Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Namath: The Jets Are The Joke, Not Mark Sanchez

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    If Drew Brees or Joe Flacco had those nine playmakers removed from their offense and replaced with the nine bums we have how good a season would they have?

Mark has one dependable wide receiver. He is tiny and gets covered very easily.

Mark has no dump off running back. No one to replace LaDainian Tomlinson or Leon Washington, two of the best in the NFL at taking a broken play and making it positive.

Mark has to rely on his tight ends to make tough catches and they don't. His best receiving target hasn't been able to stay healthy the past two seasons.

The running game is weak, opposing defensive coordinator's don't have to respect it.

The offensive line is suspect, giving Mark little time to make many of his throws.

No quarterback in the NFL could succeed in that situation. Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Sammy Baugh would all be epic busts and being thrown out of town with that kind of supporting cast.

Mark Sanchez is playing terribly right now and deserves his benching. But he also deserves another look next year, and he will get it.

SAR I
    Sanchez deserves another chance?

LOL

The only thing that Sanchez deserves is a one way ticket out of town. We've made him a multi-millionaire and the only thing he has done is consistently rank in the bottom 3 among starting QB's since entering the league.

If you want to delude yourself once again into thinking that Sanchez just needs another receiver or two to develop into the player we drafted him to be...well, have at it.

Me? I've seen enough to know that Sanchez is what he is. A mediocre at best QB with piss poor accuracy and a penchant for turning the ball over at the most crucial times. A guy who needs to be surrounded by supreme talent all over the place just to perform at a halfway decent level.

Get him out of here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have known about the weakness of this offense since July. I'm flabbergasted as to why everyone is going crazy about it here in December when we have been seeing this the entire season. Nothing about Mark Sanchez's performance in Tennessee is any different than any other offensive performance this entire year. Running backs don't run, wide receivers don't catch, OL doesn't block, coordinator is lost, Mark Sanchez takes the blame.

Mark Sanchez is good when he had playmakers like:

Edwards,
    Holmes,
    Cotchery,
    Burress,
    Keller,
    Tomlinson,
    Richardson,
    Jones,
    Washington.

Mark Sanchez isn't good when he has fap like:

Schillens,
    Hill,
    Kerley,
    McKnight,
    Gates,
    Hilliard,
    Reuland,
    Gilyard,
    Greene.

No quarterback could succeed with this group of offensive sh-t. And I didn't list the offensive line. And I didn't talk about the coordinator.

If we had replaced these players with higher-quality playmakers we still may not be 100% pleased with Mark Sanchez's progress, but he certainly would be our starting quarterback and we certainly be on pace to be an 11 win team.

This is the reason why Mark Sanchez will stay with the Jets, why he will get a good look in training camp, and why he will be the starting quarterback in 2013.

SAR I

First off, let me say that I agree to disagree with Joe as far as Sanchez's ability as a QB go. I think that he'd be a pretty solid BACKUP somewhere in the league.....but NOT a starter. These 4 years(even including the playoff ones) prove that he just isn't someone a team can build around.

I truly believe him only going to college for one year hurt him IMMENSELY in the long run whereas he could've been able to refine his game and maybe be in a better position after 3 more years there.

Regardless, that was then, this is now. And "now" is the time we have to bid adieu to Mark and hope he can land a job as a Backup somewhere 'cause that's all that teams will view him as, based on what they've seen(butt-fumble notwithstanding).

Oh and Mark will be the Starting QB in 2013 because of a huge chunk of change(extension) that Tanny-BUM idiotically gave him to soothe his ego after RIGHTLY going after Peyton Manning....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't always agreed with SAR in the past, but totally agree here. Sanchez deserves to sit for the rest of the season. But I lay the blame with the organization. Sooner or later, with no real weapons on offense, any great QB would get skittish and regress. Mark is by no means great; but he was set up to fail, and once things went downhill, they picked up speed.

Really think now that the only way forward is to completely clean house and bring in a new program with a disciplined front office and coaching staff. Sanchez and McElroy will be on the roster next year. So too will a journeyman or a rookie. I think that staff needs to have an open competition to see who is the quarterback for the 1st year of that new program. Hopefully, they start bringing in some real weapons to help develop the qb.

