Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 147

Thread: Joe Namath: The Jets Are The Joke, Not Mark Sanchez

  1. #1
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0

    Joe Namath: The Jets Are The Joke, Not Mark Sanchez

    You can't have a New York Jets quarterback controversy without getting the opinion of Joe Namath. The outspoken Hall of Fame quarterback had some interesting opinions on his former team, which made a quarterback switch this week to third-stringer Greg McElroy.

    Namath told ESPN's "Mike & Mike" radio show that he feels sorry for former starting quarterback Mark Sanchez. In Namath's opinion, Sanchez was never given a chance to succeed this year.

    "Well, I know he's gotten a bad shake," Namath explained. "I don't think he's had the right kind of coaching. I donít think he's had the right kind of help offensively. It is a team game. I know Mark's looked really bad these last several games and has played poorly. But I do believe he's not as bad a quarterback as he's made out to be or as he's played these last few games."

    Namath went on to say that Sanchez "deserves better at this stage." Most of the national criticism has been on Sanchez for committing five turnovers in Monday's loss to the Tennessee Titans. But Namath is one of the few coming to Sanchez's defense.

    Namath still believes Sanchez is a viable starting NFL quarterback. Namath just doesn't think the Jets are a viable NFL franchise.

    "I think he's going to be around for a long time," Namath said. "I hope for his sake it's not with the Jets."

    SAR I

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,149
    The Jets are a joke. An embarassing joke. And it is because of the Tanny/Rex combo.

    but Mark Sanchez is not a very good qb. Joe might being waaaaaaaaaaaay to kind here.

  3. #3
    mark sanchez is a turnover machine. he leads the nfl with 50 turnovers need i say more.

    hes done toast cut him its over.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,369
    While I think Joe has a point that the Jets handling of Sanchez contributed to his decline from "somewhat average" QB to "worst QB in the league", it's not that hard to believe that without Sanchez turning the ball over 2.34 times a game, that Rex would have this team in the playoffs.

  5. #5
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The Jets are a joke. An embarassing joke. And it is because of the Tanny/Rex combo.

    but Mark Sanchez is not a very good qb. Joe might being waaaaaaaaaaaay to kind here.
    I'm not surprised by Namath's feelings on Sanchez, but I am a bit shocked at how he is trying to disown the Jets organization.

    No one remembers, but Namath warned us this was coming two years ago. He's been spot-on about this edition of the Jets since the day it started.

    SAR I

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,149
    I'm not surprised by Namath's feelings on Sanchez, but I am a bit shocked at how he is trying to disown the Jets organization.
    No one remembers, but Namath warned us this was coming two years ago. He's been spot-on about this edition of the Jets since the day it started.
    SAR I
    Exactly. Joe was at camp. He saw what was going on behind closed doors. The clown atmosphere, the idiot GM fielding punts, the cocky, arrogant coaches, players thinking its ok to bring mcdonalds on the filed.

    It was a circus and Joe knew it and knew that it wears out quick. and boy did it wear out.

  7. #7
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Exactly. Joe was at camp. He saw what was going on behind closed doors. The clown atmosphere, the idiot GM fielding punts, the cocky, arrogant coaches, players thinking its ok to bring mcdonalds on the filed.

    It was a circus and Joe knew it and knew that it wears out quick. and boy did it wear out.
    "Thereís one thing about the athlete: You keep telling him how good he is, heís going to start believing it to the point that he may not be preparing quite the way he should. Rex has been the only coach that we know, in maybe the history of the game that Iím familiar with, that keeps continually telling his guys how good they are. It's rather alarming. I think these guys might be believing that theyíre better than they are."

    --Joe Namath, October 2011


    Joe was crucified on JI for saying that in the 2011 season after the Oakland debacle; he was more right than we'll ever know.

    SAR I

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,598
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You can't have a New York Jets quarterback controversy without getting the opinion of Joe Namath. The outspoken Hall of Fame quarterback had some interesting opinions on his former team, which made a quarterback switch this week to third-stringer Greg McElroy.

    Namath told ESPN's "Mike & Mike" radio show that he feels sorry for former starting quarterback Mark Sanchez. In Namath's opinion, Sanchez was never given a chance to succeed this year.

    "Well, I know he's gotten a bad shake," Namath explained. "I don't think he's had the right kind of coaching. I donít think he's had the right kind of help offensively. It is a team game. I know Mark's looked really bad these last several games and has played poorly. But I do believe he's not as bad a quarterback as he's made out to be or as he's played these last few games."

    Namath went on to say that Sanchez "deserves better at this stage." Most of the national criticism has been on Sanchez for committing five turnovers in Monday's loss to the Tennessee Titans. But Namath is one of the few coming to Sanchez's defense.

    Namath still believes Sanchez is a viable starting NFL quarterback. Namath just doesn't think the Jets are a viable NFL franchise.

    "I think he's going to be around for a long time," Namath said. "I hope for his sake it's not with the Jets."

    SAR I
    Did Namath refer to the Jets as a "joke" and actually say "the Jets are a not a viable NFL franchise."

    I'm reading the quotes and I don't understand how you can get away with those inflammatory extrapolations.

  9. #9
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Did Namath refer to the Jets as a "joke" and actually say "the Jets are a not a viable NFL franchise."

    I'm reading the quotes and I don't understand how you can get away with those inflammatory extrapolations.
    The three statements together make that assumption pretty clear.

