Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Stat on Sportscenter this morning

Jets Insider VIP

Interesting Stat on Sportscenter this morning

Look, I'm as down on the Jets right now as anybody. I've absolutely had it with Sanchez and Tannenbaum, I'm more undecided than anything on Rex, and even the sight of a Jets jersey raises my blood pressure. But, something I saw today really hammered home two things:

1. Sanchez is an absolute bum.
    2. Rex might be a pretty darn good coach.

Of all QBs who have attempted at least 1,500 passes since Mark Sanchez entered the NFL (so essentially, all other starting QBs over that time), here is where Sanchez ranks in these KEY statistics:

• Turnovers - FIRST

• Completion % - LAST

• TD:INT ratio - LAST

• Yards per Attempt - LAST

• QB Rating - LAST

That is pretty much every meaningful way you can grade a QB's performance and Sanchez ranks dead worst in the NFL of all starting QBs since he's been playing!

However, despite getting the absolute worst play of any starting QB in the NFL over his entire coaching career, Rex Ryan still sports a winning record (38-30) including 4 road playoff victories. It is really hard to win football games in the National Football League and Rex Ryan has been doing so despite getting the worst performance in the league from the game's most important position.

Dump Sanchez, fire or demote Tanny, and I'm down with letting whoever the new GM is decide Rex's fate. But whether they keep him or ditch him, none of us should act like keeping him is a bad option.

50 turnovers he leads the nfl in this i posted this last night.

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    It is really hard to win football games in the National Football League and Rex Ryan has been doing so despite getting the worst performance in the league from the game's most important position.
    This.

I appreciate that Joe Namath disagrees.

But this.

+1

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Enlightening post. Thank you.

Jets Insider VIP
    The only thing your stats show you how stupid Rex is for sticking with the guy. 31 other nfl coaches would have benched his ass.

Rex is awful. He has 11 days left as HC of the NYJ.

You can't separate Sanchez from Rex Ryan. If Ryan was a good coach he would have benched him long ago and done the right thing, despite any pressure or cajoling from tanny or woody.

He refused to. In fact he refused to dress the new starting QB. He refused to ever have a viable backup on the team with the likes of Tebow and Brunnell and he refused to ever stop coddling Sanchez until it was far too late.

No, you can't be a good coach at 2/3 of things and a disaster at 1/3 and be considered a good head coach.

I am actually more mad at Rex than anything because he has let just a terrible QB drag him down. I am not opposed to Rex being retained as a coach but we need a total hard ass jerk of a GM that tell him to stfu and stay out of all player evaluation and to coach the players he is given.

The reason I'd fire Rex isn't because he's a bad coach. It's because he refused to put his loyalty/ego aside and make a change when it was blatantly necessary. I'm not only speaking on the QB position. There are other positions where Rex just refuses to admit that the player just isn't good enough and go with an alternative.

That being said, it is quite impressive that the Jets have been able to win the amount of games that they did with Sanchez. Which is why I lament Rex and Tanny for giving up on Brett Favre when everyone knew he was coming back for another season. We would have won that Super Bowl with Brett. I have no doubts about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    I seriously doubt the decision to stick with Sanchez was Rex's.

Wouldn't be surprised if dude walked because of his inability to be allowed to make normal decisions that a normal NFL HC is allowed to make. Give the man a GM that can actually manage.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You can't separate Sanchez from Rex Ryan. If Ryan was a good coach he would have benched him long ago and done the right thing, despite any pressure or cajoling from tanny or woody.

He refused to. In fact he refused to dress the new starting QB. He refused to ever have a viable backup on the team with the likes of Tebow and Brunnell and he refused to ever stop coddling Sanchez until it was far too late.

No, you can't be a good coach at 2/3 of things and a disaster at 1/3 and be considered a good head coach.

I am actually more mad at Rex than anything because he has let just a terrible QB drag him down. I am not opposed to Rex being retained as a coach but we need a total hard ass jerk of a GM that tell him to stfu and stay out of all player evaluation and to coach the players he is given.
    The fact that everything thinks Rex is dumb for not benching Sanchez is just crazy. People keep saying 31 other teams would have benched him long ago.