But I think the colossal failures this year should cost both Tanny and Rex their jobs. Rex has shown me nothing in his ability to develop a QB; he is a good defensive coordinator, that's it. One might wonder if Norv or Andy Reid would be good options for OC with Rex as coach, but under Rex the team has become too much of a circus... it's not working, and won't be corrected if Woody tries to get cute by tinkering with the offensive staff.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post
    Not Good.....EVER

Sanchez Simply the Worst
    Since his rookie season in 2009, Mark Sanchez ranks last in the NFL in four of the most important statistical categories for a quarterback (minimum 1,800 attempts). Also, his 87 turnovers since 2009 are second-most in the NFL, just one behind Eli Manning (88).
    Category Stats NFL Rank
    Pass yards 11,887 Last
    Pass TD 68 Last
    Comp pct. 55.2 Last
    TD/Int. ratio 1.00 Last
    -- ESPN Stats & Information
    Oh, so we want to play the stats game? Me likey.

A run of 16-4, the best in the history of the franchise.

4 road playoff wins, the best postseason quarterback in history of the franchise.

5 miracle comeback wins in 10 weeks, the best stretch in the history of the franchise.

Beat Ben Rothlisberger, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady in the months of December and January, all on the road, all high-pressure games.

Was the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC championship game appearances.

You like your stats? Mine are more important. Stat-master Chad Pennington couldn't win a high-pressure game if his life depended on it, couldn't even stay on the field. We find a quarterback who is clutch late in games and in the postseason, and you want to throw him out because the team has abandoned him and took away all of his playmakers.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if Namath knows he is a direct contributor to this circus/train wreck culture the general public -- and, unfortunately, many of the teams "fans" -- believes exists around the club.

The pride of the Jets, winner of the team's lone Super Bowl, is constantly ripping into the team, and thanks to ESPN and NFL net, etc., a lot of people hear that (those media outlets make sure of it). But when those people other than Jets fans hear Namath, they think of the MNF incident, then maybe the super bowl win. And he has the stones to call the Jets out for their decisions.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Beat Ben Rothlisberger, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady in the months of December and January, all on the road, all high-pressure games.

SAR I
    actually, quarterbacks don't beat other quarterbacks. It's the defense that beats the quarterback. And the Jets defense helped immensely in those games you are referring to. Sanchez at Pitt 1st time, bleh. Then at Indy, bleh bleh. Then he had a good game at NE, but also left points on the field and the Jets D sacked Brady 5 times and held them to 5 of 14 on 3rd downs and 0 for 2 on 4th.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    I wonder if Namath knows he is a direct contributor to this circus/train wreck culture the general public -- and, unfortunately, many of the teams "fans" -- believes exists around the club.
    Look, I too could do without Namath's constant public slamming of the team, but...

He is one of the lone voices in the media who is at least pointing the finger in the right direction. If you read the papers, because that's what sells them, you'd think the Jets problem is just the quarterback. It's not.

Let Joe go crazy, scream it to the high heavens, Rex Ryan is our bigger issue. His strategy doesn't work. And he's neutered his quarterback trying to do what a defensive coordinator run amok would do- build only a defense, ignore the offense.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    actually, quarterbacks don't beat other quarterbacks. It's the defense that beats the quarterback. And the Jets defense helped immensely in those games you are referring to. Sanchez at Pitt 1st time, bleh. Then at Indy, bleh bleh. Then he had a good game at NE, but also left points on the field and the Jets D sacked Brady 5 times and held them to 5 of 14 on 3rd downs and 0 for 2 on 4th.
    Mark Sanchez 2012 doesn't win those three games if they were played this year because Mark Sanchez 2012 doesn't have the likes of Tomlinson, Edwards, Holmes, Richardson, Cotchery, and the other playmakers we cast aside since then.

It's hysterical how you dismiss his contributions in the good years and blame him for 100% of our problems in the bad years. Have you seen our defense? Especially against decent competition? In the last two seasons, we are 1-11 against teams that end the year with a winning record. That's on the head coach, the defense, the running game, and the special teams. That's #1 through #4.

