Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Disingenuous Rex Ryan

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Disingenuous Rex Ryan

Did anyone listen to this press conference? I simply do not understand why this man (and this organization) has to be so evasive about every single question of pertinence.

Rex wants it both ways. He is an open book when it comes to everything except the issues that matter. The script is old. He cannot articulate his rationale for his decisions beyond saying he "feels" it is the right decision.

Make no mistake. It's his call, and his alone. And he is the one person responsible. Expect when he benches his qb or fires his OC. Or doesn't start his million dollar backup QB.

Say what you mean, or say nothing, Rex. This middle ground of positioning is complete BS and you sound like a moron.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Rant not finished....

To the Jets PR people... why have a press conference if you're not going to say anything? I mean, what is the point? Are you required by the NFL to hold a press conference every day of the week?

To whoever crafted the "I just feel this is the best thing for the team right now." message point for Rex to use to his answer for *everything* -- you suck at your job. Seriously. Get out of the business. Whatever Woody is paying you is too much.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

Did anyone listen to this press conference? I simply do not understand why this man (and this organization) has to be so evasive about every single question of pertinence.

Rex wants it both ways. He is an open book when it comes to everything except the issues that matter. The script is old. He cannot articulate his rationale for his decisions beyond saying he "feels" it is the right decision.

Make no mistake. It's his call, and his alone. And he is the one person responsible. Expect when he benches his qb or fires his OC. Or doesn't start his million dollar backup QB.

Say what you mean, or say nothing, Rex. This middle ground of positioning is complete BS and you sound like a moron.
    Have you ever heard a BB press conference??

Rant not finished....

To the Jets PR people... why have a press conference if you're not going to say anything? I mean, what is the point? Are you required by the NFL to hold a press conference every day of the week?

To whoever crafted the "I just feel this is the best thing for the team right now." message point for Rex to use to his answer for *everything* -- you suck at your job. Seriously. Get out of the business. Whatever Woody is paying you is too much.
    Actually I believe so, on mondays and wednesdays.

Only a fool would expect honest, strait-forward, concise answers from an NFL Head Coach.

For example, Bellichek has never given a single honest or enlightening answer in a press conference.....ever.

Sorry mate, you'll simply have to decide for yourself what to think, no rely on some magic detailed insight or enlightenment from the Coaches Presser.

Agreed. he is VERY inarticulate and I believe that is a DIRECT correlation to his knowledge of the entire game. He is NOT confident right now and he stumbles in speech like a kid caught shoplifting.

Ive been saying this for a year. I think he is an OK coach, just a poor "executive".

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Only a fool would expect honest, strait-forward, concise answers from an NFL Head Coach.

For example, Bellichek has never given a single honest or enlightening answer in a press conference.....ever.Sorry mate, you'll simply have to decide for yourself what to think, no rely on some magic detailed insight or enlightenment from the Coaches Presser.
    And when he left the Jets he wrote his resignation on a cocktail napkin and didn't even face the press..

Hall Of Fame
    Believe none of what you hear from the Jets. Instead, trust your eyes.

Rex thinks Tebow sucks. Otherwise he would be playing. Plain and simple.

Rex and Tanny had a lot riding on the success of Sanchez which is why they gave him every opportunity to turn things around this year. Sanchez did not reward Rex for his faith in him.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

For example, Bellichek has never given a single honest or enlightening answer in a press conference.....ever.

Sorry mate, you'll simply have to decide for yourself what to think, no rely on some magic detailed insight or enlightenment from the Coaches Presser.
    No, no no. First of all, if you're comparing BB to Rex, please. BB is one of, if not the, greatest HCs of all time. He can do whatever he wants. He's earned it. Or stole it. Regardless, he has it. Rex hasn't won a division title yet.

If Rex ran a presser like BB, I'd have no problem with it. My problem with Rex is that he is disingenuous, and it makes him sound like a fool. Or a politician. It's absurd.