To this I say you guys are flat out WRONG! When you draft a QB that high to be your franchise guy you ride it to the end and give him every chance you can to be a success. Just because some fans were against Sanchez for awhile doesnt mean benching him was the right move.

Sanchez needed to be given every chance he got. If my coach DIDNT do that I would want him fired. You play your guy until you absolutely know he has no chance to succeed.

Jets Insider VIP

He's a first time head coach and learning. Think of it like a stud QB prospect. You'll take some early lumps with the hopes of future greatness as long as they're progressing. Rex is talking less, finally did pull the trigger on benching Sanchez (will be easier to do these things moving forward - he and Mark began together), etc. The man is a good football coach and they don't grow on trees. There is a much higher probability of replacing Sanchez with someone who does better, it would be hard to replace Rex and get someone who will do better.

The above is opinion of course and you know what people say about opinions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Exactly. I dont even blame Sanchez. His play, his mannerisims, his facial expressions, his body language etc was screaming that he did not want to be out there. Starting thanksgiving night, it became too much for him.

Rex left him out there to rot. You dont embarass your qb that way. Everyone saw that mark sanchez was incapable of winning ballgames.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The only thing your stats show you how stupid Rex is for sticking with the guy. 31 other nfl coaches would have benched his ass.

Replace with Brunell? That would have worked. I think he just waited 2 weeks too long.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    You play your guy until you absolutely know he has no chance to succeed.
    And it's not like the FO made it easier for him when they upped Half-Chez's contract during the offseason.

Jets Insider VIP
    When you draft a QB that high to be your franchise guy you ride it to the end and give him every chance you can to be a success.
    Wong. You do not flat out embarass your qb by leaving him in there when its clear he is incapable of playing the position. It should have been over thanksgiving. Then it should have been over against arizona. and then it should have ended at halftime on monday night,.

but no. Rex left him out there to embarass himself time after time. It was a disgrace.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    The reason I'd fire Rex isn't because he's a bad coach. It's because he refused to put his loyalty/ego aside and make a change when it was blatantly necessary.
    He's a rookie head coach (meaning his first time as a head coach). I'm sure he'll learn from that. It was his first time in that position.

That being said, it is quite impressive that the Jets have been able to win the amount of games that they did with Sanchez.
    Right, stick with Rex and I think he only gets better and look what he was able to do his first time ever in the role with absolute poor play from the game's most important position.

Veteran
    is everyone so sure that Tanny didn't have alot to do with keeping Sanchez on the field? Tanny can fire Rex so he has some power over him. Tanny is mostly concerned about not looking bad to Woody who is the only person who can fire him, trading up for a now benched supposed franchise QB looks bad. Rex recently said he consulted no one about the starting of McElroy, probably because Tanny would have pushed for his other big aquisition to start. This is all supposition, but it seems strange a defensive minded coach who only wants ball control and ball safety out of his O would stick with a QB that embodies the opposite of what he wants.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The reason I'd fire Rex isn't because he's a bad coach. It's because he refused to put his loyalty/ego aside and make a change when it was blatantly necessary. I'm not only speaking on the QB position. There are other positions where Rex just refuses to admit that the player just isn't good enough and go with an alternative.

That being said, it is quite impressive that the Jets have been able to win the amount of games that they did with Sanchez. Which is why I lament Rex and Tanny for giving up on Brett Favre when everyone knew he was coming back for another season. We would have won that Super Bowl with Brett. I have no doubts about it.
    Revisionist history?? Favre said he was retiring so the Jets moved on..

All Pro

And put in who Beer? Mark Brunell? Tim Tebow? There was nobody to put in.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

This x10000000

Rex, Tannenbaum, Sparano all need to go.

The only good one of the lot is Pettine.

Being THAT ignorant of offense should get Rex fired. Pettine should only be retained if he's wanted by the new head coach.

Beyond that, they all should go. Everybody in the front office. The only one left should be Woody.

Rookie

Don't you remember Parcells did the same thing sticking with Mira until the season was lost then inserted Lucas. If he had put Lucas in sooner then the Jets could have made the playoffs based on how they finished. Parcells said this was a mistake he regretted too. Rex is just like most coaches that think bad players can play through the funk. Rex believes Sanchez is a better player than he's shown in games and Tebow isn't as good as he's shown in games.