Mark Sanchez is #5.

Talk about the other 4. Let's hear it. Tell us how our head coach, defense, running game, and special teams are just crushing it this year and they're being held back by our, sniff-sniff, quarterback. I dare you. Do it. Go. Do it now. Make sure you talk about the 90 seconds in New England. Make sure you talk about the no-show against the Dolphins backup. Make sure you talk about Thanksgiving.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez 2012 doesn't win those three games if they were played this year because Mark Sanchez 2012 doesn't have the likes of Tomlinson, Edwards, Holmes, Richardson, Cotchery, and the other playmakers we cast aside since then.

It's hysterical how you dismiss his contributions in the good years and blame him for 100% of our problems in the bad years. Have you seen our defense? Especially against decent competition? In the last two seasons, we are 1-11 against teams that end the year with a winning record. That's on the head coach, the defense, the running game, and the special teams. That's #1 through #4.

Mark Sanchez is #5.

Talk about the other 4. Let's hear it. Tell us how our head coach, defense, running game, and special teams are just crushing it this year and they're being held back by our, sniff-sniff, quarterback. I dare you. Do it. Go. Do it now. Make sure you talk about the 90 seconds in New England. Make sure you talk about the no-show against the Dolphins backup. Make sure you talk about Thanksgiving.

SAR I
    Keep the D out of this.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, so we want to play the stats game? Me likey.

A run of 16-4, the best in the history of the franchise.

4 road playoff wins, the best postseason quarterback in history of the franchise.

5 miracle comeback wins in 10 weeks, the best stretch in the history of the franchise.

Was the best Jet on the field in 2 AFC championship game appearances.

You like your stats? Mine are more important. Stat-master Chad Pennington couldn't win a high-pressure game if his life depended on it, couldn't even stay on the field. We find a quarterback who is clutch late in games and in the postseason, and you want to throw him out because the team has abandoned him and took away all of his playmakers.

SAR I
    You make a case that he definitely deserves a chance to win the job next year, but it has to be a make or break season. A question for you....why the hate for Shonn Greene? He's got 951 yards, averaging 3.9/carry. You talk about a guy they don't use properly. He should get 20-22 carries/game because he is a guy who gets stronger as game goes on. He could be a much bigger part of the game every week, and I blame the coaching staff. They drafted him out of Iowa for a reason, and they refuse to use him that way.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Sanchez is #5.

SAR I
    Good God man

In the last 3 games, this defense has given up 6, 10, and 14 points.

How the hell you can pin our struggles on them is mind boggling. The defense set up Sanchez with multiple chances to win the Titans game and he proceeded to sh*t his pantaloons. What else is new?

So you're basically saying that if we get down by 10 points, we're screwed?

Wow, what a ringing endorsement for our "franchise" QB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Sanchez is #5.

SAR I
    I understand the defense hasn't stepped up in every game. And the special teams was off this season. But Sanchez, and I have been a supporter for so long, doesn't show up at all -- not in 2 seasons. He just does not make anyone better on this team. Good players do that.

Look around the league. Russell Wilson tossing passes all over the field to Golden Tate? Chad Henne to Cecil Shorts? Even rookies who were riding the pine -- and behind suspect lines -- Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles are making plays. Sanchez is not. And he has not made progress in any aspect of quarterbacking. Coaching is part of the problem, but good players can get better on their own. Can't hold his hand on everything.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Good God man

In the last 3 games, this defense has given up 6, 10, and 14 points.

How the hell you can pin our struggles on them is mind boggling. The defense set up Sanchez with multiple chances to win the Titans game and he proceeded to sh*t his pantaloons. What else is new?

So you're basically saying that if we get down by 10 points, we're screwed?

Wow, what a ringing endorsement for our "franchise" QB.
    More importantly, when they played less sh*t teams before these last 3 they kept them in the game for 3 whole quarters I mean what the phuck more do you want the D to do.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    As crummy as the Jets coaching is, I'm gonna laugh like hell when Greg McElroy comes out and plays well in the next two games.

