Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: It's All About the QB: Object Lesson #1, Mike Shannahan

  1. #1

    It's All About the QB: Object Lesson #1, Mike Shannahan

    Shannhan with Jay Schroeder/Steve Burlein (1 1/2 Seasons) = 8-12

    Shannahan with John Elway (4 Seasons) = 47-17, 8 Playoff Games, 2 Super Bowls

    Shannahan with Brian Griese (4 Seasons) = 34-30

    Shannahan with Jake Plummer (4 Seasons) = 42-22, 4 Playoff Games

    Shannahan with Jay Cutler (2 Seasons) = 15-17

    Shannahan with McNabb/Grossman (2 Seasons) = 11-21

    Shannahn with RGIII = 8-6 thus far.

    Evidence, IMO, that even a supposed "great" Head Coach is nothing if he lacks a top-tier QB. Elway and Jake "The Snake" were both such players. Griese, Grossman, Cutler were not.

    It's all about the QB.

    Shannahan with good QB's is 97-45 with 12 Playoff Games and Two Titles

    Shannahan without good QB's is 68-80, with no playoff games, and 12 games UNDER .500

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,195
    So what are you saying?

    That you need a good QB to win?

  3. #3
    if this is the case then the jets should keep rex. rex was winning despite having one of the worst qbs in the nfl. imagine what he could do with a decent or good qb, or at the very least, one who doesn't turn the ball over all the time.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,150
    Jake Plummer ruins this theory. Shannan had success with Jake but Jake was never a very good qb.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    So what are you saying?

    That you need a good QB to win?
    I'm saying Rex put up a record with Sanchez (a worse QB than any Shannahan had to deal with) that is very respectable. Literaly the worst QB in the NFL over the whole of the past 4 years.

    I'd like to see what Rex can do with a GOOD QB.

    Because no matter who the Coach is, if we don't have a good QB, it's probably a losing camapign regardless.

    Even a lock future HOF Head Coach like Shannhan can't win without a top-tier QB.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Shanahan though made sure that he got everything in place for RGIII. He implemented a complete new system with their pistol offense to maximize RGIIIs strengths. Pair that with his ZB run scheme and you got one hell of an explosive offense. People are talking about how bad their receiving corps is but actually, they got three good veteran receivers in Josh Morgan, Pierre Garcon and Santana Moss, then they got big targets with Hankerson and Paulsen and they got a speedster in Aldrick Robinson to take the top of the defense. And this is without Fred Davis who is injured.

    Meanwhile we are dressing Clyde Gates, Chaz Schilens and Mardy Gilyard. This isnt meant to defend Sanchez, he is done. But any new QB also needs a receiving corps that challenges a defense and players who get open. Edwards is a start and once Holmes comes back we already look better. But we have to draft another receiver or TE aswell.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Meanwhile we are dressing Clyde Gates, Chaz Schilens and Mardy Gilyard. This isnt meant to defend Sanchez, he is done. But any new QB also needs a receiving corps that challenges a defense and players who get open. Edwards is a start and once Holmes comes back we already look better. But we have to draft another receiver or TE aswell.
    Holmes/Edwards/Kerley/Hill/Draft Pick or FA is the equal or better of what the Redskins have at WR.

    Injuries kill. How do the Skins look without say, Moss?

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Holmes/Edwards/Kerley/Hill/Draft Pick or FA is the equal or better of what the Redskins have at WR.

    Injuries kill. How do the Skins look without say, Moss?
    Edwards wasn't here and the draft pick wasn't here. I agree though that we aren't that far away from a pretty damn decent receiving corps.

  9. #9
    The biggest star besides Shannhans name has to be what he does with the running game and the stars he makes out of almost every back he has. Draft position, pedigree, none of that seems to matter he plugs in guys that give an effort and they produce big numbers. (Getting Alfred Morris in waivers earlier in the year has helped propel me to my fantasy football championship game.)

  10. #10
    Hey let's make this easier rather than do a case study:

    Every QB since the Brad Johnson who has won a Super Bowl is a hall of famer.

    That's all there is to it. Says it all. One sentence.

  11. #11
    Elway played with the league MVP and offensive player of the year in Terrell Davis between 96-98. Broncos won 13, 12, 14 games in those seasons. Maybe Elway made Davis better, but give him Shonne Greene and Im sure his record is much worst.

  12. #12
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Shanahan though made sure that he got everything in place for RGIII. He implemented a complete new system with their pistol offense to maximize RGIIIs strengths. Pair that with his ZB run scheme and you got one hell of an explosive offense. People are talking about how bad their receiving corps is but actually, they got three good veteran receivers in Josh Morgan, Pierre Garcon and Santana Moss, then they got big targets with Hankerson and Paulsen and they got a speedster in Aldrick Robinson to take the top of the defense. And this is without Fred Davis who is injured.

    Meanwhile we are dressing Clyde Gates, Chaz Schilens and Mardy Gilyard. This isnt meant to defend Sanchez, he is done. But any new QB also needs a receiving corps that challenges a defense and players who get open. Edwards is a start and once Holmes comes back we already look better. But we have to draft another receiver or TE aswell.
    Garcon played with Peyton Manning. That says a lot about his skills as a QB. I think any receiver that comes out of a system with that QB is really equipped to be successful. Garcon is also one of the players I think burned the Jets in the 2009 playoffs in Indy.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Hey let's make this easier rather than do a case study:

    Every QB since the Brad Johnson who has won a Super Bowl is a hall of famer.

    That's all there is to it. Says it all. One sentence.
    Correct... People here need to actually see this and understand it.

    Just get a coach capable of winning who gets the other guys playing over their head, and then just take swings on getting a good QB.

    Rex is good, just keep trying like hell to get a good QB.

  14. #14
    While I agree that you need a QB, it isn't that easy. You also need a coach to make the right decisions before it is too late. With Sanchez and his final benching, it is waaaaayyyyyy too late. The Jets still have a good enough OL and defense to make the playoffs and they failed two years in a row.

    I also put the Jets missing the playoffs these last two years squarely on Rex's shoulders. He lost the lockerroom last year and kept Sanchez starting far too long this year. The Jets are a mess and a lot of that has to do with Rex Ryan.

    I have no real horse in this game but I don't think Rex deserves a free pass. He needs to be a real part of the offseason critique.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us