 60% completion, tough, athletic, 6'2 220-230.

Some guys on here posted the other day that they werent impressed with him, but I Like him a lot. He will def be available in the 2nd round, but might not make it to the 3rd depending on his workouts etc