What I found bizarre was why would Rex not come out and say "the season is pretty much over in terms of the playoffs and we'd like to evaluate what we have in McElroy. Mark and Tim are known commodities, we'd like to see Greg get some real game experience and see how he does."

How hard would that have been?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ytfootballfan View Post
    Actually I believe so, on mondays and wednesdays.
    And yesterday was Tuesday, and they had one.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    What I found bizarre was why would Rex not come out and say "the season is pretty much over in terms of the playoffs and we'd like to evaluate what we have in McElroy. Mark and Tim are known commodities, we'd like to see Greg get some real game experience and see how he does."

How hard would that have been?
    EXACTLY! This is the point... I mean, why can't you just say it and move on?

I simply do not understand the rationale for trying to deflect something that is pretty obvious and not really offensive to the other Qbs.... It only makes it worse, because the media dig in and keep asking the same question when a simple, truthful answer would have ended the discussion.

Makes no sense.

All Pro
    It shows that Rex is beholden to his boss(es) not calling the shots (such as acquiring Tebow but trying to work around the sensitive task of not playing him even after benching his QB) but is the one that has to explain it, even if he didn't agree with the moves made by Tanny or Woody. It's what being a HC is about I guess, maybe he's not the best at artfully saying the bull****, but there's worse things to be bad at.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rex will be gone in 11 days. Change is coming my friends.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

It was a painful listen to say the least, but at least the bloviating is gone.

Sounded like the bully from "A Christmas Story" being forced to hold a press conference to explain how Ralphie kicked his arse.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Tuesday's replace Monday's required presser when there's a Monday game like this week

I find this whole thread disingenuous

We didn't like Parcells Pressers because he didn't give honest answers...

Same with Groh Edwards Mangini and now Rex

They are forced to meet with the press by the league

They are not required to give honest answers about anything.

Rex is more honest than Parcells Belicheat or Mangini in that he sometimes gives accurate injury info...those others never did

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    not defending rex here. but if you're woody johnson, and you're looking for culprits, rex is not top 2 on my list.

sanchez is the main reason this team failed the past 2 years. he has regressed as a qb, and he was never good to begin with. he has no leadership skills either.

next is tannenbaum, who all but ignored offensive skill positions and kept changing the wrs/rbs on sanchez. and he completely whiffed on RT too.

given these two huge fails, rex may get a pass. i believe rex will be given one more opportunity to win. and since rex has apparently lost all faith in sanchez, rex will no longer pin his job to him. rex is playing mcelroy b/c 1) even if sanchez is on the team next year, if rex has to play him then rex knows his job is done, and 2) rex is praying mcelroy can be a game manager for him next year so he can play his style of run/stop the run/don't turn it over football. that's why he's not playing tebow. there's no point.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    LOL; you have no credibility here; your savior f*cked our season.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Tuesday's replace Monday's required presser when there's a Monday game like this week

I find this whole thread disingenuous

We didn't like Parcells Pressers because he didn't give honest answers...

Same with Groh Edwards Mangini and now Rex

They are forced to meet with the press by the league

They are not required to give honest answers about anything.

Rex is more honest than Parcells Belicheat or Mangini in that he sometimes gives accurate injury info...those others never did

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Your finest post. I'm glad I read it.

No, no no. First of all, if you're comparing BB to Rex, please.
    I'm comparing Rex to every single Head Coach in the NFL.

None of them are honest. Noen of them are forthright. All of them use alot of words (ro a few words) to say nothing.

BB is one of, if not the, greatest HCs of all time. He can do whatever he wants. He's earned it. Or stole it. Regardless, he has it. Rex hasn't won a division title yet.
    SOJF is SOJF.

When Rex talks, he gets lambasted. When Rex uses standard-issue Coach-speak, he's lambasted.

Make up your minds ffs.

My problem with Rex is that he is disingenuous, and it makes him sound like a fool. Or a politician. It's absurd.
    I'd disagree with who sounds like a fool right now.