    1. "Mark will be around for a long time."
    2. "I hope for his sake its not with the Jets."
    3. "Namath doesn't think the Jets are a viable NFL franchise." (author)

    SAR I

  10. #10
    I respectfully disagree with the honorable Mr. Namath, and my good friend SAR I, as stated at great length elsewhere.

    Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

  11. #11

    Buttchese is the joke

    As long as the Butt Fumble video plays on You Tube and on ESPN Buttchese will never be considered as a viable QB on any NFL team now and forever.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Did Namath refer to the Jets as a "joke" and actually say "the Jets are a not a viable NFL franchise."

    I'm reading the quotes and I don't understand how you can get away with those inflammatory extrapolations.
    I listened to the whole segment and I was pretty surprised at Joe's comments but I never heard those extrapolations either.

  13. #13
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I respectfully disagree with the honorable Mr. Namath, and my good friend SAR I, as stated at great length elsewhere.

    Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Are you saying that with Ladanian Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards, Plaxico Burress, Leon Washington, Santonio Holmes, Damien Woody, Alan Faneca, Dustin Keller, and Jericho Cotchery all healthy and all playing at their 2009/2010 levels that Mark Sanchez and the Jets are only a 7 win team in 2012?

    SAR I

  14. #14
    Yeah, Joe never actually said those things. to say he did is false and you are just trying to bend the quotes to improve your one-way mindset of this team. have some fkn respect for us who actually use facts in our posts

  15. #15
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Yeah, Joe never actually said those things. to say he did is false and you are just trying to bend the quotes to improve your one-way mindset of this team. have some fkn respect for us who actually use facts in our posts
    ESPN: "Namath just doesn't think the Jets are a viable NFL franchise."

    Namath: "I think he's going to be around for a long time, I hope for his sake it's not with the Jets."

    Yeah, that's quite a stretch there.

    If your wife said "I think you're going to be a great husband, I just hope for my sake it's not with me" would that not imply that she thinks you're a joke? That sounds neutral to you? That sounds like words of support?

    SAR I

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I'm not surprised by Namath's feelings on Sanchez, but I am a bit shocked at how he is trying to disown the Jets organization.

    No one remembers, but Namath warned us this was coming two years ago. He's been spot-on about this edition of the Jets since the day it started.

    SAR I
    This. There have been a few of us on the board that stayed strong with our opinions in light of a large amount of criticism from the homers.

    Joe Namath has been spot on with his assessment of these currently run JETS.

    Funny, Tannenbaum was a pretty good GM before the pressure of the big singning and selling out draft picks all in the name of securing more PSLs for the owner, Mr Woody Tebow.....

    Tannenbaum, Rex, Sporano, all useless at this point, all need to be replaced.

    But our issues are bigger than than that.......

    because you cant replace the owner, we are in deep trouble

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Did Namath refer to the Jets as a "joke" and actually say "the Jets are a not a viable NFL franchise."

    I'm reading the quotes and I don't understand how you can get away with those inflammatory extrapolations.
    He's in Canton, won the only Championship in franchise history and ushered in the "New NFL" by beating the "Old NFL" champion when no one thought the "AFL" teams were worth a hoot and teams like the Patriots were still looking for places to play week to week. In other words, he's an icon in New York and across the league. I don't know a serious football fan anywhere who doesn't respect what Number 12 did in SB III and what "Broadway Joe" still means for the game.

    That doesn't mean I think Joe Willie is infallible, just that he has more than earned the right to express his opinion about the Jets as strongly as he wants.

    I think he is right that until Woody Johnson fires himself or sells the team (yeah, right, that's gonna happen) this will not be a viable franchise.

    Woody bought a big, expensive toy with his daddy's money, doesn't know how to play with it and is breaking it like a two year old demolishes his Christmas presents.

    I think Namath is wrong on Sanchez. I don't know how one can look at Sanchez' turnovers and his steady decline over the last two seasons and see anything other than the journeyman, back-up QB that I think he will become. But Namath knows a lot more about being a QB in the NFL than I do.
    Last edited by NYCFan; 12-19-2012 at 07:06 PM.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Did Namath refer to the Jets as a "joke" and actually say "the Jets are a not a viable NFL franchise."

    I'm reading the quotes and I don't understand how you can get away with those inflammatory extrapolations.
    Right.

  19. #19
    I don't know, to me, Joe Namath sounds more and more like a senile and bitter old man.

  20. #20
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,598
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCFan View Post
    He's in Canton, won the only Championship in franchise history and ushered in the "New NFL" by beating the "Old NFL" champion when no one thought the "AFL" teams were worth a hoot and teams like the Patriots were still looking for places to play week to week. In other words, he's an icon in New York and across the league. I don't know a serious football fan anywhere who doesn't respect what Number 12 did in SB III and what "Broadway Joe" still means for the game.

    That doesn't mean I think Joe Willie is infallible, just that he has more than earned the right to express his opinion about the Jets as strongly as he wants.

    I think he is right that until Woody Johnson fires himself or sells the team (yeah, right, that's gonna happen) this will not be a viable franchise. Woody bought a big, expensive toy with his daddy's money, doesn't know how to play with it and is breaking it like a two year old demolishes his Christmas presents.

    I think Namath is wrong on Sanchez. I don't know how one can look at Sanchez' turnovers and his steady decline over the last two seasons and see anything other than the journeyman, back-up QB that I think he will become. But Namath knows a lot more about being a QB in the NFL than I do.
    My point is not to agree or disagree with the assessment. (IMO tHe Jets and Sanchez are both jokes) - my point is that SAR's header and the author's "interpretation" falsely sensationalize the comments.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us