Most of the Sanchez supporters have slinked back into the shadows, but a few stubborn apologists like to cherry pick highlights from two seasons ago.

Sanchez lost the Titan game all by himself...as well as quite a few others this year. He was told to take care of the football. He didn't.

He's not a "viable" quarterback at this time, and he hasn't been one since week 3.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    As crummy as the Jets coaching is, I'm gonna laugh like hell when Greg McElroy comes out and plays well in the next two games.

Most of the Sanchez supporters have slinked back into the shadows, but a few stubborn apologists like to cherry pick highlights from two seasons ago.

Sanchez lost the Titan game all by himself...as well as quite a few others this year. He was told to take care of the football. He didn't.

He's not a "viable" quarterback at this time, and he hasn't been one since week 3.
    Even if he does don't go celebrating too much. Sanchez started out well too then the NFL gets a book on a guy on how to defend him. There isn't any real film on McElroy yet (20 minutes against AZ where he threw a few passes doesn't count)

And yes, I like McElroy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested to see the playcalling for McElroy. But I am more interested in hearing Namath's postgame comments re: his Bama boy GMAC's starting debut

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    As we already know, QB play is a huge factor in this league. The Broncos were 8-8 last season. They put in a hall of fame QB, now with minimal changes to the roster, they might be one of the best teams in the conference.

I'm sure that a certain amount of roster turnover can hurt a QB, but to the point of being statistically one of the worst QB's in the league? To make matters worse his comp%, turnover ratio, passing accuracy% (as tracked by pro football focus) etc have always been terrible by NFL standards.

We can talk about lack of receiving weapons, but teams like the bucs, lions, and cardinals are heavy weights in these areas and are not playoff teams. Josh Freeman is still a mediocre quarterback. His Qb rating has primarily improved because of big plays (particularly to V Jackson). Those type of plays correlate to his skill set (he has a really big arm); this also applies to Matt Stafford (although I think he is a better quarterback).

During the offseason, Sanchez was ranked as one of the worst Qb's in the league. Many thought that the individuals that did the ranking were mad. But in hindsight, one particular guy made a point that highlights Sanchez's problems as quarterback(and I'm paraphrasing): he has the mentality of a gunslinger but doesn't have the skillset of a gunslinger. He makes late reads, and although he doesn't have a weak arm, he doesn't have the arm strength to overcompensate for it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post

Here we go again with the revisionist history.

Mark Sanchez had a 3-0 lead.

Defense gives up a 94 yard TD on a single play.

Mark Sanchez drives us back with a 17 yard TD to take a 10-0 lead.

Defense gives up a 64 yard TD answer-back drive by Jake Locker.

Had the defense done its job, the Jets win this game just like the prior two contests 10-3 or 10-7. They were given a 3rd quarter lead against a terrible team and couldn't hold the lead. Mark Sanchez' turnovers later on were brutal, but the backbone of our team- the defense- had a 3rd quarter lead and gave it up.

SAR I

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If Drew Brees or Joe Flacco had those nine playmakers removed from their offense and replaced with the nine bums we have how good a season would they have?

Mark has one dependable wide receiver. He is tiny and gets covered very easily.

Mark has no dump off running back. No one to replace LaDainian Tomlinson or Leon Washington, two of the best in the NFL at taking a broken play and making it positive.

Mark has to rely on his tight ends to make tough catches and they don't. His best receiving target hasn't been able to stay healthy the past two seasons.

The running game is weak, opposing defensive coordinator's don't have to respect it.

The offensive line is suspect, giving Mark little time to make many of his throws.

No quarterback in the NFL could succeed in that situation. Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Sammy Baugh would all be epic busts and being thrown out of town with that kind of supporting cast.

Mark Sanchez is playing terribly right now and deserves his benching. But he also deserves another look next year, and he will get it.

SAR I
    Drew Brees would have this team in the playoffs. The Jets defense is much better than the Saints d. Drew Bree's is a leader of men and a skilled professional.

Joe Flacco is terrible. I don't know why you'd even mention him.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez turned the ball over 5 times.

Case closed.